Humility

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30450
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby Belial » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

Your response doesn't make a lot of sense. Do you understand what the terms mean?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Humility

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:03 pm UTC

Did he just say he won't believe things that lots of people say are true a lot, simply because a lot of people say it's true? ;o
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:08 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:Is it really so sad? Does anyone understand what all said means?
It means fear, fear, fear is holding you.
Fear is an external constraint. Remove it. What we have now? Why would you be a beast if you are human inside?


Because a human is a hairless ape with a huge ego, pretending to be something other than a hairless ape who's still terrified that the lion/tiger/bear(ohmy!)'s gonna get'em.

No one is a human inside. Humanity's the thing running on top of our base instincts and desires.. Humanity is Windows 3.11 to our brain's DOS 6.X. Is it any wonder the world is full of mindless torment, human hurting human simply because they can? We're dumb creatures with morality that can be easily liken to a Microsoft product - works good on paper, falls to pieces in the real world.

We are beasts. Stupid hairless apes. Pretending otherwise is denying one's own existence. At best, we can go find squirrels.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Wow, Gelsamel got it correctly. Oh, I forgot Belial is psychologist, so I bit him a little. But I won't change my opinion. Million flies could not have made a mistake! It must be true!

And believing everything granpa Freud told literally is not very wise.
Human is not an animal. It is species, yes, but it is on much later stage of evolution. Such simplifications make me cringe... all those hundreds years, appearance of state, law, crafts, all those scholars, religions, philosophers, humanists, freedom fighters, bloody revolutions and bloodless reforms, science at last ... and we come to our start - animality? Ouch.
Human has tendencies inside. What religions say about angel and devil part is not completely phoney, but rather metaphorical. It was about animalistic and humane tendencies. They fight, and please don't let the ape win. It is absolutely easy to give in to it. It is called corruption and happens often with very rich or very poor.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Humility

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

Believing something isn't true simply because lots of people do is just as bad as believing something is true because lots of people do.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

NinjaArcana wrote: Telephone cleaners for instance, without them we could die from a horrible plague due to an unclean telephone.
ah hitchikers.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Humility

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:59 am UTC

all those hundreds years, appearance of state, law, crafts, all those scholars, religions, philosophers, humanists, freedom fighters, bloody revolutions and bloodless reforms, science at last


Every single one of those philosophers, humanists, scholars, what have you, all had to eat, shit, fuck, sleep, stay warm, everything. They were bound by the animalistic natures of their bodies. Also, they all died, and often because of something grossly physical like disease or violence. Sure, we can make it so life isn't all about those urges, and we have achieved a level of self-awareness to where we philosophize about these urges and from whence they came, but in the end, we're still stuck in these meatsack bodies and subservient to the primitive chemical responses developed since we started running around in Africa (or wherever).

For example, even the most dedicated, intellectual, sophisticated, responsible nerd will seriously consider skipping class if there is a warm, willing female in his bed in the morning, who isn't really particular as to where she'll put her hands. *g*
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
VannA
White
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:57 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:37 am UTC

Such simplifications make me cringe... all those hundreds years, appearance of state, law, crafts, all those scholars, religions, philosophers, humanists, freedom fighters, bloody revolutions and bloodless reforms, science at last ... and we come to our start - animality? Ouch.


Hundreds of years? Compared to Hundreds of Thousands, of being what we are?
We can teach Apes to paint, and talk. Other animals as well.

What makes us special? You've consistently refused to address my prior point, which is why you think we are special?
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:15 am UTC

OK. That those don't agree I will call animals.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
VannA
White
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:57 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby VannA » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:00 am UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:OK. That those don't agree I will call animals.


Again you refuse to clarify.

Answer the question.

What makes us special?

You are an animal. Nothing More. Nothing Less.
A smart one. One that is capable, under favourable conditions, of having leisure time.

You wish to believe we are something more, better, greater. I am asking you why?
Be content with what we are, and don't seek to denigrate our faults, and rise up our achievements. Celebrate what actually *IS*
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

zenten
Posts: 3799
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:42 am UTC
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Re: Humility

Postby zenten » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:51 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:OK. That those don't agree I will call animals.


I think you may have a different definition of what "animal" means. We're alive, but we're not plants, we're not fungi, we're not single celled organisms. We have a nervous system, muscles, and we respire by converting oxygen into carbon dioxide.

Therefore, we are animals, by the definition that I use, as well as the definition that many other people here use. This is not pejorative, but neutral.

I believe that what you are trying to say is that we are all people.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Humility

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:OK. That those don't agree I will call animals.


Now you're just being condescending and obstructive to discussion.

Which isn't humility (or reason) at all.

Also, you're avoiding actually answering questions/points. Use that intellect or whatever you think elevates us to the next level of existence.
Last edited by podbaydoor on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:56 pm UTC

Yup. And what's exactly I mean by saying 'species'.
Is a car no different from ore slab?
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Humility

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

Of course it's different. But the car is still an inanimate object that must be moved around by an outside force like the slab of ore. Also, it's still subject to weather, hammers, etc., from which its only defense is the properties inherent to it. There's nothing pejorative about that.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:59 pm UTC

System is more than sum of its parts.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Humility

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

And this translates to "fear = bad" how?
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Your stubborness just translates as stupidity, Iori, because it seems that you have a lot to say but little to base it on because you need something to get you through your day. That's all well and good, we all need something like that sometimes, but to start an argument and then try to win without being able to back up your theory just makes you look like you have no idea what you're talking about. Just because you refuse to accept the fact that humans are animals doesn't make it so. In fact, it makes you wrong. Just like not believing something because other people believe it makes you seem very juvenile. I've not met anyone with that mindset over the age of fifteen recently. So either man up and admit you're wrong or find something to back up what you're saying, because right now you just look like an idiot.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.


j&r-bffl

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:20 pm UTC

Wow! And those people forbid us to spit on floor!
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
rachel
Witch (?)
Posts: 2478
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:26 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Humility

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:24 pm UTC

Instead of making nonsensical statements or false generalizations about humankind, why don't you back up your belief, Iori? You talk a lot, but you certainly don't say much. All anyone wants to hear from you is how you justify what you say is true, and that shouldn't be hard to deliver if you've actually got something to say. Until you've got it all figured out (oh wait! you obviously already do because there is no way that you are wrong here because the majority believes the opposite of what you believe and so that must make what the majority believes false), maybe you should just drop it.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.


j&r-bffl

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

I simply can't. How would I explain a difference to someone who just does not see it?
I respect anyone's view on the matter, and let us quit this pointless arguing. I just want to add that it was not my point that human is not an animal at all. It was that human was not a mere animal.
It is very similar to a car, which is not just a lump of materials.
All arguings that degenerate into arguings about definitions are bound to fail.
I do not even want to raise such subjects as soul or metaphysical or karma or cosmos...
And by the way, an idiot would not be able to talk. He would just sit quietly mumbling 'Moooo-moo', waving his head, and letting his saliva drip on the keyboard.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

User avatar
cephalopod9
Posts: 2030
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:23 am UTC

Re: Humility

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:31 am UTC

Has it been mentioned that communication on the internet is largely competitive?
Humility and passivity are very easily drowned out and discouraged in group discussion. It seems to me the sort of linear structure discussion boards such as these have polarizing if not magnifying effect. Simply put, "have you considered this aspect?" will not get you anywhere near the reaction "that is completely wrong" will in midstream discussion. I'd like to see a more complex, perhaps higher dimension of dialogue created for the digital medium.
Image

User avatar
Iori_Yagami
Posts: 606
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 pm UTC

Re: Humility

Postby Iori_Yagami » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:58 am UTC

Is internet forum similar in this fashion to ancient Greek forum? Perhaps, it has its name for something. Shout loud, use tricky logical fallacies and hot topics to draw attention, or they will not vote for you.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests