It has Endginned. (Mod Madness 2016)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: It Begends. (Mod Madness 2016)

Postby Flumble » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:32 pm UTC

It "unbugs" when you view this topic in the right/all forums, or at the very least when you mark all forums read.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:07 pm UTC

MODMADNESS
MB, RK TBCR CR WBY M OUJDB KE LNKLHN RUAANJHY HNET TBN EKQUIR.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

Global announcements have always done that. The forum software seems to pretty randomly assign a forum for the thread to be in, and determines the last "read" post from that rather than from anything reasonable, like the actual last post you viewed.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:56 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Global announcements have always done that. The forum software seems to pretty randomly assign a forum for the thread to be in, and determines the last "read" post from that rather than from anything reasonable, like the actual last post you viewed.

I (newbie as I am, at least as far as having registered rather than anonymously lurking like I used to) discovered this, and first assumed that if I kept visiting it from the same place (choosing the Individual XKCD Comic Threads location) it would at least be consistent between visits. But it decided my Last Unread just now was at the top of page three (Flumble's 'It "unbugs" when...' post, for the benefit of those with differently-configured page-lengths), rather than where it should have been on Page 2 (the first post I had actually not yet read was, ironically, the "anyone noticing some weird issues" one, that sparked this diversion).

I've never noticed this sort of thing happen in other phpBB-based forums of my acquaintance (although I will now check to see if I've just missed this, or perhaps that they just aren't 'globalising' anything in the same manner...), but I'm now tempted to look into any available code (assuming it hasn't been overly customised for XKCD forums) to work out how/why it is doing this...

(But I probably won't. Or, rather, I'll end up distracted with some other obscure element of 'ooh shiny!' and never get to the stage of actually suggesting a fix for those-who-could-possibly-fix-it to "um.." and "ah.." over in deciding whether or not I've given them a patch both correct and non-malicious in nature... So, even if it takes me and everyone else a few moments each time to scroll back and forth with a 'last true datestamp seen' in mind, that'd probably still be a net saving on time... ;) )

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:56 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Four Madnesses are older than your forum account, so I feel like you haven't earned the "old man yells at cloud" connotation "curmudgeonly" usually has.

I'd have hated those too, if I'd known about them. Some of us are born curmudeonly. It's convenient, really. That way, you NEVER have to change.

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:38 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Four Madnesses are older than your forum account, so I feel like you haven't earned the "old man yells at cloud" connotation "curmudgeonly" usually has.

I'd have hated those too, if I'd known about them. Some of us are born curmudeonly. It's convenient, really. That way, you NEVER have to change.

I always thought to be properly curmudgeonly one just needs a rocking chair, a porch to have the rocking chair on, a lawn to complain about those damn kids getting on it, and a cane to chase those damn kids off with. Damn Kids are provided freely by society.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:41 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

I always thought to be properly curmudgeonly one just needs a rocking chair, a porch to have the rocking chair on, a lawn to complain about those damn kids getting on it, and a cane to chase those damn kids off with. Damn Kids are provided freely by society.

much like field of dreams, if you sit on a porch with the aforward mentioned items, they will come. The kids will magically appear, and find your lawn.

And it will annoy you.

Damn Kids.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:48 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:I always thought to be properly curmudgeonly one just needs a rocking chair, a porch to have the rocking chair on, a lawn to complain about those damn kids getting on it, and a cane to chase those damn kids off with. Damn Kids are provided freely by society.

You young whippersnappers and your pre-damned children. Back in my day we had to damn the children ourselves!
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

During Madness I'm always a bit wary on which accounts are an unfortunate combination of joining right at that time and showing noobishness, and which accounts are bait by the moderation pack.

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Dauric wrote:I always thought to be properly curmudgeonly one just needs a rocking chair, a porch to have the rocking chair on, a lawn to complain about those damn kids getting on it, and a cane to chase those damn kids off with. Damn Kids are provided freely by society.

You young whippersnappers and your pre-damned children. Back in my day we had to damn the children ourselves!

Heheheheheheheh, "back in my day"...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:03 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:During Madness I'm always a bit wary on which accounts are an unfortunate combination of joining right at that time and showing noobishness, and which accounts are bait by the moderation pack.
That's not a thing we've covertly done as part of Madness before, but thanks for the suggestion.

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Back in your day... before the concept of Original Sin?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Dauric
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Postby Dauric » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:27 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Well, there was the Original Sin flavor children, but a concern for the level of damnation in children and it's pestilent effects in consumers gave rise to Jesus brand Saved Children (with Aspartame), though recent studies about the health effects of damnation substitutes have opened up a market for so-called "Heritage Damned Kids" with a return to pure cane damnation.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

I've worked really hard to make my sins original and now you're telling me some of y'all are just born with it?
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:41 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Flumble wrote:During Madness I'm always a bit wary on which accounts are an unfortunate combination of joining right at that time and showing noobishness, and which accounts are bait by the moderation pack.
That's not a thing we've covertly done as part of Madness before, but thanks for the suggestion.

Neil_Boekend wrote:

Yep. Before Adam and Eve.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:06 pm UTC

Adam and Samus
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

Link

Postby Link » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Adam and Samus

Snake: "Psst, how about a nice juicy apple?"
Samus: "How about no?" *Ice beam + missile*

Banjulhu

Postby Banjulhu » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:00 pm UTC

Posting with puppet accounts? Surely our glorious mods would never even consider such a thing!

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:19 pm UTC

Link wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEisLcFEl4
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:38 pm UTC

Banjulhu wrote:

Posting with puppet accounts? Surely our glorious mods would never even consider such a thing!

