Childhood misconceptions

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Re: Childhood misconceptions

Postby Akira » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

DarkIye wrote:I thought that too, for a short period. I never questioned how such a thing could possibly get along the fallopian tube, though.

It crawled.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

Iori_Yagami wrote:Even I am over 20, I still hold some misconceptions, probably. About science, especially, and I think it is common. I tried (now, as experiment) asking people (adults) why seasons happen and every one of them replied - 'because in winter we are further from the sun'. Funny, but it is so common. Yep, it is easier to understand than those mind-boggling angles and heat distributions, but it is just wrong.

Well, if you're talking of people south of the equator, while they're wrong about it being the reason, they are right about the Earth being further from the sun in the winter...
/just sayin'

Shizo wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259
I'm glad we ditched of Pluto. I had always thought it was too small in comparison to Saturn or Jupiter, anyway.

So's Earth.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:08 pm UTC

Shizo wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259
I'm glad we ditched of Pluto. I had always thought it was too small in comparison to Saturn or Jupiter, anyway.

...everything in the Solar System is small compared to Saturn and Jupiter. Pluto, though, is also small compared to Mercury, the Earth's Moon, Titan, Io, Europa. and Eris.

The car/bus one reminded me of another weird childhood misconception. Since my parents always rode in the driver and passenger seat of the car, I thought that sitting in those two seats meant you were married. It confused the hell out of me when I saw two police officers in the front of a police car, though. KF
~Kizyr

someguy

Postby someguy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

Trina wrote:re: flying. i could kind of push off of the earth and float around at will. these dreams were so realistic that i couldn't understand why it didn't happen all of the time.

Same here. In fact I used to tell my mother about it often ('I wish I could float around the place like I did yesterday') 'cause I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that it hadn't actually happened. I miss those floating/flying dreams now, they were beyond awesome.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

I used to think that if you ate the crusts on bread it gave you curly hair. I now know this to be nonsense, but I'm the only one in my family who never ate their crusts, and the only one to have straight hair.

I also used to think teachers knew the answer to everything, because they taught people, however, I realised they were just average people once I reached comprehensive.

Akira

Postby Akira » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

OH! Yes.

Not a misconception, I suppose, but rather a belief in something my mom told me.

Now, until she got porcelain bridges, my mom had a few gold teeth. She told us that, after we lost a tooth, if we didn't put our tongue in the hole, it would grow in gold.

The longest I ever lasted was about 5 hours. I'm not sure I ever REALLY believed it, but there you have it. XD
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Trina

Postby Trina » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

Goose wrote:I used to think that if you ate the crusts on bread it gave you curly hair. I now know this to be nonsense, but I'm the only one in my family who never ate their crusts, and the only one to have straight hair.

that reminds me... i thought that breastfed children always had light colored hair and bottle fed children had dark hair.

The Spherical Cow

Postby The Spherical Cow » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

After meeting a pregnant friend of my mum in town one day, I later went on to ask the typical question about a rather rotund gentlemen in the next shop.

"Mum, is he pregnant too?"

Rather loudly, I believe. Mother was horrified and made a quick escape.

EDIT: I think I should maybe make clear - I kind of knew that men weren't the ones to get pregnant. At least, in my experience. But I thought I should just check, to make sure.
Last edited by The Spherical Cow on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Akira wrote:OH! Yes.

Not a misconception, I suppose, but rather a belief in something my mom told me.

Now, until she got porcelain bridges, my mom had a few gold teeth. She told us that, after we lost a tooth, if we didn't put our tongue in the hole, it would grow in gold.

The longest I ever lasted was about 5 hours. I'm not sure I ever REALLY believed it, but there you have it. XD

Apparently, my brother actually managed to do this.
It doesn't grow in gold.
He also counted the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

Oh, I just remembered a good one, but it's not mine. My roommate and I were talkign about the sillyness of growing up in a religious family and she mentioned when she was a kid her preacher was always talking about the apocalypse (yea Baptists) and she always felt bad about the poor little baby seals that got broken. I'm not sure if that's better or worse than walking into a club.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

I actually WAS able to levitate as a kid. I even remember how, though in my older age I am unable to complete the prerequisite action: if you can successfully jump straight up, and have your knees fully bent and huddled to your chest with your arms wrapped around them by the time you reach the apex of your jump, you will hover there for approximately five seconds.
No, it was not a dream. Although I once had a dream that I could levitate longer....

Also, silly me, before I went to kindergarten I thought school was a place people went to learn things. Apparently not.

