XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:43 am UTC


Moved to General by Zamfir


So yeah, at the bottom of the board there is a sub forum, Free as in Destitute. Its not really a secret per say, I suppose. It is opt in but unless you do, there is no indication of what goes on in there, if anything at all.

Basically it consists of a large number of forumites, talking shit and being insulting about people who post here, when they have different opinions usually. But basically its okay because everyone can opt in? But unless you know about it, you can't. Having been a regular here for about 9 years I never knew this place existed. And is why I am making this thread. If its supposed to be a secret, be secretive. If its not, then be open about it. But this is super fucking weird.

Feeling more than a little abused about all of this.
Last edited by BattleMoose on Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:08 am UTC

It was started to give people who complained about the mods a place to not have mods. The opt in is because if it's opened, then spam will take over, and since that would require moderation...

It has been linked to and talked about in the wider fora a few times. The only measure that makes it secret is that it's at the bottom of the forum, which was where davean put it when he made it.

By all means come in and see what may have been said about you. The thread is called "Enjoy the Show".
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

User avatar
Mauthe Dhoo
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:24 am UTC

Free as in Destitute the subforum was made to give people who complained about the mods a place to not have mods. Enjoy the Show the thread was made to laugh at complain about the rest of the forum, or at least that's how it's used today. Many of the regular posters on that thread are mods.

Edited phrasing

User avatar
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...
Posts: 6279
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:15 pm UTC
Location: Beyond the goblin city
Contact:

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Moo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:54 am UTC

BattleMoose wrote:So yeah, at the bottom of the board there is a sub forum, Free as in Destitute. Its not really a secret per say, I suppose. It is opt in but unless you do, there is no indication of what goes on in there, if anything at all.

Basically it consists of a large number of forumites, talking shit and being insulting about people who post here, when they have different opinions usually. But basically its okay because everyone can opt in? But unless you know about it, you can't. Having been a regular here for about 9 years I never knew this place existed. And is why I am making this thread. If its supposed to be a secret, be secretive. If its not, then be open about it. But this is super fucking weird.

Feeling more than a little abused about all of this.
FaiD exists, and has problems, and I can understand why you'd be upset right now, and agree with most of the reason why. But since this is in the public domain and being viewed by people unaware of the current context of this thread's reason for existing, I need to say for the record this is a gross oversimplification and mischaracterization of an entire community. The conversation you're referencing is ONE thread in thousands, most of which are completely benign and about shit like cats or Adult Swim segments.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:01 pm UTC

Moo wrote:The conversation you're referencing is ONE thread in thousands, most of which are completely benign and about shit like cats or Adult Swim segments.


That thread has nearly 2000 pages. Don't try and downplay what this is. Hopefully people will go and see what FAID is all about, that's the entire point of this post.

I am just so appalled, largely came here to talk about interesting and contentious stuff in "good faith", honest and open communication. And that has just been so abused.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:34 pm UTC

And you'll find that a good number of those pages are either off topic or arguments that migrated from the original thread to that one because it's not actually about being secret - people get called out and can and have responded.

It is unmoderated, so there is no stopping what develops. If you think that's representative of all of xkcd, fine. But it's by nature a self selecting group of people who are free to post what they like. And that has included things like "hey, look at this person arguing with davean. That's hilarious." Or, "wow, this BNP sympathiser is genuinely racist", or even "hey gmal, you're really a jerk to people you argue with."
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:37 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:because it's not actually about being secret


Well I must be a complete moron, because I have been here 9 years and never knew it ever existed. For a place that isn't trying to be secretive, its doing a damn good job at it.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3215
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:40 pm UTC

How interested have you been in the Forums besides N&A? Have you never been curious about that weird subforum at the bottom with instructions on how to gain access next to it?
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:45 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:
bentheimmigrant wrote:because it's not actually about being secret


Well I must be a complete moron, because I have been here 9 years and never knew it ever existed. For a place that isn't trying to be secretive, its doing a damn good job at it.

