What kinds of Wikipedia edits do you make?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Gadren

What kinds of Wikipedia edits do you make?

Postby Gadren » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:23 am UTC

Just wondering what sort of edits you end up making to Wikipedia.

As for me, I'm still not very educated in any particular field, so I'm still a consumer of Wikinformation instead of a producer, but I still do a few things. Mainly, I make colored maps. I do them partially because they're easy and kind of therapeutic to make (like a color-by-number painting), but also because I find I learn more about the subject by visualizing the relationship between countries more than just a list would give.

I have to keep myself from contributing to "mapcruft," or the posting of maps when they aren't really useful, of course. :)

Here are a few of the maps I uploaded, in case you're wondering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IntlOrgan.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BS_time.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:LatinUnion.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ColomboPlan.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:OIC_Map.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:ADPA_map.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wcg_map.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Glob ... x_2007.png

What about you? Do your various fields of study have anything to do with the kinds of edits you do, or are you like me in pressing "Random Page" until you find something in need of edits?

pingu

Postby pingu » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:03 am UTC

rem
Last edited by pingu on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Was an Anti-Vandal Patroller, but the merging of most of the Mario character pages kind of turned me off.

I also made quite a few minor touch ups to articles, and removed misused Speedy Delete tags that an anon put on the xkcd and...errr...xkcd articles.

The anon's only edits were attempts to get rid of those two articles...
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Oort

Postby Oort » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 am UTC

Minor changes. My most recent was from a long time a go changing a broken link.

Lyra Ngalia

Postby Lyra Ngalia » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:40 am UTC

I almost exclusively do small anonymous edits for grammar and typos. Once in a while I might go through and standardize stuff in a long article with many subsections, but that's rare.

I don't have a long enough attention span to write an entire Wiki article.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path... Only I will remain.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:06 am UTC

I don't. I don't find wikipedia useful as more than a minor quick-reference, and I most certainly DO NOT work for free. I've worked damned hard to gain the knowledge and experience I have, I'll be damned if I'm going to give that away to the masses - in the worst case, I'd become less valuable as an individual. More likely some other idiot would edit all the fact out of whatever I say and call it "original research"
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:12 am UTC

Mostly I just correct grammar, puncuation, and spelling. And mostly just in the awful anime/manga entries.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 am UTC

Most of my edits have been pretty minor... grammar corrections and stuff like that. I moved up to making clarification edits where I substantially changed wording, then started actually adding content.

My biggest edits have been to the pages for Hungarian notation, C++0x, and the Windows Registry. I've got a login there (same name as here) if you're really curious, but I've also made a ton of minor edits anonymously. (I started using it when I started making bigger edits as a way to take claim and responsibility for them, and just stay logged in; so minor edits are done under my name too.)

I don't have that many though; I've got under 100 edits to my name, several to talk pages, and quite a number that are 'grouped' in the sense that I was editing several sections at once, but did them one by one to minimize the chance for a conflict and also the pain of editing pages in a web browser's text box.

For the curious, my watchlist contains five items: BURS, Hungarian Notation, Long Filename, Primer (Film), and Windows Registry.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:25 am UTC

wing wrote:I don't. I don't find wikipedia useful as more than a minor quick-reference, and I most certainly DO NOT work for free. I've worked damned hard to gain the knowledge and experience I have, I'll be damned if I'm going to give that away to the masses - in the worst case, I'd become less valuable as an individual. More likely some other idiot would edit all the fact out of whatever I say and call it "original research"

For some reason I was reminded of this book cover. :P

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:25 am UTC

I like going around sticking [citation needed] on things that sound really fishy, and have no reference. I also correct minor typos.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:39 am UTC

I fry goddamn trivia lists.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:45 am UTC

I like those! Hmph.

What's the consensus on "In Popular Culture" sections in articles? Are they cool?

madjo

Postby madjo » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:48 am UTC

I've fixed some formatting problems at certain pages. But I don't do that regularly. (I also don't have a Wikipedia account)
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am UTC

Here's my take on the pop-culture lists, after reading and re-reading the various Wikiguides on what Wikipedia is and is not...