Akira

Postby Akira » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

Misplaced Confession: I just tried that.... >_>

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:44 am UTC

Akira wrote:Misplaced Confession: I just tried that.... >_>

The XKCD Forums are not responsible for any damage done to your tailbone.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:10 am UTC

I think the reason I didn't succeed was because I was afraid enough of that to put my legs back down before i reached the apex of the jump.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:45 am UTC

And a thing called Gravity.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Gravity, schmavity. It's all in your head. Srsly.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:33 am UTC

the one major misconception i can remember having as a child was believing that i was older than my mother because my birthday is the day before hers... i was a very logical child, i just reached conclusions without all of the relevant information!! :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Soap

Postby Soap » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:12 am UTC

I've not seen anyone post this site yet:

http://www.iusedtobelieve.com/

I've contributed a dozen or so beliefs over there. I'll pass the link to this thread on to the webmaster of the site; he might be interested.
Attention Customers
Our Storage Area is Very "Limited" so Please Keep Your "Total" to Under $10.00 Per "Redemption" Per "Day"
Thank You
---sign at a recycling center

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:56 pm UTC

shinybaby wrote:the one major misconception i can remember having as a child was believing that i was older than my mother because my birthday is the day before hers... i was a very logical child, i just reached conclusions without all of the relevant information!! :D
Since the school year started in August, and we never had new years parties when I was really young, I think I saw my dad (October birthday) as oldest, then my elder sister (November) next, followed by my younger brother (February), me (March) and my mother last (April). I also at the time knew everyone's approximate ages, but the two thoughts never collided, which is confusing now.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Soap wrote:I've not seen anyone post this site yet:

I've contributed a dozen or so beliefs over there. I'll pass the link to this thread on to the webmaster of the site; he might be interested.

Wow, I found mine on here as one of the most common animal-related childhood beliefs:
http://www.iusedtobelieve.com/animals/c ... e_species/

Now I don't feel so silly. KF
~Kizyr

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:53 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:
Soap wrote:I've not seen anyone post this site yet:

Wow, I found mine on here as one of the most common animal-related childhood beliefs:
http://www.iusedtobelieve.com/animals/c ... e_species/

Now I don't feel so silly. KF

I used to believe that one too... Not so much the same species, but that all cats were female and all dogs were male.
~Kat

Hoshi no Kabii

Postby Hoshi no Kabii » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:17 am UTC

Oh, I remember another good one. Possibly unique.

You know those "no smoking" signs? To me, the smoke looked like a guy in the "pooping position" and the cigarette the floor. I naturally assumed the sign meant "no pooping on the floor." It made perfect sense, as I had seen "no urinating in the pool" signs before.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:04 am UTC

Rin wrote:When I was little, I thought that the "viewer discretion is advised" warnings before television programs meant that you weren't supposed to talk about what you saw.

"The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club."
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

ACF

Postby ACF » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:15 am UTC

When I was little, I thought that hot dogs were cow udders. No joke.

Seven
Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One

Postby Seven » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:14 am UTC

ACF wrote:When I was little, I thought that hot dogs were cow udders. No joke.
They do look like cow udders! :shock:
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:"The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club."
"...you are not your fucking khakis." :arrow: *tries very hard to stay on topic and not turn this into a Fight Club quotes thread*

Ahem, back on topic...

As a very small child (4yrs) I thought visible rays of sun coming down through the clouds meant that God was giving the Ten Commandments to Moses (wherever the light shown) ... because that is what it looked like in my picture book.
Last edited by Seven on Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:26 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:16 am UTC

Also, thanks to "Tweeter & The Monkey Man", I really did think anything was legal, as long as you didn't get caught. It caused some moral problems.

Akira

Postby Akira » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:18 am UTC

Because Moses keeps freaking breaking them, he needs to get a new set every few cloudy day :wink: Lol, you're right, though O_o;

For a while, I believed that thunder was angel's bowling. I wondered where the light came from, though...
I was stills scared of it for the longest time XD

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

Seven wrote: "...you are not your fucking khakis."

As opposed to your regular ones?

I used to think that all strangers are actually part of a vast, global conspiracy to get me to talk to them.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

Grasshoppers could be easily made in ones kitchen or backyard by combining the proper ratios of lawn grass and water.
Women get pregnant when a little embryo inside them decides to grow and turn into a baby. All babies a woman will ever have are in her stomach right now and getting pregnant is just a matter of them getting bigger.
All babies are removed from pregnant animals by cutting open their stomachs. My Kitty Suprise doll supported this theory.
The government has the technology to do anything. Super-advanced nanotechnology has already been developed.
Reading consists of memorizing a story and turning the pages at the right time. I could "read" pretty well at age 2.
They teach addition and subtraction in 1st grade and multiplication and division in 2nd.
Teenagers are grown-ups.
Kissing is really gross.
Everybody is, or ought to be asexual.
Street addresses are assigned perfectly randomly.
Jewish people celebrate Chanuka and Christmas and Passover but not Yom Kippur.
The mushy stuff you get when you squish white bread up is bread dough.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

stockpot wrote:The mushy stuff you get when you squish white bread up is bread dough.

