What xkcd Comic has been the most useful to you?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

InterestedPotato

What xkcd Comic has been the most useful to you?

Postby InterestedPotato » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:18 pm UTC

This thread is for posting comics that follow you for a long time. Maybe even your whole life.
Comics you are reminded of in your daily routine or in certain situations. Comics you use a lot to make your point clear in conversations.

Or useful tools like this comic I stumbled upon recently.
That comic is the reason for this thread: https://xkcd.com/1205/
I use it whenever I want to begin automating anything that annoys me. Is it really efficient to automate this task? The comic knows! :wink:

Please consider writing a thing or two about how the comic helps you in your life. That would be nice to read!

Now that i know the value of certain xkcd-comics, I am eager to discover new helpful ones!

sidenote: I was not able to find a similar thread in the forums. Please refer me to any if available.

TvT Rivals

Re: What xkcd Comic has been the most useful to you?

Postby TvT Rivals » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:22 am UTC

Do blag posts count? In that case, the Robot9000 idea.

Seriously, we used this during the implementation of a Tv Tropes clone. More details.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:13 pm UTC

Well, "Success" struck enough of a chord that my entire immediate family is now using sharks as a metaphor for the difficulties of most any complex project.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:33 pm UTC

Well, I've never actually used any comic, although 1205 would've been handy yesterday. I spent about an hour failing to code a task I intended to perform only once. Could've done the actual task in that time, had I put my mind to it, but that's yet to happen.
Otherwise all of them have been useful in the sense, that they provided me with a couple seconds of entertainment...
—◯-◯

Return to “General”