Signs of stress, I guess.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Signs of stress, I guess.

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 am UTC

I think I should really try to relax more about schooling, my eyelid twitches all the time at educational centers. Sure, I have more to worry about in schooling than most, but still, it doesn't help.

1) Anyone else find the body's reactions to stress more stressful than the stressor?

2) Other reactions to stress?
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:13 am UTC

My girlfriend needs to adjust my back almost 10 times a day. I am a ball of stress. I constantly have horrible ropes of tense muscle in my back, and I tend to scratch myself involuntarily until I bleed and scar over. I also tend to chew on my lower lip a lot. I grind my teeth when I'm typing or reading a book, which I do often, so I have to sit back and do breathing exercises every few minutes or I'd lose my enamel, I bet.

I'm gonna go to therapy for it because I know stress is slowly killing my parents. >_>

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:13 am UTC

A good way to deal with stress is to take long, deep breaths through the nose.

My main reaction to stress is insomnia.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:15 am UTC

1) Yes.

2) I bite my nails and they start to hurt, the skin around them.

Kikral

Postby Kikral » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:16 am UTC

It's a bit weird, but when i'm stressed, my acne moves up. For example, during the summer, no school, mostly relaxation. My acne goes down to my back and chest. Back in school, doing four-hour a night homework, it moves up to my face.

I also chew on my fingerskin a lot. My knuckles are permanently scarred because of it.

So yeah, stress is weird. I've gotten grey hairs for giving a speech. I'm sick of it.
I am the man your gods will have nightmares about for the next 50 years.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:18 am UTC

How do I handle stress? I seethe, or pound on the punching bag, or hug one of my kids (note: That last one might be hard for some of you.)

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Oh yes, I forgot the rest of my symptoms, it's quite a strange list:

Distraction(to the point of Schizophrenia?)
Stomach Ache
Stiffness (must pop every joint)
Incoherence (difficulty putting sentences together, combined with my natural speech difficulties)
Clacking my teeth (slamming them together, this is mostly accidental, it makes a loud and annoying enamel-clap)

And so on.

Stress causes stress. >.<
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:hug one of my kids (note: That last one might be hard for some of you.)

it's only hard because I dunno where you live

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:22 am UTC

Shizo wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:hug one of my kids (note: That last one might be hard for some of you.)

it's only hard because I dunno where you live

Even if you knew where I live, I have lots of big knives. (That's also how I deal with stress.)

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:25 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:How do I handle stress? I seethe, or pound on the punching bag, or hug one of my kids (note: That last one might be hard for some of you.)

Yes. We don't even know where your kids are.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:29 am UTC

ks_physicist wrote:Yes. We don't even know where your kids are.

I like the way you think.

To stay on topic: To relieve stress, I play online shooters. and own

Mathmagic
It's not as cool as that Criss Angel stuff.

Postby Mathmagic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:29 am UTC

Kikral wrote:It's a bit weird, but when i'm stressed, my acne moves up. For example, during the summer, no school, mostly relaxation. My acne goes down to my back and chest. Back in school, doing four-hour a night homework, it moves up to my face.

I also chew on my fingerskin a lot. My knuckles are permanently scarred because of it.

That's *exactly* what happens to me too. Although I don't have acne regularly, I tend to get get substantially murkier skin complexion on my face when I'm stressed. I also do the fingers thing...

Weird...
Axman: That, and have you played DX 10 games? It's like having your corneas swabbed with clits made out of morphine.
Pathway: cocks cocks cocks

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:38 am UTC

I don't really get stressed. It might be something that I learned off of my father, who is incredibly relaxed. There's not that much that will make me nervous, and scared, and I can't think of anything that stresses me out to the max. Maybe when I was depressed, but I'd just cry then, and I don't do that anymore. So, yeah, apathy beats stress any day, in my book.

Actually, when I talk to people about private things, and there's not many of them for me, my mouth fills up with saliva and I get worried that it's all going to spill out of my mouth. So I swallow it.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Whenever (hardly ever) I get stressed I think the thing to do is not stop the stressing, but stop the thing that is stressing you, take a break if necessary.
=]

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:59 am UTC

I found out today from my parents that both sides of my family are heavily alcoholic/drug using, at least one person from every generation for 4 generations (and probably farther back). This terrifies me because I tend to miss social situations that involved some level of drug use (though I've only experienced pot twice, so it's not like I make a habit of being stoned) when I get really really stressed.

I've never made a daily or even weekly habit out of recreational usage, but now I'm afraid I'm the 'bad daughter,' and that I'll end up curled up in a bottle for the rest of my life, or that I'll gain an emotional dependency on any ADD or anxiety drug I might start taking again when I get therapy. I mean, I don't want to be 'bad' and use substances to help me function, but I know some people seem to do so, and I don't want to be perceived as weak.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:03 am UTC

When I get badly stressed (which means the point when I start shaking and having the beginnings of an anxiety attack), I tend to hop into a hot shower until the shakes go away.

Spikes in normal background stress just causes my skin to dry in random splotches
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

Oort

Postby Oort » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:04 am UTC

I try to have a zen-like attitude to things that stress me. It doesn't always work though.

My reaction: minor headaches, pacing.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:50 am UTC

Lyra Ngalia wrote:When I get badly stressed (which means the point when I start shaking and having the beginnings of an anxiety attack), I tend to hop into a hot shower until the shakes go away.

I forgot that. If I am angry, I find that a hot bath is an instant leech on my frustration, anxiety, and tics. I really wish I could just have a warm summer shower cloud follow me everywhere, because I'd be a lot happier. I was a 'water baby,' but not in the Hydrocephalus, Billy Quizboy sense, but the 'this kid loves water' sense. I think a lot of people experience this, as, you know, spas and the like exist.

I get frustrated and stressed over my tendency to clutter badly. Oddly enough, I AM aware of it, but only when I am quiet and alone--when I am in a social situation, even on the phone with one person, I am suddenly very incoherent. Does anyone else do this? Do you stress out over things you know are rather hard to control? Or is it more outside influence?

Conversations with me are "like walking into a Dali painting" to quote Mac Hall.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:51 am UTC

My hands shake and start to sweat, I get a dropping sensation in my stomach. Normal stuff. I think for prolonged stress I get the acne also.

My wrists hurt, but not from stress.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:59 am UTC

My stress has a tangled way of building on itself sometimes. That is, I worry about worring about stuff. I also have eczema and allergies which get worse with the addition of anxieties. The sort of thing my brain goes through: "why is my scalp so itchy? I bet it's anxiety over not having done that thing I was supposed to do. Am I really worried that much? Dang, worrying that much could give me an ulcer. I bet I'm getting an ulcer. Wait, is it just crazy for me to think that? Am I a hypochondriac? Would I know if I was crazy?"

If I over or mis-think things, which does happen when I'm frustrated sometimes, I can forget what order words are supposed to go in. Oddly enough, I seem to confuse myself more than other people. More so when I'm waking up, someone will ask me something, I'll answer and they seem to understand, but a moment later I'll realize I have no idea what either of us said.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:16 am UTC

I don't really get stressed at all.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 am UTC

I just concentrate too much on breathing sometimes and subsequently have trouble doing so.

hestia

Postby hestia » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:55 am UTC

I sort of go into freak out mode. If I think about stress to much I will breathe to fast and tear myself down more with stuff like "I can't do it, it's too much" and the like. There is also usually a lot of crying involved.

I usually just need someone to talk me out of it which is rather unfun. That is what boyfriends are for though. :D

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

Wow, I'm really lucky compared to you guys in terms of severeness of reactions to stress... :shock:

When I feel stressed I really just...feel stressed. And I don't really get stressed very often--usually I stay calmer than most of the people around me.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:19 am UTC

I don't really do the stressed thing, either. When I am physically stressed (e.g. no sleep, no shower in the last 24 hours) I get more acne. That's much more frequent than emotional stress. I don't get emotionally stressed very often; I can usually let go of a negative emotion within a few minutes.

Only rarely (maybe once a year?) does it accumulate to the point of stress, and then I snap (and regret it for hours afterwards, even if the person I snap at deserved it). When a single thing gets me riled (like that *&& ^%&* &*&^%$ ^%# online class registration website that's supposed to make things easier, but takes hours just to find the right link that you can get started with), I can get angry to the point that I want to break something. Tossing a large rock at another large rock can be very cathartic. Too bad there aren't any large rocks anywhere convenient around here.

What usually happens when I don't give myself enough sleep (yes, I procrastinate at going to sleep), instead of merely being quiet (I am kinda shy irl. I have a hard time thinking and talking at the same time, and the former is system default), I will forget the names of various words. In engaging in normal conversation I will be asking myself, "what's that word again?"
LOWA

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:21 am UTC

I dream, vividly and a lot, and wake up the next day feeling exhausted because I thrash around in my sleep, often throwing things across the room. This can go on for months at a time.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:44 am UTC

I do get physically stressed like not having enough sleep and stuff, but that generally just comes out as me feeling physically shit. Other then that nothing here. I like it :-).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

I'm telling you people, hitting things is one of the best things you can do. Visualize the object of your stress, and go beat up a tree, or a telephone pole, or a JW, or a punching bag.

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:06 pm UTC

I have a very observable stress scale. The more stressed I am the more I move around. As I start getting more my tics come back and I chew on my tongue and sniffle a lot and then my speech impediments come back. When I get really stressed I walk around a lot and/or organize/line everything up at right angles. At the peak of stress I have a tendency to hyperventilate, this combined with my speech impediments coming back makes me impossible to talk to when I'm stressed. I've been so stressed lately that I spent ten minutes walking around in a circle and pulling at my hair the other night and I have neatened up my basement (where my room is located) several times over.

And that is only the most prevalent symptoms.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Droooo

Postby Droooo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

I had psoriasis last year which apparently is stress related, and that definitely stressed me out more. It's like a big vicious circle of stress.

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Oooh damn, I_d. Can of worms.

1. YES.

2. My reactions to stress are weird/crazy, and they freak people out, so I don't like to bring them up, but you did ask, and talking about things is therapeutic... so...

When I'm stressed out - i.e., upset - I get very badly OCD about my body; it's like needing to sand something down until it's perfectly smooth, but with my skin. If there are any bumps or ingrown hairs, I pick at them until they bleed. Ditto scabs. Ditto acne. Ditto blisters. It's gotten so bad lately that I've been forcing myself to wear legwarmers unless I'm bathing, trimming my nails down as much as possible, hiding all of the tweezers, nail clippers, cuticle pushers, pins, needles, scissors, metal things with edges - because my legs, at the moment, look horrifically diseased. They're not. I've just been attacking them.

When it gets really bad, even after I've taken away any tools I could use, I gnaw on various body parts with my teeth. At least it's just my legs these days. I used to carve/slice/chew off the pads on my feet until it hurt to walk - I couldn't stand the feeling of the callouses, the dead skin, on top of the tender skin. I also can't wear nail polish; my nails are sensitive, and I can *feel* the polish like a layer of plastic, so I always end up scraping it off.

:o See kids, this is what happens when you direct all of your bad feelings towards yourself in a futile attempt to keep from bothering other people with your worthless emotions. No matter how much you want to please others, becoming obsessed with achieving perfection has many bad side effects (see above!). It's much healthier to hit things.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:27 pm UTC

When I am stressed I usually just suffer from insomnia and definitely the nail biting thing.

I can handle the not sleeping, but the my fingers looking like they have been through a blender is fairly annoying.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

When i'm stressed heavily, it goes in a routine:

1. Go away on AIM.
2. Get $5.
3. Get Ipod
4. Start walking to a nearby gas station.
5. Start playing A Live Collection 10 [Come to Daddy] at some point.
6. Clench fists and tense up muscles.
7. Buy a drink, usually Rockstar.
8. Listen to Mt. Saint Michael + St. Michael's Mountain.
9. Go home
10. Talk to no one for at least one hour.
11. (Optional) break something.

Music is my only real way with coping with anything, and next in line is just talking to any friend.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

When I get stressed, I tend to misread things. For example, I initially read the topic of this post as "Signs of Streets." I was briefly excited, having a few pictures of somewhat humorous road signs. Upon realization of my mistake, the stress level increases. It is a vicious cycle!

Does anyone else take these? Off to the Odd Hobbies thread I go!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:00 pm UTC

Wow f_s, that's quite something.

I actually used to, and still sort of do that, but I got my body under control, so it's not so bad anymore, because there are few flaws (I wash my face too much, ensuring no acne or anything of that nature).

Because, I still do the same thing you do, but my SO has gotten me to use Her as a point of release. I keep my emotions locked up and targetted to myself to keep from bothering other people.

Hope to share with you soon :)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

I am apparently very stressed and tense. This manifests itself mentally (always tired and worn out), physically (I want to move around and do something), and sexually.

Also, my shoulders are much more tense than they should be. A back run that would have anyone else moaning in pleasure feels like I'm being stabbed. That's not a good thing.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

-If it's a Weekday- (Sunday - Thurs)

Step 1) i go running
Step 2) Veg out and play video games till i feel like i just woke up.

-If it's the Weekend- (Friday-Sat)

Step 1) smoke a cigarette or two
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

f_s, that is a pretty serious problem. You should try to stop that, granted I am not in the perfect position to judge; I have been known to pick off large sections of my nails, tear off scabs, and scratch myself far too hard, but only two of those cause bleeding and it sounds like you are seriously mutilating yourself.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

functionally_stupid

Postby functionally_stupid » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:22 am UTC

See, I know I should stop. That's not the problem. The problem is that a tricky, disobedient part of me doesn't want to stop. It's the part of me that still believes that I'm a worthless piece of meat and it doesn't matter what happens to my body as long as it doesn't keep me from performing my duties satisfactorily; that believes my only value is in the service of the needs of others and to want anything else for myself is to be wicked; that believes I must be punished, and frequently, until I become perfect.

It's complicated, but talking about it helps. :blush: Even though I'm tall and hulk-like, I'm pretty submissive, and I crave structure; so being given explicit directions helps me a lot with stopping bad habits. *nod nod* Granted, I need to be careful about who I talk to, because obeying orders is something I just *do*; obeying unscrupulous people has gotten me in trouble in the past.

So hey, forumites, I think you're trustworthy, wise, and generally decent people! <3. (Gawd, I feel such the drama queen. XD)

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:34 am UTC

functionally_stupid wrote:Granted, I need to be careful about who I talk to, because obeying orders is something I just *do*; obeying unscrupulous people has gotten me in trouble in the past.

[Idea Lightbulb]

Kidding!

But yeah, I'd be interested in finding out how many forumites' default impulse is to comply when told to do things. As func'_stu' knows, I'll always do things when asked to, and often will when told to. My default position is "sure, whatever." Though I won't do things that will actually harm me (I come up with enough crazy shit to hurt myself with), I'll do pretty much anything else if asked.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

Return to “General”