High and low point of your day

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Melange

Re: High and low point of your day

Postby Melange » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:Anyway, you get a *hug* too. Want to share more about your trouble, or just know someone is out there and paying attention?

No, sharing my trouble would just get me in more trouble. But it means a lot to me that someone is out there and paying attention... sometimes I really feel like no one would give a damn if I just upped and dissappeared.

I'll post a better response to the rest in a bit, I just wanted to say that while I can. (My computer is being a total butt, it's hard to post anything.)

Edit:

Plasma Man wrote:Standard reaction of average person to me telling them that my job involves sticking radioactivity into people is to look slightly worried. In fact, any mention of radiation, radioactivity, anything like that gets a worried look.

Well, I don't really find that worrying, but then, my mother is in the medical field and actually was diagnosed with breast cancer (A BIG problem for the women of Long Island)... so I know that radiation can be used for useful things, like chemotherapy. Really, I find it fascinating that we can use something so dangerous for such amazing things. o.o The fact that you're in that field kind of makes you a superhero, you know?

And maybe your degree wasn't much different from your average physics degree, but it still sounds awesome. And, I mean, particle physics is very much where things are hot right now (What with the LHC and all), so that's pretty killer.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Melange wrote:The fact that you're in that field kind of makes you a superhero, you know?

:oops: Now you've made me feel all embarassed :oops: In my view, you're more of a hero than I am. You might be struggling, but you are carrying on in the face of adversity. That takes courage and determination, so don't feel like you're unimportant. You have good qualities in you, and the world needs more people with those.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Melange

Postby Melange » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Didn't mean to make you feel embarassed, but it's true. :) What you're doing is really amazing.

As for me, I'm no hero, and "carrying on in the face of adversity" isn't courageous. I've got SO many people, important people, people in power, telling me to STFU and go away, to stop trying to make it through. Telling me that it's not courage but mental problems that keep me trying to stand tall. Doesn't seem to me like the world needs more people like that.

Honestly, I really do just want to give up, but it's not in me. I've never been one to give up on what I set my mind to. I always thought that was an admirable quality, though apparently others say it's not...

But now I've entirely derailed the thread, which I'm sure will just bring down even more trouble on me. Sorry...

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

Melange wrote:so I know that radiation can be used for useful things, like chemotherapy.

Minor nitpick here: Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to treat an illness. You're thinking of radiotherapy.

Melange

Postby Melange » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Minor nitpick here: Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to treat an illness. You're thinking of radiotherapy.

Mmm, thank you. Tht's not a minor nitpick, that's a big difference. Like I said, I'm not particularly medically inclined as it usually just squicks me out. The general idea remains, though.

I mean, hell, I'm the girl who came up with the "Theory of the human potato" just to avoid squicky medical things. (Short version: Humans are potatoes. Truth.)

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

I don't know your situation, or why these "important people" would be telling you to STFU and go away. I don't know why they're trying to stop you from standing tall. It doesn't matter. What they say is less important than you being true to yourself.
And I think that tenacity is an admirable trait.

About this being off-topic, don't worry. This is General, which is pretty leniently moderated, plus we are still on the subject of the low point of your day. If anyone will face the wrath of the mods it should be me, as I went off topic talking about my job.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Alone

Postby Alone » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

This post had objectionable content.

If anyone wants to talk to MirrorWing/Cheshire Smile/Melange/me, please e-mail me at WingedDreamer@gmail.com...I could really use a friend, someone to talk to whose only response won\'t be \"meow\". Don\'t bother PMing this account, it\'ll just be banned as soon as they see me again, and it\'s the last one I\'ll actually be posting with.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 pm UTC

High: I've warranted it cold enough to commence hot chocolate season :D
Low: I've developed a strong addiction and have had two cups within the hour XD

High: My best friend is having her birthday party this weekend which is a major plus cos she's had a rather rough month...
Low: >.< I don't have a present for her yet.
Asmodieus wrote:You're a Cullen, Silvyr.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

High: Hot chocolate
low: being so damn tired :(

Good luck finding a birthday present, by the way

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Alone wrote:If anyone wants to talk to MirrorWing/Cheshire Smile/Melange/me, please e-mail me at WingedDreamer@gmail.com...I could really use a friend, someone to talk to whose only response won\'t be \"meow\". Don\'t bother PMing this account, it\'ll just be banned as soon as they see me again, and it\'s the last one I\'ll actually be posting with.

Thank Osiris for that.

And Plasma Man, I believe the important people she refers to are the mdoerators of this here fora who have banned her repeatedly and will continue to ban her every time we find her. Evading bans is not an admirable trait, now fuck off MirrorWing.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Hear, hear

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

Oh my dear sweet Jesse. Always my favorite masked man. It is not her fault, she simply doesn't understand that certain rules apply to her, like "stalking is a bad thing" and "No, the first time we banned you because of that whole being super creepy about the ex and his girlfriend thing, and us not wanting to be an accessory to that shit. Now we're just banning you because we've already banned you, and you came back."

