BCE and CE.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

Re: BCE and CE.

Postby teelo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am UTC

New plan: years since the dinosaur extinction.

Something something Randal's fear of raptors.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:12 pm UTC

teelo wrote:New plan: years since the dinosaur extinction.

I like the idea of dating since the Chicxulub impact (dinosaurs never really went extinct, just learned to fly), but as far as I know we only have the resolution of that year down to "66,033,000 years ago, +/- 10,000 years". And how would we handle dates on a calendar which started when the earth spun faster, and thus may have had more days in a year?

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 pm UTC

I like the Byzantine Anno Mundi system just for its shear factual incorrectness (not even because the earth is way older than that, but it's even got about 2000 years of translation errors).

Plus, for dates before that epoch, we could use years before the world (Ante Mundi) which also has the initials AM just for added fun!
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:38 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I like the Byzantine Anno Mundi system just for its shear factual incorrectness (not even because the earth is way older than that, but it's even got about 2000 years of translation errors).

Plus, for dates before that epoch, we could use years before the world (Ante Mundi) which also has the initials AM just for added fun!

I like this because I can then use "1830 AM" for so much enjoyable wrongness at once...
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:I've always thought that the term "Common Era" sounds stupid. I realize that the term has roots and I get what it's vaguely trying to say, but it still sounds stupid to me in modern context.

Can just as easily be read as "Christian Era", though. Obviously a couple of centures premature, given that the Christian era of Rome started in the late third century CE, but it is the Christian calendar for the prevalence of which we have the Christian era of Rome to thank. That one is in turn a couple of centuries early for the beginning of the Medieval, where the current history of at least Europe really "starts", which is also a Christian era, and in which the numbers were actually assigned.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

thunk

Postby thunk » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:13 am UTC

teelo wrote:New plan: years since the dinosaur extinction.

But they aren't extinct.
Well, the Sheikh beat me to it.
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:17 am UTC

To my knowledge, BCE and CE came about when Christian and Jewish scholars were getting together to talk about things like "when did this thing in the bible actually happen, if it actually did?" Jews, being Jews, are a little picky about the meanings of words (trust me, I am one), and objected to having to call Jesus "our Lord" or acknowledging that he is "Christ" just to talk about a date in time. Christians argued that everyone was using BC/AD anyway, so why make a big fuss? It's just a word, right? And Jews said using a consistent dating system that everyone shared was fine, as long as we didn't have to call Jesus "our Lord". So let's call it what it is... the dating system that pretty much everyone uses in common. Hense, "common era", and "before common era". Jews are simply picky that way.

Later, secularists got wind of it, and liked the idea of taking religious references out of language too, so they jumped on it as well. And now there's some backlash (I hear) from some Christians or people who simply don't see any reason to switch calling it something. So it can get contentious. But really it just started as a way that religious Christians and religious Jews could talk about history together without starting a talmudic-style pedantic debate anytime a year (any year) was mentioned.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 am UTC

I prefer CE to AD, but am OK with "Christmas" for the midwinter festival that has very little to do with Christianity unless you do the churchy bits, and "Wednesday", "Thursday" etc. for days of the week. Is that a bit hypocritical of me?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Return to “General”