Burned, Buried or Dumped?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What do you want to happen to your body when you die?

Cremated
46%
Buried
21%
Dumped
12%
I am feeling a bit peckish.
21%

Total votes: 52

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Burned, Buried or Dumped?

Postby Thesh » Sun May 04, 2014 7:06 am UTC

Personally, I want to be buried in a manner to maximize decomposition. I want my rotting corpse to be useful, and that means something's food.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

firesoul31

Re: Burned, Buried or Dumped?

Postby firesoul31 » Sun May 04, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Personally, after organ donation, I don't really care. Whatever is the cheapest.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun May 04, 2014 3:42 pm UTC

"Donated to science"
"Used as prop at medical company convention (frequently the actual result of donating to science)"
"Plasticized and put on display at science fairs"
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Sun May 04, 2014 3:49 pm UTC

firesoul31 wrote:Personally, after organ donation, I don't really care. Whatever is the cheapest.

Just what I was going to say.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Brace

Postby Brace » Sun May 04, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

3rdtry

Postby 3rdtry » Sun May 04, 2014 7:09 pm UTC

poxic wrote:"Used as prop at medical company convention (frequently the actual result of donating to science)"

I heard they basically open you in front of a bunch of medicine students and start poking around.

"OK now, who wants to see how long the intestines are? Just grab one end and pull! Be careful not to get them tangled up, we need to put them back on their place for the next group"

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun May 04, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

Taxidermied.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Sun May 04, 2014 7:41 pm UTC

poxic wrote:"Donated to science"

Donated to philosophy.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm UTC

I don't care, but as they say funerals are performed for the mourners not the departed.

So...
How would you like your dead friend (who said "cheapest") to be buried?

Edit: Despite what that may seem to imply I assure you I am *not* going to kill firesoul31
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

cplns

Postby cplns » Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

Organs donated and then buried. I get a bit squeamish at the idea of cremation.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 05, 2014 2:06 am UTC

What I'd like is to be given to scavengers, insects and whatever else wants it.

What'll happen is cremation.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Mon May 05, 2014 3:55 am UTC

Buried, preferably in an environmentally friendly way. The same as OP in other words. Feed me to the insects and leave some kind of mark at the surface so relatives can visit the site of this great feast.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 05, 2014 2:13 pm UTC

Gutted for every usable organ, discarded in the cheapest legal method.

Anyone who cries at the funeral or makes it mopey gets taken out of the non-existent will. There's gotta be a celebration.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 05, 2014 2:23 pm UTC

Donate my organs, then whatever. I wouldn't mind being used for science. I've told my wife to cremate me and spread my ashes around the lilac bush out back, but she scoffs at that idea.

There was an image/thread/something I saw a few years ago showing two skeletons (you know, the ones they put in science classes) that had been put in a compromising position (doggy style over the lab table). I don't remember if it was a comment/caption in the image itself or a comment in the thread, but someone said that they hoped that someday their bones could be used to make bored med students happy. That has always stuck with me. Why not let people dance on your grave? Why not let them use your bones as a puppet? Why not have your skull be a prop in a MacBeth production?

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 3:18 pm UTC

None of the above. Cryogenically frozen.

In practice, this might end up simply being an elaborate/expensive way of donating my body to science or something. Who knows?

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon May 05, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

Re: Cryogenic Freezing

Is it a given that when you get frozen that a future generation is allowed to un-freeze you when they are able to bring you back to life or do you need to somehow specify that in your will or something? Is there anything that would require them to unfreeze/revive you? Is there anything preventing them from unfreezing you and then making nasty with your corpse? What are the rules?

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm UTC

immediately turned to ash
Ash used to fertilize tree

We'll just skip the decomposition step and go straight to fertilizer.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Re: Cryogenic Freezing

Is it a given that when you get frozen that a future generation is allowed to un-freeze you when they are able to bring you back to life or do you need to somehow specify that in your will or something? Is there anything that would require them to unfreeze/revive you? Is there anything preventing them from unfreezing you and then making nasty with your corpse? What are the rules?

It's pretty much a shot in the dark. Predicting any possible rules for something that might be many generations away is pretty tricky stuff. Hell, maybe we'll all die off before we even get to that level of tech. Maybe we currently aren't freezing people properly, and we'll not be able to be revived. No guarantees at all here.

