TVs in public places.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mega85

TVs in public places.

Postby Mega85 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:53 am UTC

It seems like more and more public places are getting TVs these days. I have heard of gas stations that have TVs at the gas pumps. TVs are popping up everywhere. Waiting rooms, restaurants, stores, malls, hair salons, gas pumps, elevators, and even public restrooms.

teelo

Re: TVs in public places.

Postby teelo » Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 am UTC

Ok and?

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 am UTC

...and you can't escape the audio, which as often as not is advertising, advertorial, or mind-numbing drivel. Further, places that have it (such as doctors' waiting rooms, where you're a captive audience) most often refuse to mute it, or allow you to wait elsewhere (except outside, where you're likely to miss your call).

There's a seaish amount of money being made here, I'm sure, by annoying the hapless patrons.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 am UTC

Holy shit, I think Mega is a spambot who gained sentience as all the posts are like this one.

by the by, this is not an invitation to play "Pile onna Mega". Understand? This is an invitatation for Mega to elaborate.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 am UTC

I'd just like to say (both before and after reading ST's coloured text) that I have not yet seen this phenomena as so described.

There's a greasy-spoon cafe that I pass through maybe once a year that has two TVs (usually different channels, different ends of the room) that are there to inform the truckers/bikers who wish to seat themselves close enough to hear their low volumes and get the regular broadcast news/whatever, but that's not advertising-led (what with TV Licences, and perhaps some variant upon a PPL required, it likely costs the establishment). And the blood doning place has various TVs entertaining us donors (again, regular broadcasts, sound OFF, highly humorous real-time auto-subtitles often making an amusing game of what the audio actually would have been as we backtrack the semi-homophonous errors back to something that makes sense...)

No ads on petrol pumps, yet, that I've noticed. The local shopping centre has floor-standing advertising LCDs (Clearview?) and I know of some LED billboards (typically replacing various mechanically moving-billboard designs, 'rolling' or 'shuttering' , at one or other prime spot where there has long been a billboard, even static), but I'm not sure these are so much of the way along to the Minority Report ubiquitousness...

But I shall now look out for them. It sounds like it's only time!

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Wed May 17, 2017 11:41 am UTC

Yesterday while we were at the gas station coming home from the city my mom saw a screen that was advertising Mountain Dew. Then when it was done she said it said, "You are watching Gas Station TV!" My thoughts are that these are bothersome because I don't commonly enjoy the television. I've seen them in doctors' waiting rooms too however usually they are turned down so I may not have to pay attention.

She/Her/Hers.

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 pm UTC

I live in California. We've had the obnoxious videos on the gas pumps for a few years now--at least in the population centers. Didn't see them when I drove through the less-populated Central Valley recently.

The videos seem to run in a one-minute loop, so even though I don't look at the screen, I hear the audio for the same celebrity news, sports highlights, late-night tv jokes, and male-centered ads cycle a few times while I wash my front and back windshields.

(The target audience of all this stuff is quite obviously male, because everyone knows that women don't buy gasoline. Snort.)

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Wed May 17, 2017 10:35 pm UTC

A restaurant I liked to frequent added six! screens across the soffit over the counter seating. They also used one for the daily specials board near the front door. Whether they all show the same show or a selection, it's horrible. It's almost impossible to get a seat that doesn't put one in your line of sight. I eat there much less frequently these days.
It's like there has been some assumption made somewhere that even a moment without a distraction is too much for Americans to cope with. There are even digital moving ads on the sides of buses. Human vision is evolved to be attracted to bright, moving images. These ads are just about demanding that drivers look away from traffic. I wonder how many drivers have been in accidents because of them.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

commodorejohn

Postby commodorejohn » Wed May 17, 2017 11:01 pm UTC

Yeah, this is increasingly becoming a thing. It makes me want to stab out the speaker cones, if not crack the screens themselves.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

Return to “General”