Look, you started this thread in N&A. Hardly indicative of someone who peruses the whole fora.

It's not secret. In fact, during the last mod madness, the Time thread was specifically invited to take over FaiD.

But as I said, it's out of the way because that seems to simply be where davean put FaiD. Probably because he thought it would just collapse into kittens and memes (well, more than it has) and fizzle out. Feel free to put a formal request in that it becomes more prominent, but none of the active FaiD users have any power in these matters.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:46 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:How interested have you been in the Forums besides N&A? Have you never been curious about that weird subforum at the bottom with instructions on how to gain access next to it?


At nearly 2000 posts I would say pretty fucking interested. I mostly stuck to N&A and serious business because that's the stuff that interests me.

I honestly never wondered about it. Its got some nonsense title with some nonsense description and on the face of it I just dismissed it as nonsense, because that's what it sounds like. I couldn't access it so, not going to invest my time to try and access a place that sounds like nonsensical nonsense.

Its not even advertised as an unmoderated space.

EDIT: I don't peruse the whole fora and that's okay!

Feel free to put a formal request in that it becomes more prominent, but none of the active FaiD users have any power in these matters.


Collectively as a community, there has been displayed there a set of values that I find repugnant. I want nothing to do this community. It appears I cannot deactivate my account and have requested that it be deactivated. If anyone who can do that, please deactivate my account.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3215
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:How interested have you been in the Forums besides N&A? Have you never been curious about that weird subforum at the bottom with instructions on how to gain access next to it?


At nearly 2000 posts I would say pretty fucking interested. I mostly stuck to N&A and serious business because that's the stuff that interests me.

I honestly never wondered about it. Its got some nonsense title with some nonsense description and on the face of it I just dismissed it as nonsense, because that's what it sounds like. I couldn't access it so, not going to invest my time to try and access a place that sounds like nonsensical nonsense.

I see. I was merely curious.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7216
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Zohar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:59 pm UTC

First, this is neither news, nor an article, and it makes much more sense to put it in general.

Second, I'm still not sure why you're surprised people are talking about conversations. And don't say "behind your back" because this isn't behind anyone's back, and none of the conversations can be edited anyway. I spend a lot of time on the forum, and often I want to comment on things that people discuss here - I'm sure everyone has had the same urge. Instead of providing context to my husband and explaining the entire history of the thread and the people involved, it's quite a bit easier to vent in a different thread. That's... basically all this thread is. Anything else that you're unhappy about is because you didn't read the not-so-tiny letters at the bottom of the page.

Edit:
BattleMoose wrote:I honestly never wondered about it. Its got some nonsense title with some nonsense description and on the face of it I just dismissed it as nonsense, because that's what it sounds like. I couldn't access it so, not going to invest my time to try and access a place that sounds like nonsensical nonsense.

Wait, so if EtS was a thread not in FaiD, but in General, that would make everything OK? Even though you never go to General, as you yourself stated just a couple minutes ago? So your only complaint is not being informed ahead of time about every single thread that anyone posted in the forum ever?
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:And don't say "behind your back" because this isn't behind anyone's back, and none of the conversations can be edited anyway.


That's kinda the point, its not behind my back. If you want to talk shit behind my back, then do that! Either say shit behind my back, and keep it there or say it to my face. This is a weird space of being neither, where it builds and builds and builds until eventually accessed. Its messed up.

Wait, so if EtS was a thread not in FaiD, but in General, that would make everything OK?


It would be honest.

Even though you never go to General, as you yourself stated just a couple minutes ago? So your only complaint is not being informed ahead of time about every single thread that anyone posted in the forum ever?


I have been to every sub forum here over the years, I am aware of what goes on in them, except this particular one...

