What's your writing utensil of choice?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

Clickster Grip

Not sure why I love these pencils so much, I just do. The older version had a softer grip, but I haven't seen them in about 3 years, I think they changed the design, still my favourite though.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

shidobu

Postby shidobu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:39 pm UTC

Pilot G2 0.5mm

In high school, I developed the habit of spinning my pen whenever I was thinking/working, and I can't seem to break it. Consequently, I'm forced to limit my pen selection to that subset of pens whose tip is resilient to centripetal force. (I've had many a pen hemorrhage ink onto assignments because the tip ceased to hold ink in) The G2 manages to fair well in this metric as well as always writing well.

theonemephisto

Postby theonemephisto » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Black Pilot G-2 07

I've fallen in love with G2s, on account that they're really good pens but are still fairly cheap. I could probably find better ones, but then I'd be shelling out some money. I even use this thing for math now, just because I hate the feel of pencil after using it.

And me and my friend have started what we call a G-2 cult at our school, just because there's a couple of us that almost always use G2s. They also have a pretty nice balance for flipping.

williamager

Postby williamager » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

Okita wrote:While my writing utensil of choice changes depending on what I'm doing (ex. pencil for mathematics/ drawing), I have a secret love for fountain pens.

They are so incredibly pompous yet so cool.

Anyone else a fan of the fancy fountain pen?

Yes! Fountain pens are quite nice. However, most modern ones are thick in both size and nib width, and generally have inflexible nibs. They seem to be made for giants, not humans, and are thus only capable of writing gigantic text while held with a gigantic hand. In general, I believe that a pen should not be wider than my finger, but many are. Older pens have better nibs and more elegant dimensions, but tend to have inkflow problems. For quick notes, I usually use my Wahl ring-top lever-filler, which I carry in my waistcoat pocket. It has a thin, flexible nib, and is quite thin and short, but even with it I have only recently resolved some flow problems that made writing difficult.

For mathematics I prefer either a thin pencil or a very thin black pen; essentially, I choose the thinnest that is still convenient to use. I've found that this rules out rapidographs and 0.3mm pencils, so I generally use 0.5mm lead. My favourite pencil used to be a Caran d'Ache Fixpencil FS50, but I've lost the cap to it, and, while it is rather inexpensive, the only place I know that sells them is a small store in Reykjavik; I can't find an online supplier, and while the pencils themselves are rather well known, the manufacturer doesn't even list them in their online catalogue. Since I doubt I will be going to Iceland soon, I now usually use pens - Uniball Micros seem to work rather well, since their ink tends to bleed less than Pilot Precisions. I am constantly looking for other options in this area.

For letters, cards, and other writing and correspondence meriting decent handwriting, I use an EF Principal in a straight holder, but while I like the nib, I've never found a combination of ink and paper that satisfies me.

sunkistbabe1

Re: What's your writing utensil of choice?

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Amicitia wrote:I use a Pentel GraphGear 1000 for anything in pencil--it's a bit heavy, but has good balance. Otherwise I use a Rotring Core fountain pen.

Writing?

What's that ;)
- Sunkist -

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Anything within arm's reach.

This includes various makeup products, as long as they're not too expensive.

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

xyzzy wrote:DuSTman, that fountain pen you mentioned sounds right up my street. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Yep. Personally, if I had a £100-or-so fountain pen I'd be kind of reticent to sully it by actually, you know, putting ink in it. Getting something like an Inflection is good because they have a lacquered metal barrel, and therefore have a feel of quality and robustness, as well as gold plated nibs and clips (corrosion resistance) and look good in a smart-but-not-too-poncy way. Given that you can get them unused off auction sites for barely more than standard plastic-barrel stainless steel nibbed ones retail for, it seems like a good deal.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

The Zebra M301. Steel barrel FTW!

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

My handwriting is so atrocious I only EVER take necessary class notes by hand. Otherwise, I merely sign bills with my initials and stick to typing.

I don't really have a preference because by-hand writing isn't a joy for me. If I could make writing less stressful and make it so my hand doesn't cramp after five minutes, I'd write by hand more.

williamager

Postby williamager » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

DuSTman wrote:Yep. Personally, if I had a £100-or-so fountain pen I'd be kind of reticent to sully it by actually, you know, putting ink in it.

If putting ink in the pen sullies it, you're most likely using the wrong ink. Ink suitable for fountain pens can nearly always be washed out of the pen and nib if necessary, and fountain pens are generally rather resilient and rather easy to repair. The most common problem caused by ink, at least in older pens, is probably damage to the reservoir, but the plastic that is used now is usually quite stable and doesn't degrade in the way rubber does. I would be far more worried about scratching an expensive pen than breaking the internal working, especially for plated or metal-filled exteriors. One exception to this is with flexible nibs, which can be damaged by too much pressure, but such nibs are uncommon in modern pens.

