Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pkuky

Re: Strange or even mildly amusing things about your body

Postby pkuky » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

I'm right handed and left footed. I can also turn into a raptor.
It rains on the enemy too!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

A new one: The skin on my hands has my dermatologist baffled.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Everything on the right side of my body is bigger than on the left.
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Oooh ooh I got one!
You know when you place your hand on the table, you can make your elbow twist back and forth without your hand/shoulder moving (you do now)? I can now do that without putting my hand on the table. It's kind of hard to coordinate turning your lower arm clockwise while you turn your shoulder joint counterclockwise at first, but a minute of practice goes a long way :P

I like being able to do random things with my body. The more common ones are wiggling my ears, lifting either eyebrow separately, consciously changing the focus of my lens without moving my eyes closer together/apart, and probably more which I've forgotten. I still have wiggling my toes individually on my list of things to learn.

The Haidinger's brush thing sounds interesting as well... I'm going to have to get a polarization filter somewhere... Too bad I don't have an alarm clock with one nearby... Hmm maybe I have a spare calculator.

kanavazk

Postby kanavazk » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:17 am UTC

In addition to my previous post, I am also left handed. This means that I suck at writing.
THIS IS FROM THE INTERENT!

Enigma90825

Postby Enigma90825 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:36 am UTC

Wohoo...
I'm naturally very hyperflexible... I have about -13 degree rotation on my knees. My elbows are hyper extended too and go the wrong way a bit... I am also double jointed pretty much everywhere. I can dislocate my shoulder, fingers, hips, and wrists without hurting myself at all. Oh, and I can wiggle my ears. Yay for strangeness.
When I showed the dislocating things to a doctor, he was just like "wtf." It was fun :lol:
I am not here... isn't "here" just "there" without the T?

dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby dragon » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

I have never broken a bone or had stitches, and I have no fillings despite my sub-par dental care routine.

I have a largish, flat freckle on the very tip of my nose. It's been 'removed' and the wound cauterised twice now, but stubbornly returns to its original size.

Is there any truth to people saying that reading in low light will make you need glasses? I used to do that (and get told off for it) a lot, but my vision is still perfectly fine.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

stigmatizethis wrote:That sounds very familiar to a feeling I get. It seems to happen mostly when I hear something really moving (music, quote etc) and sometimes it happens when I recognize something that I totally wasn't expecting to recognize. Sometimes its also random, but not often.

I get that when I start subconsciously singing along to a song that I haven't heard in years, and yet still know every word to. As soon as I realise the strange feeling is being evoked, it fades, so I have to kinda will myself not to focus on it. Which doesn't make any sense..
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

i can stretch my index and middle fingers freakishly far apart so much that it has weirded some people out. I have ridges up and down my for arms and legs from blocking in thai boxing i have a concave dent in my rib cage and the last thing is not suitable for these boards :P though i reckon it's freaking awesome :D.
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

Baza210

Postby Baza210 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

Grooving Tony wrote:i can stretch my index and middle fingers freakishly far apart so much that it has weirded some people out. I have ridges up and down my for arms and legs from blocking in thai boxing i have a concave dent in my rib cage and the last thing is not suitable for these boards :P though i reckon it's freaking awesome :D.

Are you the rabbit born with 3 knobs that Karl, KP, The K Man, Mr. K Dilkington told us about?
Here I'm allowed everything all of the time

Grooving Tony

Postby Grooving Tony » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Close but not quite ;P
It's turtles all the way down
Panda
BHCM
protect the flag
snuggles
Jahoclave wrote:Tip: Shotgun, they could be a zombie. Remember, you're the first step in preventing the zombie apocalypse.

vqcg

Postby vqcg » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

mat-tina wrote:Everything on the right side of my body is bigger than on the left.

ditto! :D
vqcg :: 19/female/bisexual/British

guyy

Postby guyy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

I'm ridiculously hypersensitive to faint little noises, tiny blinking lights, trace odors, and all forms of touch and pain. But I barely notice temperature variations.

I'm usually tired and distractable for about 10 hours after waking up, but sometimes after about this amount of time I suddenly have boundless energy for a few hours and even think better. (This happened last night, and in about 15 minutes I fixed several bugs in a program that had baffled me for days.)

