A comic ripping off XKCD?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ReasonablyCrazy

A comic ripping off XKCD?

Postby ReasonablyCrazy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:23 am UTC

I searched the forums before posting this and found a reference from a few years ago, but no real discussion on it. I stumbled across a webcomic called Don't Shoot the Pianist (https://www.facebook.com/DontShootThePianist) that seems to do only musician humor comics, but the art style is pretty clearly mimicking XKCD. I know stick figures seem universal, but he styles them the same way, from the lines to the hair, right down to the font. He even links to an XKCD comic beneath his most recent comic on his website. (http://euge.ca/2016/08/06/irregular-meter/)

Is this copyright infringement, or no big deal? Because it feels kind infringey to me.

Moved to General as probably a more suitable sub-forum - Angua

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Re: A comic ripping off XKCD?

Postby Soupspoon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:00 am UTC

The obvious answer is that xkcd is published under https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/ which means that as long as credit is given and no profit is made (nor further second-hand changes made to the licencing that allows subversion of this) the genuine Randall Munroe Experience™ can be copied and shared freely enough, and not only is this not a copied work, it isn't even a cut'n'paste derived work, but hand-crafted anew (thus falling well outside the accreditation requirements).

It's not even as if stick figures were Randall's creation (even something as recent as the iconic Xiaoxiao series started four years before Randall) and you can go back centuries (Sherlock Holmes and The Adventure of the Dancing Men is the best example that comes straight to mind to demonstrate this, but you could extend this to paleolithic instances, I'm sure, if you really wanted to) and the constraints of a comic strip practically force other conventions to converge in various ways. And it's clearly attributed to a non-Randall source, with a marginally different-to-Randall style and handwriting as an added bonus.

But, whilst marginally short of proof, I would imagine it is inspired by Randall's works (as a fan or by mere glance), and the Facebook-depicting comic prior to the one currently linked to shows an increased shared level of common interests and direction of creativity.

If I were Randall, I think I'd be happy to be inspirational, whilstsoever it is clearly not a full on 'fakcd' attempt aimed at dividing the market share or defaming the 'original'. But then if I were Rndall, I'm not sure exactly what other feelings I might have, and I probably wouldn't be posting here. Plus IANAL.

(But note to the regulars in the "there's this xkcd cartoon that I vaguely recall" thread to perhaps add this webcomic to the list of 'easily mistaken for xkcd' ones, along with all the other ones that look far less easily mistaken for xkcd, visually, even through the mists of dodgy recollection... Right? ;))

ReasonablyCrazy

Postby ReasonablyCrazy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:06 am UTC

I suppose that's true. Now that I think about it, there were a ton of comics that used the same style as The Far Side that published in newspapers that didn't face any legal tomfoolery.

Thanks for your insight!

MWak

Postby MWak » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:48 am UTC

You know the old chestnut, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

But the day stick figure art is copywriter is a sad day indeed

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:01 pm UTC

Are there any good "fan cartoon" XKCDs around? One of the girls who modeled a guitar and bikini on wetriffs had one, but that was abandoned shortly afterwards as she prepared to go off to college (but seemed to live on almost as long as wetriffs itself). I can't think of any others.

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:35 am UTC

wumpus wrote:Are there any good "fan cartoon" XKCDs around?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22741

TvT Rivals

Postby TvT Rivals » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:27 am UTC

This truly is the comic Randall would make if he was into music instead of science.

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:53 am UTC

TvT Rivals wrote:This truly is the comic Randall would make if he was into music instead of science.

An alternate universe is leaking.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:40 pm UTC

liberonscien wrote:
TvT Rivals wrote:This truly is the comic Randall would make if he was into music instead of science.

Get the duct tape...
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

liberonscien
-ce

Postby liberonscien » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:42 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
liberonscien wrote:

Get the duct tape...

I'm all out. I have painter's tape though.
Warning: This user is currently questioning its beliefs. This user offers its sincerest apologies if it accidentally offends another user. This user never offends others on purpose and may accidentally offend other users because it lacks knowledge regarding how to be a normal human.

Return to “General”