What do you see when you rub your eyes?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

What do you see when you rub your eyes?

Postby The Ethos » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:53 am UTC

This is something I've always wondered. Is there a theme or motif that everyone seems to see?

Just to standardize... Close your eyes, cover them with your fingers, and give a little rub.
Yes, it feels good. Not too hard, wouldn't want to scratch anything.

Now, look.

What do you see? Please be realistic, no "Hitler juggling beercans" (Unless that is truly what you see)
I'm not asking what you visualize, but what do you SEE...shapes? patterns? Anything?

/Genuinely curious
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture
The Ethos

Re: What do you see when you rub your eyes?

Postby reishka » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I see little tiny alternating black and yellow squares. They're not symmetrical, and seem to follow the contours of some invisible shape.. seems to be circles. (Kind of think of those optical illusions of circles made with blue and yellow squares inside them).

If I push harder, I get little yellow sparklies as another layer.
reishka

Postby pollywog » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:07 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:Hitler juggling beercans

I get Stalin.

But more seriously, I get flashes of black and red, but I really have to rub till it hurts to get even the slightest reaction. The flashes are me pressing on my eyeballs pretty damn hard. Anything less that that and I just get fuzzy vision.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby elminster » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:11 am UTC

reishka wrote:I see little tiny alternating black and yellow squares. They're not symmetrical, and seem to follow the contours of some invisible shape.. seems to be circles. (Kind of think of those optical illusions of circles made with blue and yellow squares inside them).

If I push harder, I get little yellow sparklies as another layer.

Very much the same, except black and white.

I love getting the yellow sparkles ("Seeing stars"), although It rarely seems to happen and I'd prefer not repeatedly attempting it as my vision is getting worse as it is.

Sometimes, I seen a yellow/orange slightly fuzzy doughnut shape, but the weird thing about it is that it's one of the few things that seem to physically exist pure from just looking at it (Only when I really focus on it though). At times it's as if it's just as real and solid as any real world object.
elminster

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:12 am UTC

Darker purple.
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby WraithXt1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:20 am UTC

For me it almost looks like the "snow" you get when your TV doesnt get a signal. Strange.
WraithXt1

Postby Shadow Tyrant » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:38 am UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:For me it almost looks like the "snow" you get when your TV doesnt get a signal. Strange.

Much like this, except mine are more abstract and defined shapes than just little specks. And if I stare long enough, they start to make patterns and warp. Kinda like the visualizers for iTunes, WMP, etc.
Trade your old video games for new ones with Goozex!
Shadow Tyrant

Postby Rat » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:48 am UTC

nothing(edit:at the moment)... blur... maybe it's the lighting... or the drugs....

i catch your drift though

sometimes i like to watch the little dots "float away"...

i like that it draws my attention towards it and makes me turn my head even though it's in my eyes and if i dont move my head it stays in the same spot
Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Verator » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:10 am UTC

Well, if I keep my eyes closed and concentrate on the weird things, I get little skulls and amorphous mutating 3d shapes floating around.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises
Verator

Postby Anpheus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:34 am UTC

If I close my eyes very tightly, clench them as closed as I can, I see fractal like images that expand, shift, and change color. Sometimes they are simple alternating patterns, sometimes intricate. Sometimes cloudy and hard to see, as if he primary colors were amorphous entities fighting for dominance.
Spoiler:
Code: Select all
  /###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/
Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:30 pm UTC

Geometric squares with various designs in them, somewhat reminiscent of viewing farmland from an airplane. Checkerboard patterns as well. All of it rotating both counter-clockwise and clockwise. Two overlays, basically, so I'm going to assume that each eye is doing it's own thing.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby chaosspawn » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

If I press in one area I'll get a little black spot with a thin yellow outline on the other side of my eye. Resting with my palms hitting my eyes gives a strange landscape of thin shifting black shapes against a dark green or red background. Also white lines stretch from the outer edges pointing towards the center.
This space intentionally left blank.
chaosspawn

Postby Nexus_1101 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:37 pm UTC

The best way to discribe it is gray sploges
HOSTING -> Heroquest
:idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
IF (NOTFORUMGAME()) {
    postcount.add(1);
}
Nexus_1101

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:44 pm UTC

purplish-green hexagons.
I've always been interested in this. Your eyes sending fake signals to your brian: Why?

Edit: I get the doughnut too.
Last edited by Alpha Omicron on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:58 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.
Alpha Omicron

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

At first it looks like a black and white (or grey) checkered pattern, but it's not as well-defined as a checkerboard or the checkered pattern usually associated with the description. It's almost like an Escher drawing inside my eyeballs.