EDIT:
It seems everyone knew about this space except me. I feel so fucking deceived.
Last edited by BattleMoose on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby keozen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:08 pm UTC

FaiD is also the place I met my one of my best friends in the entire world (Moo) and my wife (Crowey). Where I felt sheltered enough to chat through hard times with friends because that extra level of "away from public view" gave me the confidence and the strength to carry on. A place where the discussions happened that started me into the world of comics that has resulted in me publishing several books over the last 7 years and meeting literally thousands of people who've read my stuff as a result.

FaiD isn't that single thread just like your home town isn't that street you don't particularly want to go down.
Image

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 1756
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Panama

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Weeks » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:15 pm UTC

<3 keo
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
rath358 wrote:manually adding a long list of swear words to my dictionary worked.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:That's kinda the point, its not behind my back. If you want to talk shit behind my back, then do that! Either say shit behind my back, and keep it there or say it to my face. This is a weird space of being neither, where it builds and builds and builds until eventually accessed. Its messed up.


Why? We're not afraid to face up to what we say. We can't edit our posts in FaiD, so we can't even hide things.

I linked to one of your posts, once.
viewtopic.php?p=3824215#p3824215
You were being really condescending and explaining irrelevant things to me like I'd never heard of money before. I told you as much in the thread, too. But I couldn't make a specific post about that in the thread because that would have been off topic.

Edit: In case people don't want to join FaiD:
bentheimmigrant wrote:Is it still mansplaining when you're needlessly explaining something, but not to a woman? Either way, I tire of BattleMoose dropping basic economic knowledge like he's a professor at Wharton.


Edit 2: Edit harder
FaiD is explicitly pointed out in the forum guide for newbies. This also links to a site/forum issues thread explaining what FaiD is. It is not secret.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1777
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Flumble » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:45 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:EDIT:
It seems everyone knew about this space except me. I feel so fucking deceived.

Perhaps. I've known about it for a few years now (and known that it's not a mod-only board for a year) but I have and will always decide against joining "muh seekrit klub".
As far as I'm aware there's no harsh moderation on these forīs, so FaiD can only mean it's full of demons and kittens —the demons making me angry I go there and the kittens making it a huge timesink*.

Don't feel deceived that FaiD hasn't caught your attention until now, feel deceived that you went in there naively.


*whereas the rest of the fora are just a large timesink.


[edit]
bentheimmigrant wrote:Edit 2: Edit harder
FaiD is explicitly pointed out in the forum guide for newbies. This also links to a site/forum issues thread explaining what FaiD is. It is not secret.

Reading the forum guide is like reading a manual. No one ever reads the manual.

User avatar
bentheimmigrant
Dotcor Good Poster
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby bentheimmigrant » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:51 pm UTC

Indeed they don't, but I don't know what else people expect to make it less secret. I went in there because I was curious. I stayed because if I don't post at least weekly that obscure clause in the blood oath kicks in.
"Comment is free, but facts are sacred" - C.P. Scott

User avatar
Echo244
Posts: 511
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 am UTC
Location: Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Reading the forum guide is like reading a manual. No one ever reads the manual.


I read manuals before using things. And terms and conditions...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

User avatar
AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:26 am UTC
Location: The Northpole

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:02 pm UTC

I'm trying to remember how I found FaiD. I don't actually remember. I want to say I got in cause someone on irc explained it to me, but I couldn't have been on the irc-channels that mentions FaiD without actually being a member of FaiD already. So how the fuck did I get in?

Must be some kind of dark magic of some sorts. Fuck, I knew I shouldn't have traded away my soul.

OH WAIT! I was probably hanging out on the xkcd-mafia channel and then someone there explained it to me. That would make sense.

I should hang out on irc more.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7216
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Zohar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:03 pm UTC

I read the newbie manual when I came in, mostly because I want to see what I get into. Granted, I joined before FaiD but, meh?

The thing about FaiD is less that there's no moderation and more about personal accountability and people feeling a lot freer to call you on shit you do. Paradoxically perhaps, this created a community of people who are generally open and communicative with one-another.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Carlington » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

I started out trying to respond to Mauthe Dhoo in EtS, but then it wasn't a response anymore so I didn't post it there. It started feeling really cathartic to write this post, and I want for people to read this and to understand that I'm expressing real emotion, which is difficult. I didn't know where to post it really, so I stuck it here.

