Regarding laptop encasement.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Frh

Regarding laptop encasement.

Postby Frh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

I have been searching these here intertubes some method of safely, yet comfortably, yet stylishly, carrying my laptop around for day to day use. A bag, if you will. This search has gone on for far too long, and I was wondering if the good people of these fora could help me out?

Now, the problems which I have run into are as follows:

1) Many bags look bloody ridiculous.
2) Many bags have no space for carrying other things, such as a small folder or textbook.
3) Many bags have the distinctive look of a laptop bag, thus letting anyone who may be watching know that there is a significant chance I have a laptop in said bag.
4) Many bags are disproportionately expensive. Honestly, its a damn bag.
5) I live in the U.K. and it rains. I currently live in Scotland, and it rains loads, so a waterproof bag, or some clever method of waterproofing, would be a bonus.

I was thinking that buying a bag not specifically for laptops, and then altering it might be an idea, but then I remembered that I am awful at sewing. I should probably mention my laptop is a 15.4" juggernaut of processing power.

So, how do you carry your laptop(s) around?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

This is the bag I use (in navy/black).
It is very nice, albeit a bit large.
I rather like it, though. :)

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

My laptop bag is a Targus backpack. it carrys my 15.4" laptop around comfortably with an external hard drive, a couple of textbooks, a mouse, a power adapter, another power adapter, a usb cable, a network cable (for LANs, where wireless would slow down the gaming) a bottle of coke, and a couple of changes of clothes. (long lan party) I dont think its totally waterproof (I wouldnt go chucking it in a lake) but it keeps the rain out completely as long as you remember to close it.

Its also otherwise a very good backpack, padded etc.

The downside is that it cost $80 australian, but its not going to wear out too fast, and it doesnt look like a laptop bag, unless someone recognises the brand...

anyway, I assume targus has a website, check that out?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

If you find a non-laptop bag that you like, there are "laptop sleeves" available. It's kind of like a padded pillowcase that you could put into whatever bag you like. I'll look for a link.

Edit: Like this

My lady has a backpack like that and I agree that it is very useful.
Last edited by MFHodge on Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

zombie_monkey

Re: Regarding laptop encasement.

Postby zombie_monkey » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

Frh wrote:3) Many bags have the distinctive look of a laptop bag, thus letting anyone who may be watching know that there is a significant chance I have a laptop in said bag.
5) I live in the U.K. and it rains. I currently live in Scotland, and it rains loads, so a waterproof bag, or some clever method of waterproofing, would be a bonus.

I have a normal baggy-looking backpack, an improvised wrap for the laptop inside and a raincoat for backpacks that came with a big hiking backpack.
EDIT: Hm, I should get one of those sleeves.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

I have an EMS backpack that includes a laptop sleeve. It also has some straps inside of the main compartment, to securely hold the laptop sleeve. There is plenty of extra space in the backpack, and a few smaller padded pockets. What's really cool is that in the bottom, there is a little zipper compartment that stores a waterproof cover you can pull up over the backpack!

I got it a few years ago, so EMS no longer makes this model. They should have something else that's suitable, though - EMS is always "upgrading" their products. Also, lifetime warranty!

Now, if only I had a laptop to go with this superior backpack...
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Frh

Postby Frh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

People seem to be very much pro backpack, as opposed to messenger bag. Wouldn't moving it around with one 'side' below the other cause more wear on the hinge on that side? I am assuming you can't put the laptop in with the wide side parallel to the bottom of the bag.

I do have one of those sleeves - it came free with the laptop. I would recommended them!

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:49 pm UTC

I don't wear a backpack because I'm not in college and it's suddenly "uncool"

So I usually shove it (gingerly) into my messenger bag along with something soft and a book or two. I also don't take it many places because I'm not going to bring it to work and this realization of my weekly time schedule is suddenly quite depressing.
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

Clerria wrote:I don't wear a backpack because I'm not in college and it's suddenly "uncool"

if you have left college then you are probably old enough now that you will never be cool again anyway, embrace your uncoolness and chose function over form!
Last edited by evilbeanfiend on Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

I carry a backpack around uni all the time, and have done so for the past five years. Uncoolness doesn't faze me, especially when it's far more comfortable to carry my laptop and large technical books in that rather than in an awkward messenger bag. ;)

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:56 pm UTC

I gotta agree with hawk, considering theres no way I could fit all the stuff I mentioned into a messenger bag.

And if you're worried about one hinge getting more wear than the other then like.... dont always put it in the same way? I havent noticed any problems anyway.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

mellow_geek

Postby mellow_geek » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:06 pm UTC

I don't bring my laptop many places either thanks to my work schedule. When I do, though, I switch out between a STM messenger bag if it's just for the day or a backpack if I'm traveling. Take a look at STM, they make great bags that don't necessarily scream "I HAVE A LAPTOP".

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

Actually, I'd second STM, they're pretty comfortable.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:03 pm UTC

http://www.targus.com/uk/product_details.asp?sku=TEB01

That's the one I have. It's handy, fits my laptop and a whole bunch of other stuff, comfortable, doesn't look like a laptop bag per se, so it's a good choice. Downside is that it's pretty big.

Frh

Postby Frh » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

The STM medium evolution looks like it might be a winner... if it weren't for the fact that it is a centimetre too narrow. Anyone know how accurate the measurements given are likely to be?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:19 pm UTC

Pretty accurate. The Medium Cargo 15" exactly fits a 15" Macbook Pro, and it comes with a protective sleeve.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

I would second the sleeve plus alternate backpack idea.

There are more general backpacks then there are laptop-backpacks, thus more selection.

Also, I would recommend splurging a bit on a backpack. Go to a place like REI. Even though the stuff there is probably a bit more expensive, it will last.

For example, the backpack I currently use was purchased for me between 1st through 3rd grade. I am currently a freshman in college.

Another advantage of buying from outdoor-supply people is that waterproofing is important to them as well.
Here is an in-depth guide to choosing a good daypack.
Last edited by Likpok on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

eristic
Mmm, superhero brains! Nom nom nom...

Postby eristic » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Best laptop bag ever! highly recommend (i feel like a spammer)

Booq
Clerria wrote:
eristic wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

Haikus are simple
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

TiberiusM

Postby TiberiusM » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:This is the bag I use (in navy/black).
It is very nice, albeit a bit large.
I rather like it, though. :)

I'm a big fan of Jansports. My current backpack (which I use to carry around my laptop) has lasted me for 9 years, and right up until about 3 months ago, was in great condition, but now after the years of abuse, the zipper pulls are starting to break due to stress fractures. :( Oh well, paperclips are a great fix. Otherwise the pack is in great condition, no holes in the fabric due to wear. Definitely durable, so I'd recommend one, though they are a little pricy for a backpack.

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:45 am UTC

I had the same serious problem when I purchased my new notebook, a 15.4" Toshiba. It woudln't fit the bag I had for my old 12.1" notebook.

I ended up going with an American Tourister bag. I added a little strip of extra foam padding at the bottom of the laptop compartment, just for my own paranoia.

It is a blue ballistic nylon version of this one.

It can carry a ton of other folders and stuff. I reduced my two-bag problem to a single bag. I can carry a 1.5" binder and three or four stuffed files (~1/2"-3/4" each) comfortably with room to spare.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:48 am UTC

eristic wrote:Best laptop bag ever! highly recommend (i feel like a spammer)

Booq

It looks a lot like Axio's hardsleeve. Which looks like:

I use one of these though.

I don't know about cool, but people have asked me if it can fly.

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

I use a briefcase. That way, I look like someone important..like an attorney or something.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

If you want something that looks fantastic and you'll get lots of compliments on (not to mention it'll carry a laptop!), try this. It are amazing.

Link

I'm an ass.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

If you're uncool enough for a backpack, I would recommend your favorite backpack and a laptop sleeve. Inexpensive laptop-holding backpacks are pretty crappy, so you can get a better bag and a padded sleeve for that price or less and have something that won't hurt your back. (I'm short so backpack size is an issue for me)

redthegreat

Postby redthegreat » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:43 pm UTC

I just upgraded from my trusted 12" ibook to a 14" one and obviously my old sleeve is no good. I folded a thin pillow in half and wedged my laptop in that in my bag. Didn't hold much but I can imagine it gave better protection than my sleeve.
Please don't correct my spelling, I am lisdexic and know it is probably wrong.

peter

Postby peter » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:16 am UTC

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:39 am UTC

http://www.sfbags.com/products/sleeveca ... ecases.htm

Those sleeves are pretty expensive, but supposedly they're very good.

Also, I for one like messenger bags. They're easier to get into while you're standing up than backpacks. They have the downside, though, of being kind of uncomfortable.

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:31 am UTC

If you decide to go messenger bag (my premier method) be sure to put the bottom of the laptop towards the back of the bag, so that your ass/back doesn't push down on the monitor. This won't really damage the chassis but you'll probably scuff the screen against the keyboard.

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:43 am UTC

Oh, and the messenger bag that I've used the longest has been:

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=96

and it's very cleverly designed. I will say that it has some signs of distress, after seven months or so, around the straps--but I usually overload it and I walk around a lot. It has pockets and dividers everywhere, and good zipper pouches, and a cool flight ticket slot.

I don't think I'd have selected it myself but AMD was giving them to all the people at the Tunis Tech Days event, and it turns out, I really fucking like it. Woot.

robinberghuys

Postby robinberghuys » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

You guys totally convinced me to get a cool laptop sleeve. Too bad most of them are boring black.

edit: on that note, does anyone know any websites with cool looking and preferably cheap laptop sleeves?

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

robinberghuys wrote:edit: on that note, does anyone know any websites with cool looking and preferably cheap laptop sleeves?

Try this out.

I'm such an ass.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Return to “General”