College Football Discussion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Euphonium
Location: in ur bourgeois bosses' union, agitating ur workers

College Football Discussion

Postby Euphonium » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 am UTC

No "hurr durr handegg"-type posts, please. All you're doing is revealing your ignorance of the origin of the term "football" and the likely (though not known for certain) development of all modern football codes which take their name from the fact that they're played on foot.

Is Stanford underrated? Is ND overrated?

I'm going to second the "No "hurr durr handegg"-type posts" request. -ST

cyanyoshi

Re: College Football Discussion

Postby cyanyoshi » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:46 pm UTC

The winner this Saturday should be in a really good position to make a playoff run, since the rest of Notre Dame's quasi-ACC schedule looks like hot garbage this year (so how about that Virginia Tech/Old Dominion game, eh?), and Washington and Cal look like the only other credible threats in the Pac-12 for Stanford. That being said, I'm not having too high hopes for Stanford after it took Oregon basically pooping all over themselves in the second half for the game to even be close. On the other hand, Notre Dame seems to have a bad habit of playing down to the level of their opponents this season like Ball State and Vandy. (Though hilariously, Wake's defensive coordinator was just fired today after getting crushed by Notre Dame 56-27!)

cyanyoshi

Postby cyanyoshi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:28 pm UTC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... 40d647c88d

Well fuck. A player was hospitalized during a game yesterday due to a head injury, and is still in critical condition.

Euphonium

Postby Euphonium » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

Ugh. Hoping for all the best for him.

Something that this made me wonder (and, to be clear, there is nothing to suggest that this was the case with this player, it's just one of those things that gets you thinking off on a tangent)...we know of a lot of promising players who cut their careers short because they discovered they had a medical condition that put them at a massively greater risk of permanent paralysis from an unfortunate hit than most. Probably the example that first comes to mind is Cooper Manning. Of course, Manning comes from an extremely well-off family that had no problem ensuring he could have access to medical care, and so going to a doctor when you notice something's not quite right with your body was a no-brainer for him.

But many football players, particularly (though not exclusively) black players, come from impoverished backgrounds where medical care was essentially a luxury, where you get in the habit of putting stuff off because it might not be that bad so how can you justify the expense? I wonder how many players are, as a result, playing with undiagnosed potentially-catastrophic medical issues.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:35 pm UTC

I think Football right now is in a similar place to Formula One and motorsports in general as back when Jackie Stewart was pushing for improved safety. I see lots of the same kinds of arguments about how making the game safer will somehow 'kill' the sport, and it's up to the players to know their limits and to either accept the risks or get off the field, I think it's gonna be a while yet before that kind of thinking becomes the minority attitude.
At least the safety of the sport is improving, slowly, but improving.

I imagine players with disadvantaged backgrounds having undiagnosed risky conditions is a problem mostly limited to highschool and maybe smaller college teams. larger colleges and professional teams spend a lot on their players, including their health. The bigger concern is what the players do with the information once they have it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Euphonium

Postby Euphonium » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:32 pm UTC

The NCAA requires universities to carry an insurance policy to cover injuries sustained in the course of players' activities (games, practice, weightlifting, etc.) as athletes, although from what I'm able to gather it appears that parents' insurance (if any) is primary.

But that's a different situation from medical issues that arise or develop independently of athletic activities, even if they impact their ability to continue as an athlete.

And that's to say nothing of the cultural incentives against speaking up if you feel something wrong with your body: from a childhood of not saying anything because you knew your family couldn't afford to treat it anyway if it turned out to be nothing, to fear of losing one's spot on the depth chart or scholarship if they're branded "soft," etc.

Trebla

Postby Trebla » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm UTC

Is college football not being talked about much this year? Maybe my memory is faulty, but in recent years I remember almost daily articles (on ESPN's site) for most major teams... even if they were trite and useless... they were still talking about the teams. This year it seems there is significantly less discussion overall. Am I remembering poorly? Is ESPN just crapping out and I should find a better site? Or is there just less overall enthusiasm this year? Or... something else entirely?

thunk

Postby thunk » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:58 pm UTC

College football was once one of the most popular sports in Mexico. That it, until government repression in the 1968 Tlatelolco massacre almost destroyed it.
https://thelab.bleacherreport.com/after ... -football/
Free markets, free movement, free plops
Blitz on, my friends Quantized, GnomeAnne, and iskinner!
troo dat

Return to “General”