--------------------------------

I have taken some breaths and quelled some reactions. I am going to try again. This exchange, for whatever reason, has upset me quite intensely.

I went away, like you said, because that's what I'm supposed to do if I don't want to engage with somebody. But since I didn't have a space to vent, and people to support me, I ended up retreating into my own thoughts. Lost in my own thoughts is not a good place for me to be. So I came back to try to respond and maybe feel that I have closure on this and have said what I can say.

Normally, when something on the forums upsets me, I feel like I can come to this thread, post a link to it, and say "Wow, there are upsetting things being said". I feel like other people might agree with me that those things are upsetting, and that I am not alone in feeling upset by these things. This is important to me, because I have difficulty with the idea that I am allowed to outwardly express emotions and opinions, and I struggle with genuine self-expression for fear of being judged negatively by my peers. This is not universal, but it's something.

This thread, and this sub-community, are also important to me because they provide me with a space where I feel safe enough to experiment with social interactions and with my personality without needing to fear, for a personal example, retribution for not fitting a heteronormative world-view.

But I also know that I can't edit my posts, and that means there are lasting consequences that I can't edit away or delete and hide from. I know that I can be and will be challenged if I say something disagreeable here, and I do my best to take something away any time that happens. And it has happened - there have been interactions that I have taken part in and just observed on the forums at large but in FaiD in particular that have made me seriously go and reflect and figure out why I am the way I am and whether I want to be that way. It's no understatement to say that some of the people I have interacted with in FaiD have taught me the social skills that I have and have made me the person I now am - whoever that person is (and I say that seriously, I'm not sure sometimes).

Thank you all for being here, and for being people I consider friends. I hope that some of you consider me the same.


--------------------------------

That got rambly as it went. The first paragraphs I was trying very hard to be controlled and clear in what I was saying. In the last paragraph that broke.

BattleMoose, I'm genuinely very sorry that all of this has happened. I can only imagine you feel like the floor has been pulled out from under you. I can only offer that I don't think FaiD really is as awful as it might seem right now. I can't make you agree with that, but I want to ask you to make a good faith effort to see the good and not just the bad. Don't mistake my meaning - there's bad to be found in FaiD too.

I want to conclude this post in some way but I don't think I can make any more words happen now for a while.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 25395
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:46 pm UTC

Yes, EtS is 1800 pages long.

But about 1000 of those pages are us arguing with each other about views in the linked threads or about out own conduct on the forums, and another 700 are off-topic nonsense.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18636
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:05 pm UTC

I'm not a fan of internet bullying, and I understand the power of words.

This is not an example of internet bullying, and given the content of EtS, I think it's not a big deal at all. If you don't like public scrutiny of what you write in a public space, don't write things in a public space.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:16 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not a fan of internet bullying, and I understand the power of words.

This is not an example of internet bullying, and given the content of EtS, I think it's not a big deal at all. If you don't like public scrutiny of what you write in a public space, don't write things in a public space.


Public scrutiny? Only for extremely liberal interpretations of public. And what exactly is the purpose of scrutiny if the person being scrutinized doesn't know about it? At least everyone else has been honest about it being a venting space.

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7216
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Zohar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:19 pm UTC

I disagree with you on that point - there's a 90+ page thread about the presidential election that I doubt Clinton or Trump will ever read, and it scrutinizes them quite a bit...
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5141
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Somerville, MA
Contact:

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby doogly » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

plot twist: leady was trump.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18636
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:35 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:Public scrutiny? Only for extremely liberal interpretations of public. And what exactly is the purpose of scrutiny if the person being scrutinized doesn't know about it? At least everyone else has been honest about it being a venting space.
Sure, it's in many ways a venting space. That's not a bad thing.

But are you upset because a singular forum on the internet, a forum which mind you has no external links from the webcomic it is associated with, has a portion of which that is obfuscated to the point of requiring the user to scroll to the bottom of the page to find, and in this space people have commented about other ongoings in the forum at large?

Honestly, I think you're being unreasonable here.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Drumheller769
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 7:46 pm UTC
Location: ♞♞♞

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Drumheller769 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:04 pm UTC

My interpretation, it feels like everyone in that thread is the circle of kids across the hall in highschool snickering at you as you walk by. Nobody likes that. *fills all yall's lockers with rice*
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
BattleMoose wrote:Public scrutiny? Only for extremely liberal interpretations of public. And what exactly is the purpose of scrutiny if the person being scrutinized doesn't know about it? At least everyone else has been honest about it being a venting space.
Sure, it's in many ways a venting space. That's not a bad thing.


It is when the people you have been venting about gain access to years worth of venting directed at them. I can honestly and categorically tell you, its a bad bad thing. There is a serious empathy failing here. Look, and the stuff said about me, wasn't that bad and often there was some truth to it.

But absolutely nothing in my life so far has equipped me to deal with such a concentration of vent. This was truly an awful awful experience.

User avatar
keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman
Posts: 1497
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC
Location: Yorkshire, UK
Contact:

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby keozen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:10 pm UTC

I understand that discovering something like ETS exists on a forum you have been posting on for years exists and then looking at all the times you are mentioned over such a long period must be.... not fun.

I don't think anyone would really say that they don't have any sympathy for the shitty feeling that that must cause if you find yourself in that situation. Seeing yourself mentioned when it happens is one thing but a lot at once must bring an unwelcome feeling.

However there's no malice in the thread beyond venting. No one tried to hide anything (FaiD is after all in the Newbies Info for the entire fora).

FaiD as a whole is a wonderful sub-community within the fora community as a whole and I beg you not to tarnish the entire place with the brush of your current I'll feeling because there are some genuinely amazing people there (and some nobs too, it is after all the internet ;) ) even if that's hard when this is so raw.
Image

User avatar
Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.
Posts: 1902
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Deva » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:16 pm UTC

Pat pat.

Avoids Free as in Destitute for similar reasons. Read descriptions. Experiences enough fora anger from annual Rant Thread flare-ups and political threads. Never wanted more, especially with a personal twist. (Struggles enough with that as is.) Appreciates people containing those thoughts elsewhere. Dissipates that irritation, hopefully.

Cares very little for shiny, shiny penny quote pyramids and threads like Double Post, also.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

User avatar
Izawwlgood
WINNING
Posts: 18636
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm UTC
Location: There may be lovelier lovelies...

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

Drumheller769 wrote:My interpretation, it feels like everyone in that thread is the circle of kids across the hall in highschool snickering at you as you walk by. Nobody likes that. *fills all yall's lockers with rice*
Maybe, but I think, as someone who has also been mocked at times, that generally the mocking is because someone is going significantly against the 'community spirit'. xkcd, like any community, develops trends/patterns/habits, and stuff that runs counter to it simply won't be welcome. That's not a bad thing, nor is it something you should really be upset about.

BattleMoose wrote:It is when the people you have been venting about gain access to years worth of venting directed at them. I can honestly and categorically tell you, its a bad bad thing. There is a serious empathy failing here. Look, and the stuff said about me, wasn't that bad and often there was some truth to it.

But absolutely nothing in my life so far has equipped me to deal with such a concentration of vent. This was truly an awful awful experience.
Look, I'm sympathetic to the fact that you felt bad. Again, I understand the power of communities and feelings of bullying or ostracization. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I do think you're over reacting, painting too broad a brush on the entire FaiD scene, and taking this too personally.

