Mod Madness 2014 : The Announcement

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: Very Model ah A big man ting General Furious Doodling 20

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:57 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I was just a try to point out dat we be a different community. Just an internet community. Like de rest ah forum dem. Only a different one.

you community spends an awful lot ah time an' energy isolating itself from de rest ah de "at large" community via opaque memes an' ciphers. dis pattern ah behavior has unintended consequences.
I think that trend was started by last year's madness.
But the way I see it is that inventing and using amusing new words and speech mannerisms is just a thing we like to do, and the "isolation" is largely an unintended consequence of that. I don't feel that we go out of our way to isolate ourselves. It just naturally happened since it's the discussion thread for one particular comic, which morphed into discussion about the thread and the participants and their behaviour. Basically, we became self-aware of the tendancy to create jargon, and decided it would be fun to encourage it to a silly extreme. Some people who also enjoy that do join in, and those who don't, don't. Some peeps joined the forum specifically for that thread, and stay in it. Others have drifted out into other places, and others were here for years beforehand, and still participate in other threads (such as myself). So I don't think it's quite as hardcore isolationist as some are making it out to be.

Anywho, lest get back to our irregularly scheduled word filters and other various mod madness on the xkcd forum dem :D.

p.s. crinkways pianofolder wid de hobergiblin mesagleed, ya sodenwap neepnest, go?
[edit] what on earth happened to my last sentence? Well played, mods. My hat is off to you all.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:02 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
yappobiscuits wrote:I was just a try to point out dat we be a different community. Just an internet community. Like de rest ah forum dem. Only a different one.

you community spends an awful lot ah time an' energy isolating itself from de rest ah de "at large" community via opaque memes an' ciphers.
Some of which involve describing the rest of the forum as otherthreads and the rest of the comic as othercomics so as to distinguish them from the One True example of those things.

The presence of people who have literally never posted outside that thread (or who've only done so to talk about it here in this one) also doesn't help with the isolationist impression many outsiders get.

And such isolationism combined with the One True stuff and GLR and a whole (allegedly) fake religion, it's no wonder the whole thing looks and feels rather cultish to a lot of folks.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:03 am UTC

Well said, well said ED. Hear! Hear :D

Eternal Density wrote:p.s. crinkways pianofolder wid de hobergiblin mesagleed, ya sodenwap neepnest, go?
[edit] wa pon earth happened to me last sentence? Well played, Mod dem. me hat be off to you all.

No kidding, what was that? o_O The madness is truly mad!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Re: Very Model Of A big man ting General Furious Doodling 20

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:07 am UTC

That was some gibberesh ED wrote without any modly help of any kind, looks like.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:

you community spends an awful lot ah time an' energy isolating itself from de rest ah de "at large" community via opaque memes an' ciphers.
Some ah which involve describing de rest ah de forum as otherthreads an' de rest ah de comic as othercomics so as to distinguish dem from de One True example ah dem ting dem.

de presence ah people dem who have literally never posted outside dat tread (or who've only done so to talk about it here in dis one) also nuh help wid de isolationist impression many outsiders get.

an' such isolationism combined wid de One True stuff an' GLR an' a whole (allegedly) fake religion, it no wonder de whole ting looks an' feels radder cultish to a lot ah folks.

To 1 and 3, I think Poe's Law applies.
2. happens in many threads. *shrug*
gmalivuk wrote:dat was some gibberesh ED wrote widdout any modly help ah any kind, looks like.
Don't call me Shirley!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:10 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:dat was some gibberesh ED wrote widdout any modly help ah any kind, looks like.

Oh, now that's well played! You got me ED :)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:22 am UTC

Speaks like Deva. Manages to avoid most cheesegraters. Learns a lesson today.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 am UTC

ronaldkr wrote:
de Mighty Thesaurus wrote:You cyat dem started it when you first referred to de 1190 discussion tread as de "One True tread". You started de race for survival, an' now you wan to quit[citation needed] because you be losing? Well I say hard cheese.

Edit: smạll edits foṛ enhanced precision.

