The Evolution of a forum.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

xX_XKCD_Xx

The Evolution of a forum.

Postby xX_XKCD_Xx » Sun May 24, 2015 6:01 pm UTC

You clicked on this, so I'll jump right in.

The evolution of a forum has 4 steps:

Evolution 1
This type of forum, classified as the Low-population Forum usually starts with a very small and enjoyable number of people, usually all mods. These are the friends and family of the owner, and at this stage the forum is generally the 'sweetest.'
The community is very friendly with one another, the topics usually has a few posts, and it's generally fun all around. After researching zabing12, it seems like he participated in this type of forum:
http://z13.invisionfree.com/50FuckingTo ... hp?act=idx

Evolution 2
These types of forums generally have few to many people, and only focus on one or two topics. These are help forums, service forums, or otherwise support forums.
The people here are experts in the topic that the forum has adopted, or clueless citizens looking to educate themselves. This evolution is a big jump from evolution one. Usually a single person (most of the time the owner), to get more people into his/her community, will scoot the forum over to a certain topic. That way, when someone wants to look up computer forums, Their forum is what comes up.

Evolution 3
On this step, There are two things that could come of evolution three. One, The owner starts to intend for his forum focusing on one topic to happen (http://www.minecraftforum.net/) or two, he or she starts creating topic for other things. The forum will start to look like a wikipedia game, going from computers to feminism debates over the course of two or three years. Although this is what this forum seems like, this forum has evolved to the highest state in the XKCD evolution.

Evolution Four(Classified as America.)
In the last state of forum evolution, this forum has diversified itself so much that it creates entire bubbles of communities inside each of the topics. A number of users in science is never seen inside forum games or hardware, or a number of users inside General never go into mathematics, completely diversifying each and every topic, making entire communities that are completely unaware of a huge population of users who don't know anything about the other communities either. The population is tremendous, much more than any of the other evolutions. This is XKCD forum.

Any farther in evolution is an evolution where these bubbles don't exist. Evolution four, when the entire population knows of each user that comes from the internet, that greet them like a small town allowing another to arrive and share in their utopia, is evolution five. Yet there is no forum that has evolved to this state.
I am a phoenix,
Returning from the dead,
From ashes and dust
From departed and gone
I return with a fire burning like no other
A blaze of glory and might.
-My fifth grade poem.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: The Evolution of a forum.

Postby Weeks » Sun May 24, 2015 9:15 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 pm UTC

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon May 25, 2015 2:50 am UTC

suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

xX_XKCD_Xx

Postby xX_XKCD_Xx » Mon May 25, 2015 3:22 am UTC

whats with all the pictures?
I am a phoenix,
Returning from the dead,
From ashes and dust
From departed and gone
I return with a fire burning like no other
A blaze of glory and might.
-My fifth grade poem.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 25, 2015 3:51 am UTC

... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby bluebambue » Mon May 25, 2015 4:16 am UTC

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon May 25, 2015 4:18 am UTC

xX_XKCD_Xx wrote:whats with all the pictures?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon May 25, 2015 4:20 am UTC

xX_XKCD_Xx wrote:whats with all the pictures?

Is there anything to discuss?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 25, 2015 6:29 am UTC

I'm of the mind of Deva here. I'm not sure what it is you're wanting to discuss.

Are you wanting people to disagree with your assessment? We can't. Not really. There are no set in stone "This is how you can measure a forum" guidelines.

I disagree with a lot of your layout. I don't see a difference between what you've divided into 1 and 2, but I also believe you've forgotten a very, very important measurement - forum life cycle.

Birth (first posters), growth (expanding userbase, where entering users outnumber leaving users by several factors), maturing (where the number of exiting users is at minimum equal to the number of new users on average, and usually is at least double or triple) and decline - when the number of leaving users exceeds new users. That is far more important than your stages, mostly as growth and maturation are what drive the evolution forward. If a forum goes from birth to decline in a month, it'll never get beyond your second step. On the other hand, something that stays in the growth phase for years will jump ahead to your 4th stage as the existing users are overwhelmed by the influx of newbies and the culture of the forum is shaped by the new, not the old.

And if you want, you could even divide the stages I set out with more granularity, but I don't really see a point. A forum only gets one birth stage, but after that it can freely move between the other stages. Yes, the stages are meant to judge multi-month if not yearly trends, sure, but a forum can go from growth to decline back to growth over the span of four or five years for various reasons.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

FierceContinent

Postby FierceContinent » Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Image

Responding with an obscure injoke?
How awesome!!!
The greatest Science Hero is almost certainly Norman Borlaug. His selectively bred crops have saved many, many people from starvation.
Just to be clear, the number of lives Norman Borlaug is credited with saving is in the BILLIONS.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScienceHero

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Mon May 25, 2015 11:00 am UTC

Cats are not obscure. You know about cats, don't play coy.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon May 25, 2015 3:15 pm UTC

FierceContinent wrote:Responding with an obscure injoke?
How awesome!!!

Return to “General”