Sunrise

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Shoofle

Sunrise

Postby Shoofle » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:09 pm UTC

I'm not sure I get it. It seems to me that he's walking around and talking, and then he goes home and gets ready for the day, and then he's at a party or something. When do things happen/what is going on?

Frankeinstein

Postby Frankeinstein » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:47 pm UTC

There are generally two things that make me stop and reflect by creeping me out. First one is when I realize I have preceded my flow of thoughts. Like when I write something and six months later realize that it encompasses everything I've been trying to express.
The second one is things like Sunrise and that is also why I registered here. When I was around seventeen (maybe?) I used to do that a lot and I even have written remarks from that period about how it was more like searching than just walking around at night. Not creepy because it's impossible or because I thought no one else does it, but because I really didn't expect a concept like this to pop up in a webcomic.

Though I don't quite get it either, to me it seems like a "meanwhile somewhere else"-scenario.

Still, pretty sweet.

xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby xkcd » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:54 pm UTC

It seems to me that he's walking around and talking, and then he goes home and gets ready for the day, and then he's at a party or something.

Yup. There's no joke or anything, just a portrait of how things go for him.

Shoofle

Postby Shoofle » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:27 pm UTC

oh, ok. i thought it might have been something that i just didn't get or somesuch.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:58 pm UTC

Its my favorite time of day when I stay up for it, I'll often go wandering around Worcester watching the city wake up. Its sort of fun.

Its also very lonely, but I'm feeling that way more and more recently.

Ahn

Postby Ahn » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:29 am UTC

its surprisingly peaceful....and cold. Be sure to wear a jacket, or...someone.

twenty10

Postby twenty10 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:49 am UTC

a lot of your comics have resounded (in||with) me, the main two which come into mind are path length (unless engaged with something else, it's safe to assume I'm thinking about that whilst walking), and sunrise, because when I've got the energy to get outta bed early enough I really do enjoy those quiet moments.
operation tetris

James

Postby James » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:01 am UTC

I think that you (yes you) are a lying sack of shit.

...Discuss!

Fluidfox
Protector of the Null Set

Postby Fluidfox » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:14 pm UTC

Me? But i'm such a nice guy.....

I get to see that time of day every morning. That's when I get off work. Surprising lot of people to talk to around here. Surprisingly few worth the breath.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

*Cough huge bump*

I love that there are other people who do this. I thought I was the only one. People talk of the beauty of the sunrise but rarely go out and enjoy it, along with feel of the air and sense of tranquillity that accompany it.

Who else does this?

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

I am one of those people: I do enjoy sunrise-type times, when I manage to come across them. Sometimes I do get to see them, but too often I just can't get out of bed: maybe I don't like them that much. But still.

At school sometimes, if I manage to get up early, I'll walk to a nearby bakery and buy a pastry, get some air in my lungs, and read the free newspapers in our dorm. By the time of my first class, I'm completely awake.

Man, the advantages of waking up early totally outweigh the advantages of slightly more sleep. I should be waking up earlier.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:47 pm UTC

Briareos wrote:At school sometimes, if I manage to get up early, I'll walk to a nearby bakery and buy a pastry, get some air in my lungs, and read the free newspapers in our dorm. By the time of my first class, I'm completely awake.

Man, the advantages of waking up early totally outweigh the advantages of slightly more sleep. I should be waking up earlier.

Agreed. When you wake up before everyone else does, you sort of feel like you have the whole morning to yourself. When I used to have to drive about 80 miles one-way to and from work, I had to get up at 4 AM, and had to leave the house no later than 5 AM. If I left early enough, the roads were pretty well deserted, even the major highways and interstates. This allows you some time just to think, reflect, plan your day, everything. Usually I'd stop at Chick-Fil-A in the morning for a chicken biscuit and a large sweet tea. There's just something gratifying about getting the first chicken biscuit off their line. They don't open until 6:30, so if I get to the restaurant earlier than that, I'll just sit in the parking lot. Maybe get out of the car and stretch my legs. I might even peak in the newspaper boxes to see what the headlines are.
PRG

An important message for you:

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 pm UTC

i got up at sunrise for the first time in what is perhaps eight months.
it was great - there are like four hours more in the day!
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

LSK

Postby LSK » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

I have a habit of waking up at 5:17 AM.

