Get your Autumn on

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Aleril
Le Rail

Re: Get your Autumn on

Postby Aleril » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

sethicus wrote:
Cai wrote:Autumn is my favorite season. It is just the right temperature (usually, thanks global warming!) and the leave are falling and pretty and everything is just dandy.

I prefer spring. I'm quite involved in photography, and while I find a certain beautiful glory in the autumn scenes, I much prefer the vibrancy of spring.

Although Spring is nice, I find it sometimes to be a bit bland, as all the pictures that are taken during those times are of the same flowers, and that gets boring after a while.

But all in all I find all Seasons to have their own personality, nature wise.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. You're not required to buy gifts for everyone you've ever met, it's not religious, and there's lots of good food. My take on Thanksgiving is that it's all about spending time with those you care about.

It's probably one of mine as well, for those reasons. Plus, in addition to spending time with those you care about, it's about giving thanks for what you have, which is always something I can get behind.

I will be at home this year, which is nice, because I've missed the last two. In 2005, I was in the Australian Outback on a trip that did have three other Americans, but no particular drive to make something with turkey or share what we were thankful for or anything. We basically just commented on how "oh, tomorrow's Thanksgiving, isn't it? We should totally have turkey or something." (I spent that Christmas on a boat in the Whitsundays. But that was different, because everyone I was with was also away from home for a major holiday, so it was lots of fun.) Last year, I was in Mexico. I didn't even know when Turkey Day was until a few days later, when it figured in my dad's explanation of why he hadn't yet had any opportunity to transfer me some money so I could buy a plane ticket home for Christmas.

I also think fall is by far my favorite season, which is why this one is nice, even without much color changing. (The summer here was really dry, so the colors aren't so brilliant as they sometimes are.) I've missed the last two, first by spending fall in a country where it was actually spring, and then by spending it so slightly into the northern hemisphere that seasonal temperature changes were pretty minimal year-round.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:30 am UTC

Autumn here is a bit disappointing. It rains. And rains. And rains, so that you give thanks to mighty Cuthulhu for sending something different...

Summer is so much better.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

Delalyra - incredible photos. Thanks for posting them.

Thanksgiving - not being American, I've never celebarated it. But any holiday where you get to eat all that delicious food, no commercial pressure for presents is involved, and yes, it actually encourages you to think about what you have to be thankful for... awesome.

Hey, bigglesworth - you living in the same British Empire I am? It's been sunny in England's south for over a whole WEEK!

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Thanksgiving - not being American, I've never celebarated it. But any holiday where you get to eat all that delicious food, no commercial pressure for presents is involved, and yes, it actually encourages you to think about what you have to be thankful for... awesome.

That's why I like the way Chinese families celebrate holidays. Basically any holiday, American or Chinese, is an excuse to consume ridiculously large amounts of food in one evening. Tasty.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:45 pm UTC

Oh man, you just reminded me. I haven't been to a Chinese New Year celebration in two and a bit years. Hopefully someone posts something about it in February.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Oh man, you just reminded me. I haven't been to a Chinese New Year celebration in two and a bit years. Hopefully someone posts something about it in February.

My ex-husband and I had one back when we first separated (before going public). It was spectacular! We had red wine glasses (got them for less than a buck each) and red lights strung on the balcony and tons of other stuff. I still have the paper lanterns up in the guest bathroom.

A Chinese New Year party is a great way to beat the post-holiday chilly-weather blues.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Ptera

Postby Ptera » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:11 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
dubsola wrote:Thanksgiving - not being American, I've never celebarated it. But any holiday where you get to eat all that delicious food, no commercial pressure for presents is involved, and yes, it actually encourages you to think about what you have to be thankful for... awesome.

That's why I like the way Chinese families celebrate holidays. Basically any holiday, American or Chinese, is an excuse to consume ridiculously large amounts of food in one evening. Tasty.

My family is mostly German-American, and we do this too. Maybe it's cause I grew up in the midwest. If you don't have ridiculously huge piles of food left over after everyone has gorged themselves, you didn't make enough. :D

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:28 pm UTC

Halloween rocks, if only for college parties filled with scantily clad women (but not for dudes dressed like huge cocks, what is with that?).
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:My ex-husband and I had one back when we first separated (before going public). It was spectacular! We had red wine glasses (got them for less than a buck each) and red lights strung on the balcony and tons of other stuff. I still have the paper lanterns up in the guest bathroom. A Chinese New Year party is a great way to beat the post-holiday chilly-weather blues.
I was actually thinking of the festival they had every year in my hometown, with Chinese food, dragon dancing and lots of little random things, however a self-made party would also be great - assuming you had access to some good chinese food!

d33p
Happy Fun Ball

Postby d33p » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

I live in upstate New York, next to the Pennsylvania border - actually grew up in rural NEPA - and every year my extended family has a hayride. Aunts, uncles, cousins, neices, nephews, all pile into a giant wagon full of haybales and Grandpa tows us all over our hometown, relating family history and town landmarks.
Kind of like a massive carriage tour, except relevant to your own family. Always look forward to hayride in autumn.
Also, autumn = soup season! Time to break out the stock-pots!
Parka wrote:I assume this is yours. I don't know anyone else who would put "kill a bear" on a list.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:50 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Hey, bigglesworth - you living in the same British Empire I am? It's been sunny in England's south for over a whole WEEK!

Well, yes, but I can remember Autumns where it has rained more. I must have been a bit grumpy when I wrote that.

And living in one of the most southern parts of the UK, I guess I must get less rain than is my fair share, so it's all good.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

Depending on a place to stay, the Boy and I were thinking of coming up to Boston for Thanksgiving. We have a four-day weekend, too. I can't afford another flight to Texas this year, and Belial hates his family, so we've nowhere to go. ;_; I can make delicious cornbread dressing and peas and sweet potato pie!
You don't make them touch!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

Ptera wrote:My family is mostly German-American, and we do this too. Maybe it's cause I grew up in the midwest. If you don't have ridiculously huge piles of food left over after everyone has gorged themselves, you didn't make enough. :D

It's everywhere. Almost any major family-gathering holiday requires the production and consumption of enough foodatory items to feed the entire population of your state or country for one week. Somehow, and I don't know how, maybe Science will one day provide explanation, but any food consumed on a holiday (A) tastes better on that holiday than if the exact same food was prepared on any of the other 364 days of the year, and (B) doesn't fill you up as much as it would on the other 364. That's why one must go back for seconds and thirds. For those who are dieting or trying to watch your weight, any fat grams, carb grams, calories, cholesterol, etc. are nonexistent on the holidays.
PRG

An important message for you:

Clerria

Postby Clerria » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:04 pm UTC

This thread gives me warm fuzzies. I am ready for that daylight savings time kick backwards, whenever you are, farmers. I'm probably spending thanksgiving with my roommate's family, who I have kinda merged into. They live only 1 hour away so we'll drive down for the holiday and do some very nice slacking.

I can't wait for my first glass of hot chocolate spiked with rumplemintz. And being anti-hungry. No more food.... ppleaase.
eristic wrote:
Clerria wrote:Do you speak Greek? ;)

'maybe'

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

Ptera wrote:
Okita wrote:

My family is mostly German-American, and we do this too. Maybe it's cause I grew up in the midwest. If you don't have ridiculously huge piles of food left over after everyone has gorged themselves, you didn't make enough. :D

I have a Jewish grandmother, so the phenomenon is duly noted here as well. Jewish food yayyy! I swear she has a walk-in cupboard and some of that stuff has not seen the light of day for years, though. She just always has a ton of food so some of it never manages to get used.

But yeah, since my mother is Jewish and my father is Lutheran I was brought up celebrating a lot. And since I'm not religious myself, every holiday is an excuse to eat delicious food and be with family. Which is really the best part, anyway.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

sethicus
Winner

Postby sethicus » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

I haven't celebrated holidays in years, though I'm forced to go through the motions by family. I get them gifts and such for christmas and the like, but I skip out on all the religiosity, as it is very contrived and annoying. About the only holiday I do participate in is New Year's Eve, as there is excessive drinking, which I excel at.
Compromise: Lowering my standards so you can meet them.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Depending on a place to stay, the Boy and I were thinking of coming up to Boston for Thanksgiving. We have a four-day weekend, too. I can't afford another flight to Texas this year, and Belial hates his family, so we've nowhere to go. ;_; I can make delicious cornbread dressing and peas and sweet potato pie!

YES! I want to do thanks giving with friends! But my house is not good for it. PictureSarah?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

Yes, I think this is a very good idea. My house is pretty good for it. I have a ginormous kitchen and oven and stuff. We could also make turkeys out of hands and beans, like in kindergarten.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:20 pm UTC

Awesome, Thanksgivingness! I should see what Randy's doing. It would be really ironic if we came up to Boston and he goes down to Virginia. :roll:
You don't make them touch!

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

My friend Autumn died in a car crash last fall, thanks for rubbing salt in old wounds. :cry:
"OMIT NEEDLESS WORDS"
William Strunk, Jr.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

Ooh, I really like this idea...<3 you guys.

My place is fine by me, but I'll let Sarah have the say on whether the kitchen is up to Thanksgiving snuff; it clearly is the most important part of the whole deal.

I'm thankful for Amicitia's tears. They warm my cold, black heart. =')
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

iNap

Postby iNap » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:22 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Awww, thanks Delalyra. Cookies do make everyone feel better.

Already posted this in the cookbook thread, but since everyone's talking about cookies, apples and cooking, this one tends to go over well:

Apple Cobbler Cookies
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup salted butter, softened
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup apple butter
2 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 3/4 cups quick oats (not instant)
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 stick salted butter, melted

Mix flour, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside.
In a separate, large bowl, mix sugar and brown sugar. Cream in softened salted butter. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth.
Next, add apple juice and apple butter. Mix well, then begin to add flour mixture. Blend on low until combined -- do not overblend.
Add apples. Set aside and chill while preparing crumb mix.

Crumb Coating:
Mix last four ingredients until dry ingredients are moistened.

Roll cookie dough into teaspoon-size balls and then roll into crumb mixture. Roll until coated. Place on ungreased cookie sheets (12 to a pan). Cookies will spread during baking. Bake at 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until crumb mixture is brown. Remove with a spatula to cooling surface.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:25 am UTC

Autumn and Winter are my favourite seasons. It's much easier to keep comfortable in Cool/Cold then Warm/Hot.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:30 am UTC

i am collecting soup recipes and interesting knitting/crochet patterns RIGHT NOW. *shoos people off to the cookbook thread* gimme! and feel free to pm me nifty yarn craft patterns. i dont want to make a thread for it, i dont think there are enough of us here.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:22 am UTC

I hate Autumn, but only as a function of where I live.

You see, I hate heat. I overheat very easily, yet I live in one of the hottest states in the Union. In the summer, this means I stick to the indoors mostly (high 90's/low 100's highs FTL) where it's nice and air-conditioned, not so bad. Winter's fine, because I generally like the cold, and I have a high tolerance for it--I've been known to be perfectly comfortable in shorts and sandals in 50 degree weather. Not "I'm cold and I don't care" comfortable, I mean not cold comfortable. Anyway, NM has mild winters, and indoor heating and jackets aren't terribly hard to come by when it does get cold.

Fall is a nightmare for me.

In NM, it stays summer weather until late september/early october. Then, with average highs still in the 80's, apartment complexes turn their air conditioning off. So now I'm overheated and uncomfortable with no way to cool myself. Mid-October to Mid/Late-November is a roller coaster, where it will literally go from being stiflingly hot to freezing cold in the span of hours. Worse than that, it gets barely cold enough that I'll need a jacket, but even the lightest of winter clothing causes me to overheat, and sweat, and generally make me uncomfortable. And of course, people start heating all the buildings, even when it's not cold.

If that weren't bad enough, Autumn here is BORING. Nothing special happens. We go from near summer heat to freezing cold weather (and back) so quickly that the leaves don't turn, they just die, turning a fugly brown instead of the pretty yellows and reds. The weather is miserable, either too hot or too cold. Sometimes it's windy, which I HATE. Generally just no fun.

I guess the one good thing is the chile harvest. Roasting chile is the most delicious smell. But it doesn't make up for the hell of living in a place that doesn't have proper seasons.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

The Cosmic Fool

Postby The Cosmic Fool » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 am UTC

Eh. This autumn crap is crap. It's like foreplay to winter sex.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
"The future is dark, the present burdensome. Only the past, dead and buried, bears contemplation."

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Autumn and Winter are my favourite seasons. It's much easier to keep comfortable in Cool/Cold then Warm/Hot.

True. When it gets hot, you can only peel off so many clothes before the police come and arrest you for indecent exposure.

Last night while I was moderating the pet chat room, one of the tell-tale signs of autumn wafted through my window. Smelled like someone either had a fire burning in their fireplace (in their defense it got down to the low 40s last night, which to me meant they're wimps), or else someone had burned some leaves, although the entire state's under a burn ban at the moment. Had to have been the former, if they don't have central heat.

Supposed to only get down to the upper 50s tonight. if it gets cooler, I may pull one of the handmade quilts out that were made by my great-great-grandmother. Found them packed up in garbage bags, buried in the far back of an old smoke house. These are made in America, bitches. Not China.
PRG

marshlight

Postby marshlight » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

I just remembered what I dislike about fall. Damn dandruff.
Belial wrote:Time to hide in the CAVE OF AWESOME.

noouch

Postby noouch » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:35 pm UTC

Crap. It's already started snowing here. At night it gets down to >5°C below freezing, and I've caught a fairly nasty cold.
I want summer again :(

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

noouch wrote:Crap. It's already started snowing here. At night it gets down to >5°C below freezing, and I've caught a fairly nasty cold.
I want summer again :(

Damn. Where do you live? I have a friend in New Mexico who said they were under a freeze warning and wind advisory last night.
PRG

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

It's 3 pm, here, the Leaves are yellow and pleasant, the sky is grey and dull. And in about 1 hour the land will be dark as night.
The frost has fallen and it's going to get really cold really soon. It's a time for cozyness, pies, loved ones and family. And anything else i'd have to say on that subject would probably go in the Confessional Thread.
I'm going to go out really early tomorrow and get som pics of Frostcovered Yellow Leaves at Sunrise.
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:Depending on a place to stay, the Boy and I were thinking of coming up to Boston for Thanksgiving. We have a four-day weekend, too. I can't afford another flight to Texas this year, and Belial hates his family, so we've nowhere to go. ;_; I can make delicious cornbread dressing and peas and sweet potato pie!

Missed this earlier. I have a futon that can sleep two, you guys are welcome to it.

noouch

Postby noouch » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:36 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:Damn. Where do you live? I have a friend in New Mexico who said they were under a freeze warning and wind advisory last night.

Southern Germany. Normally it only starts snowing in mid/late November.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

Needs pictures, snapped these outside my apartment.
I really hope I'm not executed for the murder of every 56k modem on the globe...

EDIT
Oh me yarm Oh, blurry, oh well, crappy camera. Enjoy
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

Autumn has the best weather and makes the best name for a girl, if you were naming her after seasons.

Which sucks, because I want Spring to be the best as that's when my birthday is :/

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:Ooh, I really like this idea...<3 you guys.

My place is fine by me, but I'll let Sarah have the say on whether the kitchen is up to Thanksgiving snuff; it clearly is the most important part of the whole deal.

I'm thankful for Amicitia's tears. They warm my cold, black heart. =')
AWESOME! How many are in?
iNap wrote:Apple Cobbler Cookies

THANK YOU! We will need to be getting rid of apples.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:Awesome pictures of fall foilage

*That* is why I love Fall/Autumn. My mom told me about driving up to Cedartown and Rome in the Fall a few years ago. I may make a trip up there next week while I'm off. I may even drive to Alabama and take some pictures of the mountains over there. Pictures should be posted within a week.
PRG

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

In the spirit of things...
Attachments
64790240.CUQspc8e.Fall_2.jpg
64790240.CUQspc8e.Fall_2.jpg (416.23 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
64790238.cyzeCDEI.Fall_1.jpg
64790238.cyzeCDEI.Fall_1.jpg (329.36 KiB) Viewed 1383 times

Delalyra

Postby Delalyra » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 pm UTC

Ooooohh. Is that a color-enhanced oak leaf there, or did you get lucky?
you may remember me from 2008 or 2009. I left for a while. I'm now sporadically back. I tumble here.

Return to “General”