4F17
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

ChronosDragon

Postby ChronosDragon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:20 am UTC

As a citizen of Cleve's Land who happened to be absent when The Lockening struck, I'm just going to say that I'm unhappy about the implications of the event, but I can understand where the [MG]ods were coming from. I get that y'alls wanted us to participate in (or perhaps, suffer) the Madness, but locking the thread was probably not the best way to do that. Thing is, while some were flushed out, others were simply left afloat with little connection to anything because they didn't feel comfortable posting elsewhere. Cleveland is more than a thread to us, it's a home - and you don't foreclose someone's home because you want them to come to a party with you. I don't want there to be bad blood between us and the rest of the forums, if at all possible. Sorry if I'm trashing a decaying nag here, but I wanted to put in my two bucks.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 am UTC

I just discovered Spanish is my native language! XD

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 am UTC

Oh, wait, I read "Pelicarian" the first time around. Nevermind!

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 am UTC

Seems to me like poor future planning to not have a backup zone in case things go to shit. Forums go down, server explodes, whatcha gonna do?

Also, goddamn, 4 hours?
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:35 am UTC

A couple redundant discussion areas exist and more are under construction, but we be quite fond o' the original.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 am UTC

[list=][*]Hey, look what you broke![/list]

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:46 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Seems to me like poor future planning to no have a backup zone in case ting dem go to shit. Forums go down, server explodes, whatcha gonna do?

Also, goddamn, 4 hours?
Yousa thinking yousa people gonna die?
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 am UTC

Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:05 am UTC

I like how the wordfilter kicks in any time we use modulo arithmetic. You know, because "mod" as in "there are infinite primes congruent to 3 mod 4" is changed into "Very Model Of A big man ting General".

Sample: The Last Digit thread
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:07 am UTC

He is a mod
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

mpolo

Postby mpolo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:52 am UTC

I want to congratulate the mods for the beauty they made out of my dactylic hexameter over in the Iliad Mafia thread. It's almost sublime to read now. I would complain about scaring away the players, but the effect on the hexameter was so nice that I have to demur.
Image <-- Evil experiment

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:57 am UTC

I do not know if it has been suggested already, but we really need addams to be able to edit the wordfilters. It would be magnificent. :lol:

snowyowl wrote:I like how de wordfilter kicks in any time we use modulo arithmetic. You know, because "Very Model Of A big man ting General" as in "deh be infinite primes congruent to 3 Very Model Of A big man ting General 4" be changed into "Very Model ah A big man ting General".

Sample: de Last Digit tread

I like how the wordfilter improved your link.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 am UTC

Vytron wrote:[kompanni=][*]Hey, look wa you broke![/kompanni]
It also breaks things people actually use, like links to other places on one of the real domains (as opposed to echochamber). Just be glad last year's changes to "time" weren't repeated.
---

(he/him/his)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Also, goddamn, 4 hours?
I know, right? As I said earlier (and perhaps in another topic?), my other most visited forum is probably sguforums.com. One of the reasons I am so unmoved by the 4-hour hiatus the Time thread took is because that forum recently lost a year and a half of its history.

Imagine if the Time thread hadn't been locked for a couple hours but deleted entirely. Along with everything else posted in the past year. Now add another 6 months to that for good measure.
---

(he/him/his)

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Curator of Faces wrote:Also, goddamn, 4 hours?
mi naw, right? As I said earlier (an' perhaps in anudder topic?), me udder most visited forum be probably sguforums.com. One ah de reasons I be so unmoved by de 4-hour hiatus de Time tread took be because dat forum recently lost a year an' a half ah it history.

Imagine if de Time tread no been unleashed for a couple hours but deleted entirely. Along wid everyting else posted in de past year. Now add anudder 6 months to dat for jammin measure.

So it isn't bullying because it only hurt a little?

First, let me say that I think this thread should be completely immune to the filters. It would be nice to be able to have this discussion like actual adults, using actual words.

I don't have enough history to know if this was ever fun for the victims. I have enough experience with bullying to know it isn't fun. The fact that this bullying is perpetrated by the supposed protectors makes it much, much worse. That is not mitigated by it being "just once a year."

What is the procedure for actually having a discussion about eliminating the annual event known as the madness? If, in fact, it is just a game that is fun for everyone, then everyone should be allowed to participate in a discussion about whether it is really fun, and what limits should be on it to keep it fun.

If only one team gets to be involved in the discussion, then you'll have proved my point about what it really is.
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time
NetWeasel wrote:I want to put that in my sig... BUT I CAN'T!!!!

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

[Day 6: Moderators have yet to notice my lack of banana-related title]

Did you mean Day 3?