If I hold it for a bit longer, I see the "sparklies" someone else described, and sometimes they form into the glowing doughnut. If I open my eyes, I see the doughnut for at least another 10 minutes or so.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby joeframbach » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 pm UTC

Anpheus wrote:If I close my eyes very tightly, clench them as closed as I can, I see fractal like images that expand, shift, and change color. Sometimes they are simple alternating patterns, sometimes intricate. Sometimes cloudy and hard to see, as if he primary colors were amorphous entities fighting for dominance.

Bingo. That's it.
xxv/♂/♫
joeframbach

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:17 pm UTC

I get this weird circle of purple flash before disappearing under a tan attack of what looks like they could be checkerboards except that they're rounded in a strange way (think checkerboards stretched over spheres) and everything's moving. Also, when I open my eyes again, I'm temporarily blind, so probably don't want to mess around too much ^^x.
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.
Savoy_Truffle

Postby sarahnade » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:19 pm UTC

Two fuzzy circles (one for each eye) that are anywhere from burnt orange to dark green to black. Behind them is the "TV snow" like someone described. But it's not black and white, it's very muted. None of the colors are vivid unless I'm pushing really hard. And in front of everything may be a sparkle or two floating around, or maybe a streak of light.
sarahnade
Sexiest Man on the Forum

Postby d3adf001 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

i normally see black with yellow fractals that some in and spiral if i press a little bit they change to green and blue and are slightly different fractals. its really fun to do but i dont do it often because i think it might be bad for my eyes
d3adf001

Postby Prole » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:16 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:At first it looks like a black and white (or grey) checkered pattern, but it's not as well-defined as a checkerboard or the checkered pattern usually associated with the description. It's almost like an Escher drawing inside my eyeballs.

If I hold it for a bit longer, I see the "sparklies" someone else described, and sometimes they form into the glowing doughnut. If I open my eyes, I see the doughnut for at least another 10 minutes or so.

I get the same. Black and white checks, melding into colour sometimes.
Prole

Postby b.i.o » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:29 pm UTC

I tried twice to test this out. The first I just got random dark colors in quick succession. The second I saw a repeating diamond pattern where all the diamonds were outlined by a dull yellow color and everything else was black/dark purple.
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

Well, I've just been doing that for two minutes and I can barely see what I'm typing because of the swirly yellow squares.

First it's like some yellow swirly stuff, then it all clears away from the middle in a (very) vaguely circular shape to reveal a bunch of multi-coloured points of light that kinda... flash. They don't exactly flash as in disappear for a time, but flashing is the closest word I have. Then a bunch of yellow and black squares build inwards towards the centre, but if I move my eyes they middle bit turns into the first yellow swirly stuff. If I can hold my eyes in place long enough, the squares completely fill up my vision, and there's occasionally a huge, slow-moving ripple that travels across it. I know this quite well since when I was little I always used to do it because it looked cool. I'd jam the heels of my hands into my eyes and wait for the swirlies. Only annoying thing was that in primary school, if you have your eyes closed and your hands on them it often means you're crying, which got me a lot of "What's wrong?"s from other people. Damn people, I'm trying to trip out here! Go away!

As another interesting fact, if I close one eye, look at my nose with my open one and push my finger onto the tear duct area of my closed eye, a black circle with a fire-like orangey red rim appears on the very edge of my field of view.

I find it very interesting that yellow squares is the general consensus, which kinda implies its some in-built side-effect of uniform pressure on the eyes. Mis-firing optic nerves perhaps?
thecommabandit

Postby Metty » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:For me it almost looks like the "snow" you get when your TV doesnt get a signal. Strange.

I get something similar. A sort of static.

Then out of the middle of this static comes a black and yellow vibrating thing that slowly creeps closer until I can't focus on it and then it moves back and creeps forwards again. After a while everything fades to a brilliant white and then back to the static and the black and yellow vibrating thing.

I used to see that black and yellow vibrating thing and a hear a steady drum beat (which I assume was my heart) when I was younger at night when my room was dark and quiet.

Used to scare the shit out of me.
Metty

Postby Anpheus » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:53 pm UTC

sarahnade wrote:Two fuzzy circles (one for each eye) that are anywhere from burnt orange to dark green to black. Behind them is the "TV snow" like someone described. But it's not black and white, it's very muted. None of the colors are vivid unless I'm pushing really hard. And in front of everything may be a sparkle or two floating around, or maybe a streak of light.

Ah, so we are talking about two distinct phenomena here. When you press down on your eye, that occurs to me as well. When you clench your eyes, it appears at least one other person agrees on what I described.

