XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Re: XKCD, where they talk shit about you in a secret subforum

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:03 pm UTC

I enjoy EtS quite a bit. Strangely enough for a unmoderated forum it feels more like a safe-space than most of the safe-space threads. Cause people will call me out on my bullshit there, so you know, if I don't get called out that means I'm doing pretty well.

And to get personal, I spent a lot of my childhood being properly shit-talked and treated like pond-scum in a very mean-spirited way, just enough behind my back that I could never respond to it, but never so much that I didn't hear it. So it feels really good to know there's a place on these forums I can go check what issues people might have with me and actually engage them in discussion on those things. It helps my both my confidence and my social anxiety regarding interacting with people on these forums.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:40 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:It is a bit different from other parts of the forums, because if you're not a member then you won't see search results there and you won't get notifications I people quote you there.
It's also not indexed by search engines, which is my general definition for "public" on the internet.

Mauthe Dhoo

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:22 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Mauthe Dhoo wrote:
Fractal_Tangent wrote:I have an issue with the fact that Mauthe Dhoo started this whole thing just with the intention of hurting Battlemoose.
That's a stretch.

Well, you've openly stated that you perceived EtS! to be terrible and that allows you to be terrible and part of that was insulting Battlemoose quite badly and then sending them a message telling them of what you did.

So you've taken it upon yourself to be terrible, insult Battlemoose and then make sure that they saw it.

Whether or not EtS! is a bad thing does not excuse you from doing a bad thing.

All of that is absolutely true.

Now, of course, between being terrible, insulting BattleMoose, and making sure they saw it, I perceive the first two as bad and the third as coming clean. But you've made clear you see it differently.

AngrySquirrel, those things may all be great but they only work if you know you're being talked about in that thread.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:20 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:It is a bit different from other parts of the forums, because if you're not a member then you won't see search results there and you won't get notifications I people quote you there.
It's also not indexed by search engines, which is my general definition for "public" on the internet.
Sure, but which parts of the forum are "public" in that sense has very little to do with how this community functions in itself, since this community is made up of people who are already registered forumites, and thus automatically able to see such non-indexed places as LSR and Dear SB.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Fractal_Tangent
Today is my Birthday!

Postby Fractal_Tangent » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:22 am UTC

Mauthe Dhoo wrote:
*Snip*

All of that is absolutely true.

Now, of course, between being terrible, insulting BattleMoose, and making sure they saw it, I perceive the first two as bad and the third as coming clean. But you've made clear you see it differently.

AngrySquirrel, those things may all be great but they only work if you know you're being talked about in that thread.

Your act of 'coming clean' was to message someone a whole bunch of hurtful things about them. Whether or not that absolved your conscience (you said that you always wanted them to see it), saying mean stuff about someone and making sure they see it is not a great thing.

You wanted Battlemoose to see your rant, so you ensured that they did, by messaging and making sure that they say it.

This has come from your desire to hurt Battlemoose.
eSOANEM wrote:
right now, that means it's Nazi punching time.

she/her/hers
=]

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:39 am UTC

So to summarize, you observed that discussing negative opinions of a person in private and them finding out about (nearly a decade worth of) it -- a rare but admittedly shitty consequence of human socialization -- can be quite hurtful, then proceeded to ensure that it happened. I'm no consequentialist, but that seems like a mistake.

... Basically, is your position here that it's ultimately better for someone to know about their private critics, or was EtS just so terrible that you felt obligated to let people know as a public service announcement? Or something completely different.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:25 am UTC

I'm trying to imagine a universe were I could possibly roll my eyes harder about any of this. I refuse to shed a single fucking tear over somebody upset that their shitty views were mocked.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:48 am UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:This has come from your desire to hurt Battlemoose.

I think it's more accurate to say it came from Mauthe Dhoo's desire to absolve Mauthe Dhoo's own conscience, and consequences to anyone else be damned.

(I'm not saying it would have been better for EtS to remain "secret", but the way it was revealed was certainly poorly thought out at best.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Mauthe Dhoo

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 am UTC

I did feel obliged to tell BattleMoose when I fucked up, yes. I don't magically feel better about it after doing that, of course.

There are a lot of other people with nearly a decade's worth of "negative opinions" in that thread. Some of it is conversation about the ethics of public discourse. Some of it is childish mockery.

Magnanimous, I thought it was ultimately better to let someone know about my criticism, since it wasn't intended to be private. I don't take responsibility for anything else anyone else's words in that thread, and if I wanted to do an exposé it wouldn't have been in the form of a PM to one person.

edited phrasing

Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby Kewangji » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:26 pm UTC

I feel like Battlemoose would have been way less hurt if Mauthe Dhoo had not framed the situation so hurtfully and melodramatically. I recognize the hurt is real though.

Feel the hurt and do what you must to feel okay again, Battlemoose. It'll pass and you'll gain some perspective. Perhaps y'all two will never trust anyone again, but most likely you will be angry for a while and then eventually find yourself doing something analogous to posting in Enjoy the Show, and you will feel like maybe it's not that bad. And then you will remember how people reacted to your hurt -- and the negative responses will overshadow the others, they always do -- and you will feel like it is bad again, but maybe slightly less bad. This will go on a while, if the experience stays with you.

We have inadverently hurt you. I won't apologize because I won't change so an apology would be a lie, but I recognize the hurt.
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations

The Great Hippo wrote:Nuclear bombs are like potato chips, you can't stop after just *one*

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:24 pm UTC

Mauthe Dhoo wrote:AngrySquirrel, those things may all be great but they only work if you know you're being talked about in that thread.

Wait so what's your point exactly?

That it's bad that people talk about other people?

Or it's bad that people talk about other people without informing them of it?
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:00 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Or it's bad that people talk about other people without informing them of it?

I don't think this is inherently bad, but it certainly can lead to poor social behaviors, specifically groupthink and othering (is that a word?). I don't disagree with Mauthe Dhoo that it's a problem, I just think it's several orders of magnitude below their reaction.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:05 pm UTC

I, for one, welcome our new in-group overlords.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:03 am UTC

I, personally, had no idea this discussion was happening and since nobody sent me a singing telegram to inform me that a thread I'm involved in was being discussed on a forum I hadn't bothered to look through in a bit, I'm calling shenanigans on this whole enterprise. None of you are free from sin.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:24 am UTC

Belial wrote:I, personally, had no idea this discussion was happening and since nobody sent me a singing telegram to inform me that a thread I'm involved in was being discussed on a forum I hadn't bothered to look through in a bit, I'm calling shenanigans on this whole enterprise. None of you are free from sin.

Bullshit. I sent a runner AND a carrier bird.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 am UTC

If I go down to the saloon and find a runner with pigeon breath, there will be firings
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:12 pm UTC

If that is the case, I authorize you to kill my messenger.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:33 pm UTC

I contend that I am by definition without sin, since the only real sin is not being me.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:21 pm UTC

Forgive me, TMT, for I have sinned. I haven't been you for over 35 years.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:38 pm UTC

BattleMoose wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I do think you're over reacting, painting too broad a brush on the entire FaiD scene, and taking this too personally.

And I think you are being an utter complete jerk, feigning sympathy. If you don't get it by this point, I just don't think you will. You are going on like this is some normal human interaction and its just not. This is not an okay way to be interacting with other humans. I have never encountered anything like this ever before. I hazard no one in any of my social circles has ever encountered anything as extraordinarily bizarre as what I have just done. But you keep telling me how I am overreacting.

It is kinda odd. I've noticed the link down there before, but never felt the impulse to check it out, assuming it was just random silliness. The subforum names were pretty much all I had to go on for that, but I'd assumed it was just random banter for some in group or whatever. It's slightly odd to think there's a meta-conversation possibly going on with regards to a conversation I may have been a part of, but I'm not feeling angry, more of just curious. I also did not expect that it would be a particularly active portion of the forums. It is a very curious model, I'd agree.

