Hifaleetin' thoughts

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Screechings of the Great Unwashed (Meander to the Morgue

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Badges can be faked. Really.. easily, frankly. Unless you're pretty familiar with what the badge for your local precinct looks like, odds are you won't know it's "Wrong" just by looking at it.

Hence.. getting a marked car to show up. Those are... while not impossible to fake, kinda difficult to fake. Particularly if you are the one calling the station.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

But what if they've faked the police station? And the emergency services call centre.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Hush, you mustn't say such things where the fake police can read them!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

"Fora Police Department... Why yes, sir, he's one of our best officers."
Attachments
Screenshot.png

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

BOBBY! <3

*ahem*
Ⓞⓞ◯

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Badges can be faked. Really.. easily, frankly. Unless you're pretty familiar with what the badge for your local precinct looks like, odds are you won't know it's "Wrong" just by looking at it.

Hence.. getting a marked car to show up. Those are... while not impossible to fake, kinda difficult to fake. Particularly if you are the one calling the station.

Over here they don't even have badges to begin with.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Badges can be faked. Really.. easily, frankly. Unless you're pretty familiar with what the badge for your local precinct looks like, odds are you won't know it's "Wrong" just by looking at it.

Easy solution - get in a fight with the person with the badge. If you get charged with assaulting a police officer, he was real!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Badges can be faked. Really.. easily, frankly. Unless you're pretty familiar with what the badge for your local precinct looks like, odds are you won't know it's "Wrong" just by looking at it.

Easy solution - get in a fight with the person with the badge. If you get charged with assaulting a police officer, he was real!

Or insist to be taken to the police station. If he's arrested for impersonating an officer, he was fake.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Badges can be faked. Really.. easily, frankly. Unless you're pretty familiar with what the badge for your local precinct looks like, odds are you won't know it's "Wrong" just by looking at it.

Or get shot by him. If it provokes indiscriminate looting and rioting, then he was real.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

Actually, also, neither of our solutions helps. If the car is actually someone who wants to steal your car at gunpoint, calling for a marked car will take waaaaay too long, and if you ask to show a badge they're going to just point a gun in your face.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

micco

Postby micco » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

I dislike this version of firefox... It feels slow and kinda sticky.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

Screech: Rant Thread (Rantom Like the Plague)

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

I drank too much caffeine and now I feel awful.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:BOBBY! <3

*ahem*

Bobby is my favorite too.

And he is the best there is.
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:49 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:Actually, also, neither of our solutions helps. If the car is actually someone who wants to steal your car at gunpoint, calling for a marked car will take waaaaay too long, and if you ask to show a badge they're going to just point a gun in your face.

And then you drive like a madperson because you have not turned off your engine, put your car in park or rolled down a window?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:Actually, also, neither of our solutions helps. If the car is actually someone who wants to steal your car at gunpoint, calling for a marked car will take waaaaay too long, and if you ask to show a badge they're going to just point a gun in your face.

Why is someone (who was in a vehicle) attempting to steal another automobile with a firearm? Eliminates the major advantage: the pretense of being law enforcement. Seems too elaborate to evade actual police officers. Sounds silly to scrap it for parts (without an accomplice). Is too visible also. Steal it when the owner is unaware. Provides time to escape.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

And then you drive like a madperson because you have not turned off your engine, put your car in park or rolled down a window?

Why would the window matter? In fact it would be better to roll down the windows because then they're less likely to get broken.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

I can reach in through an open window and grab you. Not that I often pretend to be a police officer and pull people over. I can't drive, for a start.
Ⓞⓞ◯

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I can't drive, for a start.
That's doesn't stop most of the people on the road.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Kang

Postby Kang » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Deva wrote:

Why is someone (who was in a vehicle) attempting to steal another automobile with a firearm? Eliminates the major advantage: the pretense of being law enforcement. Seems too elaborate to evade actual police officers. Sounds silly to scrap it for parts (without an accomplice). Is too visible also. Steal it when the owner is unaware. Provides time to escape.

Yes, if both have a car it would make much more sense to seize the prize in full drive using swords. (Yes, I am waiting for someone to link that Family Guy sequence)

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:I can reach in through an open window and grab you. Not that I often pretend to be a police officer and pull people over. I can't drive, for a start.

That reminds me of an episode from the American Torchwood: Miracle day. Oh funny Welsh girl..
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:11 am UTC

What is it about cold that's so conducive to puns?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:28 am UTC

Whenever I hear No More Tears by Ozzy Osbourne, I always think of shampoo. Damn you, advertising!

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:42 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:No. The cool air from the sea prevents the air from getting warm enough to produce thunderstorms. We get plenty of rain, though.

This. :( I miss lightning.

One midnight a lightning storm struck us nearby with almost no sound. I thought it was either the TV or helicopters surveying our home.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

My dog is getting old and it's beginning to show. He still has the enthusiasm of a puppy, but he's been getting slower and has a few grey hairs now. I love that animal so much, it's going to be absolutely devastating when he goes. I snapped a photo of him when I last visited my parent's place, and I've just loaded it up on my computer. It's shocking really. His head is low, his grey hairs are clearly visible, and his eyes seem to lack the enthusiasm and vitality I've come to expect in him.

