Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kachi
Publicly Posts Private Messages

Re: Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Postby Kachi » Tue May 06, 2008 8:43 am UTC

I haven't read through this entire thread, so if anyone has, let me know if someone else has a similar phenomenon going on.

I'll try to explain this the best I can. This is something that started more than ten years ago.

In short, it's like electricity moving through my body. Most often it comes from the right side of my brain, but sometimes from the left or around the bottom of the spine. I have gotten fairly good at controlling where it "goes." Up, down, both, arms, even back and forth or keeping it mostly in one place. I've been electrocuted before, and this has a similar, less intense sensation, and obviously the direction of the "current" is different.

I imagine it's some kind of neurological issue-- probably some chemical is released that sends a signal through my nervous system. Frequently it causes goosebumps over the affected areas, though often it doesn't. The more powerful the sensation, the more likely it will. I have heard that some people can "give themselves goosebumps" which I imagine is the same thing or similar, but I've never had the chance to talk to them. I have had goosebumps without the same kind of sensation though, leading me to believe that they're not entirely equivalent.

As for the cause, I don't know what the specific biological cause is. I can't explain how I trigger it anymore than I could explain how I think about something. I just go to a certain place in my mind and "push," and it releases. The harder the push, the stronger the release. Certain conditions make it harder to do though-- the harder it is to breathe, or the more I'm trying to do mentally or physically at the time, the harder I have to push to get a response. I'm also admittedly a little gun shy about it.

Sometimes when I hear or think of something brilliant or inspired, it will go off on its own. From what I hear that's fairly common for goosebumps. That was more often the case when it first started to happen until I began to be able to control it. On a few rare instances, it has simply gone off with no apparent provocation at all. Just walking around and there it is. It's not all that different from having a brain penis I guess.

Well, it's a very euphoric feeling. Warm and tingly. For the most part it's even better than an orgasm (depends on how horny I am I guess).

Wanderingcowboy

Postby Wanderingcowboy » Fri May 09, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

I can play the William Tell Overture (or any other song I know) by slapping my face. Kinda like D-Day from Animal House, although instead of flicking my throat, I slap my cheeks.
Randall on a skateboard!?
:mrgreen: <= This is my smiley. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My smiley is my best friend. It is my life. Without me, my smiley is useless. Without my smiley I am useless.

Ninjew

Postby Ninjew » Sun May 11, 2008 9:24 pm UTC

I've got that same thing too. Also, I'm trying to develop the whole "whistle and hum" thing. It's coming along nicely.

I have this weird indentation on the upper part of the back of my head. Don't know why, but it's there, and has been there for quite a while.

I also can barely see out of my right eye. An example is that when at my desk, I cannot read a thing from these forums apart from the large icon in the top left corner, and even then, I can barely make it out. My left eye, however, is just fine.

stigmatizethis

Postby stigmatizethis » Tue May 13, 2008 2:50 am UTC

Kachi wrote:I haven't read through this entire thread, so if anyone has, let me know if someone else has a similar phenomenon going on.

I'll try to explain this the best I can. This is something that started more than ten years ago.

In short, it's like electricity moving through my body. Most often it comes from the right side of my brain, but sometimes from the left or around the bottom of the spine. I have gotten fairly good at controlling where it "goes." Up, down, both, arms, even back and forth or keeping it mostly in one place. I've been electrocuted before, and this has a similar, less intense sensation, and obviously the direction of the "current" is different.

I imagine it's some kind of neurological issue-- probably some chemical is released that sends a signal through my nervous system. Frequently it causes goosebumps over the affected areas, though often it doesn't. The more powerful the sensation, the more likely it will. I have heard that some people can "give themselves goosebumps" which I imagine is the same thing or similar, but I've never had the chance to talk to them. I have had goosebumps without the same kind of sensation though, leading me to believe that they're not entirely equivalent.

As for the cause, I don't know what the specific biological cause is. I can't explain how I trigger it anymore than I could explain how I think about something. I just go to a certain place in my mind and "push," and it releases. The harder the push, the stronger the release. Certain conditions make it harder to do though-- the harder it is to breathe, or the more I'm trying to do mentally or physically at the time, the harder I have to push to get a response. I'm also admittedly a little gun shy about it.

