Childhood misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

fersrs

Re: Childhood misconceptions

Postby fersrs » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:23 pm UTC

You got money ever time something bad happened; Millionaires were rich because they were unhappy all the time. This was probably caused by hearing things about money not buying happiness, there were also a lot of arguments over it when my parents got divorced, and my mom gave me 5 dollars when my cousin broke my Barbie Pegasus.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Hefty One wrote:When I was a child I remember thinking a sheet of paper was 2-dimensional.

This pissed me off to no end as a kid. Teachers would often cite paper as an example of something that was two dimensional, but thanks to a disgusting amount of exposure to videogames, I knew what 2D really meant, and that's SIDE-SCROLLERS... and also no depth, because plants in 3D games were often composed of just a couple 2D planes and would often be neigh invisible if you were looking at it from the wrong angle. What frustrated me the most though is that teachers would argue with me when I corrected them. How stupid do you have to be to understand that a piece of paper is a three dimensional object?

It still irritates me to this day.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:00 am UTC

I used to think that all TV was live. When they zoomed forward in time, it confused me to no end.

I also used to think that they had to re-animate or film the theme song each time they made a new episode.

Video editing was an amazing discovery.
yeah yeah yeah

Benstudios

Postby Benstudios » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:58 am UTC

I used to think that my big brothers were awesome.

Thank god for their girlfriends.

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:33 am UTC

I just now remembered that I used to think that you died every time you went to sleep, and that you were revived when you woke up. I don't know where I got that conception from.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

guyy

Postby guyy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Benstudios wrote:I used to think that my big brothers were awesome.

Being a big brother myself, I never really realized that big brothers are supposed to be assholes to their younger siblings. But they aren't exactly nice to me...I don't even know whether that was a good thing.

Also, I used to think that school buses said "Stop when red lights flash" on the back because the bus only had to stop at a red light if it was flashing. I don't know when I finally realized that didn't make sense...

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

If you plant a cucumber, it will grow up into a marrow.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:24 pm UTC

Plasma Man wrote:If you plant a cucumber, it will grow up into a marrow.

...how did you come up with that idea? :shock:
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:03 am UTC

kapojinha wrote:

Isn't it obvious? Cucumbers look a lot like marrow seeds to me.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:
kapojinha wrote:

Isn't it obvious? Cucumbers look a lot like marrow seeds to me.

USA-ican question:

What's a marrow?

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 am UTC

This
is a marrow.

And yes, I just came up with it because they looked similar. I also thought that courgettes and cucumbers were two different fruit from the same plant.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

My grandparents used to grow huge gherkins and claim they were cucumbers.

Alas, they would serve them as such.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:32 pm UTC

I used to wonder what the little hole in the middle of bars of deorderant was for.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

kapojinha

Postby kapojinha » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Kurushimi wrote:Isn't it obvious? Cucumbers look a lot like marrow seeds to me.

Ohh. I thought you meant bone marrow or something. :P
"My desire for knowledge is intermittent, but my desire to bathe my head in atmospheres unknown to my feet is perennial and constant."

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:01 am UTC

kapojinha wrote:

Nah, I guess it's like a zucchini or something.

Kurushimi

Postby Kurushimi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

kapojinha wrote:

Actually, I had no idea what a marrow was at the time. I was being completely sarcastic.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 pm UTC

Childhood misconception: It's pronounced HY-po-TEN-use.

Codie

Postby Codie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Grop wrote:My grandparents used to grow huge gherkins and claim they were cucumbers.

Alas, they would serve them as such.

My grandpa served deli chicken on Thanksgiving and called it "turkey".

electronic mily

Postby electronic mily » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

I went for years and years without ever seeing the word 'dentures' written down, and so I concluded that the correct spelling was probably 'denchers.' 'Dench' always seemed like a reasonable onomatopoeia for biting your teeth together, so it made sense at the time. I suspect that someday I'm going to spell it like that by accident and things are going to get really awkward.

Dench dench dench...

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am UTC

When I was around 12 or 13, before learning about the existence of programming languages, I thought videogames could be made with Microsoft Access. It was the only Office application I didn't understand what it did and making videogames and other complex programs seemed like the only thing about computers I didn't know how was done. So, I put two and two together and... yeah.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

You're better than I, then. I thought it was done in a text editor. Without a compiler or anything, that if you just renamed an .exe to .txt and knew what you were doing, you could tell what the code was doing.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:14 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:You're better than I, then. I thought it was done in a text editor. Without a compiler or anything, that if you just renamed an .exe to .txt and knew what you were doing, you could tell what the code was doing.

It's technically true, for large enough values of "know what you are doing".
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Grop

Postby Grop » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

Me too, because I had to edit these .bat files quite early. I was quite frustated at not understanding .exe files.

Codie

Postby Codie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:56 am UTC

Grop wrote:Me too, because I had to edit these .bat files quite early. I was quite frustated at not understanding .exe files.

I tried doing that, and then was surprised that the open source program then became unrunnable. (Because most text editors add the CR and/or LF. Luckily I discovered the Hex Editor program, so it would work as long as they didn't include checksums in the files.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

Codie wrote:
Grop wrote:Me too, because I had to edit these .bat files quite early. I was quite frustated at not understanding .exe files.

I tried doing that, and then was surprised that the open source program then became unrunnable. (Because most text editors add the CR and/or LF. Luckily I discovered the Hex Editor program, so it would work as long as they didn't include checksums in the files.

If I've got this right, you edit(ed) your open source programs by directly modifying the executable via a hex editor, not by altering and recompiling the (presumably freely available, hence open source) code? I'm not sure if that's extremely impressive or extremely stupid . . .
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Perhaps he said that in a humorous attempt to stop big corporations from suing him since most commercial software licenses have clauses that prohibit you from reverse-engineering them and I guess editing the executable can be considered as doing that. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it and the software he first experimented with these things on just happened to be open source and he randomly decided to include that information.

Reading back my post, I probably give the impression that I am a really insane person, don't I?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:10 am UTC

Naurgul wrote:commercial software licenses have clauses that prohibit you from reverse-engineering them [...]
But open source software specifically grants you this ability.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:29 am UTC

that when two people got married the wife magically got pregnant.
Now that i think about it my theory doesn't count for single moms.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

Pretty much everyone I know was conceived out of wedlock, and therefor that's how they're married. (Everyone was an "oops") This is why people get married and for no other reason, you see.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

Ran4 wrote:I thought that I could read when I was 2. I couldn't. I pretend-readed. A year later, when I was 3, I saw someone around 2 do the same thing, and I thought that it was completely stupid... But I didn't realized that I did that just a year before, I didn't get that until a few days later.
That's still one of my most embarrassing memories: me pretend-reading. I mean, c'mon! It's so silly and stupid.
Ugh, if I ever get kids, I won't be afraid that my children will be gay or something arbitrarily like that; I'll be scared senseless that my child might one day pretend-read. :|

Something similar happened to me when I was about 3. I knew how to use a computer (meaning turn it on, put the CD inside, play the game, exit the game, turn it off), but I never played when my mom was home because she used the computer for work. I thought I couldn't use a computer because whenever any of her friends asked, she said I didn't know. She was surprised when she got home one day and I was playing. (Because of that, I thought using a computer meant typing very very fast with the keyboard)

And the time I was about 5 and got a system crash in Mac OS 8. This is what comes on:
Needless to say, I fled the house in terror screaming "It's going to explode!". A neighbor found me in a park next to where I live, whimpering. The result? My dad had to reinstall the OS, using the CD. For the next 3 years I thought bomb squads were simply installing a program on the bombs so they wouldn't explode.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 am UTC

I learned to read pretty early in life, but my brother took a while. For a few years I wondered what it was like to not be able to read, since I couldn't remember. Did the letters just look blurry? Could he not see them? I didn't get that you could see the letters, but not know what they mean.

I also remember not quite understanding the concept of a million, when on a Simpsons episode, Bart and Lisa missed a one-time showing of a special Itchy and Scratchy episode. They got back just in time to see Krusty say "they'll never let us show that again in a million years!" I didn't get what they were so upset about... so you have to wait a little while?
In another case someone told me the dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago. Since that was a year ago, I started saying 66 million instead. I eventually learned the concept of a million, but still didn't know about rounding, so I updated my figure to 65,000,001.

At one point I had the brilliant idea that if I told people I was blind, they'd believe me, and not mind me wandering into places I shouldn't, because I'd have no way of knowing.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:25 am UTC

God made Eve from Adam's rib, therefore girls have one more rib than boys. I never got on cop shows why they couldn't tell if the skeleton was from a guy or a girl, just count the ribs! XD

I somehow managed to uninstall windows 95 while trying to play monopoly as a kid. I clicked a bunch of things, the game didn't open so I clicked OK then went on to the next one.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Senefen wrote:God made Eve from Adam's rib, therefore girls have one more rib than boys. I never got on cop shows why they couldn't tell if the skeleton was from a guy or a girl, just count the ribs! XD

This is actually really common. Like, to the point that I've met adults who think this.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Codie

Postby Codie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Rd
Sir_Elderberry wrote:
Senefen wrote:God made Eve from Adam's rib, therefore girls have one more rib than boys. I never got on cop shows why they couldn't tell if the skeleton was from a guy or a girl, just count the ribs! XD

This is actually really common. Like, to the point that I've met adults who think this.

Yeah, I thought that too.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:34 am UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:

How silly. Obviously God, being all-knowing, and having a Plan, would have seen this coming, and built Adam with an extra rib on one side, so he could remove it later to build Eve. :D And to cover his tracks.

Just like how scorpions have more legs on one side, or something. Maybe it's lobsters. I forget.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:12 am UTC

lulzfish wrote:
Sir_Elderberry wrote:

How silly. Obviously God, being all-knowing, and having a Plan, would have seen this coming, and built Adam with an extra rib on one side, so he could remove it later to build Eve. :D And to cover his tracks.

Just like how scorpions have more legs on one side, or something. Maybe it's lobsters. I forget.

I can't remember where I read it, but I read a Genesis storybook at some point which concluded, quite matter-of-factly that this was why, AS WE ALL KNOW, men have one less rib than women. Luckily I wasn't paying much attention, possibly preoccupied with whatever I was interested in at the time, and mostly forgot about it until now.

(Unless that's a constructed memory I got from reading this thread (that sometimes happens))
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:18 am UTC

I remember this one time I had a constructed memory, it was while I was reading the Wikipedia article on con-...
No, wait..

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:47 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:

My parents still believe this. My cries of "count them, then!" are just met with blank stares.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:58 pm UTC

The logic of "How many one-armed men have one-armed children" doesn't work?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

Ah, yes but one-armed men haven't been touched by God's spirit magic :wink:
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Return to “General”