Thoughts for ships

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

FierceContinent

Re: Fluff

Postby FierceContinent » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:I'm in a position with far more responsabilities than I've ever had before. It seems to me that everybody starts out just sort of winging it until they learn to do it properly, and/or to be convincing enough that people believe you know what you're doing.When I started at my current job, soon I had to make phone calls to our clients, something I've never done before. I was totally nervous imagining they would say or ask something I wasn't prepared for and that I would screw up.Sooner than you expect, things will come naturally to you as you learn and get used to this sort of activity. :)

Impossible stuff becomes routine pretty quickly.

Of course later on you get so used to it that you forget that you learned anything at all.

You assume that reformatting a computer or making up media is something everyone knows how to do.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:56 pm UTC

I should do shit.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:30 pm UTC

Through rigorous experiment and empirical analysis, I have concluded that my phone charges up more quickly using a very short USB cable than when using a long USB cable. On the short cable, I get approximately 1% of total capacity per minute. On the long cable, I get about 1% every 4 minutes. Is there a reason for this? How much power leakage per unit length could there possibly be on a plastic-insulated cable?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

speising

Postby speising » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

do you find puddles of electrons under the cable?

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Through rigorous experiment and empirical analysis, I have concluded that my phone charges up more quickly using a very short USB cable than when using a long USB cable. On the short cable, I get approximately 1% of total capacity per minute. On the long cable, I get about 1% every 4 minutes. Is there a reason for this? How much power leakage per unit length could there possibly be on a plastic-insulated cable?

It's a good question.
You kept notes?
You did the Math?

You need to go to the Science Forum.
It must be more than resistance.

The machine, its self, may respond to the heat, differently.
Like a hose that is long...

I have no idea.
The idea of Caring, gets my attention.

It charges in 1 minute.
It charges in 4 minutes.
It Charges!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:45 pm UTC

I recall my dad (electrical engineer) describing how longer wire decreases voltage due to resistance. I don't remember his exact explanation, though it's probably googlable.

The occasion was his attempt at hiding a burglar alarm in the crawl space* so it couldn't be easily silenced by an intruder. He had to run a very long wire to power it, which was causing the alarm to make low-power beeps. There was a battery involved somewhere. I forget most of the details.

I haven't been much help, I think.

* rough, low-ceiling basement, for those unfamiliar with the term
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

Voltage does decrease as the length of a cable increases, but when I talk about a long USB cable, I'm talking maybe 50cm. The short cable is about 10cm. Such a big disparity in charging rates seems very odd. Occasionally, on the long cable, the phone actually loses charge because the power coming in is outpaced by the energy used to run the phone's operating system in standby.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

I seem to recall electrons moving at like 1 cm/second, so that makes sense

[/dadphysics]
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

I think your long cable's got a break in it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:10 pm UTC

See you at the party, Richter!

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:45 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Through rigorous experiment and empirical analysis, I have concluded that my phone charges up more quickly using a very short USB cable than when using a long USB cable. On the short cable, I get approximately 1% of total capacity per minute. On the long cable, I get about 1% every 4 minutes. Is there a reason for this? How much power leakage per unit length could there possibly be on a plastic-insulated cable?

My guess is that it has to do with the USB having two charging modes 100mA and 500mA. With the longer cable the voltage drop across the wires resistance drops the 5 volt supply below some threshold. The device then switches to 100mA mode in order to maintain the 5 volts above this threshold. This mode shift would give 5 to 1 but the 500mA charging has more losses than 100mA charging getting your 4 to 1 result.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:49 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I think your long cable's got a break in it.

That would be the Easy answer.

But; The Man has Data.
Someone has to at least Look at the Data.

Data or no data.
Your short cable seems to perform better than your long cable.

Do you Need a long cable?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:09 am UTC

Wnderer wrote:

My guess is that it has to do with the USB having two charging modes 100mA and 500mA. With the longer cable the voltage drop across the wires resistance drops the 5 volt supply below some threshold. The device then switches to 100mA mode in order to maintain the 5 volts above this threshold. This mode shift would give 5 to 1 but the 500mA charging has more losses than 100mA charging getting your 4 to 1 result.