Assuming it's written out, it's cool. Something like "In the movie X and television show Y, both of which are based on the book series by Author Q, Subject Z is the primary focus. While Subject Z does make an occasional appearance in television show R, the creators have changed it signifigantly by adding Elements A, B, and C. And though it's never named as Subject Z, clearly Character T in the movie G is a reference to Subject Z.

As opposed to

* Book Series by Author Q is about Subject Z
* Subject Z appears in Movie X
* Subject Z appears in TV show Y
* Subject Z is a minor plot element of TV show R
* Character T from Movie G is Subject Z, but is never called it by name.

That shit can go die. Die and burn in hell.

But.. it really all depends. Vampires in Pop Culture? Sure.. Bram Stoker, Anne Rice, the White Wolf games.. they deserve a mention. Buffy and Angel.. yeah, why not, though it's kinda getting out there... the Anime series Hellsing.... not really needed. Kinda getting too much in there.... some book series no one has ever heard of other than the author who might be the guy who added it.... Why?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:28 pm UTC

My pet wikipedia articles tend to have things to do with Owen Pallett. I read a lot of his interviews, and so end up adding citations and things like that. I also start stubs for albums done by different Canadian musicians.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

zenten

Postby zenten » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:I like those! Hmph.

What's the consensus on "In Popular Culture" sections in articles? Are they cool?

As long as it is suitably "encyclopedic", why not?

It's not like Wikipedia is running out of server space.

WIKIPEDIA ISNOTAN INDISCRIMINATE COLLECTION OF INFORMATION!!!

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

I'm a newpage patroller, and spend most of my time tagging new articles that look like spam/non notable/etc. I also google suspicious entries looking for copyright violations.

I also tend to wander randomly and do cleanup on tone, and nuke irrelevant or self-promotional external links.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

I correct typos and inaccuracies when I find them, but have only rarely added anything significant.

(My contributions when logged in are here, by the way.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:02 pm UTC

Mostly typos and broken links and stuff. I did once edit the article on Swedish grammar for accuracy (they had misanalysed possessive constructions), though.

yelly

Postby yelly » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

I normally fix small things in articles I am reading anyway (I remember once when I was on Hassidism, there was this guy who claimed to the besht and later the messiah, that kind of stuff, as well as typos and whatnot). I might more heavily edit something if it is really wrong/biased.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 am UTC

wing wrote:I don't. I don't find wikipedia useful as more than a minor quick-reference, and I most certainly DO NOT work for free. I've worked damned hard to gain the knowledge and experience I have, I'll be damned if I'm going to give that away to the masses - in the worst case, I'd become less valuable as an individual. More likely some other idiot would edit all the fact out of whatever I say and call it "original research"

Please, please, say this is trolling. Elsewise, you are, in my opinion, exactly what is wrong with humanity.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:42 am UTC

I provide untrue information and tons of criticism.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:52 am UTC

I grammar check the place. It really bothers me when I'm reading up on something and there's bad grammar.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:57 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:I provide untrue information and tons of criticism.

This is essentially all I would be able to offer to wikipedia so I just don't edit anything.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:59 am UTC

Wilibus wrote:
Amicitia wrote:I provide untrue information and tons of criticism.

This is essentially all I would be able to offer to wikipedia so I just don't edit anything.

It's not that I don't know the correct information, it's just more fun to misinform people.

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:11 am UTC

I usually tidy up random grammar stuff, or add "In Popular Culture" references.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:02 am UTC

Or, in other words, "I'm willing to benefit from other people's contributions of time, money, and effort to Wikipedia, but damned if I'm going to give back to the community."

Somehow, I don't recall hearing from any of the other mods about an invoice forum from you for when you earned your title.

My edits on Wikipedia include:
- contributing photos of local people and places
- fixing spelling/grammar of things I read (including a few massive copyedits)
- since WP is a secondary source, look up primary sources and correct the errors in the articles (like this recent edit)
- watching pages I've edited for further changes, and being on guard for spammers/flamers/trolls
- I've contributed a spoken article (a small article to try it out), and I'd like to do some more.

