xkcd: volume 1?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sudo make me a username

xkcd: volume 1?

Postby sudo make me a username » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

I recently recieved my copy of xkcd: volume 0. Awesome book! Really good selection of comics. And the codes. So many codes, (almost) all leading to a single piece of information that is completely useless for me now, but still pretty awesome. I cheated with nearly all of them, but I learned some things about solving subtitution ciphers, about the enigma, about the "skew binary" numbering system and about AES. So I still got a lot of enjoyment from the book.
Which leads me to the questions of the topic: Do you think there is going to be a second one? If so, when? And what do you think/hope will be in it?
I guess that based on time and quantity of comics, the book could come out now - (start of xkcd) -> (book comes out) period is shorter than (book comes out) -> (now) period, and if the book included comics from a selection of 600, we got more than 600 since then. But Randall appearantly doesn't work by a pattern like this.
I might need to read the 601+ comics again to remember which are my favourites from this period. The only ones that I really like and I remember they are from that period are those that probably won't work well on paper - Umwelt, Click and Drag, and of course Time. It would be very Randall-like to publish different versions of the book with different Umwelt comics and ship a different book to each country that orders it, but I think that would be quite expensive. Time would probably need it's own book (I can actually imagine "Time: the graphic novel"... Would buy), and I cannot imagine how could he incorporate Click and Drag. Other than those, what do you think would be included in a second book? What do you hope?
Also, I wonder what would be the extras. Codes again, leading to a meetup? Another obscure numbering system for the pages? Or maybe something completely different? What do you think?

Jplus

Re: xkcd: volume 1?

Postby Jplus » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 am UTC

Wow, I hadn't noticed there was a book yet. Thanks for making me aware of that.

To be honest, I don't think it's very useful to speculate about whether and when there might be a new book. If you really want to know, I think your best bet is to ask Randall at #xkcd.
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:29 pm UTC

sudo make me a username wrote:(I can actually imagine "Time: the graphic novel"... Would buy), and I cannot imagine how could he incorporate Click and Drag.

Click and Drag would be tough.. either the biggest fold-out in the history of man or segmenting it in some way (which really doesn't do it all its beauty but...)

As for a Time novel/flipbook... you really should visit the Time thread in the comic section. They're quite big on a published book, I'd think.

DireKobold

Postby DireKobold » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:52 pm UTC

sudo make me a username wrote:I recently recieved my copy of xkcd: volume 0. Awesome book! Really good selection of comics. And the codes. So many codes, (almost) all leading to a single piece of information that is completely useless for me now, but still pretty awesome. I cheated with nearly all of them, but I learned some things about solving subtitution ciphers, about the enigma, about the "skew binary" numbering system and about AES.

I also just started reading it. And I've noticed the codes, but I haven't had the energy to even think about solving them. As someone who might be interested in cheating. Was there a particular resource you used? A search of the forum didn't turn up anything. Or was it just a bunch of googling?

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:11 am UTC

Jplus: Wow, and I thought I was a slowpoke for only getting it now. Not noticing the book since 2009 is even more slowpokey :D .
Of course speculating about a new book isn't useful, but I wanted to do it for fun. I also wanted to know what are people's favourite post-600 comics. I guess I can ask Randall too.

Djehutynakht: Nice to know they are planning that. I think about visiting that thread from time to time (no pun intended) but its size scares me :shock:

DireKobold: I started by googling. "xkcd book puzzles" and nearly every similar phrase leads to this thread: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=45552
It contains all the solutions, and the path the community took before discovering them.

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

Tried to use the IRC channel and it was fruitless. I never used IRC before - it seems quite outdated for me. The people weren't very welcoming. Trying to ask the same questions from this thread someone said "we don't disscuss xkcd here". Someone else was nice enough to explain that the channel is more like a meetup point for the kind of people that like xkcd to disscuss other things. Which kinda makes sense - communities evolve and all that - but kind of a turn-off for someone who got there from say, the xkcd "about" page that says:
xkcd about wrote:If you have a question or comment about xkcd, you may want to try sharing it on the forums or the IRC channel.

I also tried asking about Randall and got a joke answer that Randall is not a real person or something. I don't think I'll return to that channel soon...

patzer

Postby patzer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:36 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Click and Drag would be tough.. either the biggest fold-out in the history of man...

I would definitely like to see this :D
Djehutynakht wrote:As for a Time novel/flipbook... you really should visit the Time thread in the comic section. They're quite big on a published book, I'd think.

I don't think so...? I can't remember ever seeing a suggestion for a published book in there. Maybe it was suggested at the very beginning. But I agree it is a good idea.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:35 am UTC

sudo make me a username wrote:Tried to use the IRC channel and it was fruitless. I never used IRC before - it seems quite outdated for me. The people weren't very welcoming. Trying to ask the same questions from this thread someone said "we don't disscuss xkcd here". Someone else was nice enough to explain that the channel is more like a meetup point for the kind of people that like xkcd to disscuss other things. Which kinda makes sense - communities evolve and all that - but kind of a turn-off for someone who got there from say, the xkcd "about" page that says:
xkcd about wrote:If you have a question or comment about xkcd, you may want to try sharing it on the forums or the IRC channel.

I also tried asking about Randall and got a joke answer that Randall is not a real person or something. I don't think I'll return to that channel soon...

That is so interesting.
It IS like Religion.

It fractals.
The Christians, sometimes, say the Meanest Things about one another.

I hope you find a Welcoming Community here.
I hope you find an interesting, engaging, educational community here.

It would be bad to find some Nice people;
Then, find them, "Dull".

(ho humm) Solving enigmas, again?
(yawn) Details... Details….(yawn)

Have fun.
Tell the Mods, if you break something.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

My wish had (more or less) come true with the announcement of the new "what-if" book. Woo-hoo!

Return to “General”