'shipping Beret guy?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sudo make me a username

'shipping Beret guy?

Postby sudo make me a username » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

That kind of discussion is probably much more common in other kinds of fandoms and not in xkcd. But (using explainxkcd names) Cueball has Megan (usually), and Black hat got his own match in "Journal", so I wonder if the Beret guy, one of my favourite characters, will ever find his own match. He had some sort of a relationship in #1030 (keyed) but I wonder if he could ever have a more lasting one. It seems to me like he can be romantic in his own ways. I wonder if it'll ever happen and if his companion would be of the same archetype (like "danish" to black hat) or maybe an opposite counterpart.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: 'shipping Beret guy?

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:19 pm UTC

You're assuming white beret gives a damn about sex and romance. He's acting on a script he believes he should follow, but doesn't hold to any of the underpinnings or reasoning for the actions. He runs a business that has a soup hose in the wall. He knows that you should key a car in revenge, so he paints a nice key on it. He's an outsider, an alien. He's not necessarily trying to fit in, but he is doing the things he believes he's supposed to do without understanding why, then attaching his own understanding to them.

He's a Cloudcuckoolander.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:44 pm UTC

Beret guy loves everyone unconditionally. He will ship with anything[*]. He is invulnerable to rejection and heartbreak.

[*] predictable reference omitted
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:52 am UTC

Oh right. He did have that one girlfriend in the car keying comic.

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You're assuming white beret gives a damn about sex and romance. He's acting on a script he believes he should follow, but doesn't hold to any of the underpinnings or reasoning for the actions. He runs a business that has a soup hose in the wall. He knows that you should key a car in revenge, so he paints a nice key on it. He's an outsider, an alien. He's not necessarily trying to fit in, but he is doing the things he believes he's supposed to do without understanding why, then attaching his own understanding to them.

He's a Cloudcuckoolander.

First, don't you know you don't link to tvtropes? If I wasn't aware of the danger I could have been stuck there all day. Luckily I was already burnt before so I just skimmed the article to know what you meant, being very careful not to click links...
Anyways I guess you are generally right. But that's also a bit stereotypical. Xkcd characters are usually stereotypes but the common ones sometimes develop to just a tiny bit more. I guess that pre-Journal you could say a similar thing about Black Hat - "he only cares about hurting people, not about relationships". But he is human in the end and so is Beret Guy because all we humans are capable of writing is about humans (yeah, even aliens and fantasy races are essentialy humans with different "quirks" IMO). And many "Cloudcuckoolanders" in other media got their matches.
And like Envelope Generator here says, he loves everything and everyone. He is motivated by that and not only by his "script". He wants to make others happy by giving them what he thinks they want (like the drill to the woodpecker, the mirror to let the starlight go home, the promise to the bee orchid). And that's almost romantic in a sense. I think he could even be a good partner to someone who sees beyond the weirdness.

Return to “General”