I've memorized hundreds of songs well enough to play them back in my head, but I usually forget someone's name 5 seconds after hearing it.

My hearing is basically perfect, but my ears ring constantly; 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's less annoying than you'd think.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:22 am UTC

My feet (and from my knees down really) dont feel cold. Ever. I can walk through snow. I can feel that it IS cold, but it's not a bad thing to me. It's winter here, -3 to +10ºC at the moment, and I could comfortably wear thongs and shorts, as long as I have a jacket.

Mind you, hot water (Even warm water) feels insanely hot then on my legs/feet, and significant others don't like it.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Ptolom

Re:

Postby Ptolom » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:I am a clarinettist (though I haven't played in a while) with double-jointed thumbs; I still have callouses on my right thumb. And they're still in locations based on when I had really bad finger position because I was bending my thumb backwards to play.

I do exactly the same I have a really peely calous on my knuckle and another on the pad of my thumb from playing the guitar

micco

Postby micco » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:10 pm UTC

I have someting that look like cuts in my tongue. I have no idea why.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Hyperfried

Postby Hyperfried » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:16 pm UTC

My immune system's hobbies include attacking my own kidneys and attacking my own kidneys.

Also I am quite freckly on the face and forearms, but nowhere else.
In the end, physics always has the last laugh.

Defenestrate! ~ A blog of epic proportions.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

Hitchhiker's thumb, which is the name for having an (-shaped thumb that can bend backwards into an almost-L shape. I have a tendancy to idly bend them from one perpendicular position to another, which is hell on my tendons.

Also, I have huge feet. If they get any bigger I'll have to buy my shoes at a special store.

Raiku

Postby Raiku » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:Also, I have huge feet. If they get any bigger I'll have to buy my shoes at a special store.

Almost for me-I mean, I'm 14 and I have size UK 14 feet!

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 am UTC

I can pop almost every joint in my body.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:42 am UTC

Something I found out today:
When I get cold, my extremities turn yellow. Like....
Spoiler:
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

Spudgun

Postby Spudgun » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

pkuky wrote:I'm right handed and left footed.

Me too!

Fossa

Postby Fossa » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Isn't it common to have your dominant hand and foot be opposite? Thats the case for me (RH/LF) and I've heard it from a few different sources (with explanations ranging from psychological to physiological) that the brain is best at using the right hand in tandem with the left foot (and vice versa) and that dominance will ordinarily follow suit.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

No, it's not particularly common. The ratio of right- to left-footers is the same as right- to left-handers. Witness the dearth of left-footers in football teams.

(By football I mean that sport where you kick the ball with your foot)
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 pm UTC

Fossa wrote:Isn't it common to have your dominant hand and foot be opposite? Thats the case for me (RH/LF) and I've heard it from a few different sources (with explanations ranging from psychological to physiological) that the brain is best at using the right hand in tandem with the left foot (and vice versa) and that dominance will ordinarily follow suit.
I'm a regular snowboarder (left-foot forward), and I'm right-handed. And if you watch a horse trot, the diagonally opposite legs move roughly in unison - I have no idea if this is supporting evidence or not, but I'm satisfied with myself for making the connection.
Wombat wrote:Something I found out today:
When I get cold, my extremities turn yellow. Like....
Spoiler:
I'm not quite that yellow, but I have noticed that my skin pales to yellow when I'm in the cold for a while.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

right hand/left foot isn't uncommon in martial arts. The prevailing theory being that in a right-dominant person the balance on the right foot is better, so it's better to keep that on the floor whilst flailing kicking with the left.

