Are You a TEDhed? / What Should I Be When I Grow Up?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Apeiron

Are You a TEDhed? / What Should I Be When I Grow Up?

Postby Apeiron » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

Hi,

This will be a two issue thread. First, determining if people would be interested in a TED Talk Community. Second, if so, how involved should I/do I have to be involved in it. The latter is about a lifelong struggle with knowing what I want to be if I grow up.

- - -
In the tradition of Deadheads and Phishheads, are you a TEDhed? I've been a huge fan of the TED talks since the beginning. After watching a talk, I found myself inspired, but having no idea what to do next. The discussion system on the official TED site are ephemeral. I want a community (forum) for TED fans where they can have long conversations in threads and organize around the issues of the talks. I call this Discuss, Delve, Do. Discuss in depth. Delve in the the subject (10 to 20 minutes barely scratches the surface of any subject). DO something... turn that inspiration into action. The users could form groups to

Would any of you be interested in such a community? Do you think others would?

I can build this site (I already have), that part's easy. What I don't know how to do, is get people to join and participate. Or know if I should even bother.

- - -

Now for the personal part. I've never received "a calling". I'm fascinated by anything for a few hours/days/weeks and then I'm fascinated by something else. In a world that only values expertise, I've struggled. Often I find that I think something could/should be done, but I don't want to be involved in the doing. I want to write a proposal, hand it to people who can focus on something for more than a few hours so I can move on to thinking about something else. There's no category on Monster for jobs like that. No degree program called "Idea Haver". No job description of "think about this for a day or two and get back to us, thanks, now here's something new".

Have you found a way out of this hole? Know someone who has?

Thanks!

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: Are You a TEDhed? / What Should I Be When I Grow Up?

Postby Sprocket » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:24 pm UTC

Good luck. If you find an answer, let me know. <3
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:15 am UTC

Apeiron wrote:In the tradition of Deadheads and Phishheads, are you a TEDhed? I've been a huge fan of the TED talks since the beginning. After watching a talk, I found myself inspired, but having no idea what to do next. The discussion system on the official TED site are ephemeral. I want a community (forum) for TED fans where they can have long conversations in threads and organize around the issues of the talks. I call this Discuss, Delve, Do. Discuss in depth. Delve in the the subject (10 to 20 minutes barely scratches the surface of any subject). DO something... turn that inspiration into action. The users could form groups to

I can build this site (I already have), that part's easy. What I don't know how to do, is get people to join and participate. Or know if I should even bother.
Given the enormous popularity of TED talks, I'd say if no such "community" already exists, then probably many others have already tried and failed to create one. I might further venture that TED talks in general cover a range that is too broad to cater to any narrow community, and that many TED talks don't readily lend themselves to producing "action".

Now for the personal part. I've never received "a calling". I'm fascinated by anything for a few hours/days/weeks and then I'm fascinated by something else. In a world that only values expertise, I've struggled. Often I find that I think something could/should be done, but I don't want to be involved in the doing. I want to write a proposal, hand it to people who can focus on something for more than a few hours so I can move on to thinking about something else. There's no category on Monster for jobs like that. No degree program called "Idea Haver". No job description of "think about this for a day or two and get back to us, thanks, now here's something new".

You seem young. Maybe if you're really lucky – in the form of being surrounded by really supportive people, perhaps, or more likely of being really really rich – you might be able to get away with that for long enough. But otherwise time and necessity will stuff you down a hole soon enough. It ain't fun when it happens, but people survive.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:15 am UTC

I have enjoyed a fair number of TED talks in my time.
Last edited by Seven on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:17 am UTC

So, I love me some TED talks too, but make no mistake, they are not replacements for the actual knowledge and hard work that is required for the expertise to be worthy of giving one. I by no means have seen them all, so there might be exceptions, but none that I'm aware of are given by 'people who just like to think about things and have the work off to someone else'.

They are also generally speaking, pretty cool and informative fluff pieces. They're a starting point to go learn more, an engaging and impassioned means of getting people interested in something. Don't imagine for a second that A ) they're a primary source of information, or B ) that you know all there is to know about something because you heard a TED talk on it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:33 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:You seem young. Maybe if you're really lucky – in the form of being surrounded by really supportive people, perhaps, or more likely of being really really rich – you might be able to get away with that for long enough. But otherwise time and necessity will stuff you down a hole soon enough. It ain't fun when it happens, but people survive.

