Living in the Wild

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

duonganh

Living in the Wild

Postby duonganh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:31 am UTC

A friend and I are compelled this summer to live for a week or so in the wild. We're from New York and not at all cut out for this--basically looking for advice. Our preconditions are: we don't bring food, we don't bring water, we bring a lighter, tent, and a gun (oh, and the car would be parked a mile or so away lol).

Any thoughts on where we should go and how we should approach it

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Living in the Wild

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:30 pm UTC

Don't.

Spending a week at a camp when you brought enough food and water to last a week is difficult enough when you know what you're doing.

You admit you don't.

Best case scenario is you spend the most miserable, wet, cold, hungry week of your life.

Bad case is that you die.

You probably don't want to hear my worst case.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm UTC

Two thoughts: figure out where the compulsion is coming from - why do you want to do this? It may be that doing this doesn't really address the reasons you want to.

But given good reasons, take it gradually as you learn how to handle things. For example, try hiking with the Sierra Club; you'll meet other outdoorspeople. Go camping overnight where food and shelter is provided. Go camping overnight in a known camping area where you bring your own. Extend this to two or three nights. By now you will be getting a feeling for whether or not you enjoy this kind of thing. If you don't enjoy it, stop. You saved yourself misery and deadly peril. If you do, you're learning vital stuff for later, and you may also be addressing the original impetus without putting yourself in deadly peril, and while meeting new friends and doing new things.

But don't do dangerous stuff you don't know anything about without learning about it and gaining experience first. Knowledge reduces (but does not eliminate) danger, and increases enjoyment and appreciation.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:09 pm UTC

Misread "lighter, tent" as "lighter tent" (i.e that you are used to one of those "two or three standable-in 'bedrooms', significant internal cooking/dining area and extensive 'porch' when you prop the fly-up" frame-tents, now you're downsizing to a small ridge-tent or even a small pop-up thing that is supposedly a 2-manner, but actually only fits 1.5 adults, unless you're married or threatening to get married...)

I've never been wild-camping anywhere where a gun is necessary, expected or even allowed, being British. (The closest I've got was that hotel in Philli, but I was mostly protected by the power of being a Limey who didn't know better...) But at least consider making it two lighters, and other backup equipment, and if you're forced down to the one then consider at least a jaunt out to the local excuse for civilisation for a resupply. If you can't so jaunt, then maybe your first trip is bit too ambitious.

There's probably edge-of-wilderness locales that you can get the dark skies, but are still half an hour away from a 7-11 at the most.. Get the taste for it. And then when you find that you've pitched your tent in a (nominally) dry stream-bed, like I did that one time in the Alps, it doesn't turn out quite so bad if you can't handle the resulting sogginess. ;)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:48 pm UTC

On the theory that this thread is going to be a repeat of the "I think I need to quit smoking" thread, with people offering well-meaning advice in vain because the single-post OP is a spammer, I say go ahead and do the trip. One of you can survive by eating the other.

ucim

Postby ucim » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:...because the single-post OP is a spammer...
I'm not sure I get how this would work. The OP isn't selling anything, gets some replies to what seems to be a reasonable (if naive) question, comes back later and changes their post to something spammy, and then... who reads it? The thread has moved on.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:59 pm UTC

Well, if there's going to be spam involved, then obviously I suggest taking some flour, water and oil, and a trangia, or other lightweight camping stove with a fryingpan-lid fitting...

Though dehydrated goods will be less bulky, if you can secure a good water-supply (or purify a not-brilliant one). Macaroni Cheese is a good stop-gap (take some milk-powder, for thickening, but a pint or two of fresh milk that you can use up on the first day should be Ok), gives you the carbohydrates to endure your outdoor trial. And maybe a small block of actual cheese (not processed slices/squirty-stuff!), for a treat, and then plan to eat that up before the heat gets to it.

Remember, though, if you follow my advice (given freely to whoever is reading this) and die of nutrient starvation out in the middle of nowhere, don't come back and complain that I told you nothing about fresh fruit or vegetables. That's up to you to organise, as I have no idea what local and seasonal produce you can get hold of or carry safely, and obviously wouldn't want to encourage increasing the amount of food-miles even more and all the associated pollution.

(But you can burn the Macaroni Cheese packets, to offset the brushwood on your camp-fire, and I'm sure you can find clever things to do with your spam tins. I'd be tempted to fashion them into air-ducting to help you explore that old abandoned goldmine in greater safety.)

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:02 pm UTC

There's nothing wrong with asking for, or offering, advice on quitting smoking, or on living in the wild. Both are interesting topics, and received interesting responses.

But I also don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out some pattern recognition. For example, I recognize a pattern in someone's having joined this online community and initiated a thread three minutes later, inviting people of goodwill to spend time and thought to compose some advice.

If the pattern continues, we can expect the original post to be changed to something outrageously off-topic after a certain amount of time or a certain number of posts, because that's what happened in the "I think I need to stop smoking" thread. I guess we'll see.

One might argue that no real harm was done--and possibly some good was done, as the advice offered could benefit many others besides the (apparently bogus) OP, and the resulting conversation was enjoyable. But personally, I think it's unwise to encourage this kind of bait-and-switch propaganda deployment, because when such techniques work we can expect to see more of the same.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:12 pm UTC

ObsessoMom wrote:On the theory that this thread is going to be a repeat of the "I think I need to quit smoking" thread, with people offering well-meaning advice in vain because the single-post OP is a spammer, I say go ahead and do the trip. One of you can survive by eating the other.

I've already locked the post to prevent editing.

