Goodbye Cassini

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

pogrmman

Goodbye Cassini

Postby pogrmman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 pm UTC

So, as I'm sure you guys are probably aware of by now, the Cassini orbiter at Saturn is currently in the process of beginning its plunge into Saturn's atmosphere.

As of around an hour ago, it was supposed to have taken its last ever picture.

Cassini has been by favorite mission of NASA, between the wonderful photos and the awesome discoveries it seemed to continually make. Not to mention the fact that it's been in space since a few months after my birth. I remember being super excited when it got to Saturn and reading the news after Huygens dropped onto Titan. I mean, I was pretty excited when Spirit and Opportunity landed, but I was even more excited when Cassini got to Saturn. It really helped to make me excited about space (and science in general) as a young kid. Heck, Cassini is probably one of the reasons I've since decided to study science and try to go into a career in science.

It's amazing how long it has lasted. I'll be sad to see it's mission end around 15 hours or so from now.

I'm kind of disappointed there's not another big mission coming up soon to the outer solar system.

Anyway, I was suprised there wasn't yet a thread about this yet.

DavidSh

Re: Goodbye Cassini

Postby DavidSh » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:30 pm UTC

I'm expecting tomorrow's comic to be related to this, given previous comics on the fate of other interplanetary probes.

pogrmman

Postby pogrmman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:45 pm UTC

DavidSh wrote:I'm expecting tomorrow's comic to be related to this, given previous comics on the fate of other interplanetary probes.

I'm kind of (really) surprised that it wasn't. I got up about 40 minutes before the end of the mission to drink coffee and watch the livestream, and there was already a new comic up. They're normally not up until later. I wonder if there'll be two comics today (I doubt it though).

Anyway, it was a good mission while it lasted. I'm glad I was alive to see it.

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:50 pm UTC

pogrmman wrote:
DavidSh wrote:I'm expecting tomorrow's comic to be related to this, given previous comics on the fate of other interplanetary probes.

I'm kind of (really) surprised that it wasn't. I got up about 40 minutes before the end of the mission to drink coffee and watch the livestream, and there was already a new comic up. They're normally not up until later. I wonder if there'll be two comics today (I doubt it though).

Anyway, it was a good mission while it lasted. I'm glad I was alive to see it.

I've noticed that Friday comics tend to be early.

Disappointed not to see mention. But if the inspiration hasn't happened, it hasn't happened (I thought something with "Wheeeeeeee!" in it was likely, with some anthropomorphising), or maybe the true commemoration is waiting for "the last data" to be properly published/summarised, first.

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:27 pm UTC

I looked up when the end-of-mission livestream is yesterday and forgot to check it out today. :(
I've been keeping a close eye on the Grand Finale because of my recent interest in the rings of Saturn and I'm kind of sad to see Cassini go. No more beautiful ring photos for the foreseeable future.
Saturn_B_ring_Cassini.jpg
Vertical "structures" on the B ring if I recall correctly. This photo was made near the equinox allowing these structures to cast long shadows on the rest of the rings.
"It's like he's his own alt account. Saves all the logging in and out."/poxic
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Return to “General”