Sometimes the universe is a cruel mistress...

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quibblicious

Sometimes the universe is a cruel mistress...

Postby Quibblicious » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:05 pm UTC

Okay, this is a bit of whining, but what the heck...

For Xmas 2015 I was given the XKCD What if? book. I enjoyed it immensely and loaned it to an interested coworker who was also a fan of XKCD.

He took it home to read. I wasn't worried; he'd been at the company for a decade and a half and was an important part of the team with a huge depth of knowledge. He mentored me as a new guy at the company, and we had a number of common interests as musicians and software engineers.

Well, a month or so later, due to some upper management stupidity, he ended up in an argument over the way they were running certain aspects of development (ignoring a lot of critical maintenance for new feature development, stopping several people from making critical updates to the existing code, and generally taking a short term view). So he resigned. I spent the next couple weeks trying to learn 15 years of information from him before he left the company, and I forgot to ask about my book.

No big deal; we were supposed to touch base after a few months, and I would get the book then. Well, in the intervening months he passed away unexpectedly.

So not only did I lose a friend and mentor, I lost my book. It's a trivial thing but it seems like it adds insult to injury.

I'm through whining now.

Q

sardia

Re: Sometimes the universe is a cruel mistress...

Postby sardia » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 am UTC

Quibblicious wrote:Okay, this is a bit of whining, but what the heck...

For Xmas 2015 I was given the XKCD What if? book. I enjoyed it immensely and loaned it to an interested coworker who was also a fan of XKCD.

He took it home to read. I wasn't worried; he'd been at the company for a decade and a half and was an important part of the team with a huge depth of knowledge. He mentored me as a new guy at the company, and we had a number of common interests as musicians and software engineers.

Well, a month or so later, due to some upper management stupidity, he ended up in an argument over the way they were running certain aspects of development (ignoring a lot of critical maintenance for new feature development, stopping several people from making critical updates to the existing code, and generally taking a short term view). So he resigned. I spent the next couple weeks trying to learn 15 years of information from him before he left the company, and I forgot to ask about my book.

No big deal; we were supposed to touch base after a few months, and I would get the book then. Well, in the intervening months he passed away unexpectedly.

So not only did I lose a friend and mentor, I lost my book. It's a trivial thing but it seems like it adds insult to injury.

I'm through whining now.

Q

Go to his funeral, steal the book while they're grieving. They'll be distracted. Or ask for it.

Return to “General”