He's not dead yet and he's in perfect health for a dog his age, but here I am, already mourning him.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Feddlefew

Postby Feddlefew » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:My dog is getting old and it's beginning to show. He still has the enthusiasm of a puppy, but he's been getting slower and has a few grey hairs now. I love that animal so much, it's going to be absolutely devastating when he goes. I snapped a photo of him when I last visited my parent's place, and I've just loaded it up on my computer. It's shocking really. His head is low, his grey hairs are clearly visible, and his eyes seem to lack the enthusiasm and vitality I've come to expect in him.

He's not dead yet and he's in perfect health for a dog his age, but here I am, already mourning him.

Make the rest of his life as wonderful as possible. If you're sad, he will be too.
My spelling is abysmal. Just saying.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Actually he won't. I don't live with the dog any more. I left home, and the dog stayed with the parents.

It Should Be Real
Ninja Sauce Container

Postby It Should Be Real » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Long shot: does anyone here know guitar, have some method of recording themselves playing the guitar, and want to do me a giant favour in return for the promise of delicious brownies and my eternal gratitude? Your musics would be part of a comedy show. You'd be slightly famous! (... please? Pleasepleaseplease. Please.)

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

I'll give it a try.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

I love the new HTML5 Pandora, but now I can't scrobble my songs to Last.fm using Like.fm or currently available Firefox extensions.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:38 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:My dog is getting old and it's beginning to show. He still has the enthusiasm of a puppy, but he's been getting slower and has a few grey hairs now. I love that animal so much, it's going to be absolutely devastating when he goes. I snapped a photo of him when I last visited my parent's place, and I've just loaded it up on my computer. It's shocking really. His head is low, his grey hairs are clearly visible, and his eyes seem to lack the enthusiasm and vitality I've come to expect in him.

my BF does this once in a while for his cats. Nummins in particular he is very attached to, though Victoria is the one getting old. His last cat that died he went into mourning for like a week. his gf had to go pick up the ashes from the vet because he couldn't. He meant to never have another cat so he didn't have to go through this. but then people left cats with him. it was either you take them or they're going to the pound. and so now every once awhile, especially when one gets lost, he mourns for the future.
ImageImageImageImageImage

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:What is it about cold that's so conducive to puns?

The irritation makes you warm.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Just got some sweet new shoes. Time to try out some cool new lacings and knots which will undoubtedly soon be replaced by a loose standard knot that I don't even bother to undo when I take the shoes off.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

The iPad 1 launch thread is seriously the most interesting thread for me to look back on.

It's a year and a half old It's interesting to see how a lot of the negative feedback never turned into reality, how some of the wishes turned real in the iPad 2 and iOS advances, and how technology turns so rapidly.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

I will only get an ipad when it actually fits in my eye.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

An iPad that small would probably have a retina display.

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

Idea:
Instead of going to mars straight away, we built up a satelite network, similar to ours (GPS, Weather, Camera-Satelites) including a Space Station (which will be heavily automated by robots until we get humans there). From there we will have a much easier way to both shooting ground robots to the interesting regions of mars, as well as getting humans there.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

softchews

Postby softchews » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:39 pm UTC

You don't know pride. You don't know fear. You don't know anything. You'll be perfect.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Not sure if fake.

I can't work out what could cause a noise like that. Sounds like the wind causing some kind of resonance somewhere, but I can't work out what it's resonating with.

My other theory is this is a viral ad for a prequel to Half Life 2, because the Combine are about to invade.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 pm UTC

dumbzebra wrote:Idea:
Instead of going to mars straight away, we built up a satelite network, similar to ours (GPS, Weather, Camera-Satelites) including a Space Station (which will be heavily automated by robots until we get humans there). From there we will have a much easier way to both shooting ground robots to the interesting regions of mars, as well as getting humans there.

I think we are slowly heading this way. When I grew up, Viking was big news, and Mars missions were big, expensive and short lived. At time of writing I think we have, currently orbiting Mars:
- 2001 Mars Odyssey, using spectrometers and thermal imaging to look for evidence of water and volcanic gassing
- Mars Express, taking high-level images and radar soundings (and delivering the Beagle 2 lander that was kidnapped by martians)
- The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which does a bit of everything. It takes images, it scans potential landing sites, it studies atmospheric conditions and acts as a weather satellite and it’s also a communications satellite for other current and future missions.
- Finally, there’s the Mars Global Surveyor, which is my favourite because:
a) the images are so good it could see you sitting at your desk (if you were on Mars, which would be a surprise)
b) at our request NASA retasked it so that it would take images of a site that my research partner and I were particularly interested in studying (it’s a weird thought that a satellite in orbit around another planet is responding to your request)
c) It takes pictures like this:
Spoiler:
Landslide.jpg
Yes, that’s a land-slide on the surface of Mars

Oh, and Mariner 9 is also in orbit, but now defunct. Plus, the Mars Exploration Rover, Opportunity which is still trundling around on the surface (although these days I believe it only goes backwards)
So, good idea. Give us time.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Return to “General”