(I used to go to the park, but now that I have somewhere to be at 7...)

ShowPony

Postby ShowPony » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:54 pm UTC

The only times I've been up at sunrise in the last several years, I've been in a hurry to do something.

I miss something I used to do about 15 years ago. I would get up about 4am on a Saturday or Sunday, and go off to where a friend kept his horses. I'd go in with the stallion, the one who didn't trust people, but who liked me. I'd pet him for a while, and for some reason, just before dawn, he'd always lie down. I'd sit down next to him, and he'd put his head in my lap and go to sleep. I was the only person who could go near him while he was lying down, he'd get up and go for anyone else who tried to get near him. So I'd sit there in the long grass, with a horse sleeping in my lap, and watch the sky gradually lighten, the shapes of the other horses grazing gradually taking form, the trees gaining details, until the sun finally appeared. It was all so incredibly peaceful, and somehow I felt like I was the only one who knew any of it existed.

All gone now. The stallion was sold, and would have died by now, and the paddocks are under a freeway.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

Huh.. about 10 years ago (and I just now realized that it was about 10 years ago..stupid fast moving time) a friend who worked at a bakery would, once he got off work, pick me up at my place and we'd often go hang out on these bluffs and watch the sunrise while smoking and talking and such.

Good times.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

It is pretty much impossible for me to see the sunrise without travelling at least 100 meters straight up (and there is nothing this high for me to climb) or travelling around 15 km away. But for living in suburbia, them's the breaks.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

Back in Michigan, I quite frequently saw winter sunrises, as they happened at about 8am. In more summer or tropical settings, I've only seen a couple sunrises, usually as a result of staying up most of the night rather than getting up early.

Sure, there's something nice about the solitude of watching an early sunrise. But visually, it's really just a reversed sunset on the other side of the sky.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

I watched the sunrise this morning through the trees on my back porch. I then called into work and said I'd be a few hours late and climbed back into my bed where a certain beautiful lady was sleeping.

One of the finer mornings in my life, I must say.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Cogita

Postby Cogita » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

I used to do this before school, during the winter, when sunrise is around 8 (my school start time). After all the stress of driving to school, 25 minutes highway rush hour, I'd put on my jacket and sit on the warm hood of my car on top of the hill my school was on. And just watch it break, letting go of everything and warming up for the school day. One of the most relaxing things I've done.
"Pantslessness is a status not to be taken lightly!"

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

I really enjoy the sunrise and the pre-day hours. Sunrises are worth staying up for, just because they're slightly more exclusive, and get you a different picture than a sunset. They are different, they're not quite the same.
Anyways, in response to the original post's question, I always assumed that the message was about how he longed to meet someone else, staying awake and watching the sun come up in a pretty place, but how it isn't a great place to meet people. Then it cuts to an image of a place to meet people, where people party at clubs till three in the morning or later.
Just kind of showing how other people meet people, as opposed to the dream of meeting someone at sunrise.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

I work a night shift, and the best part of the entire process is when I open the back door (conveniently facing East) early in the morning, to put out the garbage, and get to see the sunrise.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Ren wrote:I work a night shift, and the best part of the entire process is when I open the back door (conveniently facing East) early in the morning, to put out the garbage, and get to see the sunrise.

When I used to work nights I disliked that fact. It seemed so unnatural, but it was pretty cool to look at since it was on the northern coast of Vancouver Island ... stunning visuals, especially during sunrise and sunset.

It was just the reminder of what time it was that bothered me.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:12 am UTC

jgcrawfo wrote:Anyways, in response to the original post's question, I always assumed that the message was about how he longed to meet someone else, staying awake and watching the sun come up in a pretty place, but how it isn't a great place to meet people. Then it cuts to an image of a place to meet people, where people party at clubs till three in the morning or later.
Just kind of showing how other people meet people, as opposed to the dream of meeting someone at sunrise.

Yeah, I interpreted it as a guy really wanted to meet people in a lovely place like that; the last panel provided a contrast: a party is a conventional place to meet people, and where'd you'd expect to do so. However, it's stuffy and loud and hot and meaningless. Wouldn't we all prefer to meet someone in a place that's peaceful and quiet, a place for reflection, a place hiding in plain sight that only you two see? But alas, that's more than unlikely.

