Analog clocks

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mega85

Analog clocks

Postby Mega85 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 am UTC

They seem to be going obsolete. Fewer and fewer places have one nowadays. And schools are starting to no longer teach kids how to read them. As a consequence, kids grow up not being able to read an analog clock.

teelo

Re: Analog clocks

Postby teelo » Wed May 17, 2017 1:39 am UTC

Hot girl at twelve o'clock.

"No it's three thirty"

HES

Postby HES » Wed May 17, 2017 9:36 am UTC

I don't see Big Ben* going digital any time soon. Most people I know wear analogue (or at least hybrid) watches, and you can still have pseudo-analogue clocks on homescreens and desktops.

I also find it unlikely that schools are not teaching this anymore, as it can tie in to other bits of maths that are taught around the same time.

*Yes, yes, I know, not the actual name of the clock.
He/Him/His Image

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed May 17, 2017 10:05 am UTC

Most wall clocks you find in stores are analog and consequently most classrooms have (cheap) analog clocks on the wall. They're still widely used in railways stations and other pulbic places, I think because they're easier to read at a glance to get a rough idea about time. Digital clocks have become much more ubiquitous, but I don't think analog clocks are going to completely disappear anytime soon.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 17, 2017 11:25 am UTC

To my chagrin, given my age (and, ironically, one of my 'hobbies') I have never had the seemingly instinctual vusual understanding of an analogue clock face. Apparently, I should be able to recognise "half-pastness" (without worrying about the hour) or "almost three o'clock" (without tying down the minute) as generations long past have been doing, and even my contemporaries. I cannot. I have to consciously identify the two hands (perhaps also disentangle the fast moving second hand, etc) and satisfy myself as to both. Not quite "Mickey Mouse's big hand is pointing at...", but I may take seconds to do what I should be able to do in a glance.

I learnt my clock-reading in school, sufficiently, but it seems just to have not stuck. But I never wore an analogue wristwatch in my youth. I had a very early digital watch, the first in a long line of digital wristware, and I presume the proximate utility just put a halt to my maturation of the skill with analogues. Ironically, I rarely wear a watch these days, but the one I might wear is a solar-perpetual fancy analogue one. Then if I need to know the time, I extract my phone from my pocket1, to check that instead... I suspect I could get up to speed with a binary watch, though, from the ease with which I've managed to deduce the times on otherwise unfamiliar variations.

1 And, on the current one have to press two buttons and wait half a second for the "press <foo> to unlock" message to re-retreat from in front of the digital representation of the time upon the now lit face. That's if it's not totally obscured by a note that the phone has found a new time zone, requiring me to actually unlock it to advance that spurious synchronisation process, note the now-visible time then carefully ensure no further buttons are pressed (in hand or pocket) until the time-out-only screen locking reactivates. Grrr.... But irrelevant to the subject at hand.

Return to “General”