My kidneys are unusually high in my body, like, the radiographer couldn't find them to start off with..... :|

Awesometastic

Postby Awesometastic » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:02 am UTC

My tongue is long enough that I can touch the skin beneath my jaw, and get halfway to my eye.
I have abnormally bad farsighted vision, and yet can read easily any text from a millimeter to a couple inches from my face, without the contacts in.
I can raise the end of my left eyebrow, but not my right.
I chew with the left side of my teeth, wink with my left eye, brush my teeth and eat with my left hand, yet I write with my right.
I have a freakin' HUGE Adam's Apple.
I can bend my knees backwards up to 6 inches.
I can pop EVERY joint in my body. EVERY one. Even the ones that aren't joints.
My right big toe pops every time I take a step.
My ankles are quadruple-jointed. Yeah, that's some crazy sh**.
I can twist both my arms and legs around eachother 5 times.
And finally: I CAN lick my elbow. Hellz yeah.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:10 am UTC

Awesometastic wrote:My tongue is long enough that I can touch the skin beneath my jaw, and get halfway to my eye.
I can twist both my arms and legs around eachother 5 times.
And finally: I CAN lick my elbow. Hellz yeah.

Fucking hell. I've never wanted to say 'pictures or it didn't happen' more in my life.

Except for that time I received the text message: yoghurt lesbian banana pillow-fight underwear whipped cream party at mine.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

mrbaggins

Postby mrbaggins » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Fucking hell. I've never wanted to say 'pictures or it didn't happen' more in my life.

I was in high school, and I said "Did you know that no-one can lick their elbow?"

My mate goes "Really?" And proceeds to try.

And as I'm about to follow with "And almost everyone who hears that attempts to," he goes and molests the crap out of his elbow with his tongue. Kinda backfired a little there....
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

Guy_At_A_Keyboard
Location: The Herakleon Museum, if my avatar is to be believed

Postby Guy_At_A_Keyboard » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

My left armpit has just now started to grow hair. My right has been hairy since I was 14. I don't really know why.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Awesometastic wrote:My tongue is long enough that I can touch the skin beneath my jaw, and get halfway to my eye.

...And it fits in your mouth?!

Awesometastic wrote:I have abnormally bad farsighted vision, and yet can read easily any text from a millimeter to a couple inches from my face, without the contacts in.

A millimeter from what? Your eye? ...What the hell are your eyes' lenses made of?

Awesometastic wrote:I have a freakin' HUGE Adam's Apple.

* points to self *

Awesometastic wrote:I can twist both my arms and legs around eachother 5 times.

No you can't.
...At least, not by any logical definition of "5 times."

Axel

Postby Axel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:38 am UTC

1) I have some sort of skin discoloration or something (I truly have no idea) on my arm shaped like a fireball/falling meteor/raindrop. It's starting to fade :(

2) I can turn my arm 360 degrees.

3) I constantly get random cuts, scars, and bruises out of nowhere (Completely random, but I think it's awesome).

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Two9A wrote:Someone a few pages back mentioned that they can bend their fingers at the first knuckle while keeping them straight at the second. I can do the same, but only on the middle and ring fingers of the left hand. It does look disturbing, I've had people tell me. I've never tried balancing a pen on the second knuckle and watching it fly a foot into the air, but I'm just gonna have to now, aren't I?

Other things: Hairy back (very hairy back), and a left ankle that's slightly bigger than the right (fell down a flight of stairs many years ago, sprained it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility
I can do that with my hand (the second pic on the wiki page.)

darwinwins

Postby darwinwins » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:27 am UTC

i can draw (well) with both hands (way better with right) and lick my elbows. my arms were abnormally stretched in weird and sometimes painful ways while climbing regularly in college.
"if you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking. that's the world of hicks and slobs. " - haruki murakami

Axel

Postby Axel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Oh, I forgot one thing - I'm penguin-toed (Feet turn inside slightly; see terrible diagram below) FTW!

Normal feet (From above): | |
My feet: / \

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:28 am UTC

About two months ago, I lost feeling in half each of two of my toes, and it still hasn't come back. :(

wst

Postby wst » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 am UTC

I have flat feet. Which is apparently bad. I don't know why though, they don't cause me any pain. I've never known my feet to be any different, so I think I'm okay. Bwaha.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Balidani

Postby Balidani » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

my left thumb is 0.7 cm shorter than the right one.

oh and to Guy_At_A_Keyboard that's the same with me, my left armpit has very little hair and the right is just about normal.

Nicole88

Postby Nicole88 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Even when I don't work out and get a bit of a tummy, I also have at least a shallow six pack.
I'm drunk on panda mystery.

Return to “General”