You aren't being singled out, you aren't being harassed. You said some stuff that people in a community disagreed with, and they joked about it with one another. That happens, almost everywhere. If you've ever mocked anyone on the internet, you've done exactly what you're upset about, except EtS is a way to prevent cluttering existing threads with things like "Ugh you racist piece of shit fuck off!" or "Wow, this is so stupid it's fractal wrong".
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

User avatar
flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?
Posts: 537
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Cares very little for shiny, shiny penny quote pyramids and threads like Double Post, also.

Hey, leave Forum Games out of this! We're a neutral party! :P
Discord for Forum Games posters (people from other parts of the forum are allowed too :P )
---
adopted by emlightened

BattleMoose
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby BattleMoose » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I do think you're over reacting, painting too broad a brush on the entire FaiD scene, and taking this too personally.


And I think you are being an utter complete jerk, feigning sympathy. If you don't get it by this point, I just don't think you will. You are going on like this is some normal human interaction and its just not. This is not an okay way to be interacting with other humans. I have never encountered anything like this ever before. I hazard no one in any of my social circles has ever encountered anything as extraordinarily bizarre as what I have just done. But you keep telling me how I am overreacting.

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4299
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby LaserGuy » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:42 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Edit 2: Edit harder
FaiD is explicitly pointed out in the forum guide for newbies. This also links to a site/forum issues thread explaining what FaiD is. It is not secret.


I'll go on record as being someone who has been on these forums since *checks* 2009, and has never heard of this before.

For interest, I went and dug up the newbie guide. The description of FaiD is not exactly transparent, especially considering it's only listed as the acronym, not the actual forum name. Here's where it is:
Spoiler:
newbie guide wrote:Here is a work in progress of threads that come up fairly frequently. Please read through this list and see if it is represented.

Comic:
XKCD or XKCD related stuff that you see around the place
Other Webcomics you read
Remixing XKCD/Making XKCD (slightly) Worse

You:
Introduce Yourself
Discuss your Username
Discuss your Signature
Show us your Face
Show the rest of you (Love, Sex & Relationships Thread. This is your warning)
Strange Things About Your body
Strange Things About The Rest of You
Your Voice
Your Handwriting
Your Education Level
Your Age
Your BirthdateNew Feature - Add your birthday to your profile to be highlighted on the front page!
Discuss your tattoos
And any other body modifications
How fucked up your sleep is
Where are you From?
My Town/State/Province/Country is cool

Epic threads of epicness:
Girls (Lady Issues)
Boys (Gentleman Issues)
Confessional Thread
Rant Thread
Random Interweb Games
Today I Learned
Random things that don't really need their own thread - This actually applies to 90% of the crap posted in General. It really doesn't need it's own thread. Want to show us something cool? Want to make a quick joke? Do it here.

Other popular subjects:
Raptors/Zombies
Food/Cooking/Recipes
Something good that happened
Something bad that happened
Something weird that happened
Everyone hates working Retail
Computer Desktop Wallpaper
Annoying Misconceptions Thread
Science Misconceptions
Talk about Commercials and other Advertisements
Rickrolling
Facebook XKCD group

Common Questions
Can I Have a Custom Title? (No)
What is this FaiD Thing?


Games and movies and things

Picture Pwnage!
and post your youtube things here

Hall of Fame

These are the types of conversation we hold up as great examples of what life in xkcdia should be like:

Electric eels and rolling potatoes
Raptors in real life
Harmonics of soup

Hall of Shame

Things that have been discussed and do not need to be discussed again... every possible explanation/answer has been written, so if you are wondering about any of these things, read the whole thread and then Never Speak Of It Again.

0.999... = 1
What is 0/0 equal to?
The aeroplane on a treadmill puzzle. There's a good writeup here for the answer.
Any variant on the Monty Hall / 3 Door problem. Again Wikipedia knows all.

Charities
Site Forums/Issues - The place to discuss anything and everything related to the running of the website and the forums. But not the store. Seriously, not the store. E-mail orders@xkcd.com for store-related questions and issues.
Yes I know it's visible on the main page, so why are you people posting this in General still?

