Banned from Stack Exchange

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

peterdavidcarter

Banned from Stack Exchange

Postby peterdavidcarter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 am UTC

So, like, how many of you have been banned from Stack Exchange sites, and which ones, and why, and how long for?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Re: Banned from Stack Exchange

Postby Weeks » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:13 pm UTC

Just tell us your amazing story if that's what you want to do.
Am I gregnant
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I can solve nothing but I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.

peterdavidcarter

Postby peterdavidcarter » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:40 pm UTC

Which amazing stories? True ones or the part-fiction? Do you feel there was a story behind the post, or a genuine question, or a bit of both?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:30 am UTC

Your other posts brag about being banned from a bunch of software communites, so presumably you're an edgelord who's proud of your ability to chan at people who don't give a shit.

We don't actually care about your banning stories, because banning stories are all the same ("I was a jackass and they banned me for it").
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:49 am UTC

If it helps, I was banned from Miiverse for posting "PM if you want a 6IV Ditto".

Apparently "PM" is an obscure acronym for some 3DS hacking program.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:07 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:We don't actually care about your banning stories, because banning stories are all the same ("I was a jackass and they banned me for it").

There's an exception to every rule. I was once banned from a vinyl forum because the admin just decided the site would no longer be available from my region.
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:55 pm UTC

The simplified banning story.

"Someone was an asshole and I got banned"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:35 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The simplified banning story.

Would you prefer the story "Someone was not an asshole and I got banned"?

Clix

Postby Clix » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:58 am UTC

sardia wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:The simplified banning story.

Would you prefer the story "Someone was not an asshole and I got banned"?

How about "I was a self-righteous asshole and I got banned?" (an autobiography)
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

teelo

Postby teelo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:14 am UTC

How about "the DB glitched and banned everyone"?

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:34 pm UTC

teelo wrote:If it helps, I was banned from Miiverse for posting "PM if you want a 6IV Ditto".

Apparently "PM" is an obscure acronym for some 3DS hacking program.

If it's the PM I know about, it's actually a hack for a single game on Wii, which is a console that even Nintendo has left in the past. Unless there is a way to activate the hack in "Wii mode" on the Wii U, which I suppose could be possible. Also, talking about hacks and stuff is taboo around here as well, so I'll shut up about it, but just wanted to point out that it's getting a little absurd if they auto ban people for some obscure acronym for a hack for a single game for a console that's generations in the past at this point, and especially so since PM has meant "Private Message" for some years now and is extremely common as an acronym on any kind of text messaging system, such as Miiverse.

And then I was banned from a forum or something.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

Hacks? Like, modding your consoles firmware?

You can talk about it. I'd prefer you not go in to detail about how it's done, but it's fine to talk about it being a thing that is possible.

Same with ROMs really. Leave the names of the player out of the story and, as long as it's relevant, talk all you want.

What I'd rather not see is links to places telling you how to do it, or proper names of the players and whatever.

And, of course, if someone asks if they should buy a console game and your answer is "just download the ROM" then I'm tempted to ban you for being an unhelpful jackass, because at that point you're like the fucknozzles who reply to all Windows and MAC issues with "download Linux"

At any rate, while there were two stories of others being assholes (one of which was the forum itself being an asshole) I want to hear sardia's tale of no one being an asshole but banning happening.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm UTC

The only ban stories worth telling are the ones where someone ends up naked with an emu in a subway station.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:09 pm UTC

Yeah. The point is that PM is a hack for a single game only. PM is extremely popular, as far as video game hacks go, which means it's very obscure to most of the general public and nowhere near as popular as Nintendo's official products are. Furthermore, the use of the term "PM" on Miiverse to refer to this single, old game that can have this specific hack applied to it is presumably insignificant to other possible uses of the term "PM". It's actually embarrassing to think that Nintendo feels so threatened by the existence of PM that they must instantly auto ban anyone who uses that acronym on Miiverse, for fear that the hack will become more popular and more players will want to modify their game with files not officially sanctioned by Nintendo, just to play another version of an old game that only interests a very dedicated, but relatively small, community of diehard fans. To illustrate the absurdity even more, since applying this hack involves downloading files, arranging them in a specific way onto an SD card, and then going through a very specific set of steps to force the Wii to run the files from the SD card, I think that anyone who can figure out how to install PM can recognize a better place to discuss it besides Miiverse, such as the fan-run websites entirely dedicated to that particular game and PM itself.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:56 pm UTC

They are corporate forums. It's not about being rational, it's about the business wanting 100% control of the hardware so they can maximize profits, since profit margins on software increase with time while with hardware it ends the instant your unit is sold. It's basically the consumer-side version of the company store that all rent seekers are looking to introduce (see phones, cloud, IOT) - get you to make a purchase, and then lock you into giving them money for everything you want to do with it and make it difficult to move away.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:17 pm UTC

I get that, but they are skirting dangerously close to the so-call Streisand effect with this. PM is both a common term used when telling time of day, and also a common abbreviation for Private Message, among other things (Phantom Menace if used in a Star Wars context, for example). While it might be more likely that Miiverse users would discuss a Nintendo hack instead of a Star Wars film, it still holds true that this hack is presumably quite obscure to the general Miiverse user. If a user makes a post concerning trading of Pokemon, such as teelo did, or if a post such as, "The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD was so fun that I just couldn't stop playing until 11:30 PM last night!" and those users are suddenly banned, they are going to research the reason for the ban. Then they'll discover the PM hack. Then they might indeed think, "this looks cool. I'll give it a try. It's unofficial, but it's free, and my old Wii is just sitting in my closet collecting dust anyway. Might as well get some use out of the old thing." So they look into modding their firmware (not strictly necessary to run PM, but every website about PM will likely include instructions on how to do it as well), and they just might discover the world of unofficial mods for Nintendo products. At the very least, even if they aren't actually interested in installing and using PM for themselves, they might at least be inclined to mention the ban in another discussion, such as on facebook, or on a webcomic's fan forum, for example. And that mention might snowball into a discussion about the PM hack. And that discussion will be read by other users, such as on this hypothetical webcomic's fan forum. And some of those users will then be exposed to the existence of PM, and might be intrigued enough to try it, or at least to mention it in another discussion, therefor spreading the word.

I think if Nintendo just ignored the PM thing, it would attract less attention to a product that they wish didn't exist. I get that there might be certain terms they don't want mentioned, but PM is merely an abbreviation for the actual name of this hack. And the term "PM" can be used for many more things, some of which might actually be beneficial to Nintendo. Banning users from their discussion forums isn't helping them any more than banning the use of the term, because that just means less users to discuss actual Nintendo products (such as teelo who was attempting to discuss Pokemon, and also inviting more users to use Miiverse (via Private Message), both of which are official Nintendo products).

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:At any rate, while there were two stories of others being assholes (one of which was the forum itself being an asshole) I want to hear sardia's tale of no one being an asshole but banning happening.

That's something I'd like to hear as well.

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:fucknozzles

For reasons unknown, I find this word absolutely hilarious.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:14 am UTC

commodorejohn wrote:The only ban stories worth telling are the ones where someone ends up naked with an emu in a subway station.

If you have one of those, the world needs to know. All the details.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:16 am UTC

@New User, yeah some of their bans are amusingly absurd. I first read about the "banned for posting PM" thing when browsing peoples Miiverse ban logs.

I know people got banned for mentioning the time because Nintendo thought that by PM they were talking about a certain Brawl mod, and not, you know, any time during the 12-hour period from noon to midnight.

The one right below it, though, particularly amuses me, being a Pokemon fan and all:

Soon after ORAS were released, someone asked about Hoopa, and I replied by saying that it wasn't available yet.
I got banned for 24h, presumably because this was before Hoopa was officially revealed, but still.

Lots of the reports in that thread are people who genuinely deserved it, though. Swearing and stuff.