It's entirely possible someone discovered the forum and decided that this.. THIS.. was their first post. Unlikely, but possible enough that I want to avoid the whiny scream-fit in Site and Forum issues about "Mods are out of control and denied my perfectly legitimate post whaaa whaa whaa"

Though arguably, I should have checked the post information first - the odds of a pair of New Yorkers with a gun in Vietnam wanting to "rough it" with no experience exists is basically zero.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:57 pm UTC

Well they should just go for it, but don't forget your labtop and spare battery to either post or spam about your experience!

Also there are plenty of fancy water burks out they're that automatically filter any water, so as long as you bring that you can totally survive a week. You can even not eat for a week and survive.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:27 am UTC

ucim wrote:
ObsessoMom wrote:...because the single-post OP is a spammer...
I'm not sure I get how this would work. The OP isn't selling anything, gets some replies to what seems to be a reasonable (if naive) question, comes back later and changes their post to something spammy, and then... who reads it? The thread has moved on.

Jose

Search engine spiders
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:01 pm UTC

Spiders can read? {has visions of giant networked spiders with megaphones destroying Manhattan while reading the London Times and ensuring that we all know where to get penis enlargement pills.}

Hmmm.... maybe that's how they got so big?

If this happens, we'll need to know how to live out in the wild!

Jose

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You probably don't want to hear my worst case.

Cannibalism.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:31 am UTC

No.

Cannibalism followed by autocannibalism to disability followed by rescue.

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:15 am UTC

Before I went backpacking sans parent(s) for the first time (with a friend), I read a story in a backpacking magazine (it may have been Backpacker Magazine) about two buds in the New Mexico desert who got lost, ran out of water, made a suicide pact - one friend managed to kill the other with a dull knife, wasn't able to kill himself and was found a short while later. My friend and I also got off our trail for about 24 hrs, but we knew the direction we needed to head in, made it back to the trail, and had a lovely trip.

Oop, found the story.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:17 pm UTC

I saw a guy a few years back who tried to take on the Appalachian Trail with no hiking experience. According to his social media posts, here's all you'll need for success:

-Pop-Tarts, lots and lots and lots of 'em
-Strangers to sponge off of - aka: Trail Angels
-Bring along a woman with lots of money and poor self esteem you can sponge off of and later insult
-Access to a crowdfunding campaign
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:50 am UTC

This is a cut-and-paste repost of a thread on this very forum from 2010: link.

Edit: So is the smoking one (albeit with the typo in the subject fixed)

Edit 2: Pretty sure the product/service one is as well: link

Edit 3: And the “intelligent information” one is from 2009: link
wee free kings

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm UTC

Nice sleuthing, Qaanol!

Either skateboarding has some really, REALLY evangelical fans in Vietnam...or those links to skateboarding sites in the edited posts aren't really what they appear to be, so I wouldn't recommend clicking on them. (It might be worthwhile to run a skateboarding-related search of this site, or a search for those URLs here, just to see if those links come up anywhere else.)

I'm betting that the IP addresses for duonganh, hoangtrunglien, huongduong, and tuanhuylink are pretty similar, if not identical.

All four seem to have joined only to post a message in order to edit its text to something containing active links at a later date--I suppose to defeat the barriers to new members posting active links. (Apparently that inability times out, and this series of spoofs with shortening times between OP and editing may be an attempt to find out how long it takes for a new member not to be considered link-posting-ineligible anymore.)

A few quick notes building on Qaanol's work:

Qaanol wrote:This is a cut-and-paste repost of a thread on this very forum from 2010: link.

Recent rehash of that thread: we're in it right now
OP was by duonganh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 am Etc/GMT+8
Gap: 4 minutes
Not edited because SecondTalon disabled that capability

Qaanol wrote:Edit: So is the smoking one (albeit with the typo in the subject fixed)

Recent rehash of that thread: I think I need to stop smoking.
OP was by hoangtrunglien » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 am Etc/GMT+8
Gap: 3 minutes
Edited (I don't know after how much of a delay) to something skateboard-related (with at least one active link in it--I don't remember how many).
Last edited by SecondTalon on Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:37 am Etc/GMT+8, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Back to the original.
(Gap between OP and SecondTalon's restoration of OP: 13 days, and as I recall the initial editing was a day or two before that.)

Qaanol wrote:Edit 2: Pretty sure the product/service one is as well: link

Recent rehash of that thread: Is Google a product or a service?
OP by huongduong » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:56 am Etc/GMT+8
(Gap: 10 minutes)
Last edited by huongduong on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:42 am Etc/GMT+8, edited 1 time in total.
(Gap between OP and edit: 14 days)
The edited post is still there (as of my posting this) and contains three active links related to skateboarding. CAUTION: These sites may not actually be what they appear to be.)

Qaanol wrote:Edit 3: And the “intelligent information” one is from 2009: link

Recent rehash of that thread: Let's all talk about intelligent information!
OP by tuanhuylink » Tue May 30, 2017 10:49 am Etc/GMT+8
(Gap: 7 minutes)
Last edited by tuanhuylink on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:54 pm Etc/GMT+8, edited 3 times in total.
(Gap between OP and edit: 19 days)
The edited post is still there (as of my posting this) and contains three active links related to skateboarding. CAUTION: These sites may not actually be what they appear to be.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:13 pm UTC

At this point, there are no automatic systems to prevent a new user from adding links. I just disprove of all of them manually, often without bothering to change the reason why they were disapproved - after all, if you aren't going to read a rules thread, you aren't going to read a reason why your post wasn't approved.

At any rate, thanks for the catches. Two of them are now in the boneyard.

Return to “General”