Retired Threads:
Introduction Thread I
Intro Thread 2.0
Post Your Face V1.0


See it there, explicitly mentioned in that gigantic list of links, just below the link to Rickrolling? I don't think calling this secrecy by obfuscation is wholly out of line. Using this Members only area as a venue to launch personal attacks against people who aren't aware of its existence is pretty reprehensible.

I'm now torn between morbid curiosity and the worry that this will be a gigantic black hole of my time (more than these fora already are) if I take a peek.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25376
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:48 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:That thread has nearly 2000 pages. Don't try and downplay what this is. Hopefully people will go and see what FAID is all about, that's the entire point of this post,
1849 pages currently, so 1900 would be more accurate. It's also an eight year old thread. An eight year old shitposting thread.

For comparison, the random thread in general is nine years old and contains more on-topic posting.

This is not an okay way to be interacting with other humans. I have never encountered anything like this ever before. I hazard no one in any of my social circles has ever encountered anything as extraordinarily bizarre as what I have just done. But you keep telling me how I am overreacting.
So, for the record...

You have never, not once, when Friend A was around, said to Friend B and C "What is up with Friend A [saying a thing|doing a thing]?" Not once? Because that's far more bizarre and unusual.

But yes, please, join FaiD. It's a neat place.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
PeteP
What the peck?
Posts: 1451
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby PeteP » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:50 pm UTC

Is it just me that looks through the sub list when visiting a new forum to see what categories there are?

LaserGuy the rate of new content is on average low enough that that shouldn't happen. (It becoming a gigantic blackhole for your time.)

User avatar
Zohar
COMMANDER PORN
Posts: 7216
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC
Location: NY

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Zohar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 pm UTC

What? FaiD is a "members only" area? I mean, sure, I guess, just as much as posting in the entire forums is members only. Again, I'm not so clear what people expect - a giant flashing notice at the top of the forum that says "Notice: People may discuss stuff about you in areas of the forum you don't normally go to" ? Do you think there's some of conspiracy to how FaiD was created and introduced in the forum? What would be the reasoning for something like that? Like, this doesn't make sense.

There are several issues here.
People aren't aware of stuff going on in other sections of the forum - well, that's hardly anyone's fault, is it? I don't go looking in every single forum, and sometimes I miss discussions I would like to take part in. Nothing about FaiD is hidden, and it's literally open for everyone.
The fact that people have been talking about other people's discussions is still... like, really unclear to me. Are we supposed to lock all discussions to the original threads they started in? What about on-topic policies in N&A and SB? That's not a reasonable expectation.

I get that people might feel hurt by this, definitely surprised. Maybe even betrayed? I dunno. But I don't think anything inherently mean or dishonest has been happening. Like, if some of my friends meet without me, I wouldn't be surprised if they discuss stuff about me as well, without necessarily reporting back immediately that "yo we talked about you". Is that also not OK? Like, this is such common, expected, and human behavior... So be upset, be angry, whatever. But also go to sleep tonight and check how you feel about this tomorrow.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

Chen
Posts: 5069
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby Chen » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:54 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:And I think you are being an utter complete jerk, feigning sympathy. If you don't get it by this point, I just don't think you will. You are going on like this is some normal human interaction and its just not. This is not an okay way to be interacting with other humans. I have never encountered anything like this ever before. I hazard no one in any of my social circles has ever encountered anything as extraordinarily bizarre as what I have just done. But you keep telling me how I am overreacting.


Well you presumably found a bunch of posts of yours that people were venting about. I mean what's so bizarre about that? Presumably the people in question knew you could get access to them (if you didn't already have access to them) and they were posted anyways. It would be like talking loudly about someone without caring if they overheard or not. This isn't alien behavior. It's human behavior. People complain about others all the time, for whatever reason. Sometimes those complaints get back to the person, sometimes they do not. Not terribly much inherently different here except that it's being stored (as is the native of an online forum).


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests