Your relationship status?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What is your relationship status? (relationship meaning married, going out with someone, engaged, whatever...)

In a relationship -- [I'm] Male
21%
In a relationship -- Female
11%
Single -- Male
53%
Single -- Female
10%
Other - Male
4%
Other- Female
1%

Total votes: 402

__Kit

Re: Your relationship status?

Postby __Kit » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:01 am UTC

CaraInFrames wrote:Ahhhhhh, he just called me his "friend". WTF?

And Kit, don't let the world boss you about!

O right, world/ her boyfriend. Yeah it seems all the good girls are taken.
=]

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

A duderino out of an "it's complicated" to in a relationship (cohabiting).
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

So how's this for weird

dating for 9 months, very much in love, open relationship, and alleged 'commitment phobia' I don't know about you, but when I see a couple who's been together for 9 months, the concept of commitment phobia seems to have been conquered in my opinion.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

Whoa, that's a lot of single guys. I didn't quite expect that...
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

I like the term 'swingle', but it doesn't really apply to me.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm UTC

My relationship status is: There is a cute girl I'm interested in.

zingmaster wrote:Whoa, that's a lot of single guys. I didn't quite expect that...

On an internet message board about math, science and computers? Really?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

Hey, some of us romantics are single as well.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 am UTC

Jesster wrote:Hey, some of us romantics are single as well.

Obviously. I mean... Your custom title reads "supports breasts" :P

As for myself? Happily taken, over two year long relationship... And I'm male.

Eleyras

Postby Eleyras » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:31 am UTC

It's complicated, but I'm taken, I don't want another relationship or anything.

What's interesting is the taken female:single female ratio. I know in my WoW guild, that ratio is really high - we have maybe one single female! But here, it's about 1, maybe a little more. Hmmm.
At some point, I will remember to sig quotes I find amusing or something.

...once I stop laughing.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:33 am UTC

i need to change my status...
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:46 am UTC

Relationship Status: Single, but incredibly awesome.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Realationship status: Complicated, I guess single but not entirely...
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

Relationship status: Single and willing to anything* to pay for my rent :p

*May not be willing to do anything.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Single* and kind of happy**?

*But being pursued by someone that I honestly have no interest in and can't take hints. Talk about frustrating. :roll:
**I would be happier except for the aforementioned situation. *sigh* Stupid boys.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

Single, but going to meet a rather pretty boy for coffee on Thursday.

To be honest, being single has never worried me too much. I've got friends, and family. Partners? Meh. They're a bonus, but I'm fine without. If anything, it makes me more stressed to have one.

ElvisTCB

Postby ElvisTCB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:19 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:Single* and kind of happy**?

*But being pursued by someone that I honestly have no interest in and can't take hints. Talk about frustrating. :roll:
**I would be happier except for the aforementioned situation. *sigh* Stupid boys.

Oh come on... chicks dig guys chasing after them. If you are not interested in him, then why not tell him so in no uncertain terms? Or just admit that it feels good to have such power!

I suck at taking hints...... a swift kick in the nuts to indicate my attention was unwanted could have saved me a lot of heartache in my life
so there I was

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:10 am UTC

ElvisTCB wrote:Oh come on... chicks dig guys chasing after them. If you are not interested in him, then why not tell him so in no uncertain terms? Or just admit that it feels good to have such power!

I'm sorry, what? That is a *horrible* generalization. Maybe the ladies in *your* life enjoy having guys chasing after them, but I, in fact, do not. Not when it is one of my best guy friends and I'm not supposed to know he likes me. Not when a lot of friendships hang on me letting him down easily. Not when... umm... I'm uh, not going to go into this in detail in public. It is, suffice it to say, a bad situation to be in. If you are curious to know more, you may PM me, but I do not want to spew out the details of my life here. That is not what this is for.

To be honest, I'm a bit offended that you think I enjoy having "such power" and "dig guys chasing after [me]".

...Apparently I'm a whore. :roll:

EDIT: I'm sorry that you feel the women in your life are like that, but rest assured, not all of us are.

