Making the world a weirder place

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DaMullet

Re: Making the world a weirder place

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:15 am UTC

For those who haven't seen it, that serial could be the start of 1000 gallons of primo weird. For those who have, it will be 1000 gallons of primo win. Either way, I need to find some costumes, stat.
Will wrote:Andrew Jackson was all kinds of badass.

SecondTalon wrote:Out in the wasteland
Driving cars of rusted steel
oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Aylology

Postby Aylology » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:31 pm UTC

DaMullet wrote:I'd like to get a full ensemble like The Doc's, and get someone buffer than I am to dress like Captain Hammer, and reenact scenes (especially the musical numbers) in public.

Dude, if I saw this happening while I walked down the street, it would make my freakin' week. Seriously, I fully endorse this! You need someone to play Penny, :P

Also, something I've been meaning to do: Print off some atheist literature, and following around evangelists, and as soon as they get the door shut on them, knocking and handing my stuff out. Just follow them around a neighborhood negating.

It would just be weird for the person who's door was being knocked on, though... since the evangelists wouldn't have a clue what you were doing, would they?

In that vein, I'd love to print off some literature on paganism and witchcraft and have it ready for when Jehova's Witness', etc., come knocking, and when they begin to launch into their spiel, I turn it around on them and launch into my own. :P If it weren't for the fact that preaching goes against pretty much every principle in paganism, I'd totally do it. It would be pretty funny.
Ayla!
----
"There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Elliot Trudeau (1919-2000)

Shakleton

Postby Shakleton » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:24 pm UTC

Before you read this: Yes, I love the Food court Musical (might be needed for reference)

I am still looking for a group who would go to the mall with me, pretend to be unrelated customers in various shops.
Then, somebody who we would name Charlie would say something: "Aw man, this is just shit. I'm missing my next appointment, tomorrow is going to suck donkey balls and I still haven't made my tax report" or something like that.
Me, standing right next to him but facing the other side would spin around and start singing while somebody else would flip a switch to play the karaoke-version of "Put a banana in your ear" from Charlie the Unicorn 2.

The whole team would than break into song ( we need at least 10 people! ) and perform a complex dancing routine around charlie and sing the song.

When the song is done, we would quickly disperse and go to the next crowd.

LYRICS: (watch the prequel and the movie itself to understand the joke)

Charlie, you look quite down.
With your big fat eyes,
and your big fat frown.
The world doesn't have
to be so gray.
Charlie, when your life's a mess,
when your feeling blue,
always in distress.
I know what can wash
that sad away.
All you have to do is,
put a banana in your ear.
(A banana in my ear?)
Put a ripe banana right
into your favorite ear.
It's true (says who?)
So true, once it's in
your gloom will disappear.
The bad in the world is
hard to hear, When in
your ear a banana cheers,
so go and put a banana
in your ear.
Put a banana in your ear,
(I'd rather keep my ear clear!)
You'll never be happy if you
live your life in fear.
It's true, (says you!),
so true, when it's in the
skies are bright and clear.
Oh every day of every year,
The sun shines bright on
this big blue sphere,
so go and put a banana
in your eaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr!
mikekearn wrote:You even have an appropriate shirt. Excellent.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Aylology wrote:
Also, something I've been meaning to do: Print off some atheist literature, and following around evangelists, and as soon as they get the door shut on them, knocking and handing my stuff out. Just follow them around a neighborhood negating.

It would just be weird for the person who's door was being knocked on, though... since the evangelists wouldn't have a clue what you were doing, would they?

It would only be weird for the guy in the house, yes, but it would be weird for every guy in every house. The evangelists wouldn't know, but they'd canvass the entire street before they figured it out.

Even better, but harder to plan, get a bunch of friends, each with their own literature for a different religion, get a train of 5 or 6 people going.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:HACKS ARE STING OUR SYLLES AND SING THEM TO TERRISTS!

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Just recently I've acquired a light PVC didgeridoo. I can already play one but now that I've got a light one that's easily transportable, I can confuse the crap out of people with it. I play it while waiting for the bus.
Marbas wrote:I'll usually jump from one strange thought to the next, such gems as: "I wonder if bears get depressed", "I think the sun is unnecessarily smug" and so on.

0range

i just madd the world a wierder place.

Postby 0range » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:34 am UTC

Listen. I apologize for typos.

My co-workers are always trying to get me to go out to the bars with them. Tonight was this gals birthday, so I agreed.

Backstory: I am a good looking SOB, but I don't know when is when. Err...so. I was on the dancefloor., but I wait until way too long. (the busboy came out and I had to drink him under the table) I can do backflips, 360 handstand and a bunch of sick looking moves. I am a dancefloor hoe. But my problem; I was a nerd,. and I can't do it until I get my nerve up, which takes long of drinking.

I went up to this one gal, and I told her nothing but the truth and she didn't belive me. This angered me, and I went and did couple backflips to make her believe me. Naturally, she thought I was crazy, So, after I get rejected, I lleave.

I hate losing. It's a character flaw. So, I make my own game up.

Game: Ambush someone.

I am a nice person; I even use semicolons when necessary despite not being able to properly see. If I so chose, I can hurt someone badly, especially if they're not expecting it . Being a nice person, I decide the game is to slap someone on the ass and get away with i, as opposed to doing some things that occured to me but were more mean and more llikey to get me landed in jail with assault charges. I crouch in the bushes, .about six blocks away from the club/bar. After thirty minutes (probably more like ten, but it feels like a long time) I see a group of drunks walk by. To my shame, one of the gals spots me in the bushes.

It is hilarious for me to see someone spot me in the bushes ands have their friends be too drunk to be concerned. She looks at me, I wave. She is freaking out (naturally, some dude sitting serenely in the bushes waving at you at 3:00 is creepy - this is not my aim.) I wait for them to go out of sight, then gather myself, and sprint after them.

I must have done a good job, because nobody screamed or anything, until I ran past this guy and SLAPPED him on the ass as hard as I could (he was tying his shoes). The universe was conspiring to allow me to gain some shred of self-confidence because it was too perfect. So, I slap this guy and run off laughing maniacally.

Well, screams follow me, along with one of his friends, whom I lead on a merry three block chase. Eventually I left him behind a fence I had hopped - I ducked behind a bush and he kept running. I ducked into a bush and splashed myself with twigs and dirt which I just washed off.

I have spent the last hour eluding people and at least one police cruiser (I'm not sure if they were the people who I 'ambushed' or just homeowners investigating noise outside of their homes).

Anyway. The point is that the world is what you make of it, and I made more fun for myself in the last hour than I had the entire night at the bar. Also, being silent is hard.

Make of it what you will.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

Phases
Sport

Re: i just madd the world a wierder place.

Postby Phases » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:52 am UTC

Well that was a nice pick-me-up at 6:50am.

And - Being silent IS hard. Did you have gas?
Every forum should have a Phases.

Image I'm resurrecting my little stick comic, SSP, check him out!

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:14 pm UTC

No, YOU listen.

[/tumbleweed]
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

0range

Postby 0range » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Phases wrote:Well that was a nice pick-me-up at 6:50am.

And - Being silent IS hard.

It really is.

Also, sorry to whichever mod had to move this here. I was all impressed with myself that I'd gotten rid of all the red squiggly typo lines but I guess I was still an idiot.
"A person who persists in believing what is not true or disbelieving what is true can waste a lifetime of effort on something that is without hope of success."

E. Jayne

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Haha, that's awesome. My guy friends have a game where the aim is to slap someone across the face and not have them slap you back. If you succeed, you get a point. There's no real end to it, though.

We also made up a sport called Nookball which was awesome, and we actually got a lot of people involved. The only problem was that it was played in the hall of our high school and the teachers thought we were going to break their precious plastic pop machine. >=/
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

The Hyphenator

Postby The Hyphenator » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

My friends and I sometimes play the "declare random things" game (no real name for it). You just find something around you and declare that to do something. Like:

"I play brick wall, giving me +5 mana and Defensive Shield level 2!"

"But I negate that with pencil sharpener, which invokes the Pencil of Doom law, which activates a -5 mana drain per turn and allows me to get to Mornington Crescent in two turns!"

etc.
The image link changes whenever I find a new cool website.
Spoiler:

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:03 pm UTC

I hope no-one minds me trying to recruit co-conspirators for a little mischief-making some friends of mine are up to? If you're interested in some very simple, yet hopefully high-yield fun, then please check out this link for further details.

Its really just a bizzare letter writing campaign, writ-large, but the more the merrier!
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

...is "con man" a social class?

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Mercurius wrote:I hope no-one minds me trying to recruit co-conspirators for a little mischief-making some friends of mine are up to? If you're interested in some very simple, yet hopefully high-yield fun, then please check out this link for further details.

Its really just a bizzare letter writing campaign, writ-large, but the more the merrier!

So it has been commanded, ad so it shall be. Signed up.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Girdot

Postby Girdot » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I was on a field trip to a local college at some point or another in my sophomore year and while I was there I sang "I Can Show You the World" to anyone who would listen.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:15 am UTC

@ Mercurius: So should I just write up a letter now, and you guys will send me the addresses later? Or am I missing something?
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

Mercat

Postby Mercat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:42 am UTC

The Hyphenator wrote:But I negate that with pencil sharpener, which invokes the Pencil of Doom law, which activates a -5 mana drain per turn and allows me to get to Mornington Crescent in two turns!

i see what you did there
HEEEEAAAAATHUUUUUUUS

If you need to get a hold of me I'd recomment just PMing me, as I come and go in phases, it seems.

semper ubi sub ubi

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:18 am UTC

Ramses IV wrote:@ Mercurius: So should I just write up a letter now, and you guys will send me the addresses later? Or am I missing something?

I believe so. I'm not a USAian so I havent paid much attention to the logistics of the operation, merely promoting it. But I think St Mae at Discordian.com will send an email with all the necessary details in a week or two, detailing addresses and the town in question.
You know, I'm not really sure what "socioeconomic class" I am. I'm richer than my parents, I don't have a real job, and my mannerisms tend to match up with whomever I'm talking to.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:50 pm UTC

I see. and have the letter ready by then? Okay.

EDIR: Okay, that's too short of a post and I have more to say. I think I should get ideas from xkcd itself for the product. I'm thinking about doing the classhole thing "Instead of office chair, pacakge contained Bobcat. Would not buy again." But in a more wordy and eloquent type of way. But that's a blatant rip-off from the comic. So I dunno, what product do you guys suggest?
Last edited by Ramses IV on Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
My Blag

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

The kick off date is August 23rd, so don't worry, you have plenty of time..

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:45 am UTC

I'm learning to crochet, so I can have a different, unique hat for each day of the week once school starts.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

souldelay

Postby souldelay » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:51 am UTC

DaMullet wrote:I'm learning to crochet, so I can have a different, unique hat for each day of the week once school starts.

Uh, won't your hats stop being unique after the first week?

just saying..

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

No... They won't stop being unique until someone makes a duplicate... They won't be NEW after the first week, but unique != new.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

Duckspeak

Postby Duckspeak » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

I play the Bryan Adams game, which we made up at my old school. What you do is start a conversation with a (preferably opposite gender) person, then midway through the conversation, start reciting the lyrics to "Everything I do, I do for you":
"Look into my eyes, you will see,
What you mean to me" etc. with a perfectly straight face, and see how far you can get before she/he realises. If you make it to the chorus, you have to start singing as loudly as humanly possible to them. This also works with the Pokemon theme tune and many more, be creative!

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

I sort of have this impulse to print out posters of "news" and stick them in public places. You know, something with a headline like:

"RUSSIA INVADES SWEDEN
European Union declares war"

or

"POWER LINES FOUND TO CAUSE AIDS IN CHILDREN"

And have a false article to back it up. Then hide somewhere and see if anyone reads it. Hell, you could make it a competition between friends for who could put a stack of fake articles in the boldest spot possible without it being immediately noticed. A checkout counter would be a good place, but it would be great to put a fake medical headline on the reception counter of a medical facility (dentist, clinic, etc).

JET73L

Postby JET73L » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:36 am UTC

I'm trying to plan a stunt at the university, for the beginning of next semester, where we chalk different scenes from video games in a pixellated grid. A Galaga scene on a great perfect north-south stretch of sidewalk, a battle scene from Zelda2: The Adventure of Link on a short, wide east-west path, and a Jumpman scene in an absolutely perfect set of tiles in front of the library, where there are paralell lines going NW/SE, and lines going SW/NE for one block in different places, then the SW/NE lines connecting and encapsulating a large area. I can do the Jumpman scene on my own, but it;s going to take several dozen people to get all of the sidewalks before we get chased away, as well as large amounts of black or dark blue chalk if we decide to fill in the background on the Galaga walk.

(I've got other ideas, such as the game with the two cliff tops and the mobile cannons, but they aren;t as pixellated and would require definite participation from the art club members I hope to contact. I may plan for the Pokemon RBY Bicycle Road for a wide stretch of sidewalk occasionally broken up by strips of brick.)

(PS: if anyone attends the UCM with the Mo mascot, and has chalk, extensive free time, or connections to gaming or art clubs there, please don;t hesitate to send a message on the forum PM system.)
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Aylology

Postby Aylology » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

How's this for weird (among other things)?
Ayla!
----
"There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Elliot Trudeau (1919-2000)

Mercurius

Postby Mercurius » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:48 pm UTC

This is a good one from Ji Lee. Its not very wierd, but its unconventional social activism and adbusting, so it counts in my book.

I'll just quote directly from The Pirate's Dilemma, where I read it:

Korea-born Ji Lee was always influenced by graffiti, first in São Paulo, Brazil, where he grew up, and then in New York, where he studied design and fine art. He was hired by ad agency Saatchi & Saatchi after designing a 3-D alphabet, but after a successful four years in the business, he was becoming agitated. “I was frustrated by these boring and often offensive to our intelligence ads all over the street,” he explains. “I felt I needed to do something to change this back somehow.” Lee printed twenty thousand blank speech bubble stickers, sticking them up on advertisements everywhere he went. A few days later, he would go back and photograph the results.

Passersby had quickly replaced targeted corporate messages with a bevy of political, social, and personal commentaries, humorous or otherwise. Through the speech bubble, a hipster’s silhouette in an iPod ad now informs you “I steal music, and I’m not going away!” An impossibly smiley loving couple on a private health-care ad ask themselves, “Why doesn’t the government insure our health?” “What country would Jesus bomb?” asks a cartoon villain from a Grand Theft Auto poster.

DaMullet

Postby DaMullet » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:01 am UTC

That's pretty excellent.

oh, look. Burma Shave.

mat-tina

Postby mat-tina » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Weird letters: http://www.brevtillutlandet.se/btu.html (click on "Provläs boken" to read some English excerpts from the book).

The same guy also made a book of his collection of what Rippy suggested, made by cut'n'pasting together old news posters.
Example:

Code: Select all

TWELVE CHILDREN
 GAVE  BIRTH TO
 EIGHT CHILDREN
    LOST
 FOUR CHILDREN
Felltir wrote:has no sig, and therefore something to hide
GENERATION n: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. If n is an even number, divide it by 2. If it's odd, multiply it by 3 and add 1. Prove that this sequence converges to 1 for all n.

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

I only realized last night that a friend of mine and I have been doing this for several months now. We say things to each other as if they're inside jokes just to confuse the people around us.
多么现在棕色母牛?

Kartoffelkopf

Postby Kartoffelkopf » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Well, in a random bout of boredom during my driver's training class, I decided to plant a series of notes in the driving book they lend us. They're little squares of paper, one every few pages, that say the following (more or less):

"Exciting, isn't it?" (commenting on the exciting nature of the driving tips)
"Has he shown you the video of the drunk people yet?" (one video shows the effects of inebriation on driving skill, and they interview the intoxicated people before the test)
"I wonder who you are." (semi xkcd rip-off)
"Jimmy was a chemist's son
But Jimmy is no more;
What Jimmy thought was H2O
Was H2SO4"
"I'd like to think this won't fall on the ground and be forgotten."
"Be the trouble you want to see in the world" (total A Softer World rip-off)

And the last one is accompanied by about a dozen blank squares of paper. Thoughts? I'm considering a couple things. The first is attempting to completely transcribe Ozymandias onto a single square (they're only maybe 5cm2). The second is adding my email address to the last [non-blank] square, or alternatively the xkcd or A Softer World URL.

Tomorrow's the last day, so I only have tonight to accept any suggestions.

pkuky

Postby pkuky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

after succeccfully eating (half by myself, half by feeding to others) half the food in this year's prom before it actually started, I formulated a plant to steal all of it next year before anyone eats any of it. however, I'd probably be noticed if I stole all the food, and I have sucky friends who wouldn't help me with it, or with most anything wierd.
It rains on the enemy too!

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:40 am UTC

In the airport, someone was staring at me and my two friends my two friends and I (?) so I persuaded them to look at their books then on the count of three look up and stare harder at her.

She [i]grinned[\i]. WTF
Wait. With a SPOON?!

benjhuey

Postby benjhuey » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Kartoffelkopf wrote:http://www.dbooth.net/internerd/dynamic_internerd.cfm?id=4

That's quite a list. I haven;t read the whole thing, but I do identify with numero quatro, as I would indeed name my dog "Dog" (or possibly "Cat").
多么现在棕色母牛?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

Geekthras wrote:In the airport, someone was staring at me and my two friends my two friends and I (?)

GRRRRR!!!

I hate it when people "correct" this.

"I" is only appropriate as the subject of a sentence - elsewhere, "me" is correct.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

It's not about grammar, it's about politeness. When you use "me", you're placing yourself in front of other people. Or at least that's the explanation I was given.

Whether or not using 'I' is gramatically correct, I don't know. Just sayin'.

RedWolf

Postby RedWolf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:39 am UTC

I've always been told that if it makes sense when you take out "my friends," then its correct.
Thus: "staring at me" vs "staring at I"

On a completely unrelated note, I endorsed xkcd yesterday at my brother's house by drawing Black Hat Man on his whiteboard and next to it writing "xkcd.com, a webcomic of sarcasm, math, and language." Not sure if thats making the world a weirder place or just free advertising...

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:48 am UTC

Rippy wrote:It's not about grammar, it's about politeness.

It is ALWAYS about grammar.

When you use "me", you're placing yourself in front of other people.

No. You are using a pronoun to refer to yourself as the object in a sentence.

Or at least that's the explanation I was given.

THEY were WRONG.

Whether or not using 'I' is gramatically correct, I don't know.

Fix that.

/nazi
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:01 am UTC

The way this evolved is very clear: For a while anyone who started a sentence with "Me and my brother ... [did something etc]" was corrected to "My brother and I", and people who were corrected took away the wrong lesson from it because the actual rule was never explained to them.

As for the made-up "putting yourself first" explanation - what's wrong with "my friends and me"?

Return to “General”