Halloween is coming! (horrible franken-thread)

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

German Sausage
3 of 5

Re: Halloween is coming!

Postby German Sausage » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:53 am UTC

ok. two plans.
1- an iranian transvestiste. my mum has a burqua somewhere from her time in afghanistan, and if she ever finds it, i am totally wearing that.
2- a deckchair from the titanic. basically, i make myself a suit out of deckchair material and glue some deckchair-type bits of wood to the arms and legs.

or, if i can find enough large pipes and tubes, i will go as the internet. because it is a series of tubes.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

If we can get ourselves together, my brother and a few friends are going to be going to a Halloween party as the classic FF1 party: I'm Black Mage, my brother is Fighter, my best friend is Red Mage, and a friend of his has agreed to be White Mage. This does of course give me an excuse to quote 8-Bit Theater.

Post scriptem: 100th poast! Woo!
All is well. We are not like the others.

Awezing

Postby Awezing » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:32 pm UTC

i'm going to be link.

i've got the whole costume figured out, except i have no clue where to get pirate boots (link has very pirate-esque boots).

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Another idea- Susan from Discworld. The few people who get it will be entertained, at least. I'm still up in the air about this one because I want something that's more fun to make. Maybe if make my own glowing blue scythe.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

I think I'll go as Mary Stouffer. Then when someone asks me who I am, I can say, "I'm Marty Stouffer, and this is Wild America! *plays theme music*"

I'll have to find it as a ring tone, or something. I hope my beard will get bushy enough.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Iroh from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Probably not, actually, since I'm way too lazy to either buy a costume or make one myself. But if I was going to bother to dress up, I would be Iroh because...well. Iroh.

I miss my trick-or-treating days. Much fun to be had. (Okay, maybe I really just miss the free candy. :()
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Malsies

Postby Malsies » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Last year, one of my friends was Boxy Brown from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Very easy costume. Only thing is, you need a tape recorder so that you can play funky music every time you talk.
I slice, I dice, and I fit comfortably into your pocket or glove-box!

(Order in the next ten minutes, and get a second for FREE!)

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:01 am UTC

A few ideas spring to mind

I could:

slightly cut my hair and use the monotonous Napoleon Dynamite idea I've used the last year or so for fancy dress...

Cut off ALL my hair...I mean, shave it bald...get a full on black smart suit, pale myself up and be Voldemort...

Death....simple...

Be a zombie....^_^

go full on crazy and be the Joker....I did it once...it was amazing... (I love that man :mrgreen:)

or nothing....

[I could also use the night to go on a murdering spree...Who's gonna look for a normally dressed person first when the town is full of people dressed as murderers and the like? :D]
Last edited by Stief on Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby apricity » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:06 am UTC

German Sausage wrote:or, if i can find enough large pipes and tubes, i will go as the internet. because it is a series of tubes.

I like that idea. Why not just gather a ton of toilet paper and paper towel tubes and duct tape them all together?
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:14 am UTC

Malsies wrote:Last year, one of my friends was Boxy Brown from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Very easy costume. Only thing is, you need a tape recorder so that you can play funky music every time you talk.

you might talk to Okita about that one.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:20 am UTC

lanicita wrote:
German Sausage wrote:or, if i can find enough large pipes and tubes, i will go as the internet. because it is a series of tubes.

I like that idea. Why not just gather a ton of toilet paper and paper towel tubes and duct tape them all together?

well, a friend of mine is a plumber, so i might be able to get a few PVC pipes that are big enough to put on around thighs and stuff.
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
TMT4L

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:23 am UTC

if you have access to that kind of material just make a Megaman costume and take lots of pictures.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

alkatmsu

Postby alkatmsu » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:25 am UTC

yellie wrote:
alkatmsu wrote:I'm going as Shaun. I've already got everything I need for the costume... red tie, black slacks/shoes, white shirt... and of course, a cricket bat that I've damaged, stained, and applied red paint to. I still need to finish the bat (the handle needs to be black) and bloody up the shirt, and it'll be finished!

(Intro thread!!)

Good man though, dressing as Shaun. :D Are you going to go ginger like Simon did?

No, I'm keeping my normal hair color, dark brown (almost black). I am growing out a goatee for the first time in my life though.

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:55 am UTC

I think it might be fun to get a bunch of friends together and create some sort of Science-based Captain Planet Team. Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering... and, of course, Psychology would be heart. =P.

I have no idea what "Captain Science" would look like, though.
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

noparenthesis

Postby noparenthesis » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:16 am UTC

I'm going as a pirate. Not terribly original, I know, but I haven't done it before and I already had the hat.

To all those teenagers who are complaining about missing trick-or-treating or not having anything to do on Halloween: for shame! I trick-or-treated up to and including my 18th Halloween, and the only reason I stopped is because I left home and have either been unable to dress up or without sufficiently cool people to trick-or-treat with since then. This year it's either a party or trick-or-treating. Probably the first, because my boots, while the epitome of awesomesauce, are not practical for walking very far.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've only dressed up for one Halloween since then. I was the Engrish Fairy a couple of years ago.
"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."
--Jane Austen

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:11 am UTC

I haven't done halloween in a while, but I helped my sister make a traffic cone costume. That was pretty awesome.

Water

Postby Water » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Before last year, I hadn't gotten dressed up in... four years? Anyway, last year was just the boring black robe and black cloth mask with plastic scythe giving out candy. This year, though, inspiration has struck!

I'm going to get a long hair blonde wig, some kind of very poofy pink polka dot shirt, a tu-tu, fake boobs, and put on a whole bunch of makeup to look like a horror movie doll of some kind. With that look, I'll be walking around the neighbourhood giving people asparagus.

Weird, I know. :D
Last edited by Water on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Signature under construction.
Estimated completion time: October 2013.
Estimated cost: $3.1 billion.

williamager

Postby williamager » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:27 am UTC

noparenthesis wrote:I'm going as a pirate. Not terribly original, I know, but I haven't done it before and I already had the hat.

To all those teenagers who are complaining about missing trick-or-treating or not having anything to do on Halloween: for shame! I trick-or-treated up to and including my 18th Halloween, and the only reason I stopped is because I left home and have either been unable to dress up or without sufficiently cool people to trick-or-treat with since then. This year it's either a party or trick-or-treating. Probably the first, because my boots, while the epitome of awesomesauce, are not practical for walking very far.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've only dressed up for one Halloween since then. I was the Engrish Fairy a couple of years ago.

I stopped going because the lack of people who figured out my costumes was terribly depressing (and partially because my family's home, where I always spend Halloween, is in a neighbourhood of recluses living far apart from each other behind gates and long drives, but that alone isn't sufficient reason!). The last time I went out, a few years ago, it was as Dorian Gray. Out of every person I saw that night, in a crowded, bustling neighbourhood, a single person recognised the costume, despite it being rather obvious (I was carrying a horrible portrait specially made for the costume), and that person was an English teacher...

If I went again, I'm not sure what I would be. If I had a large group of people and a considerable amount of time, it would be fun to go as The Modern Major General's Mind: apart from the Major-General, we could have King Arthur, Sir Caradoc, Heliogabalus, a frog from The Frogs (βρεκεκεκεξ κοαξ κοαξ!), someone from Pinafore, and of course, a nebulous form with a sign labelled "commissariat".
Last edited by williamager on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Do I dare
Disturb the universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Re:

Postby sillybear25 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

Malsies wrote:I either want to be Spawn or Quail Man. I haven't decided.

Quail Man would be a lot easier. But really, I'm obsessed with the idea of making a Spawn costume. If only I could find a full black leather jumpsuit in my size at a thrift store. I know that's asking a lot.

Someone at my school went as Quail Man, and did a really good job of it (not that that's hard, really...)
This space intentionally left blank.

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:57 am UTC

Hrm. Upon further thought, going as one of the Endless (even though I haven't read all the Sandman comics yet) could be fun, but I don't particularly feel like dying my hair black...

Two more that popped into my head while I was asleep (literally, my dream self stopped in the middle of the dream as two awesome costume ideas occured to *him* are..

One of the Ganados from RE4: perhaps a modified "Headless zombie" costume coupled with some sort of giant, rubber-plastic centipede sticking out the top. Maybe even with a removable head?

And:
Corvax, from the Muzzy videos. The only problem is that I don't think anyone would know who this was. I'm not sure why I still even *remember* those things, I watched them in Gradeschool! Once!
"What can the harvest hope for, but for the care of the reaper man?" -Death, from Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Re:

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:41 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Or the classic.

*sees a person not in a costume*
"What are you?"
"I'm a serial killer. We look like everyone else."

"That's a pretty lame Halloween costume."
"Halloween?"
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

German Sausage
3 of 5

Re: Re:

Postby German Sausage » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:30 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:

"What are you?"

"Halloween?"

i like you. you are a good person.
TMT4L

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:16 pm UTC

I'm gonna be a Battle Royale student. It's easy and I get to carry around a weapon! (Not sure which one to carry though. I own both a fake gun and some nunchucks. I'd rather not use a realistic gun or a blade for scare-the-public reasons, so maybe I'll just go with a pot lid...)

TiberiusM

Re: Re:

Postby TiberiusM » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:

"What are you?"

"Halloween?"

I never dressed up for Halloween in school. Invariably I was asked one day by a girl in my calc class why I wasn't dressed up. When she asked this, the entire class fell silent, including the teacher (as I normally had a very surly demeanor, and everyone seemed to want my answer). I looked her square in the eye and said "What're you talking about, I'm dressed as the Sexiest Man Alive"

I got laughed at :( By the entire class, including the teacher. I didn't know whether to be sad for not being taken seriously, or happy my joke went over so well.

I still used that as my answer for whenever someone asks me why I'm not dressed up, but it seems to have lost some of its charm.

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

Hey, I'm new... My plan for Halloween is a Jabborwocky hunter. I figure I can have an element of dork-ines and still get to wear a slutty leather costume and carry loads of weaponry. This is liberating, I no longer feel like a stalker for lurking on this forum endlessly.
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

Breakdancer or Ringo? Breakdancing Ringo. Blast the Grey Album in your boombox and bust a move.

I'm sort of going to be a scarecrow. I don't have a costume, but I made a scarecrow that looks kind of like me. I'll set it up in my front yard for when the kids come around. It's my first Hallowe'en in this neighborhood, and I don't know many people here yet, so they probably won't get it until I open the door. The downside is, it's not something I can do outside my house, unless I feel like carting a scarecrow around, which I don't.

My other idea was to booby trap my front yard. I'd put the pedal from an old ghostbusters toy trap under one of the flag stones in my front walk and bury the cable. When someone stepped on the stone, the trap would open in the yard, flip a lego onto a mouse trap, which would launch something flying through the air. The something would have a long cloth tail to cover the trap when it was on the ground. Unfortunately, when I visited my parents this weekend, I couldn't find the trap, and it doesn't appear to be in my house, either.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Severus Severance

Postby Severus Severance » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

I'm going as my NaNoWriMo character cosplaying a mad scientist who's cosplaying a "normal". Supposedly in honor of NaNo starting the following day, but well, mad scientists! Dressed as normal people! What could go wrong?

blind visionary

Postby blind visionary » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:46 pm UTC

Me and my friend want to dress up as pac-man and a ghost and have one chase around the other during lunch at school, and in between a couple classes too. We're just not sure how to do it.
They needs to be collapsible (or at least fit in car trunks), easy/cheap enough to make, and we probably need to be able to take them off during classes. Anybody got ideas?

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:12 pm UTC

well, bumpgrrl beat me to the punch and explained our costumes (i'm sooooooo excited about the swords!!)

but i just wanted to second her opinion that Halloween is the best holiday ever. completely better than Christmas!! i honestly can't remember the last Halloween that i *didn't* get dressed up... i'm not sure there's ever actually been one! mind you, next to bumpgrrl, my costumes can tend to look a little second class (not so much when i'm actually dressing up with her, but definitely when we're just going out together!) NOBODY does Halloween like she does!! she's my hero... :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

xooll

Postby xooll » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:52 am UTC

My current costume idea: "Villain"
This will involve a tailcoat, a top hat, and a markered-on handlebar moustache.
Apart from the marker, I have none of these things, so I may have to change my mind.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Felgraf

Postby Felgraf » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Ah! I have it! ... I know that this is my third post in the thread, but I've realized an awesome costume to work towards. =)

I shall be Jareth, the Goblin King from Labyrinth.

Now I just need to find a very shiny blue coat...

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:27 am UTC

Jacque and I are thinking about Westley and Buttercup. But I don't look very much like Buttercup.

What the hell can I actually pull off? Ideas?
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Pesto

I need help with my Halloween costume

Postby Pesto » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

I'm thinking of going as Marty Stouffer for Halloween. To complete the costume I need some type of gadget that I can use to play back the theme song to Wild America. I'm not a gadgety person, so assume I don't have anything readily available lying around that can be used. I'm willing to spend some money, but try to keep it cheap.

The reason I need (yes, need) this is so that when someone asks me who I am, I can say "I'm Marty Stouffer, and this is Wild America! *plays theme song*".

Flying Betty

Re: I need help with my Halloween costume

Postby Flying Betty » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Get a cheap portable CD player and strap it your body somewhere where the play button is kind of accessible. Either use headphones or get a set of portable speakers, turn the volume up, and stash them on your body as well. You might want to rig up some sort of shield so that you can only press the play button, or just take the other buttons off and attach something to the play button so that you can hit a big area and have it play (perhaps make it bumpable by your elbow or something equally subtle).
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Grlmm
Would like to buy a vowel

Postby Grlmm » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:18 pm UTC

I'm going as myself. I'm going to walk around, and people will be like "Hey, what are you supposed to be for Halloween?"

And I'll be like "A mugger bitch, now gimme your candy."

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Get a friend (a bitch) to sing it.
=]

B.C.

Postby B.C. » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

I'm going to be Apathetic this Halloween.
Oh look I'm already in costume.

aerojad
Wall O' AWESOME

Postby aerojad » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

Go as a PS3, scare the crap out of parents.

Oort

Postby Oort » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:10 am UTC

I'm (probably) going as V, from V for Vendetta.

Likpok

Postby Likpok » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:52 am UTC

We're nerds. This is like slashdot. No one ever reads the first post. Either that, or they don't care.

Also, if you're handy with a soldering iron, you might be wire a button so that you can hold a button in your hand.

I don't know how easy that is. Or how feasible.
There's an art to cooking toast
Never try to guess
Cook it till it's smoking
Then twenty seconds less.

Return to “General”