Pressing down on the corner of my eye has always caused a dark colored region with a fuzzy and indestinct interior, the size of which is directly proportional to the pressure and direction it is coming from. (Do not, I repeat, do not carry out experiments with anything more than a light touch with sanitized fingers, you risk serious damage to your eyes, they are extremely sensitive!)
Spoiler:
  /###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/
Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

Dark green background with black splodges on it, moving around.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.
Mmmm, Pi

Postby Number3Pencils » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

Nothing consistent, apparently. I clenched my eyes once and got a checkerboard with a hole burned into it (think of projectors burning film). The second try, I got brief green blobs and then just black.
Spoiler:
Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing

Postby Kalessin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:54 pm UTC

I've gotten the checkerboards since.. hmm, I can remember back to about age 5. They're folded, twisted and moving, but with very distinct black-and-white checkerboard patterns, and eventually they fade out into static or dark colors. And, just like PatrickRsGhost, it's all very Escher-like...
Kalessin

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

A whole host of patterns in concentric circles that slowly fade towards the periphery. Strongly present are overlapping multicolored squares, and spiral fractals.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Puzzlemaker » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Yo Momma.

*cough*

Really though, colored dots. That move.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.
Puzzlemaker

Postby Klye » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:05 am UTC

I think it depends what I have previously been looking at.

The first time I tried I saw a green diamond with a yellow circle in it, the next time a slowly contracting circle made up of smaller blue circles. Interesting.
Phi wrote: Be careful when touching it though. It really expands.

Why would she say that?!?
Klye

Postby curious and questioning » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:47 am UTC

I see boring things.
When I gently close my eyes, since I'm in a lighted room, I see orangish blur. When I rub my eyes after that, I see black splotches take over my vision, but I can correlate them to where my fingers are. If I press hard, the blurriness turns into yellowish sparks in places near where I rub, though.
When I close my eyes as tight as I can, I see black, with faint yellow lines. When I rub my eyes after that, I see ghostly gray bits near the center at one point, then just black, and if it stays at just black for too long it turns into very dark orange, almost mixed with purple.

I remember seeing all these psychedelic colored patterns when I would close and rub my eyes when I was little. I wonder what happened.
[insert quote here]
curious and questioning

Postby Numquam » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:54 am UTC

First I see little red dots scattered around my field of view, and then a huge wave of purple rolled in from the left, which faded into a greenish color and is now a purple spot in the middle of my face after I opened my eyes and am now typing this. Weird?
admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas
Numquam

Postby MrHackman » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:25 am UTC

sort of like static on a tv, but alot more black, and the white is actually mostly multicolored, but really light. If I push in a certain dierection ona given eye, the colors tend to be around the same color.
And now my eyes are starting to hurt from pushing on them.
If four times five is twelve, and four times six is thirteen, and four times seven is fourteen, what base is next? And more importantly, who is doing the calculation? :)
MrHackman

Postby bluebambue » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:35 am UTC

this is cool, I thought all people saw the same thing :o

I see yellowy orange donuts that someone else discribed.

On a side note, when I nearly faint my vision becomes very yellow and hexagony.
bluebambue
An der schönen blauen Donau

Postby Ashbash » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:04 am UTC

If I do the above I get random little squiggles which move when i move my eyes, as if they were affected by some unique gravity. However when I clench my eyes shut and open them I get a black background with lots of red, blue and green dots that randomly appear and disappear in different places for a few seconds.

Interesting... I've never seen coloured shapes like a lot of people are describing...
Ashbash

Postby xooll » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:14 am UTC

bright, yellowish-greenish dots appear and form vague shapes, more reddish around the edges. Harder rubbing reveals a ring of yellow with the reddish edges.

More interesting is the patterns I get seemingly at random, noticable only when my eyes are closed. It starts looking like black and white puzzle pieces, but then these fade to reveal what looks like a contour map of some kind, drawn in the same yellowish-greenish mentioned above, which then is replaced by a gridlike pattern with each spot filled by a tight little yellowish-greenish spiral.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.
xooll

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:33 am UTC

I see phosphenes. Simple as that.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.
Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Memo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

When I close my eyes and rub them I can see vast stone surfaces – surfaces too great to belong to any thing right or proper for this earth. An abnormal, non-Euclidean place, and loathsomely redolent of spheres and dimensions apart from ours.
Memo

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

I don't see anything.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing
<Will> we've replaced his keyboard with a godzilla. let's see if he notices
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
The Mighty Thesaurus
a.k.a. The Puissant Lexicographical Tome

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

I'm not sure if you're doing it right.

I see what you see if you rub LCD screens (like on your calculator) except inside my eyes.
Death is the final sorrowful parting from which there is no return. But hope is not yet lost, for there is a simple incantation, a spell of transmutation that brings about the reversal, that permits escape from the infinite well.

"I was here with you"

That is my golden truth.
Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Next

Return to General