I turn 40 next year.

Luck seems to be the major factor.

Jorpho wrote:Given the enormous popularity of TED talks, I'd say if no such "community" already exists, then probably many others have already tried and failed to create one. I might further venture that TED talks in general cover a range that is too broad to cater to any narrow community, and that many TED talks don't readily lend themselves to producing "action".

Yeah, that's part of my worrying.
Last edited by Apeiron on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:They are also generally speaking, pretty cool and informative fluff pieces. They're a starting point to go learn more, an engaging and impassioned means of getting people interested in something. Don't imagine for a second that A ) they're a primary source of information, or B ) that you know all there is to know about something because you heard a TED talk on it.

That's one purpose of the site: Delve. Alan gives a talk on education. Beth watches it and wants to know more, so she heads to my site and finds Charlie, a teacher. Charlie directs her toward deeper sources. Danielle, under the the Do purpose of the site suggests to Beth that she join her local school board. Beth gathers parents from her area, to watch the talk and see if they can move the needle at their local school's next meeting.

Seven

Postby Seven » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:52 pm UTC

"Fluff pieces" for us science types, perhaps -- but we do tend to complain about the stupidity/ignorance of the rest of the population, and for them, the fluff is a good place to start... if they aren't interested in that, then there's no engaging them.

I still pick up a tid-bit here and there (usually a personal experience shared), in spite of the fluff.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:13 pm UTC

Why do we need a middle man? Presumably anyone who watches a TED talk and thinks "Man, that's cool, I want to learn more" can go to google and start learning more. Or looking to take a night class at a local school/library. Or listening to the talk and having an idea of how to get involved.

Seven wrote:"Fluff pieces" for us science types, perhaps -- but we do tend to complain about the stupidity/ignorance of the rest of the population, and for them, the fluff is a good place to start... if they aren't interested in that, then there's no engaging them.
Of course, my issue isn't with raising sciencesuch awareness, but with people then thinking TED talks are primary resources, or, not recognizing that TED talks are given by very accomplished people in a field, not by some random dude who thought about something hard.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:44 am UTC

Apeiron wrote:I turn 40 next year.
...Then I'm quite impressed you've made it so far hoping to be able to think of things that could/should be done in which the doing thereof you could be uninvolved. This seems to be wholly at odds with my paradigm of how the world works. What exactly have you been doing, may I ask?

Alan gives a talk on education. Beth watches it and wants to know more, so she heads to my site and finds Charlie, a teacher. Charlie directs her toward deeper sources. Danielle, under the the Do purpose of the site suggests to Beth that she join her local school board. Beth gathers parents from her area, to watch the talk and see if they can move the needle at their local school's next meeting.
I shudder at the thought of people watching a TED talk and suddenly feeling that they are sufficiently informed to go to a school meeting (or whatever) and dictate policy to people who have devoted their lives to the subject.

That would be my major issue with someone who thinks he can come up with an idea and then absolve himself of all responsibility when it comes to its implementation.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:22 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I shudder at the thought of people watching a TED talk and suddenly feeling that they are sufficiently informed to go to a school meeting (or whatever) and dictate policy to people who have devoted their lives to the subject.

Watching a TED talk would put the average school board meeting attendee ahead of the curve.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Seven

Postby Seven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:37 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Watching a TED talk would put the average school board meeting attendee ahead of the curve.

Agreed.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 am UTC

Only with respect to alerting the average member of society that there's something out there they don't know about and might be interested in.

I.e., the same way a random Wikipedia page should put the average reader ahead of the curve. See those citations at the bottom? That's where you go next. A TED talk is a catchy, less detailed, Wikipedia entry.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

We aren't talking average member of society, we're talking average school board meeting attendee. Completely different breed of animal.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:02 pm UTC

Jopho wrote:...Then I'm quite impressed you've made it so far hoping to be able to think of things that could/should be done in which the doing thereof you could be uninvolved. This seems to be wholly at odds with my paradigm of how the world works. What exactly have you been doing, may I ask?

Struggling to get by as a computer tech. My favorite jobs have been Intel Analyst for the Air Force (reading classified stuff, making/giving briefings), and being the IT dept. for a small company. I've also been profoundly lucky in having parents willing to let me move back in with them for a few years, and now a wife that makes enough that we both don't have to work full time.

Yes, it's at odds with the world. That's what gets me out of bed at 3am and curled into a ball on the floor trying to think of reasons to not kill myself (this was last night). Yes, I'm medicated and in therapy... but those won't make me good at something for which i can be paid/derive a sense of self worth. They don't make the Xth hour/day/month/year of something bearable. No matter how energized I am about something when I start, I begin to lose interest in favor of the next hamster loose in my brain... or I begin to resent that thing.

Jorpho wrote:I shudder at the thought of people watching a TED talk and suddenly feeling that they are sufficiently informed to go to a school meeting (or whatever) and dictate policy to people who have devoted their lives to the subject.

No one said dictate. I said attend the meeting... get involved. There was also the matter of Delving... learning more than what is covered in the talk. You're also getting into Appeal to Authority... assuming that people that who are "qualified" must be right/that those who aren't will be wrong. Sometimes experts are wrong about an issue or are bad people. How many schools with people devoted to a subject are teaching Creationism?
Last edited by Apeiron on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:

No one said dictate. I said attend the meeting... get involved. There was also the matter of Delving... learning more than what is covered in the talk. You should read a post before responding to it. You're also getting into Appeal to Authority... assuming that people that who are "qualified" must be right/that those who aren't will be wrong. Sometimes experts are wrong about an issue or are bad people. How many schools with people devoted to a subject are teaching Creationism?

You seem to have your wires really crossed here.

Why do we need a middle man? Isn't the point of TEDtalks to serve as the middle man between professionals and the public, to bring something interesting and new in a flashy easily consumable package to the general layperson?

Jorpho wasn't rocking an Appeal to Authority at all, but, it is kind of hilarious for someone to accuse someone else of that in a thread about the awesomeness of TEDtalks, given how they're so often grossly reduced and simplified (i.e., not entirely accurate).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:No matter how energized I am about something when I start, I begin to lose interest in favor of the next hamster loose in my brain... or I begin to resent that thing.
Well, lots of people work at things they resent. Some people just keep at it because they don't really know what else to do. And some people derive a little joy from knowing that they are good at what they do and/or striving to do better – which of course is a little hard to do when one is starting out and thus inherently not good at all and unknowledgeable about how to do better. Because of course someone with more experience is probably going to be more skilled and know more things than someone who is just starting out.

How about journalism? As I understand it, some journalists frequently get to dabble in things before moving on to the next thing.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:In the tradition of Deadheads and Phishheads, are you a TEDhed? I've been a huge fan of the TED talks since the beginning. After watching a talk, I found myself inspired, but having no idea what to do next. The discussion system on the official TED site are ephemeral. I want a community (forum) for TED fans where they can have long conversations in threads and organize around the issues of the talks. I call this Discuss, Delve, Do. Discuss in depth. Delve in the the subject (10 to 20 minutes barely scratches the surface of any subject). DO something... turn that inspiration into action. The users could form groups to

Not really. TED talks are interesting for domains about which I know little. At the risk of sounding arrogant, they are often at a super-basic level, and thus, I already know too much of the content to really be interested. They're not a bad thing, of course, but I view them as science for people who don't science. One step up from watching the discovery channel.

I do enjoy discussion(that's why I'm here, obviously), but do not believe that discussion and doing are inherently related. In fact, I believe that single people who are highly skilled can often accomplish more than a team simply because of avoiding the need for communication. Inspiration is a fleeting thing. Chatting about stuff often merely makes us FEEL as if we are doing something, without actually accomplishing much of anything.

Nothing inherently wrong with running a site, but I think you need to narrow down your goals. What tools or goals are you providing that are unique?

Thanks!

I hate to break this to you, but ideas by themselves are worthless. They are the fun bit that everybody has. There is no job for that because literally everyone has dreams and ideas they want to pursue. If you want others to pursue your ideas, you need to pay them to do so. Maybe the payment isn't monetary, but in other forms such as social acceptance, a sense of accomplishment of doing good, or what have you...but you need to entice them to work for you.

Literally everyone wishes they had someone to do the boring bits for them.

Return to “General”