High point of my day and low point of my day are both right now. Cause today a few too many people seem to be taking non-bitchy things I've said as me being a bitch... and I'm painfully hungry (must rectify this, stat). But I'm also kind of high. So it must be a high point!

One of these points may be usurped by tonight's presidential debate. Stay tuned to find out which one!
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Slompstain

Postby Slompstain » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:01 am UTC

Silvyr wrote:High: I've warranted it cold enough to commence hot chocolate season :D
Low: I've developed a strong addiction and have had two cups within the hour XD

Damn you so much, I've started drinking cocoa cause of you. Just as the weather is getting hotter :'(.

High point: Got a few laughs from the presidential debate, ate noodles, and found a beetle.
Low point: I got up and ready to go to uni, but didn't bother going. I have to wash the floors :(.
Crumpets <3.

Plasma Man

Postby Plasma Man » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 am UTC

Ah, it's nice to be back on topic.

Low point of the day so far (it's noon here) is that today is the first day where I haven't seen daylight whilst walking to work. Last week I still saw a gold - pink dawn light on the horizon, but today it just changed from a dark blue to a less dark blue.
High point was also while walking to work. I heard a honk above me, looked up and saw a perfect V of geese flying low over the rooftops, silhouetted black against the deep blue sky. It was awesome.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

high: i woke up to find that my BF had broke into my house and was sleeping with me

low: i'm out of apple juice
ImageImageImageImageImage

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Low point:
Waking up at 5:30 this morning with excruciating pain in my foot. What the fuck.

High point: watching the machines in the construction site across the street chomp up concrete. OM NOM NOM
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:35 am UTC

hai High: Yummy burger for lunch, that I ate during a piss-easy class.

Low: Trying to make myself dinner. First I see some meat in the fridge, so I figure I'll have it with toast. Toast pops, I discover that what looked like a package of meat (which had been there, half-full, just yesterday) is in fact cheese, so now I have useless toast, because I don't want just toast.
Well, no problem, I'll open a can of ham. Ha! No problem indeed. Canned ham can't just come in the standard round cans, oh no. It has to come in these weird oblong cans, that can only be opened with that dumb twisty thing, that will always, always slip out about 5/8 of the way through and leave you with no way to open the can. And you can't just grab the opened part and pull, because it's sharp, and you can't stick anything in there to pry it up, because you're just pushing against squishy meat, and the can is too strong.
So after much smashing, stabbing, hacking at, and prying at various parts of the can, stabbing myself in the hand in the process, by the time I actually get the damn thing open, I'm even hungrier than when I started, and have to make something else anyway because a mere ham sammich won't suffice anymore. :x

Seriously, what the hell is with canned ham, why can't it be in plain old round cans? And who ate the stuff I was going to use in the first place? There was a lot of it.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:19 am UTC

High: I had a Mexican-style tomato and bean mush in the fridge (think refried beans, but the tomatoes at the farmer's market were really good, so I used them all, instead of just one). Its acidity was not nice on my stomach, though, since I've been draining mucous from a persistent infection (that not going away had to do with the firing in my first post in the thread). So, I got the idea to turn it into sambhar (FYI, Indian tomato veggie soup/dipping sauce), since it has a subset of those ingredients. The cumin and pepper flavors posed complications to just adding water and honey (tomato acidity) to make soup out of it. A potato, carrot, some okra, turmeric. ginger, mustard seed, poppy seed, tamarind, more garlic,parsley, and boxed broth later, it's wonderful. I'm ecstatic. I'm currently going through the cycle of, "damn that's good--DAMN that's hot!"

Low: I had plans, but got up at around 6 PM, so missed any chances to enact them. I guess my body needs some rest.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 am UTC

Low: Crazy semi-lucid slept in too late dreams.
High: Got a burrito for lunch.
Low: My circuit didn't work on breadboard. I suspect it's due to high parasitic capacitance, but I'm still reluctant to solder anything. Oh, and it may just be that my meter is broken.
High: Finally got my ex a good birthday gift. *

*This post had objectionable content.

Tjencks

Postby Tjencks » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:57 am UTC

Low: I didn't do much productive today?
High: Almost done with my first term in college - two weeks to go!

Teapot

Postby Teapot » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:21 am UTC

High: We've got a performance of our group inventing pieces today.
Low: I still have no clue when my part comes into the piece :lol:

This could be... interesting.
Jessica wrote:Dammit, teapot is better than everyone else.
Moo wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Localized, non-contagious willy leprosy?
"I'm sorry, sir, it's LNWL. There's nothing we can do".

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

High: Crazy-awesome, super-vivid semi-lucid dreams this morning. In colour! Bright, saturated colour! You don't know how much this means to me.
Low: Slept in, missed the one psychology lesson a week I have with the cool teacher.
High: I had two free lessons and lunch after psychology so I could stay home until fourth.
Low: I played Portal Prelude too long and missed most of fourth lesson >.< I'm not going to school just for an hour of maths.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

High: My dad is here and he's fixing my lawn
Low: intense pain; apparently gall stones.

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

High: Had a great weekend and got to hang out a good bit today.

Low: I intended to do all my homework today so now it's almost 7 and I haven't started any.

Extremely low: I have a severe amount of homework.. like.. multiple page french packet. multiple page pre-calc packet. several french surveys. I still need to MAKE my survey which I was supposed to turn in Friday >.< Studying for a physics test. A psych paper. An article for the paper. I never got an interview or picture for the paper I was supposed to help with. Notes and a page worth of physics problems. Study guide for Brit Lit. *dies* just shoot me now please...

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:43 am UTC

High: Pneumonia finally cleared up!
Low: Because of pneumonia/missing school, I now have to make up three tests and maybe do a lab. All next week.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:40 am UTC

High: We defeated one of the Old Ones tonight. Arkham, Mass is safe again! (Whooo Arkham Horror)
Low: I've developed a half-cough.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:45 am UTC

Low - mom calling my grandmother and getting into an increasingly loud half deaf persons' screaming match, half agitated argument while I waited to say a patient goodbye to my mother, thus causing me to miss my train. ARGH.
High - picnic in Central Park with friends and general outhangage with folks I do not see often enough.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Silvyr

Postby Silvyr » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

high: yay! I got my homework done! and besides the sleeping through a few classes had an absolutely phenomenal day!

Low: My grandma got diagnosed with cancer D:

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

Low: When a whole school class of kids got on the train on the same stop as me, filling all the seats around me, thus ruining my train journey.

High: When they got off at the very next stop. I love taking the train.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:59 am UTC

High: Woo, paper finally done!
Low: That was at four this morning...
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Blinke

Postby Blinke » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:59 pm UTC

High: going to England for 8 days tomorrow, woop! Gonna see Jonathan Coulton Live in London and everything. :D

Low: for once, nothing!

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Low: Listening to the radio this morning, they play a song and ask callers to give the title/artist for some sort of prize like they do every morning...and it took no fewer than five callers to correctly identify "Weird Al" Yankovic's 'White & Nerdy'. Everyone kept guessing 'White & Dirty'...and the first caller actually guessed "Big Al" Yankovic...

High: Duh! They played Weird Al on the radio this morning!
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:18 am UTC

(Not just today's) high: I seem to find myself having a girlfriend :D
low: I suck at deadlines

micco

Postby micco » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:43 am UTC

High: Went to see Diablo, Tracedawn and Perfect Chaos.
Low: My neck hurts.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

suffer-cait
Yes, that's my perfectly normal house cat, why do you ask?

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:12 pm UTC

high: rehearsal was cancled
low: i didn't find out till i got to rehearsal
ImageImageImageImageImage

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Low: Waking up with flu.

High: Smoked Sausage Pizza.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

sleepygamer wrote:Low: Waking up with flu.

High: Smoked Sausage Pizza.
Aw. I thought i had an awesome high point... I want smoke sausage pizza.

My high was buying and playing rockband

My low is realizing that I have been here for 6 hours... and I am only half way through my shift.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

leslieseviltwin

Postby leslieseviltwin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:30 pm UTC

High point: catching up on xkcd's.

Low point: being late to meet someone who doesn't have a cell phone, waiting for the bus in the rain, finally getting on the bus which promptly breaks down, waiting 15 minutes for the next bus (this last bit would have been amusing if i weren't going to be an hour late to meet my friend.)

High point: eating a wrap with chocolate chips (I'll give you the recipe sometime,) signing up for the xkcd forum, being told by someone's signature in binary to "Be sure to eat your bacon."

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

High Point- Reading Leslie's evil twin post finding a binary translator. Thanks Leslie! I have a little research to do.

Low- nothing new

Lolsaur

Postby Lolsaur » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:58 am UTC

High; Being with TEAPOT!!! I've missed her so much. :D

Low: I can't actually think of one. Maybe the lack of Cheerios when I got up this morning?

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Worst Fight Scene Ever

This cosy, special made for this Teapot

Spoiler:
You've never looked better than you did that night
And your eyes have never looked so blue
And when we kissed it was like nothing else existed
As time stood still for me and you

Return to “General”