Childhood misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

RollingHead

Re: Childhood misconceptions

Postby RollingHead » Fri May 25, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

My grandmother told me that if I touched her plants I'd get rashes and boils on my hands, took me a while to figure out she was messing with me so I'd be careful not to ruin her plants.
I also firmly believed that the human heart was sort of crescent shaped, vaguely resembling a small stomach, and was utterly convince I'd seen a picture of this to prove my point and searched my books over and over to find it.
I also heard pain d'épices (french spice bread) as "panda piece", I knew it wasn't a piece of a panda but that just meant I couldn't find any correlation.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat May 26, 2012 10:09 am UTC

RollingHead wrote:My grandmother told me that if I touched her plants I'd get rashes and boils on my hands, took me a while to figure out she was messing with me so I'd be careful not to ruin her plants.

Depending on the plants, she might have been serious.

Even if she wasn't serious, that's probably where she got the idea for the supposed symptoms from.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Sun May 27, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

She wasn't, as I discovered falling onto them a while later. And it would have been quite dumb to keep dangerous plants in a small dining room anyway.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Mon May 28, 2012 11:05 pm UTC

When I first took notice of a traffic light with 4 aspects, I decided that the fourth must be a blue light which was used only for police officers to communicate with one another (it was the signal for the turning lane).

I believed it was possible to make any matter fissile by cutting it with a knife, thereby "splitting" some of its atoms.

I was convinced that if I ran fast enough, I could leave a roadrunner-style trail of dust, regardless of the substrate.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Thu May 31, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I was convinced that everyone in America looked like an adult when they were like 16 or 17. Don't blame me, blame my brother for seizing the remote control and making me sit through hours and hours and hours and hours and hours of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. To this day I still don't get why they use 25 year-olds in teen dramas =/

And now I know why everyone doesn't look as adult as I thought they would.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 31, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:To this day I still don't get why they use 25 year-olds in teen dramas =/
Because the child actor laws restrict how much they can work in a day, and I think require onsite tutors if shooting interferes with school. 18+ actors have no such restrictions or requirements about education.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

I thought anal sex was only between dudes.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu May 31, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:To this day I still don't get why they use 25 year-olds in teen dramas =/
Because the child actor laws restrict how much they can work in a day, and I think require onsite tutors if shooting interferes with school. 18+ actors have no such restrictions or requirements about education.

Also, they aren't always very good actors. Look at the first few Harry Potter movies as an example.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Afif_D

Postby Afif_D » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:32 am UTC

TheTedinator wrote:Childhood misconception: It's pronounced HY-po-TEN-use.

Hold on .How is it pronounced then? I am 18 years old and i still pronounce it as HY-po-TEN-use. :P

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 am UTC

/haɪˈpɒtənjuːz/

Or hy pot-n-use
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:57 am UTC

Stress on the second syllable, in other words.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

saus

Postby saus » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 am UTC

I also had a traffic light misconception. In school we apparently learned what the lights meant one day, but I must have not been paying attention. I remember thinking for several years that red=stop, yellow=stop, even if you're late, green=go. Makes absolutely no sense.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 am UTC

Hmph. Now I'm remembering some bullshit song they had us sing in kindergarten. To the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star":

Twinkle twinkle traffic light
something something something bright
Red means stop, green means go
Yellow means go, really slow

That is not what yellow means!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:04 am UTC

I get that "clear the intersection" is a little bit harder to explain to young kids than "stop" or "go," but I don't know how 'yellow means slow' is actually taught anywhere, that's almost the opposite of what it means.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

KestrelLowing

Postby KestrelLowing » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:I get that "clear the intersection" is a little bit harder to explain to young kids than "stop" or "go," but I don't know how 'yellow means slow' is actually taught anywhere, that's almost the opposite of what it means.

Yeah, the 'slow' is just messed up.

I think I was taught just that it means it's about to go red. I didn't really get the reason why that was needed (I could stop on a dime, so why couldn't cars?) until later.

JCPenney

Postby JCPenney » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:53 pm UTC

As a kid I was terrified of tornadoes (I don't really know why; I live in Ohio...I've never experienced a tornado in real life). I would therefore sleep every night with my favorite stuffed animal, a pink elephant, under my pajama shirt in the front. This would prevent him from being sucked out the window in the event of a tornado. Apparently I would be perfectly safe.

Also (and I still kind of do this), every inch of my body below my neck needed to be covered by the blanket, or else monsters in the closet could get me.
blowfishhootie wrote:Incidentally, "semen castle" is what I'm going to call my girlfriend if I ever break up with her.