Rapidographs, on the other hand...

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:02 am UTC

Khonsu wrote:My handwriting is so atrocious I only EVER take necessary class notes by hand. Otherwise, I merely sign bills with my initials and stick to typing.

I don't really have a preference because by-hand writing isn't a joy for me. If I could make writing less stressful and make it so my hand doesn't cramp after five minutes, I'd write by hand more.

I'm the same way. I will write notes from meetings into a notebook with a plain old pencil. But other than that I type almost everything I do. I even pay the majority of my bills online so I do not need to write many checks.

Writing for an extended period of time causes my wrist to cramp up too. Of course I haven't written much since one of my final exams where we had to hand-write a program out in these little booklets. 2 hours and 45 minutes of painful hell. ;)
- Sunkist -

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:17 am UTC

theonemephisto wrote:Black Pilot G-2 07

0.7mm? That's just "fine", right? Always feels to me about the same as writing with magic markers.

I'm an "extra fine" (.5 or less) man, myself.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

DesperatMezures

Postby DesperatMezures » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:23 am UTC

My utensil of choice is the Pentel RSVP. It has unparalleled balance, weight, and grippyness, at least for my purposes. Which are spinning the pen incessantly as I ponder.
OLEANA, PUT SOME JELJEL ON MY WUUD TO MAKE IT YOOJ SO I CAN GO BAVOOM!

theonemephisto

Postby theonemephisto » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:40 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

0.7mm? That's just "fine", right? Always feels to me about the same as writing with magic markers.

It's mostly just that I find it easier to find .7mms in stores around. Also, IIRC, .5mms have a clear pen casing (? don't know my pen terminology), while the 07 is more dark and shaded, which I think looks better.

Sulla158

Postby Sulla158 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:54 am UTC

Zebra pens are the only pens I use when I have a choice. I have an F-301 Ultra in my hand right now. They write better than other ballpoints of similar prices, I think the ball is smaller. It has a zebra print gel grip, how can you turn that down?

http://www.zebrapen.com/ball-f301.html

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:55 am UTC

DuSTman wrote:I just ordered a rainbow-lacquered Fisher "bullet" space pen.

I also quite like fountain pens, although I don't really go for the super-expensive kind (generally, I favour the "Parker Inflection" pens with fine nibs. RRP is apparently about £30-£40, but they can be had off ebay for £15.)

I've heard good things about the Namiki Falcon which has a flexible nib, but I really just like the Lamy 2000, which is made of fiberglass. :O

And for ink, use Noodler's, it's really awesome, and non-corrosive.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:04 am UTC

ifeedlions wrote:I carry a black permanent marker on my person at all times.

Ah, yes. As do I. You never know when you'll have to deface a bathroom stall, or scribble "Hammer Time!" on stop signs.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

I prefer a Bic Stick Click pen, as they're pretty smooth writing, they're cheap, abundant, and they click!

They're actually great for construction, as they're fairly durable, and they mark very well on lumber (which is why I like them so much), but nothing beats a heavy duty construction pencil for most other construction jobs.

And they come in all sorts of promotional designs!

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:26 pm UTC

Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Catch22

Postby Catch22 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

I've fallen in love with G2s, on account that they're really good pens but are still fairly cheap.

+1 for the G2. I prefer blue, but that's just a general preference so my writing stands out on pages that are generally coming off a black and white printer. Well, a black printer anyway...doesn't really print the white i suppose.

When they print in color they never call them "color and white" printers do they?
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

DuSTman

Postby DuSTman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

My Fisher bullet arrived..

This thing is pretty..

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

A £10 Parker fountain pen. I did my A-levels and GCSEs with bic ball-points, so it's a good feeling to be writing and not have your future depend on what you write. It's a memory-association thing i think.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:20 am UTC

Take a wild guess.
Spoiler:

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:38 am UTC

My keyboard....

I pick it up and dab the corner into ink and proceed to write about 100 words per a4 page. Everyone tells me that using a keyboard to make my letters is faster, but they sure must have some skill and a nice keyboard to manage that...

Ess

Postby Ess » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:18 am UTC

If I want someone else to read my writing, I'll probably type it. :|

If something needs to be in real ink, I use a Pilot Precise V3 Extra Fine Rolling ball pen. The ink is a little smudgy, and I should probably find a better type, but when I write with it, I feel like God for some reason. I'll also use this clicky pen with a nice grip on it that I got from an accounting office or a clicky pen from the bank my dad uses.

