What position do you sleep in?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

What's your usual sleeping position?

Back
7%
Side
48%
Stomach
24%
(no clear trend)
22%

Total votes: 170

EvanED

What position do you sleep in?

Postby EvanED » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Okay, dumb, pointless poll time!

Inspired by today's comic, I'm curious what position people sleep in. (I'm assuming you're not trying to cuddle, so either on your own or in the same bed as someone but pretty much independent.)

I've always slept on my stomach, but I'm under the impression that this is unusual. (In detail, one hand down my side, one hand under my pillow.)

Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Re: What position do you sleep in?

Postby Number3Pencils » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I don't know how it happened, but I've been sleeping on my side for so long that I can no longer sleep in any other position. Kind of gets annoying trying to figure out what to do with that arm. Usually I put it under my pillow, sometimes down my side. Neither one is anything to write home about.
Spoiler:

sunami

Postby sunami » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:04 am UTC

I sleep on either by back or my stomach. If I'm on my stomach, I'll have my head pointed either left or right (which results in an uncomfortable jaw the next morning), while on my back I'm looking straight up usually. It's about 50/50, so I really can't put a vote for one or the other :-\
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:09 am UTC

Usually a 45° angle or on my side. Nearly always right up against and facing the wall my bed is against.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:11 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I've always slept on my stomach, but I'm under the impression that this is unusual. (In detail, one hand down my side, one hand under my pillow.)

That's pretty much how I sleep. But I usually go to bed at about 10.30, and to sleep around 1.00, so there's a hell of a lot of rolling around between times.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:19 am UTC

I sleep on my side and usually end up sleeping diagonally across the bed. I'm only 5 foot 3, but seem to take up an entire double bed when I sleep. Oops!
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:24 am UTC

It varies from night to night.
Sometimes back, sometimes stomach, sometimes side. Although when I sleep on my side, I usually wake up all stiff and in a bad mood. Probably not the best idea, then...

reishka

Postby reishka » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:14 am UTC

Hmm... I voted for "Stomach" but... I'm more a combination of side/stomach.

Basically, what I do is pretty much lay on my stomach with my left leg bent, both arms under my pillow/head. (It looks kinda like an upside down backwards 4... reference the crappy ASCII drawing below...). Then, I take a pillow and put it under my knee, next to my body so it kinda props me up... thusly having me on my right side, but still... somewhat laying on my stomach?

Sometimes I sleep on my back, but very, very rarely... and when I do, I kinda have my legs propped up. Imagine sitting in a chair and resting one ankle on your opposite knee. Now, take that and make the person lay back. That's pretty much it, except instead of the foot sticking straight out and touching the floor, it bends to touch the bed instead. But that is very, very rare. More often I'll wake up in that position rather than fall asleep in it.

I have a hard time sleeping on my left side in similar fashion, unless I'm sleeping with Boy. Then it's pretty much the same position, except with an arm and the bent-leg over his waist.

Code: Select all

......_O_
.....\ | /
.....__|_
.../     |
...|     |
.........|

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:23 am UTC

Always on my stomach. I've also noticed that my dreams vary depending on which side of the pillow my face is on.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:41 am UTC

People can actually sleep on their stomach? :shock:

Doesn't your neck hurt like hell the next morning?

For the record, I sleep on my side.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:44 am UTC

Solt wrote:People can actually sleep on their stomach? :shock:

For the record, I sleep on my side.

I could sleep on your stomach for you, and show you how it feels.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

King

Postby King » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:52 am UTC

When sleeping on you side its tricky to figure out what to do with your head, it can get a bit uncomfortable, but other than that its good. I like it because it bends my back the other way and cancels out all the sitting hunched over or slouched I do. That said I roll around a hell of a lot.
Yesterday never was, and tomorrow never will be.

Sunshine

Postby Sunshine » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:09 am UTC

I sleep around 7/8ths prone, with my head turned to the left. My right arm is hooked under my pillow, and my left arm snakes forward on the bed, to the bedhead. My pillow is about 1/4 of the way down the bed. This is unusual, I typically sleep on my back. But I recently had surgery in my lower back, so sleeping on the front is a necessity.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:15 am UTC

Yes.