E: Although banning people for replying to someone who actually broke a rule is a bit weird. Blizzard tend to be over-the-top moderators but even they usually don't forum ban for quoting a rule-breaking post.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:50 am UTC

Sounds to me like a variation on the Scunthorpe Problem.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

teelo

Postby teelo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:03 pm UTC

Essentially, yeah.

An amusing example of that one from the World of Warcraft forums: they censor the word "rape". Not surprising. They censor lots of words. Their forum package supports the ability to link in-game items on the forums. For a long time, linking items such as [Drape of Cruelty] would display the item as [D$^#@ of Cruelty]. Yup.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:36 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Essentially, yeah.

An amusing example of that one from the World of Warcraft forums: they censor the word "rape". Not surprising. They censor lots of words. Their forum package supports the ability to link in-game items on the forums. For a long time, linking items such as [Drape of Cruelty] would display the item as [D$^#@ of Cruelty]. Yup.

Similar example: I once saw wristwatch censored by some automated process. Took me a while to find the objectionable word hidden in it.

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:26 pm UTC

Even more perplexing when said objectionable word is not even in the language you're using. I remember spending an incredible amount of time a few years back explaining to my guildmates why on earth the word "douche" was censored (playing on a server dedicated to France, where said word pretty much exclusively means "shower").
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:27 pm UTC

It's probably a default COLOREDlist being miRELATIONSpressed by the filter's BOTTOMysis, meaning all potentially offensive and BREASTilating substrings in English are BOTTOMumed as already needing to be banned.

wumpus

Postby wumpus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:17 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Essentially, yeah.

I'm pretty sure Dungeons and Dragons Online censored its own bastard swords (this is worse because [I think, wasn't there] they were the best you could get during initial release [only supported levels 1-10 or so]).

Moonythedwarf

Postby Moonythedwarf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:22 pm UTC

How about (SS13 Paradise) 'The stickyban system went haywire and banned everyone'

It happens to me a lot.

Flintstone

Postby Flintstone » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:11 am UTC

One day, I just lost the ability to log into stack exchange. I don't know why, it just decided to not accept my account. Didn't say I was banned.

monkey3

Postby monkey3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 pm UTC

That site is a bit difficult to use first time , so much automated stuffs happening like the questions don't meet the required standard etc etc .But i kind of like it after few months of messing around :mrgreen:

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:45 pm UTC

Back in the day after I got tired of my Club Penguin account and deciding I wouldn't play any more, I walked around telling yo mama jokes until I got banned. Only time I've ever been banned in my life.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:00 am UTC

I got kicked for 24 hours for requesting that another user be banned for consistently posting cliche fanfiction ideas.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:53 pm UTC

It's a little fascinating to me that the one who posted this thread in the first place never even posted their story.

I mean come on!
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

Having kept us waiting this long, whatever it was could only be a disappointment after this much hype. It would be like Half Life 3.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:37 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:It's a little fascinating to me that the one who posted this thread in the first place never even posted their story.

I mean come on!

And we didn't get to read sardia's story either. Honestly I'm more interested in that one.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:26 am UTC

Since it's relevant to parts of this thread: Miiverse is closing on 8 November. So now we'll all be banned!
any pronouns (mainly she/he)
----
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)
Spoiler:
Weeks wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:Maybe I am a female Justin Bieber!
Justine Bieber. Alternatively, Miley Cyrus.

K-R

Postby K-R » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm UTC

somitomi wrote:
Mo0man wrote:It's a little fascinating to me that the one who posted this thread in the first place never even posted their story.

I mean come on!

And we didn't get to read sardia's story either. Honestly I'm more interested in that one.
Does it exist? I read it as a hypothetical.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

K-R wrote:Does it exist? I read it as a hypothetical.

I do hope it does.
flicky1991 wrote:Miiverse is closing on 8 November. So now we'll all be banned!

Not me, I don't have a Miiverse account. :P

Return to “General”