Santa Claus

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mega85

Santa Claus

Postby Mega85 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:18 pm UTC

Parents tell their children that Santa Claus isn't real while on camera. Are they some of the cruelest parents? The article says so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... tears.html

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Santa Claus

Postby Angua » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:18 am UTC

Who tells their kid that Santa isn't real?* They all figure it out by about 5 or 6 anyways.

I'm not reading the article because it's daily fail.

*I'm assuming that for the purposes of it being an interesting thing to watch on camera that we are excluding households where they never told them Santa was real to begin with, which is a valid approach but probably not one worth filming.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:42 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Who tells their kid that Santa isn't real?* They all figure it out by about 5 or 6 anyways.

I'm not reading the article because it's daily fail.

*I'm assuming that for the purposes of it being an interesting thing to watch on camera that we are excluding households where they never told them Santa was real to begin with, which is a valid approach but probably not one worth filming.

Me and my siblings still go along with Mikulás1 and baby Jesus even though the youngest of us is 20 by now. I think we didn't even talk about it with each other, everyone just figured it out on their own.

1I'd say that's Santa Claus in English, but actually he comes on the 6th of December bringing chocolate and sweets. Yup. We get a little pre-Christmas. 8-)
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:07 am UTC

I mean, my mum still does stockings when we're at home. So, you know.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

TimelordSimone

Postby TimelordSimone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:17 am UTC

When I spent Christmas away from home Santa came early to deliver stockings that I took with me for the day itself.

We've never openly discussed Santa not being real? I don't want to risk losing my socks and chocolate, you know.
I mostly lurk. Hello.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 am UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:When I spent Christmas away from home Santa came early to deliver stockings that I took with me for the day itself.

We've never openly discussed Santa not being real? I don't want to risk losing my socks and chocolate, you know.

This was my logic as a child. Easter bunny too.
GNU Terry Pratchett

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:34 pm UTC

TimelordSimone wrote:I don't want to risk losing my socks and chocolate, you know.

Who would?
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:27 pm UTC

I just can't wait to have my kids leave out chocolate milk and cookies on christmas eve so I cam eat them all.
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

ObsessoMom
Nespresso Bomb

Postby ObsessoMom » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:00 pm UTC

One Christmas morning, I overheard my 3.5-year-old point to a gift tag and whisper to my 6-year-old, "Santa writes just like Daddy." And the 6-year-old whispered back, "Yeah, but don't tell Daddy we've noticed. It's so cute that he thinks he's getting away with it."

And my husband was, indeed, so cute and innocent about how obvious his efforts to be sneaky were was that I never told him he was busted, either.

jastim

Postby jastim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 am UTC

Why these parents don't let their children figure it out on their own?!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:30 pm UTC

jastim wrote:Why these parents don't let their children figure it out on their own?!

For the likes and clicks, spambot. For the likes and clicks.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 pm UTC

At one point, when I was still on the fence myself ("OK the easter bunny and tooth fairy aren't real, but maaaaybe there's something special about Santa..." *), my parents told me "Look, you may have figured this Santa thing out by now... do not under any circumstances tell your brother." Aight ok, that sealed the deal. And I didn't! Totally good about it.

I'm very sympathetic to never starting the Santa spiel, but if you do, it makes sense to ease out gently.

* cf equivalent story about Christ, fifteen years later.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Liri
Healthy non-floating pooper reporting for doodie.

Postby Liri » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:47 pm UTC

My dad informed me several years ago that his sister and brother-in-law had kept it up for my cousins well past the norm, into their adulthood. They're 30 and 32 now and I don't think my aunt has broken the pretense yet. I'm not 100% that my cousins have figured it out.
He wondered could you eat the mushrooms, would you die, do you care.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:21 pm UTC

If only parents would do the same for other fables of other books...

My parents never did santa but it took me until an adult to figure the jesus thing out. (They never did santa because it went against religion.)

As to posting fragile moments - any fragile moments -
of your childs life on the Internet for all to see and forever be documented, such parents need to be shamed and punished. Dont bully your kids and teach them not to trust you, this shouldnt be rocket science.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:34 am UTC

I had a strange upbringing regarding Santa Claus and Jesus. As a kid they seemed to me like the same kind of story and for neither did I have an Oh me yarm moment of realization that they were false, I just slowly grew out of the obvious stories for children as I got older. The Oh me yarm moment for me came when I had outgrown them completely as an adult and come around to what I thought all adults except some far away nutballs believed, only to then realize that my parents ACTUALLY BELIEVED in Sant... er, Jesus.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Return to “General”