Sometimes when I hear or think of something brilliant or inspired, it will go off on its own. From what I hear that's fairly common for goosebumps. That was more often the case when it first started to happen until I began to be able to control it. On a few rare instances, it has simply gone off with no apparent provocation at all. Just walking around and there it is. It's not all that different from having a brain penis I guess.

Well, it's a very euphoric feeling. Warm and tingly. For the most part it's even better than an orgasm (depends on how horny I am I guess).

That sounds very familiar to a feeling I get. It seems to happen mostly when I hear something really moving (music, quote etc) and sometimes it happens when I recognize something that I totally wasn't expecting to recognize. Sometimes its also random, but not often.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

GCM

Postby GCM » Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Need to add. I once had this very long hair. Like, two or three times longer than any of my other hairs. And I just noticed it all of a sudden; it didn't take time to grow at all. Either that, or I didn't notice it until it was like that. And I was all "wtf man.", and I cut it off with a nailclipper because I was scared it might get caught on something. It never came back.

Also, I just got a few hairs on my chin. Neat, although that doesn't fit in here.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Less Than Three

Postby Less Than Three » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:32 am UTC

I really wish I had some super weird, but sadly I'm pretty normal.

I'm double jointed though.
I can bend all my limbs backwards to some degree.
And my arms pop out of joint when I get stressed.

Those are fairly common though.

Wait!
I just remembered.
I can suction things with my tongue!
Like I can pick up stuff off of flat surfaces or carry things using my tongue's suction.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am UTC

-I have very dextrous toes, it freaks people out.
-I have a mole on my left shoulder that kinda looks like a heart.
-One of my shoulder blades sticks out more then the other due to my wearing a heavy messenger type bag when I was younger.

So nothing interesting.
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Lutetium wrote:-I have a mole on my left shoulder that kinda looks like a heart.

I have a mole like that on my left arm. *cue "undiscovered twin" comment*

I can't touch my shoulders with the corresponding arms (right arm to right shoulder, etc). Well, I can now barely do it with my right arm, with practice, but I still can't come close with my left.

I have lots of slightly alarming bumps on the underside of both my upper arms. :|
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

Tag for later reading...from p. 9

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

-I can make my eyes twitch like crazy. I used to have a lot of fun doing that while rolling my eyes up into my head to freak people out.
-Another member of the "Freakishly flexible hands" club here. I used to be able to bend my fingers back to touch my wrist, and though I can't do that anymore I can bend my thumb forward to touch the inside of my wrist, if that makes sense.
-I am also a master of fine motor skills; In high school I was famous for making tiny paper cranes (They could usually fit on a dime with room left over) and leaving them on desks for everyone to enjoy.
-While not freakishly flexible, I can do some things with my body that weird people out, like putting my feet to the side of my head (Can't get 'em behind the head anymore, sadly), stretching my arms like mad around my back, etc.
-I'm also very fond of using my feet in lieu of hands, and have rather dexterous feet.
-I can make a train whistle sound with my hands, and an assortment of other fun whistling stuff and...yea, I'm pretty boring.

Kachi wrote:I haven't read through this entire thread, so if anyone has, let me know if someone else has a similar phenomenon going on.

I think I know what you mean. I occasionally get a shiver that goes up from the base of my spine and makes my shoulders jump around for a second. While it's a pleasant feeling, it's definitely not orgasmic for me =P
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

One of my thumbs can't bend backwards, and some of my ribs stick out too far, giving me a remarkably unnattractive body.

Oh, and i can move my eyebrows individually like Jim Carrey.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:20 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:One of my thumbs can't bend backwards, and some of my ribs stick out too far, giving me a remarkably unnattractive body.

Oh, and i can move my eyebrows individually like Jim Carrey.

I know some people that would kill for that lavish skill.

(Discworld reference, ignore (I couldn't resist))
Spoiler:

Aceo

Postby Aceo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:45 pm UTC

Wierd quirks with my body...hmmm:
Wierd bone behind left ear which i can move, chipped it off about 6-7years ago.
I can twitch my nose, think of a rabbit.
I can twist my tongue so the bottom is facing upwards.
When I first wake up in morning, whole lower half body clicks like something falling down stairs...
By clenching my fists the knuckles click, can do this on command for about 10times before it starts feeling funny.
Hitchhikers thumb to same degree as a pic a page or 2 ago.
I can hear that sound of a TV or monitor thats been left on...very very annoying.