But shit, considering the alternative is just...nothing, it seems like a fun gamble to take.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Mon May 05, 2014 7:11 pm UTC

As far as being revived in the future goes, I place my trust in humanity eventually developing the ability to time travel, and restarting the human timeline from a utopic state.

I like my friends and family, I wouldn't want to be in the future without them.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:As far as being revived in the future goes, I place my trust in humanity eventually developing the ability to time travel, and restarting the human timeline from a utopic state.

I like my friends and family, I wouldn't want to be in the future without them.

Time travel seems rather more unlikely. The human state being decidedly non-utopic, it appears that nobody has yet done that.

I like plenty of people. I've also moved a lot, and met lots of new people to like. I imagine that if I wake up in the far future, it's highly probable that I'll like some of them. Plus, I imagine there will be all kinds of cool new things to boggle at. Maybe even flying cars*.

*Tyndmyr does not actually expect to ever have flying cars, but will totally ask about it on waking up anyway.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 05, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Taxidermied.

As the exact facial expression in your avatar, mounted on somebody's wall.
philsov wrote:immediately turned to ash
Ash used to fertilize tree

We'll just skip the decomposition step and go straight to fertilizer.

This still has the problems of cremation though, notably being terrible for air quality. I feel like there's a more efficient way to make fertilizer from corpses.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 09, 2014 2:16 am UTC

In the end, it's all up to whoever happens to be left when I'm gone, as I won't be around to care and they will be. I sure hope they don't spend thousands on a shiny padded mahogany box, at least – that thing's just going in the ground; if they want something that looks nice for whatever service they have in mind, they can get some ribbon or veneer or something.

And they'd better make sure I'm properly dead. I'm squeamish about donating my organs, as I've seen just a few too many real-life stories about supposedly dead people waking back up; I don't want anyone reaching for my guts before I'm done with them.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Time travel seems rather more unlikely. The human state being decidedly non-utopic, it appears that nobody has yet done that.

Well yeah, we're in the first portion of the loop, before utopic technology and time travel are developed.

Joking aside, I just don't personally see enough good in life to be attached to it for its own sake. If the world will still be imperfect, and I won't even have my friends and family, then I don't see the point in continuing to live. I mean, as long as I'm forced to be here, I'll do what I can to help those around me, but I doubt that I'll be enough of a boon to humanity to justify the expense of keeping me alive in the future so I can keep working.

Thirty-one

Postby Thirty-one » Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 am UTC

If my wife tires of me, she hopefully just dumps me.

When I die though, I'd like any useable organs donated and then for the ashes to be spread wherever whoever's left wants them (though I specifically wouldn't want any grave or marker).
Annoyed, getting worked up or bored by the post above? Help is here.

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Fri May 09, 2014 10:46 am UTC

Who cares? You're already dead.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 09, 2014 4:03 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:Joking aside, I just don't personally see enough good in life to be attached to it for its own sake. If the world will still be imperfect, and I won't even have my friends and family, then I don't see the point in continuing to live. I mean, as long as I'm forced to be here, I'll do what I can to help those around me, but I doubt that I'll be enough of a boon to humanity to justify the expense of keeping me alive in the future so I can keep working.

I imagine there will be some historical value. Imagine if you could talk to people who actually were in the civil war. For a historian, that'd be awesome. So, that's kind of unique.

And hey, humans don't exist just to work...though I do look forward to seeing what things get made in the future. The world has already changed a great deal since I was a child, and will no doubt do so even more before I die. Afterward, for a goodly time? Why, the future, perfect or not, will likely be very filled with new and different things to explore and learn about.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Fri May 09, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

If I had the money, I'd have my casket buried in Greece, spring-loaded and full of confetti so if someone (preferably an archeologist) digs up my body, they'll have a nice surprise! :D

In reality, though, I just want to have my organs donated to science and then the leftovers cremated.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri May 09, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

Is it too late to change mine?

I want to be mummified and buried in a massive temple covered with strange writings and pictures detailing my achievements as the last living demigod. I want those achievements to coincide with actual events that have left just enough archaeological evidence behind that the truth is in doubt..
Last edited by Whizbang on Fri May 09, 2014 5:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri May 09, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:And hey, humans don't exist just to work...

Buy "work" I was referring back to trying to help those around me. Sorry I wasn't clear. As far as that goes, it would probably be more helpful to use whatever budget spent maintaining my corpse to help the people themselves.

