Blocking all Images

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jewish_scientist

Blocking all Images

Postby jewish_scientist » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:08 pm UTC

I was not sure where this should go, so I am putting it here.

Currently, I am taking a journalism class. A story I am working on involves... intense images. Is there a way to tell my browser to not display any images?

commodorejohn

Re: Blocking all Images

Postby commodorejohn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:14 pm UTC

It depends on the browser you're using. Firefox has an option to never load images, or at least it did before they turned it into a bad Chrome knockoff; it's probably still in about:config somewhere. Pale Moon put it back in the Content section of the Options dialog where God meant it to be. You could also use a text-only browser like ELinks.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:21 pm UTC

Which browser are you using?

Firefox
Type "about:config" (without quotation marks) into Firefox’s address bar. Look for permissions.default.image. Change it to 2 instead of 1. Note: Appeared to not disable quite everything. Loaded animated gifs still.

Alternative: Try the Image Block add-on. Never used it. Sounds effective.

Internet Explorer
Go to Tools > Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab. Search for "Show Pictures" under Multimedia. Uncheck it. Hit Okay.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:34 pm UTC

Or the original browser that I started with, back in '92, Lynx itself... Not sure how well it deals with fancy-schmancy modern web-site jiggery-pokery like HTML5 extensions or horribly accessibility-naïve modern layout-heavy sites. Maybe the Czech thing does it better, anyway, as seniority doesn't guarantee fully capable.

Other than that, though, I would have said that the age-old Tools|Settings|Content "Show images [untick!]", or modern chromesque equivalent (depending on browser) would be your best bet (gives you option to right-click the 'unloadable image' icon to load it if it's obviously a clickable menu area in image form, that you need to see), as just said, but I can't for the life of me work out the location of this one, myself. Even looked under chrome://flags but no sign of it.

Doubtless depends on your current browser, though.

(Ninjaed...)

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:57 pm UTC

In Chrome it's under Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Images.
He/Him/His Image

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:00 am UTC

HES wrote:In Chrome it's under Settings > Privacy > Content Settings > Images.

Not for (my?) Android version, SFAICT*, which is the only platform I actually use Chrome with. But that information may yet still help OP and, apart from sudden curiosity hand-in-hand with tripping over myself to try to be helpful, I'm not actually too bothered about it personally. ;)

* I can get as far as "Privacy", but Content Settings and onwards, or anything like that, is missing from there or anywhere else I have delved into...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:31 am UTC

Way, way, back in the day, Opera used to be extremely convenient, as there was a single button which would toggle between "load images", "hide all images", and "load only cached images" – so you could, say, load up whatever images you need for a particular board layout to display properly, switch to "cached images" mode, and retain the right layout without having to see anything else you didn't want to.

There's an "ImgLikeOpera" addon for Firefox that might or might not still be supported; it's hard to tell.

Link

Postby Link » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:21 pm UTC

The Web Developer extension for Firefox can do this, among many many other things.

teelo

Postby teelo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:32 pm UTC

Looks like this thread is going to be filled with instructions for various different browsers. Quick, people! Theres still browsers out there you haven't covered! Netscape Navigator. Bertie Boo's Big Bad Bwowser. Tapatalk!

Return to “General”