This is what I think is the wierdest thing about my body, I don't hear silence, ever. There is always this constant ringing, i'm sure that there's a name for this but I can't remember the name.
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:53 pm UTC

Aceo wrote:I can hear that sound of a TV or monitor that's been left on...very very annoying.

Me too, but I love when that happens. It's relaxing.
Spoiler:

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Things that are weird, that I'm really insecure about:

My right eye is slightly higher than my left. Or maybe the other way around.
I have a small bald patch on the left side of my head, that I've had for as long as I can remember. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be growing. :?

Things that are weird but I like or feel neutral about:

I have lots of moles. The big or otherwise noticeable ones are near my collarbone on my right hand side, near my mouth on my left hand side, and on my jawline on my left hand side.
The inside of my mouth is scarred from chewing at the inside of my cheeks for years.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

Bisyss

Postby Bisyss » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:
Aceo wrote:I can hear that sound of a TV or monitor that's been left on...very very annoying.

Me too, but I love when that happens. It's relaxing.
One more for the list. While I was younger, I managed to convince myself I was the only person who could do this and I had a superpower. A crap superpower, admittedly, but a superpower all the same.
As for other stuff:
  • I keep finding I have white hairs. To put this into context, I'm 19.
  • I'd call myself ticklish, but that'd be like calling fire "hot". If I'm tickled for long enough, you don't even need to touch me.
  • I used to be able to put my legs behind my head, but it seems I can't do it much any more. I'm still comparatively bendy. A case in point - In school, my class was asked to look at the soles of their feet (it was something to do with how different genders do it, IIRC). So we stand up, and someone points me out. I look around and while everyone had lifted their feet up to around their thighs, I was able to kick myself in the nipples.
  • I'm shite at growing a beard. While my right hand side is fine, my left seem to be completely apathetic. Still, I attempt to make up for it with sideburns.
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:02 pm UTC

Bisyss wrote:[
  • I keep finding I have white hairs. To put this into context, I'm 19.
  • I'd call myself ticklish, but that'd be like calling fire "hot". If I'm tickled for long enough, you don't even need to touch me.

I found my first grey hair at 14, and I've found two or three more since then. So you're not as much of a freak as you think :) My mum got her first grey hair at NINE.
I'm also insanely ticklish. So much so that I will be INCREDIBLY angry at people who tickle me and have nearly lost friends and a boyfriend over it. And then I feel petty.
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
ZLVT wrote:
mrbaggins wrote:My eyes change colour based on the weather.

If it's going to be (A freaking awesome) thunderstorm in 12-24 hours, my eyes are this really vibrant electric blue. The combination of knowing there's a thunderstorm and 'Eyes I could get lost in' tend to make girls VERY flirty with me.

That is the single coolest thing ever...can I get a copy of your genes?

You realize, of course, that no one's eyes actually change color and that it's all due to the lighting conditions and nearby colors, right?

Established by research?

[CITATION NEEDED]

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:56 am UTC

I can touch the tip of my nose with my tongue. Gene Simmons style.
I can bend all my fingers at the first joint only, leaving 2 parts which have a rubbrey bounce back.
I can bend all my fingers back to a 90 degree angle.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

gibberishtwist

Postby gibberishtwist » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:51 am UTC

Aceo wrote:I can hear that sound of a TV or monitor thats been left on...very very annoying.

I hate that. I've been hearing it for whole life now, my ears are sensitive enough to it that I can walk into a house and instantly know how many TVs are on. Oddly enough, my hearing is normally at the bad end of average. I don't remember where I heard/saw this, but apparently the noise is actually the radiation from the tube interacting with your inner ear.
"We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us."Image

SteveM17

Postby SteveM17 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

I can move the little toe on my right foot without moving any of the others.
[url]http://moody-by-name.blogspot.com/[/url]

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Aceo wrote:This is what I think is the wierdest thing about my body, I don't hear silence, ever. There is always this constant ringing, i'm sure that there's a name for this but I can't remember the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
It's called tinnitus.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Aceo

Postby Aceo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Wombat wrote:
Aceo wrote:This is what I think is the wierdest thing about my body, I don't hear silence, ever. There is always this constant ringing, i'm sure that there's a name for this but I can't remember the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
It's called tinnitus.