My inner lit-student is distressed at the lack of literature-analysis papers during the summer, and takes out said frustration on internet fora (apparently).

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Somnia wrote:*Cough huge bump*

I love that there are other people who do this. I thought I was the only one. People talk of the beauty of the sunrise but rarely go out and enjoy it, along with feel of the air and sense of tranquillity that accompany it.

Who else does this?

I occasionally go for walks just before sunrise. It is indeed awesome, especially because I live near a hill from which there is a wonderful view.

jgcrawfo

Postby jgcrawfo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Somnia wrote:meaningless

Plenty of people seem to find some sort of meaning there. It's just not the meaning I'm looking for.

zenten

Postby zenten » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

Damn it, I want a job where I don't get off work at 11pm.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby TheKhakinator » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

I always thought that it was showing him looking around and not finding anyone, and as soon as he went home, everyone came out and partied without him.

2DMan

Postby 2DMan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:I always thought that it was showing him looking around and not finding anyone, and as soon as he went home, everyone came out and partied without him.

Now that would just be depressing...
2DMan - Master of Calm
Also known as 'TwoDaemon' on the IRC, with thanks to LE4dGOLEM.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

I'll probably be up before sunrise today actually (today cause its past midnight.) Still, its not as spectacular and far colder in winter...

I need sleep :(
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

I used to get up every day at daybreak and watch the sunrise but ever since I moved I can not see it any more. My neighborhood is surrounded by trees and so I am out of luck. I really miss the sunrise.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

BlueNowhere

Postby BlueNowhere » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

I've been thinking about a place around home where I could go do this. A good (female) friend of mine is coming to visit next week. This would be something fun to do one morning.

I can just see us now going to bed early one night and getting up early the next day to drive somewhere to watch the sunrise.

I really wish I could think of a place to go. I'd like to watch the city "wake up" if I can. If it's just the sunrise, that's cool too.

I'll keep thinking.
The Blue Nowhere

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

I would get up at sunrise, but I've normally not even gone to sleep by then, and also everywhere near me is now getting built up, so seeing anything nice gets very difficult.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:13 am UTC

I'm confused. This is supposed to be the official "Sleeping Problems" thread, but it appears to be about... sunrise? I don't know. D:

It's OK. Please feel free to post about "Sleeping Problems" of any kind in this thread.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Re: Sunrise

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

I woke up in the middle of the night a couple days ago and thought my girlfriend was a cougar, so I poked her in the eye. This isn't a joke, this happened. I can't stop apologizing.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

Also, I often wake up and feel the need to hold onto the walls, to keep the house from collapsing, and also to keep the billions of spiders at bay.

Not kidding.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

So yeah. I seem to have twisted around to counterphase sleep (Up all night, sleep all day) and it's positively driving me insane. No matter what I do, I can't seem to adjust it, either. Go to bed earlier and I'll just lay there staring at the ceiling until I normally would. Wake up earlier and I'll be so dog-tired that I'm guaranteed to take a nap which will reset me to counterphase. This assumes I can manage to wake up earlier, because my pre-conscious mind has become frighteningly adept at operating the various electronic devices that make up my alarms and disarming them (including walks across the room) and getting back to bed before I actually become conscious.

Help me :\
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:19 am UTC

Stay up for 24 hours from when you normally wake up then go to bed?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

lazydilettante

Postby lazydilettante » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Every time I get myself into a more-or-less "normal" human sleep pattern (bedtime between 12-2 a.m., wake up before 10 a.m.), it lasts for maybe 3 days at best before I find myself awake at 4 a.m. with class at 10 a.m. Now, one would think I could get by on 5 hours of sleep and perhaps an alarm to wake me up, but I've the incredible ability to totally sleep through my alarms, so instead I force myself to wait for naptime at 12 p.m. Unfortunately, due to my alarm immunity, naptime ends up being about 7 hours long.

And voila, my lovely normal schedule is shattered.

On the flipside, I have gone a full week sleeping during the day and staying up all night, and the only reason that stopped was because I forced myself to readjust.

...I'm going to die before I'm 30, aren't I?

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

Motion to change thread title to "Earthturn".

Why yes, I am rather pedantic. I never wake up early enough to watch a sunrise, though. I stick around for sunsets.

Return to “General”