ElvisTCB

Postby ElvisTCB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:19 am UTC

my apologies, I was being a smartass and did not intend to ruffle your feathers

the "whore" comment caught me off guard - the thought never entered my mind.
so there I was

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:31 am UTC

ElvisTCB wrote:my apologies, I was being a smartass and did not intend to ruffle your feathers

the "whore" comment caught me off guard - the thought never entered my mind.

No, it's alright. I was a fair bit bitchy about that, but it is *quite* a touchy subject and I am ready to explode with annoyed-ness. :(

It is not your fault. I'm sorry for taking it out on you.

(Also, I know that's not what you were implying, but that is what my "friends" have been implying since I won't do anything about the situation... because they know so much about what is going on in my life... :/)

ElvisTCB

Postby ElvisTCB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:02 am UTC

cool! - glad we got that straight!

I have found that "friends" come and go throughout life and that the rough spots along the way show you who your real friends are.
so there I was

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:06 am UTC

Relationship Status: Can anybody find me... somebody to love? <3
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

ElvisTCB wrote:Oh come on... chicks dig guys chasing after them. If you are not interested in him, then why not tell him so in no uncertain terms? Or just admit that it feels good to have such power!

Your comment made me giggle as a friend and I were discussing this the other day. I'm single (as mentioned above) and yet do have a couple of "potentials" however I don't actually want to date them, they're not my kind of guy at all and yet I'm still civil to them and maybe (though not really deliberately) lead them on. Why? Because I hate being nasty to people, so I just chat to them quite friendly and they take it to mean more but also I like to still be reminded that I am attractive (call it teenage lack of confidence if you like). So it's not so much power but the compliment...

On a shallow note: It's all about the power baby :wink:
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Re:

Postby Seven » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:lol...I wonder what the male-to-female ratio is on this forum...
:shock: Hardly any wimminz on the Internets. I are one (single, not looking).

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:31 pm UTC

Male, in a very happy relationship since april 30th.

thefiddler wrote:Single* and kind of happy**?
being pursued by someone that I honestly have no interest in and can't take hints.

of course he take a hint. He's a guy. We don't understand woman. Just plainly say "Hi, I don't like you. (optional, you're a nice friend, but you'll never ever be my boyfriend.)"
He won't feel hurt, he'll be happy so he can go for another girl.

Ok, that's not completely true, he won't be happy. but he'll be happier in the end.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:[...] but also I like to still be reminded that I am attractive (call it teenage lack of confidence if you like). So it's not so much power but the compliment...

On a shallow note: It's all about the power baby :wink:

Ooh, I do this. It's not very nice, but it's fun (and flattering), and I do make a point of bringing up the boyfriend at some point.
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

When I have a boyfriend, I sort of cease to look at any other guys. I am just naturally very monogamous. If I get hit on, I immediately let them know I'm not available...but I still think it's kind of nice when I get winked at once in a while (whether or not I have a boyfriend) or someone asks for my number. Ego boosts are nice. Assuming they aren't creepy.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

Alcari wrote:He's a guy. We don't understand woman.

Speak for yourself, guy. I don't claim to completely understand anyone, but hints like never reciprocating advances or flirty comments or whatever are really not all that hard to decrypt, if you're the sort of person who has enough social skill to actually pay attention to someone else's actions.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

Delalyra wrote:
Squeak wrote:Ooh, I do this. It's not very nice, but it's fun (and flattering), and I do make a point of bringing up the boyfriend at some point.

Yea, I hated having to do that to this one guy. He'd been so friendly and flirty and then I just had to say "Look I'm really sorry but I have a boyfriend" and he just sort of went "oh" and wandered off, which I felt was a shame because he seemed a really nice guy.

That reminded me, on the same night I saw a guy with a t-shirt that said "Sorry ladies, I'm gay". Maybe I should create a t-shirt similar for the next time I have a boyfriend...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Yea, I hated having to do that to this one guy. He'd been so friendly and flirty and then I just had to say "Look I'm really sorry but I have a boyfriend" and he just sort of went "oh" and wandered off, which I felt was a shame because he seemed a really nice guy.

Do you think this was just because he no longer wanted to talk to you if you were unavailable, or perhaps because he took your comment to mean you weren't really comfortable with the flirtation? Because I'm sometimes jokingly flirty with female friends who have boyfriends, even when the boyfriend is actually there in the room, just because it's fun to banter like that. But if it weren't someone I knew very well (and if we pretend for a second that I've ever been flirty with someone I didn't know very well), her saying she had a boyfriend would probably be taken as a nicer way of saying she wanted me to stop. (Rather than merely clarifying so I didn't get the wrong impression of the possible consequences.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Squeak wrote:Yea, I hated having to do that to this one guy. He'd been so friendly and flirty and then I just had to say "Look I'm really sorry but I have a boyfriend" and he just sort of went "oh" and wandered off, which I felt was a shame because he seemed a really nice guy.

Do you think this was just because he no longer wanted to talk to you if you were unavailable, or perhaps because he took your comment to mean you weren't really comfortable with the flirtation? Because I'm sometimes jokingly flirty with female friends who have boyfriends, even when the boyfriend is actually there in the room, just because it's fun to banter like that. But if it weren't someone I knew very well (and if we pretend for a second that I've ever been flirty with someone I didn't know very well), her saying she had a boyfriend would probably be taken as a nicer way of saying she wanted me to stop. (Rather than merely clarifying so I didn't get the wrong impression of the possible consequences.)

As a girl, I'd take that the same way. It's so difficult to know what to say sometimes.
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

loratwopointone wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:

As a girl, I'd take that the same way. It's so difficult to know what to say sometimes.

Especially since too many people would be somewhat driven off by my saying something lengthier, like, "Just so you know, I have a girlfriend. Which isn't to say I mind harmless flirtation, just that I don't want either of us to have false expectations of where this might go."
---

(he/him/his)

Grincement

Postby Grincement » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:

This was an obvious being chatted up situation (at a bar in fact) so I guess he just wasn't looking to make friends. Which always slightly annoys me, if I'm not available then I'm suddenly not worth getting to know?

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

then you have those guys that you make it CLEAR you have a boyfriend but are interested in friends and they still pursue you. *facedesk* in situations like this i hold out til they give up and accept just friendship, or give up and go away. i kind of hate it when the latter happens, but honestly it makes my life easier... *mumble* =(

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

tiny

Postby tiny » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

I'm taken, for nearly 5.5 years now.
It's still my first relationship, and a happy one, so I'm rather proud and very very thankful.
My SO is just... he's great. And soooo patient o.o'
"I write what I see, the endless procession to the guillotine." ~ de Sade

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Alcari wrote:He's a guy. We don't understand woman.

(...) if you're the sort of person who has enough social skill to actually pay attention to someone else's actions.

Ahh, that might be the problem...
I pay atention, I just rarely understood people. Well, I understand people, it's the individuals that are hard. I only notice subtle signals when i'm really, really trying hard. And just noticing them is no assurance of understanding.

My girlfriend has luckily gotten used it and simply has "No honey" instead of giving the usual array of subtle female hint

squeek wrote:if I'm not available then I'm suddenly not worth getting to know?

I would say the problem is on his end, not yours.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

Alcari wrote:
squeek wrote:if I'm not available then I'm suddenly not worth getting to know?

I would say the problem is on his end, not yours.

Agreed. Sadly enough, that's the take a lot of guys (in my neck of the woods, at least) have on it. Friends can't be girls and girls can't be just friends. Which is sad, because I don't like girls mostly. Girls are catty and mean and ... I just don't like them. So I have to seek out boys who are chill enough to be just friends without wanting it to be more and that's a lot of work. Moral of the Story: Guys, do not be assholes because a girl is involved with someone. That's not nice.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.

j&r-bffl

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

I'm engaged to the girl I've been with for the past 3 years.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:57 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:This was an obvious being chatted up situation (at a bar in fact) so I guess he just wasn't looking to make friends. Which always slightly annoys me, if I'm not available then I'm suddenly not worth getting to know?

To play devil's advocate for a moment...if this is at a bar, I wouldn't expect much else, and not just because I'm cynical about men. Having a meaningful conversation in many bars is pretty much outright impossible, so people who are looking to make friends go elsewhere. (I'm not sure where that is just yet, but I hear the internet is where the young kids hang out these days.)

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

Very confused.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

MindTheGap

Postby MindTheGap » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:35 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Very confused.

Join the club.

Return to “General”