Thank youuu, been trying to find out what it's been called for quite a long time.
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

ndansmith

Postby ndansmith » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:52 pm UTC

This is not my body, but my family, wherein we have a fun birth defect:

Mother: 11 toes
Sister: 12 toes
Niece: 12 toes, 11 fingers (the finger fell off after being clamped not long after birth)

Seremite

Postby Seremite » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:21 am UTC

I just spent well over an hour reading these...

So, aside from having no life:
I'm half blind in my right eye due to macular degeneration at 15 years old (it's usually an old person's disease, my eye doctors was very surprised). I have really bad eyes anyway, my glasses were -10 in each eye by the time I was eight years old.

I'm deaf in my right ear due to Waardenburg syndrome, just a random genetic thing. It's also given me a big brown spot on my right eye, which is otherwise blue, which looks awesome. People always feel the need to comment on it.

I have no wisdom teeth. I didn't get any pulled, I just never had them.

I have a long gash in my tongue from braces.

When I get stressed (like physically, like staying awake for a week or not eating... which happens often) I get hundreds of warts. But not the big ugly ones (and not the std), just tiny little bumps all over my hands and elbows... That's probably the weirdest and the grossest.

... and I can vibrate my eyes. At least, that's what I call it. People think I'm having a seizure sometimes. And it looks really cool when it's all dark but for a little light.

Furkins

Postby Furkins » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:52 am UTC

Let's see...

I have three nipples
I have a mole as big as my palm on my knee
I can crack my neck by tilting my head to the side (it freakes people out because it sounds as if I would break my neck)
It gets really painfull for me if I have to sit up straight for a long time because the bone in my butt is weird and squeezes off my buttmuscle (I don't know if this is understandable and if I'm the only person with this problem but it can be quite a problem because I have to sit quite a lot)

3fj

Postby 3fj » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

My middle knuckles are much larger than the rest of them.
I have a freckle on my special place. I have only had to "keep an eye on it" once :P
My tounge doesn't return to normal when rolled up immediately, due to an ill-advised tounge piercing i got a while ago.
I have terrible hearing and a loud voice. I think the two might be interlinked.

@Tinnitus: I used to work as a paint ball marshal/marker fixer etc. A paint grenade exploded next to my ear and gave me it for 3 weeks. It drove me crazy. You sir, win an internet for tenacity.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

mobikwa

Postby mobikwa » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

Bisyss wrote:[*]I keep finding I have white hairs. To put this into context, I'm 19.

I found my first gray pube the other day... it was in my Big Mac.

But seriously, I can make the tendons in my neck bulge but only on my right side, I cant do it at all on my left side.
I can make my eyes go into what I think it R.E.M. mode, they will start shaking randomly and then my ears will start twitching and afterwards I will feel slightly less tired.
My knees constantly crack, especially when I'm turning around.
I can hear when crt tvs are on like others have said.
I have more hair on my body than any man should but I can't grow facial hair to save my life.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:43 pm UTC

Here's something a little odd...

If I listen to a low quality mp3 or something, I can constantly hear a sort of digital fuzz. Nothing like you'd think. But I can hear a rapidly changing pitch behind the music. I used to hear this on CDs as a child, but that's since gone away.

For this very reason, I dislike mp3s that have been poorly compressed. I prefer .flac, to be honest, and .wav is acceptable. But if I have to deal with mp3s, it has to be about 256kb/s... otherwise the fucking digital fuzz drives me mad. Maaaaaaad.

vqcg wrote:The inside of my mouth is scarred from chewing at the inside of my cheeks for years.

Me too. :D
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:09 am UTC

sleepygamer wrote:
vqcg wrote:The inside of my mouth is scarred from chewing at the inside of my cheeks for years.