Time Time Time
See what's become of me
As I looked around
For my possibility

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Hmph. Now I'm remembering some bullshit song they had us sing in kindergarten. To the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star":

Twinkle twinkle traffic light
something something something bright
Red means stop, green means go
Yellow means go, really slow

That is not what yellow means!

If it's blinking steady yellow then.... That's kinda close to what it means (don't stop, but watch for side traffic)

So... Maybe that?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

folkhero wrote:I get that "clear the intersection" is a little bit harder to explain to young kids than "stop" or "go," but I don't know how 'yellow means slow' is actually taught anywhere, that's almost the opposite of what it means.

Man, no wonder kids are such bad drivers.
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 pm UTC

ahammel wrote:

Man, no wonder kids are such bad drivers.

I was actually told once in a driving class that green means go, red means stop, yellow means the last three cars get to go through.
Dammit, I got that wrong. Supposed to be green means go, yellow means hurry up, red means last three cars get to go through.

Wasn't meant to be taken literally. The instructor was just pointing out that people, especially in my area, have a propensity for trying to make the intersection on a yellow.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Bsob

Postby Bsob » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

In Hook, when Peter(Williams) calls Rufio a "nearsighted gynecologist", I thought that insult was lame and "a maggot burger with flies on the side" was WAY better.

I have since revised my position.

Apparently Anonymous

Postby Apparently Anonymous » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

When I was a kid, I thought going to high school/uni would force me to stop procrastinating and finally get some kind of study habits.

Turns out it didn't!

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

I used to think that muscles prevented body hair; all the people I knew were overweight and had chest hair and all the people I saw with muscles in magazines didn't have chest hair.

freebirdy

Postby freebirdy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

I was convinced that I was the only one that could see the lines vacuums made in the carpet.

Also, I thought the blinker in cars told you where to go. So you could just follow the blinker home if you got lost.

In retrospect, my parents probably had a great time perpetuating these ideas.

she-ra

Postby she-ra » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

Mermaids were 100% real. They just lived in the parts of the ocean no-one had explored yet.

I also believed reincarnation was real (between my atheist parents and catholic schooling I'm not exactly sure where I got this idea - probably some silly movie/tv program).

I was hopeful that when I died I could choose to be reincarnated as a mermaid.
Without me the world would be doomed.

Bad Kitty

Postby Bad Kitty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:26 am UTC

My twin daughters believe that rumbling tummies are caused by dragons in the belly. Except one now has a stomach pony instead and the other has a (male) hippo that has just had babies. No wonder they are experiencing digestive discomfort.

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 am UTC

I used to think that: To get the multi-purchase discount at the store, you have to have them scanned one after the other. If you didn't then there would have been no way for them to link the two purchases.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:35 am UTC

I've just thought how kind of easy to discuss the issue of baby making to your children if you have two dogs who like to fuck each other. The whole thing's clear after you see the white dog trying to hump the orange dog every day and night, and later, the orange dog's pregnant and gave birth to 5 puppies half white and half orange.

although I mostly picked up the rest of the details in medbooks.

Childhood misconception: I thought hydrogen's proton and electron are bonded together like a molecule. Same goes to helium. Then they bond together to form bigger atoms. From that I concocted an elaborate theory of the universe's origin, and made my own atoms.

... Also, I'm scared of the earth's destruction billions and billions of years from now because of the Sun exploding, when I was child.

astrekmaster

Postby astrekmaster » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

I used to think that when I became a teenager, I'd turn into an argumentative jerk.
I also remember my dad and my sister trying to convince me that steak came from the "steak tree". I wasn't convinced.
I also didn't connect that the money that came out of ATMs came out of someone's bank account. I guess I thought it was just a repository of money.
And I also thought that the "D" in the Disney logo was a "G".
I define progress on a computer problem as getting a different error message.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

I used to believe that education was done after University and that I'll never have to study for anything after you gradurated. I would just get a job, get paid, and that was it.

After you gradurated you'll realized that there's a lot of people with your qualifications out there (or even having better qualifications then you), all fighting for the same job. You'll need an edge, something to seperates you from all the others out there, just so you'll be hired and stayed hire. Unfortunately you aren't as well connected, or have the people skills to climb the corporate ladder.

What are your options? Living in your parent's basement and living off your meager wage for the rest of your lives, or get more qualifications so that you have a chance to get a better job.

It took me too long to figured out that education is a continious life-time process. We always have to strife to achieve more and better ourselves. I Just finished writing CFA level 2 exam past June.... Cross fingers.

Return to “General”