I've also researched people in online (subscription-only) newspaper archives to contribute (referenced) info on them.

So, essentially, same as I do here, except it only appears as red text when you view the changes. :twisted:

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:09 am UTC

I don't take the time to actively seek out work on Wikipedia, but I correct language, formatting and vandalism when I come across it while looking for information.

(Oh, and I've expanded the former stub article on Slithzerikai, a race from the Exile trilogy by Spiderweb Software. But that was three years ago.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 am UTC

Gadren wrote:For some reason I was reminded of this book cover. :P

I do not mean to be off-topic, but that just about made my ENTIRE WEEK. *hug*

Also, I don't edit Wikipedia, mostly because I surf it only for the sorts of things no one would bother to edit out of assholery, like historical things that aren't controversial. I have edited once or twice anonymously because of "SO AND SO IS SOOOO GAY AND SUCKS COCKS" sorta stuff...but mostly I just leave it untouched.

pingu

Postby pingu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:34 am UTC

Sweet zombie Jesus...This is not so friendly.

Just cutting the cruft:

...knowledge...I'll be damned if I'm going to give that away to the masses.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

pingu wrote:

Just cutting the cruft:

That's overly harsh.

I think Wing's attitude is perfectly acceptable. Why should he?

How much of your time do you spend spreading your knowledge? Do you do it every waking minute? If not, then stop criticizing, because all we're talking about is a matter of degree.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:
pingu wrote:

Just cutting the cruft:

That's overly harsh.

How much of your time do you spend spreading your knowledge? Do you do it every waking minute? If not, then stop criticizing, because all we're talking about is a matter of degree.

He's not saying the same thing as "I'm too lazy to bother editing" though. He seems to have a moral objection to updating wikipedia, but has no qualms about using it.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

It's not a moral objection, it's just him saying that he doesn't want to give away his hard-earned knowledge for free.

There's no hypocrisy (IMNSHO) with having that opinion and yet still taking advantage of those who don't. It's not like he feels that giving away knowledge is wrong, it's some blend of he thinks he should get paid for it and that he has better (more productive or more fun) stuff to do in his spare time.

After all, you're all here instead of editing Wikipedia. Why? Because you want to spend some of your limited time having fun.

Wing can, of course, come in and say I'm totally wrong here. ;-)

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

I was doing some research on Teipei 101, and Wiki said there was a large metal counterweight at the 80-ish floor, then later in the article the link that was cited said the counterweight was at the 85-ish floor or some such, so I changed the Wiki article to match the source. That's my only Wiki edit.

Nosforit

Postby Nosforit » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

I revert vandalism since I weed through a lot of articles anyway any given month, and ask strange questions on the discussion page. I've added genuinely useful links at times.
Submit.

mrcheesypants

Postby mrcheesypants » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

I did my first wikipedia edit today. Cleaned up some vandalism on the article about bromine calling it a "asshole halogen." The world is now a much better place because of me. Yay me...

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:33 am UTC

zenten wrote:
EvanED wrote:
pingu wrote:

Just cutting the cruft:

That's overly harsh.

He's not saying the same thing as "I'm too lazy to bother editing" though. He seems to have a moral objection to updating wikipedia, but has no qualms about using it.

Machiavelli would be proud, how diligently he works to take and keep power. (Power here meaning knowledge.) Well, I'm not judging you, in fact I think it's kinda cool. Most people aren't as upfront with their naked will to power.

As an attitude, it's not conductive to humanity's becoming peaceful enlightened hand-holding star children, but you can't really complain about someone having different priorities from that.

On topic, I first used to make up articles about philosophical stuff I'd made up. (They got deleted.) Then I used to correct stuff that was wrong in articles I happened to read. mostly comic book and movie articles. Now I mostly edit talk pages like once every two months.
Last edited by Invisible Queen on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:36 am UTC

I usually just make small spelling and grammar corrections. And on the odd occassion, change a link to point to the intended page instead of a disambiguation page.

Return to “General”