That's more Cheese's shtick.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Dauric

Postby Dauric » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:02 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:
Link wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulEisLcFEl4

And lo, the cardboard box did not hideth the snake, and many points of damage were dealt, and the character design in sequels was forced to wear an eyepatch and sprout a ridiculous beard to hide his shame. So sayeth the Book of Consoles, Chapter M, Versus 1 and 2. Amen

username5243

Postby username5243 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:59 am UTC

Oh please... at least it doesn't seem to have started yet.

I remember last year when I came on as a guest and the entire board looked something like this:

"kkk kkk kkkk k k kk kkkk kk"

Seriously, mods?
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:02 am UTC

username5243 wrote:Oh please... at least it doesn't seem to have started yet.

I remember last year when I came on as a guest and the entire board looked something like this:

Seriously, mods?

Relax. It's not very long and most people get loads of cheap laughs out of it. If you really hate it you can always apply for the usergroup "sticks in the mud". Then you won't have to see it (assuming you're logged on).

he/him/his

username5243

Postby username5243 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:11 am UTC

I don't hate it, per se. I just think that making the whole board so no one can even attempt to see what people are saying is a bit too much. But then again, the mods need a break from approving hundreds of new-account messages and clearing spam every day, don't they?
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

Link

Postby Link » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:16 am UTC

:lol:

--

RSIR:
Spoiler:
madness-begins.png
...HODOR?
madness-begins.png (22.76 KiB) Viewed 8564 times

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:21 am UTC

username5243 wrote:I don't hate it, per se. I just think that making the whole board so no one can even attempt to see what people are saying is a bit too much. But then again, the mods need a break from approving hundreds of new-account messages and clearing spam every day, don't they?

I have rather enjoyed it myself the previous times. Hence my pending application to the usergroup FF00BF BFFs (that has been repurposed for additional Mod Madnes punchingbags).

he/him/his

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:37 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
username5243 wrote:I don't hate it, per se. I just think that making the whole board so no one can even attempt to see what people are saying is a bit too much. But then again, the mods need a break from approving hundreds of new-account messages and clearing spam every day, don't they?

I have rather enjoyed it myself the previous times. Hence my pending application to the usergroup FF00BF BFFs (that has been repurposed for additional Mod Madnes punchingbags).

Good idea; I shall apply to join that group now.

Being in the magenta club was very fun last Madness.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:14 am UTC

When we do the mass filter, it tends to only be for a minute or two anyways.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:23 am UTC

Couldn't there be the theoretical edge case where a mod sets the whole board filter to while almost passing out from alcohol and then passing out before they reset it?

he/him/his

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:28 am UTC

The Ballmer Peak as applied to Madness. I like it.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

PsiCubed

Postby PsiCubed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

Seriously, mods?

I don't like it either.

I know that some people enjoy it, and that's great. But for the life of me, I don't understand why the forums have to be rendered unusable for those people to have their fun.

Of-course I know better than to try and change anything about this. Rule #1 of XKCD forums: You never ever enter an argument with the mods.

So when this "madness" arrives, I'm simply going to get the **** out of here until it is over.

bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster

Postby bentheimmigrant » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:30 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:

See, you've got it backwards. We're the curmudgeounly old people getting mad at you young'uns who don't understand that this is how it's always been.

You're the whiny kid who doesn't realise what they've got.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:02 pm UTC

There are two ways to survive the Madness: leave, or embrace it.

Last year I got drafted into the FF00BF BFFs. I think I'll join deliberately this time.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:46 pm UTC

PsiCubed wrote:

Seriously, mods?

I don't like it either.

I know that some people enjoy it, and that's great. But for the life of me, I don't understand why the forums have to be rendered unusable for those people to have their fun.

Compares it to spawning cabbages in Skyrim.

50 Cabbages: Is that it?
250 Cabbages: Covered the nearby ground.
500 Cabbages: Gained depth.
1000 Cabbages: Lost a few underneath the world.
1250 Cabbages: Lagged a little. …How many will it take to crash the game?
1500 Cabbages: Not yet.
1750 Cabbages: Still running.
2000 Cabbages: Handles this, but not regular play.
2250 Cabbages: What would happen if bandits attacked?
2250 Cabbages + 3 Bandits: Blocked an arrow with cabbage.
2500 Cabbages + 3 Bandits: Radiates cabbage at you.
2750 Cabbages + 3 Bandits: Aw. Crashed.

Somewhat relevant.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:55 pm UTC

PsiCubed wrote:

Seriously, mods?

I don't like it either.

Of-course I know better than to try and change anything about this. Rule #1 of XKCD forums: You never ever enter an argument with the mods.

So when this "madness" arrives, I'm simply going to get the **** out of here until it is over.

It's never been rendered unusable except for a few seconds at a time when someone uses a wildcard in a wordfilter.
---

(he/him/his)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:00 pm UTC

*briefly glances at SecondTalon*
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:02 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:*briefly glances at SecondTalon*

SecondTalon's name is no longer filtered to SexyTalon? :shock: When did that happen?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:04 pm UTC

2014's Madness.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

Nothing has quite been the same ever since.

PsiCubed

Postby PsiCubed » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:11 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
PsiCubed wrote:

Seriously, mods?

I don't like it either.

It's never been rendered unusable except for a few seconds at a time when someone uses a wildcard in a wordfilter.

Actually, I've never witnessed that in real time before. Not surprising, since I understand that this only happens for a few minutes at a time.

I was referring to the general "madness" thing. It tends to make the forums much more difficult of read, and personally I don't find this very "fun".

But I understand that:
(1) That's the way things go here.
(2) The majority seems to actually like this diversion.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

Oh sure, it makes some things more difficult. My point was that it's almost never *unusable*.
---

(he/him/his)

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

Deva wrote:2014's Madness.

...That's two years ago.

And I never noticed it until now.

:oops:

Return to “General”