I don't fully sleep on my stomach, I lie on a very very soft pillow with one arm wrapped around that and my hand tucked up under the pillow as well. My lap dog likes like sleep curled up on that pillow against my stomach.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:53 am UTC

EvanED wrote:Inspired by today's comic, I'm curious what position people sleep in. (I'm assuming you're not trying to cuddle, so either on your own or in the same bed as someone but pretty much independent.)

I... don't know. I tend to lie down on my side, but suspect that I roll onto my back some time shortly before or after I fall asleep. I wake up in mid air, halfway between my bed and my alarm clock.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 am UTC

On my stomach, when I'm alone. This is usually accompanied with a pillow under my right shoulder, to prop me up a little to alleviate the issue of the sore neck.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:18 am UTC

I usually sleep on my side, though which side I find most comfortable seems to alternate every few weeks. Kind of annoying, actually.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 am UTC

I lie on my back for about 20 minutes while I let my mind shut down but to get to sleep I have to roll onto my stomach, into my sleeping position, with my head tilted to one side and my arm underneath it.

No idea if I stay like this during sleep.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:54 am UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:I lie on my back for about 20 minutes while I let my mind shut down but to get to sleep I have to roll onto my stomach, into my sleeping position, with my head tilted to one side and my arm underneath it.

No idea if I stay like this during sleep.

That is something I can never do.

I have on multiple occasions said to myself "Okay... you should totally see what position you are in when you wake up, if you're in the same position then it's probably more likely that you don't move around when you sleep".

Of course I always forget, and even if I did remember straight away I probably wouldn't be able to tell properly.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

I sleep in any position. When I sleep on my stomach though, I usually have my head facing straight, my forehead on a pillow, and looking slightly forward. If I sleep for less than 4-5 hours, I wake up exactly how I fell asleep with the covers of the bed virtually undisturbed. Also, I can't fall asleep on a warm pillow, I have to keep flipping my head pillow over to the "cold" side if I don't fall asleep quickly enough.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:25 pm UTC

I sleep on my stomach predominantly, but with my arms under me, one crossing over my heart and the other crossing just over my hips.
Although now I'm finding it easier to sleep on my side with my hands near the pillow (almost like when you pretend to sleep you put your hands to the side of your head.)

Does anyone else do the funny cross arms while lying on their stomach, or just me?

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

I'd say: Side 95%; Front 3%; Back 2%

sand

Postby sand » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:32 pm UTC

loratwopointone wrote:I sleep on my side and usually end up sleeping diagonally across the bed. I'm only 5 foot 3, but seem to take up an entire double bed when I sleep. Oops!

I'm 5'11" and i take up a queen bed doing this. it really irritates anyone who shares a bed with me, i wish i knew how to stop.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:36 pm UTC

sand wrote:it really irritates anyone who shares a bed with me, i wish i knew how to stop.

That's what she said.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

I generally start on my side for the "winding down, staring at the wall and thinking about random shit" stage, and then roll onto my stomach right about when I'm ready to lose consciousness.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:41 pm UTC

I usually sleep on my back, half sitting up. When I was a kid, I had very bad allergies. Having my head not tipped up a bit was very uncomfortable, so I learned to sleep propped up. I can't sleep on my stomach at all. If I try, I wake up with both arms devoid of all circulation and my back badly crunked.
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

Akula

Postby Akula » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

I have such a weird position usually...

On my stomach, with my arms tucked straight down underneath my torso and legs. Further... no pillow. And I don't turn my head either. It's just straight down, face planted in the matress.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Eleven

Postby Eleven » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

The position I sleep in is on my stomach, left leg facing the mattress and straight, right leg bent 90 degrees and facing the right edge of the bed. My head is on two pillows and under one, facing right. Right arm bends upwards or outwards, left arm is flat against the bed bent at about 90 degrees down.

