Thrift Store Finds

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fragsta

Re: Thrift Store Finds

Postby fragsta » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Copy of Douglas Adams' Mostly Harmless, £1.99.

Haven't bought any clothes from charity shops before, they're usually too big for me :(

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

I bought Naked Lunch at a thrift store for a quarter.

I didn't like it.

koalabäh

Postby koalabäh » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:07 am UTC

I think you'd have to be pretty disturbed to like Naked Lunch.
Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

ascendingPig

Postby ascendingPig » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:23 am UTC

I found a hardcover copy of Godel, Escher, Bach at a church sale for $1.

Same place, I bought a bunch of insanely comfy clothes from some famous designer. Normally they would all be in the 3-to-4-digits territory, but everything was about $5 at the sale.

That very weekend, I had played D&D with that same designer's son. I swear to God, it was like fate or something.

I was a rogue. I rolled a natural twenty and a natural nineteen while stabbing with two daggers in an attack at one point. Not that you needed to know, but you see that I'm not just a dork. I'm a dork with mad skillz.
"Many facts can fill an empty head."
-- Karl Kraus

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:52 am UTC

ascendingPig wrote:I found a hardcover copy of Godel, Escher, Bach at a church sale for $1.

Same place, I bought a bunch of insanely comfy clothes from some famous designer. Normally they would all be in the 3-to-4-digits territory, but everything was about $5 at the sale.

That very weekend, I had played D&D with that same designer's son. I swear to God, it was like fate or something.

I was a rogue. I rolled a natural twenty and a natural nineteen while stabbing with two daggers in an attack at one point. Not that you needed to know, but you see that I'm not just a dork. I'm a dork with mad skillz.

That might be my favourite post ever. Every part rocks so much.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

ascendingPig wrote:I'm not just a dork. I'm a dork with mad skillz.

I HAVE to sig that. Not sure why, but I do. So it's sig'd.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

ascendingPig wrote:I found a hardcover copy of Godel, Escher, Bach at a church sale for $1.
That does rock. GEB is fun. I need to buy another copy because I don't know where mine went.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

[necro]

Decided to do a bit of thrifting yesterday. The second-hand clothes store I mentioned a couple of years ago had since closed down, but there's another one just a few feet closer to home. Went in there yesterday and found these:

http://www.nunnbush.com/shop-nb/shoes/d ... 84154.html

I had always wanted a pair of nice dress shoes for when the occasion called for it, and it seemed like these were here for me. They were in my size, 10½ (US), wide width, and had very little wear on them. Didn't see a price at first, except one that had been written on the inside. $6.50. I thought that was a fairly good bargain for used shoes. Went to the counter to purchase, and imagine my surprise when they said they were having a 50%-off sale. So I only paid $3.47 (including tax) for the shoes. Looked at the name on the inside and the underside of the shoes. Didn't recognize the name. Off to the Internet! I did a search, expecting the brand to no longer be around, but lo was I surprised. I then did a bit of further research, expecting these to be the worst. shoes. EVAR, only to find they were the best. shoes. EVAR. I was even more shocked when I saw the price range for these shoes: $75 if straight from the manufacturer, $80-100 if purchased at any retailer. Quite possibly one of the best deals I'd ever gotten from a thrift store, yard sale, or flea market.

After I got home, I went to Wal-Mart to get some stuff to shine the shoes with. I thought I had a shoeshine kit, but couldn't remember what it contained. I just bought the cloths and applicator sponges, thinking if I needed anything else, I'd go back for it. Luckily I still had a can of black polish, an applicator sponge, and the brush. Needed the cloths, though. Already shined them once yesterday and am currently in the process of giving them another shine today. I may wear them to work this week to help them conform to my feet, although when I tried them on yesterday, they felt like I had owned them a long time ago, and I'd just found them tucked away in a trunk or box in the closet. Sort of like meeting someone new, but yet you feel like you've known them a long time.

[/necro]
PRG

An important message for you:

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Thank you for this Necro. I'm going to take pictures of all the amazing things I've found (for under $15 TOTAL) in the past month, later.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Not A Llama

Postby Not A Llama » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:05 pm UTC

I found a Le Creuset casserole dish for $5. Tons for high-end kids clothes for 50c each, like MEC snowsuits with tags still on. I do a lot of thrift shopping. Especially for the kids because they often outgrow stuff before they wear it out.

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Hot damn! I didn't know that this thread existed. There is nothing, nothing I love more than an afternoon trawling around charity/thrift stores, looking for proverbial gold. Followed by tea and cake in a nice little teashop. Yes, i'm aware that makes me sound like an old lady, thank you very much.

Anyway, my best buys over the years have been these so far:

The sturdiest, bright red umbrella ever. It's medium sized (golf umbrellas in crowded streets = douchey) and somehow defies the elements - £1.50
Real leather, tan brown satchel. My current baby - £7
60's Black and red tartan jumper dress. Scandalously short - £1
Brown tartan mini-skirt - £1
Mustard yellow peacoat - £7. Admittedly this is too big for me, which is a shame.
Countless fiction books and t-shirts which individually haven't come to more than £3.

My dream is to find some sort of amazing vintage Chanel coat/bag/shoes hidden away somewhere. And when I get my own place, i'm going to scour charity shops to find some nice old furniture and photo frames. Take that, Ikea.
i dare you to take me on...

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:23 am UTC

tin wrote:There is nothing, nothing I love more than an afternoon trawling around charity/thrift stores, looking for proverbial gold. Followed by tea and cake in a nice little teashop.

Take me with you? I don't get to go thrifting near as often as I'd like, due in part to not having any space for anything. I tell you, once I have room, there's going to be some awesome going on... that is, if others don't fill it up with cool old glassware and vintage sewing machines first :D

My last thrifting finds were actually at a used bookstore. I walked out of there with two books on C programming, a 70's Reader's Digest hardcover guide to thirty or forty different crafts, and Windows 3.1 for Dummies. (Spoiler'd for irrelevance.)
Spoiler:
See, when I was little, my dad got me into computers. One of my Christmas gifts at the tender age of seven or so was the Windows 3.1 for Dummies book. It was one of my favorite books, along with the Upgrading and Fixing PCs for Dummies book we had. They were great... funny writing, comics with references I didn't understand, and an overall reading level that fit my young geeky mind. The books were later destroyed in a tragic and catastrophic event, so I was a little bit thrilled to run across another copy. Confused the heck out of my husband, but, hey...

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

I've been meaning to rummage through the local Goodwill since I moved to the area I'm currently in, but I don't seem to have the time.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

Probably my best score was a pair of JBL speakers. They were asking $40 but I didn't have that and shyly offered $20. When I got home I looked them up on fleabay and they were selling used for $120 a pair. (This was from a church sale.)

Also scored my red dress from the Humane Society for $1. The best part about that dress is that not only do I look fabulous in it, but it's a stretchy material that I can actually run in. :) (Here's some more information on why I'd be running in a red dress.)

Costumes, obviously... We had a disco-themed party and I had a knock-out costume for that. I rarely find anything really cool in my size, but I always can find the ridiculous and useless stuff of costuming.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

tin wrote:And when I get my own place, i'm going to scour charity shops to find some nice old furniture and photo frames. Take that, Ikea.

Soon after I got my flat, there was a charity auction just around the corner. I picked up a herb rack, two beauraux, one of which has a glass-fronted set of shelves above it, a set of nesting tables, a box full of assorted glasses, some games, a snooker table, some shelves and four chairs, all for about £30. It was an awesome day.
Last edited by Plasma Man on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

reishka

Postby reishka » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Oh man.

I bought a bookshelf. I was in desperate need of a bookshelf - my books were infesting my DVD rack, my closet space, my dresser -- I had stakcs upon stakcs of books ALL OVER MY APARTMENT. It was driving me batty.

So we found one, for $5. It was great! And then it got poached. So I looked around some more, and found a hutch-top. It was in horrible condition; the varnish was peeling and it was just all gross. But it too, was $5. So I nabbed it, brought it home and spent a week stripping and staining the thing. It still needs a coat of poly, but the weather's too cold to poly it - it'll never set, so it'll have to wait until spring. But right now, it houses a good portion of my books.

I also found an awesome coffee table there for 25. We brought it home and I converted it into a kotatsu table. It looks fabulous!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 am UTC

I e-mailed the company about my shoes, and while they don't repair them, they did give me some information. The style is called "Washington", and they made them from 2001 to 2007. So, it's a discontinued out-of-style shoe. I. Don't. CARE. As long as it looks good, feels good, and was reasonably priced (VERY reasonable, in this case...can't beat $4 for $75 shoes), I didn't care. Wore them to work today, and they were the most comfortable shoes I'd ever had. I think they will be promoted from "special occasions" to "work" in no time flat. My New Balance shoes are looking a bit ratty, so I may bag them and toss them in the donation bin at the Wal-Mart parking lot, and use the $35 Dr. Scholl's I just bought a week ago as home shoes.
PRG

Zeroignite
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Zeroignite » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:35 am UTC

According to people I trust, I need better clothes. To pursue that goal, we went to a used clothing store last night.
Spoiler:

Jacket was $16, great condition.
Awesome koi shirt was about $5.
Pants were $30. Now, that's actually kinda expensive, but they're seriously high quality. The pants are wool hounds tooth, have a royal purple lining that feels like silk, and fit perfectly. Not only that, but they still had the original tags-- retail price was $125.
She/her/hers
Avatar sketched by Hazel / drawn by Amii

stylish_chick

Postby stylish_chick » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

fragsta wrote:Copy of Douglas Adams' Mostly Harmless, £1.99.

Haven't bought any clothes from charity shops before, they're usually too big for me :(

Same thing for me. I just get disappointed whenever I find something I really like and it doesn't fit me. So I usually end up buying just bags.
Fashion is general. Style is individual

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

I've gotten some good stuff from the Salvation Army store, most recently a 30 inch telescope for $9 . It's got 4mm and 12mm lenses, a secondary scope with crosshairs for alignment, and a few attachments I haven't figured out yet.

I also have good luck at yard sales and finding stuff by the side of the road. I found a Sony stereo system w/5 disc CD changer, two large speakers and a subwoofer by the dumpster at my old apartment. I found a 19 inch TV and computer with XP driving home from work a couple years ago. The PC only lasted a year, but the TV still works.

One thing I missed was an upright piano left by the side of the road. I saw it driving home from work one day, and figured I'd ask my supervisor if I could borrow his pickup truck. Unfortunately, it rained very hard, which warped the wood. The piano fell over, and eventually whoever lived there broke it into pieces. It wasn't a total loss, since I salvaged most of the keys and started making things out of them. Pics spoilered for size

Spoiler:

The second pic if of fake wind chimes. Real wind chimes are metal tubes sized to be different notes. These are wooden keys representing different notes.

I did get a piano for $50 at a yard sale a while back. I paid an extra $16, the rest of the money I had on me, to hire the seller and his friends to move it to my place. It sounded great in my apartment. However, when I bought my house, I put it in the family room downstairs, and the humidity has been hurting it. I have space for it in an upstairs room, but I'm not sure if it will fit down the hallway. I traced an outline of the piano on a cardboard box and tried maneuvring that. If I remove the wheels, and slide it on its side, it should navigate the turn down the hall.

This summer I got a couch at a yard sale for $10, and the guy delivered it for free. It's comfortable, but I just painted that room purple, and haven't put the pictures and other decorations back up yet, so they're on the couch completely covering it.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

hack124x768

Postby hack124x768 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

1981 DBX db-sw15 15 inch subwoofer. $10 (Pounds the house)
1886 fischer 120x2 watt home amplifier $3 (Powers said pounding)
Aiwa 8 inch powered subwoofer $10 (In use by a musician friend)
JBL 2x6 inch subwoofer $10 (In use by 18 year old brother)
Apple wired mighty mouse $3 (For laptop)
Pentium 4 3ghz HT 1gb ram 2x80gb drives $15 (sold for $200)
Logitech G11 keyboard $10 (For room mate)
Saitek Eclipse keyboard $4 (Gaming/spare keyboard)
IBM model M with trackpoint (PS/2) $4 (Oh my god 60wpm sounds amazing...)

I get a lot of fun equipment. :)
"They must find it difficult... Those that have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as the authority." - Gerald Massey

JoeyJo0

Postby JoeyJo0 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:33 pm UTC

The thrift store in my town is actually the 'old people store'.

Seriously, only old people go there. And most of it is crap too.

We DO have an annual 'garage' sale where everyone puts up a small stand and attempts to sell junk. At the end of each day(3 days in total), there's a dumpster which people fill with stuff they couldn't sell. I love diving into that, but so does every 10-year-old there(atleast they don't take the good stuff) and my parents don't like either.

Found a (working) Logitech WingMan Rumblepad gamepad in there, as well as a book about programming. Oh, and a shitload of 9V adapters, which I never have enough of.
Ell (to Hintss) wrote:No, you can't see who has foed you. Be glad, because the list would probably be long enough to give you carpal tunnel if you tried to scroll through it.

Snowflake

Postby Snowflake » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:42 pm UTC

Some of these sound good. I should check out some thrift stores around here. It seems like an economical alternative to spending loads of cash at overpriced businesses with greedy salespeople.
Death is permission to open freely as love.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:12 am UTC

Snowflake wrote:Some of these sound good. I should check out some thrift stores around here. It seems like an economical alternative to spending loads of cash at overpriced businesses with greedy salespeople.

What with the U.S. economy and the world economy as a whole being worse than shit right now, I think more and more people are discovering the wonder that is the local thrift store/charity shop. Most people have been of the opinion that thrift stores are for people who have little to no money, and everything in there is either near the end of its tether, or very old and outdated. Clothing would be all ratty, and out of style. Some clothing would actually date itself, like a shirt advertising the 2001 World Series or Super Bowl XXX. Books would consist of series no one cares about reading anymore, or encyclopedia sets that don't mention the Korean War, or Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks dating back to the 60s and 70s.

On the contrary, you will find a lot of stuff still in good working order, and for the most part only a few years old, so you'd still be able to use them. With clothing, while there is some that would be outdated, there's also a lot that would never go out of style. While what I had mentioned above can be true about most thrift stores; many are becoming more picky about what goes in and what doesn't.

I have seen many desktop PCs in one of the thrift stores near me, most of them towers, and all of them quite possibly upgradeable. One thing I'm looking for is a laptop, so I'll try to keep my eyes peeled for that. As long as it was manufactured within the last 5 years, it should handle Windows XP. Might have to do some hardware upgrades if I plan to upgrade to Windows 7 on it, but at least I'll have more control over what's in it and what's not, than if I bought one at a local electronics store or Wal-Mart, or online through the PC's website.
PRG

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:23 am UTC

With regard to old PCs, remember that Linux will run on just about anything. Support for legacy hardware is really good.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 am UTC

A book of proverbs by Ching Chow which I found amusing/nice.
A shirt that said 'That's bull' and had a picture of a bulldog on it.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:49 am UTC

Nigh everything I own is from one thriftstore or another, and I find amazing stuff. Almost all of my clothes, my leather dance shoes, my leather waistcoat, all but one of my suits, a truly remarkable stash of books, a crossbow, cookware, silver, milk crates, a giant plate glass mirror, an accordion, and so very much more.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

Necroing to ask if anybody knows if there's such a think as a Thrift Store/Used Stuff Store Chain? As in, other than Goodwill. My local Goodwill is pretty awesome, but at some point the fact that everything is in one huuuge jumble (they sort by color, sort of) gets annoying.

Also, if anybody lives in/near San Antonio, HALP I want thrifty stores!
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Dave_Wise

Postby Dave_Wise » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

A pith helmet. You know, like you see them wearing in those old photos from the boer war?
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.

OBrien

Postby OBrien » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

I work in a vintage clothes shop (which is apparently a lot less expensive in England: Unless it's something that was a limited edition, or a mint condition handbag, we charge less than it would have been new, usually around 25% of the price) and with my staff discount I can get practically unworn Lees and Wranglers for £6 and I have a real, black snake skin wallet with a brass money clip instead of a pouch for the notes for £1.
I also found a tee shirt with the picture of Napoleon Dynamite's liger on it and "It's pretty much my favourite animal ever" under it ion the £3 rail. My supervisor bought it straight away.
Spelling and grammar can go screw themselves.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Cathy wrote:Necroing to ask if anybody knows if there's such a think as a Thrift Store/Used Stuff Store Chain? As in, other than Goodwill. My local Goodwill is pretty awesome, but at some point the fact that everything is in one huuuge jumble (they sort by color, sort of) gets annoying.

I think basically Goodwill and Salvation Army are the only ones.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

A Chicago Bears jersey (the good kind, not the cheap fake-jersey stuff they sell at Walmart) for $2.35.

Also, a Blackhawks jersey (not quite the good kind, but not cheap either) for $4.95...about four days after they won the Cup. Really? Someone was obviously one heck of a bandwagoner.

A whole bunch of board games and stuff, too. My best haul was probably $200 worth of Magic cards for $30.
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

I know a lass who found a 1920's silver fox fur coat for £40, the charity shop was totally unaware it was real fur (and a very rare fur at that). I envy her somewhat.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:15 am UTC

This suit, which costs less than the cigar I am smoking:
Spoiler:
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:19 pm UTC

Today I picked up a rather nice moleskin jacket for just £4. It really suits me and I'm very happy with it. Earlier on in the week, I picked up a triple pack of Godzilla films for £1. I'm going to get some beers and sit down to watch one of them soon, give myself an evening of trashy fun.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

femtometer

Postby femtometer » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:28 am UTC

Cathy wrote:Necroing to ask if anybody knows if there's such a think as a Thrift Store/Used Stuff Store Chain? As in, other than Goodwill. My local Goodwill is pretty awesome, but at some point the fact that everything is in one huuuge jumble (they sort by color, sort of) gets annoying.

Goodwill and Salvation Army are the big ones, there's also Plato's Closet too.

A quick google search turns up a few. You could also do a search for consignment stores, second hand stores, etc.

Edited to add my own finds:
This dress I found for $5 at a Goodwill, it's pretty amazing, I wish I had more occasions to wear it. It's Saks Fifth Avenue, probably from the 60's / 70's?

I got this dress at a consignment shop, it was $60 but I HAD to have it. Not really thrifty, but still second hand.

Cathy

Postby Cathy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

Well why didn't I think of that! Google wins the day!

I got a shirt at Goodwill today that says "Keep It Simple Stupid" on the front - from now on I'm going to wear it when working on CS projects. To remind myself. I also got a nice linen sundress (lined and spaghetti straps) just as summer has ended... Every year...
Amie wrote:Cathy, I now declare you to be an awesome person, by the powers vested in me by nobody, really.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

Dustin

Postby Dustin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Everything in my house. save my computer, food, and brita water filtration system, I bought at a thrift store where I worked. The desk, the mini-fridge, the tables, this chair (knocks on chair) all my clothing and the hangers, my bed and the mattress, the pillows, the rugs, the works.

I think I spent like $375 on it all combined or so. I have really shitty clothing because I just bought whatever was on sale and that tended to be clothing no one wanted to buy. But my boyfriend doesn't care, he'd rather see me out of my clothes really.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531308
My little vision of the future

Return to “General”