Why, the future, perfect or not, will likely be very filled with new and different things to explore and learn about.

Sure, I just don't see why it has to be me specifically who learns about them, rather than allowing someone else to. As long is learning is still going on, I'm satisfied.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri May 09, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

KrytenKoro wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:And hey, humans don't exist just to work...

Buy "work" I was referring back to trying to help those around me. Sorry I wasn't clear. As far as that goes, it would probably be more helpful to use whatever budget spent maintaining my corpse to help the people themselves.

Why, the future, perfect or not, will likely be very filled with new and different things to explore and learn about.

Sure, I just don't see why it has to be me specifically who learns about them, rather than allowing someone else to. As long is learning is still going on, I'm satisfied.

Ah. I enjoy learning and exploring, so...why not? And it's not as if all that many people opt for cryopreservation...and who knows if all of them can be brought back? It may be something with a high failure rate.

Way I see it, I enjoy living now, and doing stuff. I don't seek death. I'll seek medical care to avoid it, in fact. This really is just the same principle.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Re: Cryogenic Freezing

I'd have to assume so. Resuscitation seems inherent to the practice. It seems that the purpose of cryogenic freezing is "okay, I can't live anymore, so I'm going to preserve myself, and when you can make me live again, please do so".

KrytenKoro wrote:I like my friends and family, I wouldn't want to be in the future without them.

Yeah, but then you can see family that you'd never otherwise get to see. Like great-great-great-great grandchildren.

Anyways, I'm going off of Whizbang's second answer. I don't find the body's disposal itself interesting, but rather its surroundings.

Although, of course, surroundings cost money.

How much would it take to build a pyramid today? We have cranes.

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Fri May 09, 2014 8:26 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Donate my organs, then whatever. I wouldn't mind being used for science. I've told my wife to cremate me and spread my ashes around the lilac bush out back, but she scoffs at that idea.

There was an image/thread/something I saw a few years ago showing two skeletons (you know, the ones they put in science classes) that had been put in a compromising position (doggy style over the lab table). I don't remember if it was a comment/caption in the image itself or a comment in the thread, but someone said that they hoped that someday their bones could be used to make bored med students happy. That has always stuck with me. Why not let people dance on your grave? Why not let them use your bones as a puppet? Why not have your skull be a prop in a MacBeth production?

Nice story. I've poked around at disembodied organs and I like the idea of returning the favour to future students. Of course, if any of them can be transplanted to patients in need that's my priority.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Ah. I enjoy learning and exploring, so...why not? And it's not as if all that many people opt for cryopreservation...and who knows if all of them can be brought back? It may be something with a high failure rate.

Way I see it, I enjoy living now, and doing stuff. I don't seek death. I'll seek medical care to avoid it, in fact. This really is just the same principle.

Well yeah, it would probably work for you. Didn't mean to sound like I was poopooing cryogenic freezing, I just don't personally have enough attachment to my life to have interest in it.

Choboman

Postby Choboman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

When I originally had this conversation with wife I told her I wanted to be eaten by lions. Since that would be expensive, hard to arrange/enforce, and bad for the animals, I'll probably just go with organ donation and cremation. I was going to go the 'donate to science' route, but the wife wants a place to visit the remains.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

Buried with one of those urban-legend-type bells on a string. Although in this day and age, that should probably be updated... so, buried with a prepaid cellphone that has a battery that lasts for a week. And some bottles of water. And maybe a box of Twinkies.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:Buried with one of those urban-legend-type bells on a string. Although in this day and age, that should probably be updated... so, buried with a prepaid cellphone that has a battery that lasts for a week. And some bottles of water. And maybe a box of Twinkies.

With a solar panel to charge a battery that powers the motor that rings the bell/phone on occasion. Maybe a motion sensor to only ring when people are about.

Also, a wifi web cam + light so people can see me inside.

Brace

Postby Brace » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by Brace on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:47 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"The future is the only kind of property that the masters willingly concede to the slaves" - Albert Camus

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

Details, details. Wired would work as well. 'Sides, if I am going through all this trouble, I may just have to build myself a mausoleum. And maybe a plexiglass case.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:09 pm UTC

I put cremated but I also really I like the idea of a sky burial.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:32 pm UTC

Sungura wrote:I put cremated but I also really I like the idea of a sky burial.

At first I assumed sky burial meant that your ashes would be scattered from a plane. This is pretty cool too though.

Return to “General”