Me too. :D

Me three, but because of my goddamn braces :evil: (that I don't have any more, thank goodness. Now I have a slightly less annoying retainer).
Spoiler:

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:42 am UTC

On a more positive note about mouths, I have never told this thread I can do the cherry-stalk thing, despite finding that I am capable ages ago. Longer stalks are easier, but only up to a point.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Lutetium

Postby Lutetium » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:45 am UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:On a more positive note about mouths, I have never told this thread I can do the cherry-stalk thing, despite finding that I am capable ages ago. Longer stalks are easier, but only up to a point.

Have you tried that with jelly snakes? I can only do that on the softer blackcurrent ones. :D Not sure about the cherry stalks, will have to give that a go next time.
I haz awesome procrastination skills, let me show you them .... laterz.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:08 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Here's something a little odd...

If I listen to a low quality mp3 or something, I can constantly hear a sort of digital fuzz. Nothing like you'd think. But I can hear a rapidly changing pitch behind the music. I used to hear this on CDs as a child, but that's since gone away.

For this very reason, I dislike mp3s that have been poorly compressed. I prefer .flac, to be honest, and .wav is acceptable. But if I have to deal with mp3s, it has to be about 256kb/s... otherwise the fucking digital fuzz drives me mad. Maaaaaaad.

And I thought I was alone...
Ptolom wrote:penis

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:On a more positive note about mouths, I have never told this thread I can do the cherry-stalk thing, despite finding that I am capable ages ago. Longer stalks are easier, but only up to a point.

You can tie a cherry stalk?

:shock:

I need to find a (RL) woman who can do this. For...uh...comparison.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:29 pm UTC

Both my elbows seem slightly double jointed. That is, with pressure I can move them the opposite way a little bit without hurting myself. I like to freak out people this way sometimes.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

mochafairy

Postby mochafairy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:38 pm UTC

My hands are warmer than the rest of my body, and my feet are always cold.(boyfriend with warm feet for the win!)
My elbows are too slightly double jointed. (although now i feel less unique)
I have latent hyperopia, that is, I will appear to have perfect vision or to be near sighted until they dialate my eyes, and then i'll be farsighted. They had to shine that stupid light in my eyes and figure out my persciption that way rather than the traditional method.
If I hold my hands with my pinkies together, there's a 'v' at the top (my pinkies aren't straight!)

That's all I can think of right now...
"YES. DO IT WITH CONFIDENCE" ~fortune cookie

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Well, I have two kneecaps in my left knee, and it hurts like hell...
And my right knee has one kneecap, but it's too small...

I can make my toungue do the worm.

And I can wiggle my ears!

Hungry_Myst

Postby Hungry_Myst » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

This is far delayed response. But, it's only been a page since I posted so I'll reply anyway.

ZLVT wrote:
Hungry_Myst wrote: In grade 7 (and a good portion of gr. 8 ) I weighed 60 lbs.

Have the Americans held a meeting and changed the Imperial system yet again, or do you mean so say that you weighed 60 Avoirdupois pounds, i.e. 27.3Kg (approximately 7-8 gallons of water) at the age of 13?

I meant that in grade 7 I weighed 27 kg, right now I'm 19, 5'7” and weigh 48 kg. I probably should have used kg from the start, considering I'm Canadian and all.

dasknocker

Postby dasknocker » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Wow, we're some awesomely messed-up dudes and dudettes.

Contribution to oddities:
Double-jointed shoulders. It runs along my father's side, all my uncles and a few cousins have it. So, every family reunion, we have reverse-push-up contests and poltergeist-like crawling competitions. As a result, I can lick both my elbows at once.

I use to make a killing in free milks when I was in elementary school.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

TheMagicalTurtle wrote:I want a President with the courage to stand up to babies and punch them when they need to be punched.

Two9A

Postby Two9A » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

Someone a few pages back mentioned that they can bend their fingers at the first knuckle while keeping them straight at the second. I can do the same, but only on the middle and ring fingers of the left hand. It does look disturbing, I've had people tell me. I've never tried balancing a pen on the second knuckle and watching it fly a foot into the air, but I'm just gonna have to now, aren't I?

Other things: Hairy back (very hairy back), and a left ankle that's slightly bigger than the right (fell down a flight of stairs many years ago, sprained it).

Return to “General”