how do you pronounce 2016?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Re: how do you pronounce 2016?

Postby suffer-cait » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:55 pm UTC

Does that make the middle year "the year of Christ"? Political/religious gap year? That year that time forgot? The year that forgot because drugs man?
ImageImageImageImageImage

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 pm UTC

reval wrote:Ah, good point. Okay, you got me there. I still want a Year Zero, though.
Check out the Ecclesiastical Calendar in my sig. And come join us in the One True Thread. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
reval wrote:It makes sense to me to treat 1 BC as Year 0, and 2 BC as Year -1. Days and months and years seem like ordinary numbers and number ranges. I don't understand why this is a problem?
For one thing, we don't count the months backwards when we are in negative years. That's probably the crux of it.

Jose

So if we started counting months backwards, would that mean the year starts with Negative December and ends with Negative January? And do Weeks* in such years start at Negative Saturday and end at Negative Sunday?

* Capitalized because Weeks knows the answer to this question

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 am UTC

Sheikh al-Majaneen wrote:So if we started counting months backwards, would that mean the year starts with Negative December and ends with Negative January?
Well, we'd number months from zero, January would be month zero, December would be month 11. But the last month in negative years would be month... already there's a problem. Would it be month negative zero? Or negative one? (making the first month of that year month negative 12?). This is where the problem is one of ranges vs. points. Giving names to these months is just hair on the dog.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:42 am UTC

In my mind I intend to say two thousand and sixteen, but the 'and' isn't always audible.

Twenty- hasn't caught on with me. I suspect I haven't heard it nearly as often because it doesn't save as many syllables as nineteen-.

Angua wrote:An American once told me I was doing it wrong when I was teaching English with her and saying 'One hundred AND one, One thousand, one hundred AND ten). Apparently they don't say the and.

Jimmy Pop puts the 'and' in 1972 in the opening verse of this song.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:32 pm UTC

I seem to remember when I was learning Russian that they do ages differently to us. They do 'first year, second year' whereas we say completed years.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “General”