I think it's fair to describe it as kind of secret. It does require priv escalation, so, yeah, less public than the rest. That doesn't strike me as cause for outrage, though. Dunno why the different reaction. Ah, the PMed stuff mentioned later. Yeah, that would do it, I suppose. Do hope that doesn't permanently sour you on the forums in general, hopefully the value of the chats outweighs the bad.

Huh, 65 mentions. Well, this should be amusing, at least.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:41 am UTC

Wow, the drama on the xkcd boards has gotten weirder since I started lurking.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:32 pm UTC

So lurk less!
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:39 pm UTC

Everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked Aaeriele started lurking.

sam_i_am

Postby sam_i_am » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:52 pm UTC

I didn't know about this subforum either.

How do I opt in?

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:58 pm UTC

Just scroll down the Board Index page where you will (if logged in) see the Free As In Destitue forum down near the bottom. There is a comment that reads something like "To opt in, rub your belly and stick your tongue out", where whatever you're supposed to do is a link. Click the link.

I haven't joined, so I don't know where the link takes you or what you have to do after that. Rumor has it there's something about a hexagram and a chicken. However, as a public service, and at great risk to myself, I clicked the link.

It takes you to what appears to be a list of members of this group. But... hmmmm.... it is not clear how to request entry join. Maybe I did the wrong thing with that chicken. Desperate for enlightenment, and working on the assumption that it is a "group", I tried going to the control panel, and clicking on the usergroups tab. Lo and behold, there is a list of groups... and at the bottom, the Truly Free. I think that you can click the radio button on that group, make sure the dropdown at the bottom right says "join selected" and click the "submit" button. In the default layout, it's at the bottom right.

Then do that thing with the chicken.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:11 pm UTC

User Control Panel > Usergroups > Tic the box by The Truly Free, make sure Join Selected is in the dropdown, click Submit.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:18 pm UTC

You make it sound so simple! So what am I supposed to do with the chicken?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:12 pm UTC

Rub it on your belly of course.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

cphite

Postby cphite » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

ucim wrote:You make it sound so simple! So what am I supposed to do with the chicken?

Jose

Grill it over charcoal until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Turn every so often to prevent burning. Dry rubs go on before you start; sauces go on near the end.

doogly

Postby doogly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:22 pm UTC

cphite wrote:Dry rubs go on before you start; sauces go on near the end.

That's what she said!

sardia

Postby sardia » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:57 pm UTC

cphite wrote:
ucim wrote:You make it sound so simple! So what am I supposed to do with the chicken?

Jose

Grill it over charcoal until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Turn every so often to prevent burning. Dry rubs go on before you start; sauces go on near the end.
anyone who doesn't sous vide shall be stoned until medium rare.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:16 pm UTC

sardia wrote:anyone who doesn't sous vide shall be stoned until medium rare.

I like cooking food over fire!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I like cooking food over fire!
Army catering units have, many times, cooked their food under it.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:57 pm UTC

sardia wrote: anyone who doesn't sous vide shall be stoned until medium rare.
Or you could get stoned and baked, especially now weed is slowly getting legal in the US.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

cphite

Postby cphite » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:31 pm UTC

sardia wrote:
cphite wrote:

Jose

anyone who doesn't sous vide shall be stoned until medium rare.

So what you're saying is... in addition to not having to eat bland sous vide, we get free weed?

doogly

Postby doogly » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:23 pm UTC

Oh beautiful, for spacious skies.....

sardia

Postby sardia » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:51 pm UTC

Who's making you sous vide that's bland?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

Ahh, I remember when I started a thread expressing my bafflement at FaiD. Hammer locked it after two pages.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:08 pm UTC

We're just glorying in the irrelevance until exactly that happens.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:19 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:User Control Panel > Usergroups > Tic the box by The Truly Free, make sure Join Selected is in the dropdown, click Submit.

I am probably going to regret having followed through with that.

Return to “General”