Yes, it hurts like hell when I wake up and my neck sounds like a bag of chips in the morning, but I can't get to sleep any other way, it seems.
YOU HAS FEESH?!

aetherson

Postby aetherson » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:59 pm UTC

on my back until i start to fall asleep and then i roll onto my side.
although i've found i sleep better if i'm hugging a pillow...product of sharing a dorm bed for a long time with teh SO's i guess.

but when camping, that's totally different. I have a mummy bag and end up sleeping on my stomach with the bag all twisted the wrong way. it's hell having to fight your way out of a sleeping bag every morning.
01001101 01100001 01100100 01100101 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01001100 01101111 01101111 01101011 00100001

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:Okay, dumb, pointless poll time!

This is nothing compared to the stuff Twas used to make.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

I only have this problem very occasionally. I use a pillow that is so thin to be almost non-existent though.

I find that if I don't use a pillow, my ear often is crushed and I'll wake up with it feeling really weird and hurting a bit, maybe as if it fell asleep. I've also time-to-time woken up with the arm under my pillow (or, if I roll around a bit, another one) numb from falling asleep.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

I guess when I sleep on my stomach, my arms are usually both wrapped around and under the pillow, with my head turned sideways so I can stare at the wall until I fall asleep.

When I sleep on my back, I am usually holding one of my pillows until my body relaxes enough for me to sleep. (Err, I sleep with about... eight or nine pillows on my bed, but only use one or two.)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:32 pm UTC

On my stomach, but aimed to one side or the other, one leg angled straight out until my knee is off the bed, then my lower leg angles back onto the bed. One arm under two pillows, one arm on top of the two pillows so that my face rests on my hand.

What? It's comfortable.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

I start out on my right side, with two pillows - one under my head, and one in front of me. After a few minutes, and right before dozing off, I flip onto my left side, taking the second pillow along and keeping it in front of me. Then I sort of roll onto my stomach, but half on the bed, half on the pillow, so I'm at an angle. Left arm usually under me and the pillow, right arm over the pillow.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

yellie

Postby yellie » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:46 pm UTC

I can't sleep on my back; I feel too... exposed. So I sleep curled up in a ball on my side. I'm always facing the left, so my right foot rests at the joint behind my kneecap on my left leg.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:54 pm UTC

Number3Pencils wrote:I don't know how it happened, but I've been sleeping on my side for so long that I can no longer sleep in any other position. Kind of gets annoying trying to figure out what to do with that arm. Usually I put it under my pillow, sometimes down my side. Neither one is anything to write home about.

Yeah, something like that. Typically one leg mostly extended, the other bent up.
Barring pass-out drunk or exhaustion, I will end up switching sides repeatedly before sleep, then again upon waking up.

Vaguely related: I cannot sleep without at least a sheet covering me, it feels too wierd otherwise.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby Umlaut » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

When I sleep with a woman, I like to be the little spoon.

Story time: I once woke up from a nightmare with both my arms completely asleep from the shoulders down. In a panic, I tried to get up, but over balanced and fell on the floor (more rolled off the bed than anything else). Half asleep, disoriented, and with only half of my limbs within operating tolerances, I spend about five minutes flopping around on the ground before I managed to climb back into bed.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but I once woke up from a half-dream where my girlfriend had turned into a cougar and poked her in the eye. "I-I thought you were a cougar!" I said, before falling back asleep.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:14 pm UTC

I lol'd a lot just now. Because the first line, the voice I attributed to it in my head made it hilarious; the first story is hilarious; and the second story was a fairly funny continuation.

You also reminded me of something that happend to me. I'd half woken up one morning, and felt something laying across my chest. In my half-asleep panic, I thought someone was trying to hold me down and I tried to fend them off, only to realize my arm wasn't cooperating. Once I had finally scared myself fully awake and sat up, I came to realize it was just my arm, completely asleep and devoid of feeling.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

[requisite "the one with your Mom" joke]

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:41 pm UTC

The worst is when you wake up and you legs are asleep.

"Oh god gotta get up and ::faceplant:: doh...."
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “General”