I was counting starting when peoples' titles started changing. was that only 3 days ago? I thought it was longer than that.
Last edited by eculc on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm UTC

SBN wrote:[this is bullying]
Unlike school, you are not compelled to be here. Nor are the mod team your protectors.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

SBN
Saved
Location: No longer in the home of the raptorcats, now in the home of the raptorcats.

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:02 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
SBN wrote:[dis be bullying]
Unlike school, you be no compelled a be here. Nor be de Very Model Of A big man ting General team you protectors.

So, bullying in a park would be ok in your book? Bullying by the park rangers, even? I know, this is an internet forum, I don't have any actual bruises. But, the pattern of behavior here is classic bullying, and I will not stand by and say nothing. (Note, in person bullying doesn't always cause physical harm either. That sometimes is worse.)
astrotter wrote:It is not particularly clear to me at this time that we are not overanalyzing this...

Randalspeed thunk, iskinner, and other blitzers! Notes from the before-was improve the after-when.
Some Ways to Time

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:06 pm UTC

So, is this word filter trying to emulate Creol or something? Because I read everything on this forum in the voice of Troy Landry.

I must say, I approve.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Curator ah Faces wrote:Also, goddamn, 4 hours?
mi naw, right? As I said earlier (an' perhaps in anudder topic?), me udder most visited forum be probably sguforums.com. One ah de reasons I be so unmoved by de 4-hour hiatus de Time tread took be because dat forum recently lost a year an' a half ah it history.

Imagine if de Time tread no been unleashed for a couple hours but deleted entirely. Along wid everyting else posted in de past year. Now add anudder 6 months to dat for jammin measure.

So it no bullying because it only hurt a little?

First, let me say dat I tink dis tread should be completely immune to de sieve dem. It would be nice a be able a have dis discussion like actual adults, a use actual word dem.

me nuh have enough history a know if dis was ever fun for de victims. I have enough experience wid bullying a know it no fun. de fact dat dis bullying be perpetrated by de supposed protectors makes it much, much worse. dat be no mitigated by it a be "just once a year."

wa be de procedure for actually a have a discussion about eliminating de annual event known as de Furious Doodling? If, in fact, it be just a game dat be fun for everyone, den everyone should be allowed to participate in a discussion about whedder it be really fun, an' wa limits should be pon it to keep it fun.

If only one team gets a be involved in de discussion, den you goin have proved me point about wa it really be.

We are using actual words! Actual adults talk like this (more or less). You wouldn't call Scottish a childish way to speak, would you?

If you actually seriously are emotionally hurt by the madness, think of it as a week-long maintenance. Lots of free web services have server maintenance at least once a year. This is just like that. Nothing is stopping you from going away to enjoy something else for a while. No-one will make your personal emails suddenly sounds like you're from the West Indies, no-one will filter your morning newsfeeds. No-one will come after you. You're free!
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

Kewangji wrote:[
We be a use actual word dem! Actual adults talk like dis (more or fewer). You wouldn't call Scottish a childish way to speak, would you?

If you actually seriously be emotionally hurt by de Furious Doodling, tink ah it as a week-long maintenance. Lots ah free web services have server maintenance at fewerest once a year. dis be just like dat. nuhting be stopping you from a go away to enjoy someting else for a while. No-one goin mek you personal emails suddenly sounds like you be from de West Indies, no-one goin sieve you morning newsfeeds. No-one goin come after you. you be free!

I'd call pretending to speak Scottish childish and racist, much like I'm calling your "Madness." And yes, I understand that I can leave, permanently or temporarily. I also understand that that would be giving the bullies my tacit permission to continue, and perhaps escalate. So, allow me to repeat my question:
What is the channel for holding a discussion about the Madness? One where complaining is not explicitly threatened to result in more bullying?

Some Ways to Time

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 pm UTC

The same place where you'd hold a discussion about whether to remove the Time thread entirely and permanently, I presume.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm UTC

Angua is from St Kitts and Nevis*
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm UTC

We take bullying very seriously on this forum. If you feel you have been personally and/or emotionally bullied, intimidated, tormented, persecuted, threatened, or oppressed by having your favourite thread locked for over four hours, send a PM to one of these guys.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SBN
Saved

Postby SBN » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Lupa be from St Kitts an' Queen ah de Caribbees*

But I'm not, so I would prefer not to be making fun of the dialect in use there. Also, it's generally considered rude to use a use a language in front of others who do not speak it, without providing a translator.

Kewangji wrote:de same place weh you'd hold a discussion about whedder to remove de Time tread entirely an' permanently, I presume.

And again, complaints are met with threats. Pay up, or we'll hurt your family. How is this not bullying?

Let me also make one thing abundantly clear. While I do identify myself as a member of the Time Thread community, I do not speak for the community.

Some Ways to Time

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

SBN wrote:wa be de channel for holding a discussion about de Furious Doodling? One weh complaining be no explicitly threatened to result in more bullying?

Site & Forum Issues
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:56 pm UTC

SBN wrote:
We be a use actual word dem! Actual adults talk like dis (more or fewer). You wouldn't call Scottish a childish way to speak, would you?

If you actually seriously be emotionally hurt by de Furious Doodling, tink ah it as a week-long maintenance. Lots ah free web services have server maintenance at fewerest once a year. dis be just like dat. nuhting be stopping you from a go away to enjoy someting else for a while. No-one goin mek you personal emails suddenly sounds like you be from de West Indies, no-one goin sieve you morning newsfeeds. No-one goin come after you. you be free!

I'd call pretending to speak Scottish childish an' racist, much like Me be a call you "Furious Doodling." an' yes, I zeemi dat I kyan leave, permanently or temporarily. I also zeemi dat dat would be a give de bullies me tacit permission to continue, an' perhaps escalate. So, allow me to repeat me question:
wa be de channel for holding a discussion about de Furious Doodling? One weh complaining be no explicitly threatened to result in more bullying?

Didn't you join the forums around the reckoning last year (yes I know it's furious doodling now)? You knew how this worked right? I kind of like it, it may be annoying if it goes on too long though, but it shaped ting dem dat be pon me side for 600, Alex! rather nicely. Besides, they didn't even filter "Time" this time around yet.

Oh, and if you want your complaining unfiltered, there are several methods: use the IRC channel instead (is the time channel still used?), hope they won't break your image links (unlikely if you complain like that), hope they don't filter full-width roman characters (install a Japanese IME) (someone will probably permanently filter them to normal characters so they are affected by the filters if I keep using them each year, but for now it works fine).

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

Sorry, I did not mean to threaten you. I have no power in these parts! I cannot remove threads or anything, don't worry. I was trying to point out that the Madness is as much part of the forums as the Time thread is. They're not going away, I don't think.

(For the record: I can see your concerns about the Jamaicifying possibly making fun of how people talk. Personally, I trust Lupa to have thought this out, and I don't feel like we're making fun of anyone, but I can see where you're coming from.)

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

If the filter were to, instead, replace English words with French words, would it be considered making fun of the French? Granted, the current filter is replacing English words with phonetic spellings that are intended to mimic a regional dialect which is a mashup of two languages, but I don't see how that translates to "making fun".

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm UTC

SBN wrote:I'd call pretending to speak Scottish childish an' racist, much like Me be a call you "Furious Doodling." an' yes, I zeemi dat I kyan leave, permanently or temporarily. I also zeemi dat dat would be a give de bullies me tacit permission to continue, an' perhaps escalate. So, allow me to repeat me question:
wa be de channel for holding a discussion about de Furious Doodling? One weh complaining be no explicitly threatened to result in more bullying?

The Moderation Staff understands that the implementation of Mod Madness into the Time thread has elicited a much stronger emotional discomfort from some of you than was expected. We regret that. Sometimes jokes fall flat.

The staff has ongoing discussions both during and after the conclusion of Mod Madness each year, and it's clear we have something to discuss. But that discussion will happen among the staff. Much like with your job, school or family, there are some discussions that you do not get to take part in.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

Thinking of it as maintenance is a good analogy, Kewangji. Sure, it's maintenance for our mental and emotional condition rather than the physical condition of the servers.

And yeah, let's have the discussion of whether MM2015 will be part of the forums wherever we discuss the whether the Time thread will remain part of the forums.
---

(he/him/his)

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

SBN wrote:

I'd call pretending to speak Scottish childish an' racist, much like Me be a call you "Furious Doodling." an' yes, I zeemi dat I kyan leave, permanently or temporarily. I also zeemi dat dat would be a give de bullies me tacit permission to continue, an' perhaps escalate. So, allow me to repeat me question:

I may be misinterpreting you on account of the madness and all, but you seriously equate closing a single (albeit popular) thread for a couple of hours to school bullying and speaking in a fake Scottish accent with racism? You are way overreacting here IMO.

Edit:

Also, regarding the accent debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PWc24ALHkCI#t=19

Return to “General”