That actually sounds plausible. Thanks. I'll try with some more intermediate length cables and see if I can estimate the point where the mode changes.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:54 am UTC

I bought a dining set over the weekend (the first one I've ever owned) and after getting it put together, I got the motivation to finish cleaning up my apartment (mostly by shoving all of the rest of the stuff I haven't unpacked yet into an unused second bedroom) and redecorating. Here is the result. I'm quite happy with the set-up.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:51 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I bought a dining set over the weekend (the first one I've ever owned) and after getting it put together, I got the motivation to finish cleaning up my apartment (mostly by shoving all of the rest of the stuff I haven't unpacked yet into an unused second bedroom) and redecorating. Here is the result. I'm quite happy with the set-up.

Classy, mature and elegant.

Ok. let me try my Sherlock Holmes Jr thing.

You are less than five miles from work, you love cooking and you travel a lot.
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 am UTC

1. By car, yes. By bicycle (which I'm guessing is how you're estimating that figure), almost. It's about 5.4 miles to work on my bicycle.

2. Yes, but I don't always have the time.

3. I do travel a lot (this is the sixth place I've lived in seven and a half years), but for work, not necessarily for pleasure. I'm guessing you're getting that from the maps. I just really love maps.

Not bad, though.
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:08 pm UTC

I see you laugh in the face of korean fan death. Brave.

Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

Fan death only applies to completely closed rooms. Those windows are open, good sir.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

Also extreme heat and prior dehydration, iirc.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

Giant Speck wrote:1. By car, yes. By bicycle (which I'm guessing is how you're estimating that figure), almost. It's about 5.4 miles to work on my bicycle. 2. Yes, but I don't always have the time. 3. I do travel a lot (this is the sixth place I've lived in seven and a half years), but for work, not necessarily for pleasure. I'm guessing you're getting that from the maps. I just really love maps.Not bad, though.

Aha! Elementary!
*puts on deer stalking cap and puts pipe to mouth (It's for the look. I don't light it)*

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:43 pm UTC

poxic wrote:Also extreme heat and prior dehydration, iirc.

Being extremely drunk to the point of lethal alcohol poisoning is a fairly major contributing factor to many cases of fan death.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:33 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:I bought a dining set over the weekend (the first one I've ever owned) and after getting it put together, I got the motivation to finish cleaning up my apartment (mostly by shoving all of the rest of the stuff I haven't unpacked yet into an unused second bedroom) and redecorating. Here is the result. I'm quite happy with the set-up.

What a beautiful nest in the clouds.
What fun it is to Nest.

Outside your window is a City.
Did you notice that?

It looks lovely and safe in your little nest.
Thank you for showing it to us.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:15 am UTC

I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

That's not a problem in and of itself, but the fact that doing many of these things often requires a degree is. And not even so much the degree, but the fact that the degree costs tens of thousands of dollars to earn.

Even if we still make college kids decide on a "direction" by the time of college, we should help them in finding out what it is.

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:24 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Even if we still make college kids decide on a "direction" by the time of college, we should help them in finding out what it is.

Yeah, I try not to get panicky about this too much.

(Practically, I'm just doing CS because I mostly-sorta-kinda like it, it's a decent degree to have, and I can maybe-hopefully always do something else later if I find something I really want to do for a living.)

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 am UTC

A lot of degrees seem to be pretty much interchangeable these days. I know a lot of STEM people go into banking. I know a chemist who went into patent law, and an engineer who has gone into biology (cartilage and bone, so there was quite a bit of overlap).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.That's not a problem in and of itself, but the fact that doing many of these things often requires a degree is. And not even so much the degree, but the fact that the degree costs tens of thousands of dollars to earn.Even if we still make college kids decide on a "direction" by the time of college, we should help them in finding out what it is.

That's what guidance councillors do isn't it?

Anyway if you don't know what you want to do just go for something easy that pays well (government job? construction? pharmaceutical?).
later if you decide you want to join the circus or whatever, you'd be better prepared than if you just dithered.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:06 am UTC

FierceContinent wrote:That's what guidance councillors do isn't it?