If I have to use a pencil, I generally use a Pilot G-2 07 mechanical pencil, unless I'm drafting, then I use a Zebra M-301 mechanical pencil. I don't like to use pencil because my hands are really sweaty all the time, and pencil kind of disappears when I put my hand on a paper. I NEVER use wood pencils. They suck. Hard.

For general writing, I like to use a black PaperMate EraserMate. It glides across the paper, which makes me end up with half letters occasionally, but the ink is less smudgy than the rolling ball and, while I can still erase (a very important feature to me), if I put my hand on a paper I've written on with it, the ink will still be totally intact.

Sana

Postby Sana » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 am UTC

I write with a mechanical pencil, unless some legal application or what have you requires a pen.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:05 am UTC

Anyone hear about that American project for a pen that works in space, and the Russians just use a pencil?
=]

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Anyone hear about that American project for a pen that works in space, and the Russians just use a pencil?

Yes. It is mostly, if not entirely false. The main trouble with pencils is two things. One, they're erasable. So you have the whole recording-for-science and the risk of changing the numbers later to make them work. Secondly, and much more importantly, is that they are dangerous. They leave little particles of wood, graphite, etc which can get into the electronics and short something (well, the graphite can). Which would be bad.

In light of this, some American, I forget his name, developed with his own time and money, a pen that could write in zero gravity. He then gave the design to NASA.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Number3Pencils » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:07 am UTC

They make V3s? I've only ever found V7s and V5s. I usually use a V5 when I'm using a pen. I actually don't have any #3 pencils right now. There weren't any at Office Depot when I went to get a few dozen. I was sad.
Spoiler:

Kythyria

Postby Kythyria » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:32 am UTC

Anything with liquid ink. Biros sometimes leave little gaps in the line, and pencils are faint and require sharpening. However, if I want someone else to be able to read it, I type, because my handwriting is terrible, and too small.
Maurog wrote:I prefer "If God didn't want us to have X, He wouldn't have given us brains", with X being any human invention except religion.

Mecks

Postby Mecks » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:49 am UTC

The classic BiC Cristal. I won't write with anything else, and I write a lot. I'll go through about a box per month - half of which I lose/lend, half of which I'll finish off. The greatest pen on earth, hands down. I've tried the rest, I'll stick with the best. They've been working for decades and they'll work for me forever. There's no drying phase - once it's written down, it's on there forever. There's just a little give - it doesn't hemorrhage all over the page like most pens do. The flat-sided design means that it won't roll off desks as easily as smooth pens, and the cap is the perfect little piece of plastic to chew on, bit by bit.

Plus, it's that perfect shade of blue that's easy on the eyes. It really is the perfect writing utensil. I even use it in my statistics/calc courses.
Attachments
pen.jpg
pen.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
You can't sleep at night
You can't dream your dream
Your fingerprints on file
Left clumsily at the scene

Your own worst enemy has come to town...

Zimia

Postby Zimia » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:06 am UTC

A keyboard. Or my parker pen, havent a clue what type it is. But it doesnt break like the other 30000000000 pens I've destroyed. (by accident!)

Hit3k

Re:

Postby Hit3k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:24 am UTC

jmrz wrote:Lately, I have been writing with this:

It is a nice pen to write with, the problem I have with ballpoint pens is that they are weird shapes or they are too thin and I hold my pen weird and they end up hurting my hand. This one is thicker and I don't have that problem. For exams though, I wrap my pen with blue-tac a) to play with when I finish early/get bored/get stressed and b) to stop my hand hurting.

EDIT: Yes, it is a Maze Pen. There are two little silver balls inside the casing that fustrate me to no end because there is one section about in the middle that I just cannot get them past.

SMIGGLES MAZE PEN!

I borrow these off my friend @ school. When I say borrow, I mean... keep. Excellent time waster.

My pencil of choice is whatever I can grab, as long as it isn't one of those flexible ones.
NOT RECOMMENDED.

My pen of choice is this:

I like my gel pens, make me write neater for some reason
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Re:

Postby xyzzy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:05 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

On the topic of extra fine, I'm currently rather tempted by some Rotring technical pens. They go all the way down to .15 mm!

I also need to get myself a mechanical pencil, but a good fine pen like that is decent for math.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

d0rk

Postby d0rk » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:37 pm UTC

I usually use ball-points I get from events. I don't think I've paid for a pen in 5 years...

Rummy

Postby Rummy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

I used to have a large heavy Mont Blanc knockoff in high school that I absolutely loved.

Something like this.

Then one day I picked up a pen that didn't weigh 10lbs and now I write with whatever cheap thing is lying around. I do prefer a fine point though, and all my notebooks are ink.

Return to “General”