Haha, I had that one, too, up until one of my parents made bread for some special occasion or something.

Also, and I think I mentioned this one before somewhere, I used to believe (like, from about age 5) that the Bohr model correctly described the atom. What silly misconceptions we all once had. :-)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

Akira wrote:Misplaced Confession: I just tried that.... >_>

Me too. But I did it on a bed.

Still didn't work, but it was mighty fun.
EDIT: never mind. I tried again, and this time I landed with a snap, bounced, did a partial somersault, hit my head on the board, and nearly fell of the end of the bend whilst upside down.
Not a smart idea.

Hoags

Postby Hoags » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:*snip* I tried again, and this time I landed with a snap, bounced, did a partial somersault, hit my head on the board, and nearly fell of the end of the bend whilst upside down.
Not a smart idea.

I broke a bed frame by jumping on the bed when I was 9 or 10. I never did tell anyone about that, and I only just got rid of the bed.

When I was small, I used to think everyone's birthday was on the same day as my birthday. My mum said happy birthday into me, and when I enthusiastically replied "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!", I didn't understand why everyone was laughing.

curious and questioning

Postby curious and questioning » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:58 pm UTC

Flying- Up until about fourth or fifth grade, if the air was thick enough, I would be able to fly during recess at school. Just like swimming breaststroke, only you didn't have to move your head up for air. Also, you would fly at a certain height, because above that the air wasn't dense enough (I knew about density and how water and oil settled in layers.) I tell people that it was dreams because they wouldn't believe me if I said it was real. It felt real, and I don't remember waking up after it.

sex- Women become pregnant by this elaborate ritual dance with the men. I thought the real way was anticlimactic when I found out about it.
[insert quote here]

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:11 am UTC

Wake up, Wake up, you're dreaming.
or take the blue pill...
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Medic

Postby Medic » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:16 am UTC

I used to think "Drinking and Driving" meant you couldn't have a drink (Coke, water, etc.) in the car or else you'd be arrested.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:11 am UTC

Medic wrote:I used to think "Drinking and Driving" meant you couldn't have a drink (Coke, water, etc.) in the car or else you'd be arrested.

That reminds me...

Whenever public service commercials talked about "teen sex" they always showed an image of two people kissing. So, naturally, that's what I thought sex was 'til I think 6 or 7. After that I think I was just confused.

Reason it reminds me of it is that I had the same notions as you did on account of "Don't drink and drive" commercials. KF
~Kizyr

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

That teen sex kissing thing reminded me of one..

Misconception - I'm not a virgin.

Due to American TV censoring the term "sex" by calling it "making love" and further usage of that polite term in the definition of virginity - that is, someone who has never made love... I somehow misinterpreted that as a virgin being someone who's never been in love.

Ergo, at age 5 or so, I was convinced I was no longer a virgin, as I loved several people. My family, a couple of people at daycare, and so on.

I don't remember how old I was when I finally caught on that in love and make love are two different things. The whole thing would have been avoided had the term sex been used, as I knew the entire time what sex was. My 5 year old understanding of sex - It's what the cows do when they look like one's trying to climb on the other one, and it makes a baby cow. Grasshoppers do it by the little one climbing on the big one. People do something similar to make baby people, but that's something I'll be taught when I'm older.

Which, I guess, leads into another childhood misconception...

Misconception - I'll be taught all about sex in school when I'm older. There's this class called Sex Education, and all it does is teach you about it.. how to do it, what the dangers are, how you can protect yourself, the best ways to avoid unwanted side effects like children, and so on.

rachel
Witch (?)

Postby rachel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

bod wrote:That reminds me: when I was younger, I used to get the words 'protestant' and 'prostitute' confused - although I'm not sure I really understood what either of them was...

When I was little I used to tell people I was a virgin instead of a virgo. Also, I got the phrases "make up" and "make out" confused quite a lot.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I played "porn" against my sister last night.
Meaux_Pas wrote:So in otherwords, it's like the best cake ever, covered in bees.

j&r-bffl

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

rachel wrote:When I was little I used to tell people I was a virgin instead of a virgo. Also, I got the phrases "make up" and "make out" confused quite a lot.

So that party you invited me to? Are you just going to sell me Mary Kay stuff?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

rachel wrote:
bod wrote:That reminds me: when I was younger, I used to get the words 'protestant' and 'prostitute' confused - although I'm not sure I really understood what either of them was...

When I was little I used to tell people I was a virgin instead of a virgo. Also, I got the phrases "make up" and "make out" confused quite a lot.

Let's go makeup for a while. I'll make you a former virgo.

/bow-chicka-wow-wow

More importantly...

Are you sure there's a difference between Protestant and Prostitute?

(Second Talon: Insulting branches of religious faith for no good reason since 1986)

Return to “General”