Theoretically. I told my guidance councillor (called "career advisor" in the UK) that I was interested in marine biology. I was advised to go into shipbuilding. Needless to say I stopped listening to someone who told me I should go into a declining industry (at least in the UK) with only tangential relevance to what my actual interests were.

Edit: Just realised that Djehutynakht is asking for actual advice here, and this probably isn't the most helpful response (sorry, should read the conversation before posting). So, some actual advice:

1) There do exist good guidance councillors.
2) They are normally better at dealing with your situation (not sure what you want to do) than my situation (already narrowing down my career choice to something too specific).
3) That said make sure you "sanity check" what they say before following their advice, as with any advice about important decisions.

I can't really comment on the college/not-college decsision in the US, because I'm in the UK and the situation is a lot different here, but if I was in the situation of making the decision you are making I would start off by deciding the general area you are interested in: physical sciences and engineering; life sciences; social sciences, humanities and law or arts (or some other broad categorisation scheme), then take on board what Angua says about the possibilities of switching field (generally it seems to be easier to switch from a more "hard science/maths" subject to a less "hard science" subject than the other way round). After that do some reading and talking to people - find out if there are any areas which particularly interest you, or if there are any particular jobs which match those interests and how people got into them.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm UTC

Angua wrote:A lot of degrees seem to be pretty much interchangeable these days. I know a lot of STEM people go into banking. I know a chemist who went into patent law, and an engineer who has gone into biology (cartilage and bone, so there was quite a bit of overlap).

I think this has two reasons:

1. There aren't actually that many STEM-jobs to go around. Or, at least not comparable to the amount of people that study these things. Like I'm a physicist by education. If I wanted to stay with physics, I'd basically either be forced to get a PhD, or teach physics. Mathematicians are largely in the same boat. Engineers have it better off, but only so much.
2. Smart and skilled problem solvers familiar with project-type work and learn things quickly are needed everywhere.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 am UTC

It was heavily stressed in my chemical engineering course that what they were really teaching us was 'process engineering', as in the ability to look at any kind of process and analyze/improve/design it. The ideas were taught with the primary subject matter being liquids/gases flowing through pipes, and chemical reactions in big reactors, but those same fundamental principles could equally apply to money flowing through a banking system, or goods in some kind of logistics/supply chain system, for example.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:50 am UTC

Adacore wrote:It was heavily stressed in my chemical engineering course that what they were really teaching us was 'process engineering', as in the ability to look at any kind of process and analyze/improve/design it. The ideas were taught with the primary subject matter being liquids/gases flowing through pipes, and chemical reactions in big reactors, but those same fundamental principles could equally apply to money flowing through a banking system, or goods in some kind of logistics/supply chain system, for example.

How interesting.
I like the way you type.

I listened to a man speak.
He was being questioned by some other guy.

They were talking about applying Physics Math to Economics.
A lot of it went over my head.

Some didn't.
He was exposed to the Math of Economics while visiting a friend.

Some people say Smart People should be isolated from one another.
They are dangerous. After listening to him, I could see their point.

He was able to ably his mathematical skill to large economic models.
That man Rocked The World.

I have no idea how.
You have an idea.

You have some of those wicked math skills.
You can See applications.

Maybe, not clearly.
Very few have that kind of vision.

(shrug) For what it is worth,
I think you are seeing something that is Real.

I can't see it.

While you work,
I'll do the dishes.

Or; Something.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 am UTC

addams wrote:
He was able to ably his mathematical skill to large economic models.
That man Rocked The World.

I have no idea how.

If you work in a field where you have to recognise patterns and apply mathematics to them, you try to see the patterns in other fields and apply math to them too. Really, that's what physics is. Find the patterns, and invent the appropriate math.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:34 am UTC

The Math had been invented.
He recognized an equation in an advanced economics book.

It was not one equation.
It was a whole set of equations he understood better than experts in the field, the moment he looked at them.

You may intuitively know additional applications for your work.
The faculty of both departments may want you to mind your own work.

Without the background, it is very tricky to change disciplines.
He is a Brilliant Man and he was in the right place at the right time.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:03 am UTC

The Xccd comic has mentioned this I think.
Something about engineers buying shares and underestimating the complexity, details of the system and importance of experience . "hey this is just a system"

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:The Xccd comic has mentioned this I think.
Something about engineers buying shares and underestimating the complexity, details of the system and importance of experience . "hey this is just a system"

Yes.
I suppose it is something like that.

Honey; I can't Math my way through much.
Very few people can.

You are among the Fortunate Few.
It seems most engineers understand their privileged positions.

Some may forget there are Greater Minds as well as Lesser Minds.
From such a lofty position, people sometimes forget to look up.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:00 pm UTC

I am at a crossroads. I feel I've become a big fish in a small pond. While it has in the past, I don't feel my current place of work offers much more in terms of personal or professional growth. I have no doubt I can become more than I am, yet I sincerely doubt I will if I do not move on to greener pastures.

After carefully examining my reasons for living where I live, and working where I work, the only real reasons I've come up with is that it's very convenient to live close to your place of employment. And there's a lot of junk I'd have to throw/give away/sell*, and probably move bunch of times before regaining my current living standards. But I have saved up a decent amount of money, so in some sense, even if I were to get rid of stuff and then decide it was a terrible idea and want to backpedal out of my decision, I can honestly just buy everything back (well, not the same instance of the things, but something to replace it).

Still, a big decision...

* It's a bit ridiculous right now though. Half my stuff is still untouched in moving boxes, and I moved into my current apartment back in 2011...

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:01 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I am at a crossroads. I feel I've become a big fish in a small pond. While it has in the past, I don't feel my current place of work offers much more in terms of personal or professional growth. I have no doubt I can become more than I am, yet I sincerely doubt I will if I do not move on to greener pastures.

After carefully examining my reasons for living where I live, and working where I work, the only real reasons I've come up with is that it's very convenient to live close to your place of employment. And there's a lot of junk I'd have to throw/give away/sell*, and probably move bunch of times before regaining my current living standards. But I have saved up a decent amount of money, so in some sense, even if I were to get rid of stuff and then decide it was a terrible idea and want to backpedal out of my decision, I can honestly just buy everything back (well, not the same instance of the things, but something to replace it).

Still, a big decision...

* It's a bit ridiculous right now though. Half my stuff is still untouched in moving boxes, and I moved into my current apartment back in 2011...

You've probably come across this technique before, and it sounds a bit glib, but it isn't intended like that and I've found it really does work for me: toss a coin. Literally get a coin out and toss it in the air saying "heads I move, tails I stay". Often while the coin is in the air you will get a very clear feeling of which way you are hoping it will land - ignore the way it actually lands and go with that feeling.

This works especially well for people (and it sounds like you are one) who have done really good research and reflection, and are just holding back from making a decision.

FierceContinent wrote:The Xccd comic has mentioned this I think.

Yep, this happens as well with physicists who transition into biology (particularly the more complex and poorly understood areas like neuroscience or immunology). Some make the shift really well but some really can't hack that we don't yet know enough of the parameters to even begin to model the whole system in a sensible quantitative way. The best we can do is model simple sub-systems, use those to make rather naive hypotheses about the system as a whole, then test those hypotheses empirically. Actually undertanding the system as a whole is quite some way off still.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 pm UTC

It's this comic, incidentally.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:19 am UTC

Yeah, there's an important point that you shouldn't be overconfident, but I don't think that's a problem for many of the recent graduates I knew. When you start any new job, you're always going to feel like you don't know what you're doing and lack confidence, and you're a fool if you go into it assuming you know exactly what to do, imo. This is especially true for your first job out of school, no matter what it is.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 am UTC

So funny.
What if the New Job is in A Department you have never been in?
oh...Like a Science Major being told they are now a Politician.

You are a smart guy.
How hard can it be?

oh...It's not the intellect that is stressed and overwhelmed.
What is?

oh... I don't know.
I don't want to know.

Have you ever Met any of those People??

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:14 pm UTC

Given that in the '60s alien planets looked like California, and in the '90s and '00s they looked like forests and gravel pits around Vancouver or Toronto, I'd like to extrapolate the following schedule:

Ice planets that look like the arctic: 2040s
Tundra planets that look like Siberia: 2070s
Jungle planets that look like India> 2100s
Planets that look like Australia and Mars: 2150s.

Return to “General”