SCCA autox and getting into grassroots racing

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Re: SCCA autox and getting into grassroots racing

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

RX-7, CRX, MR2 are at the top of the list. Probably a mid-late '80s version.Or an AZ-1.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:45 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:RX-7, CRX, MR2 are at the top of the list. Probably a mid-late '80s version.Or an AZ-1.

My completely biased vote is for a CRX, you can still get them for stupid cheap, and mods/parts are pretty cheap as well. I was looking at them during the car shopping that ended up netting me the xB. Only reason I didn't buy one is I got a screaming deal on the xB.

EDIT: Damn, there are a lot of them on craigslist right now. This one looks interesting: http://providence.craigslist.org/car/663114198.html
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:36 pm UTC

Yeah, only problem is that I love rotaries and I've always wanted to try a mid-rear car out. Though CRXs are cool, too, but I'm not a huge fan of FF, but I am interested in how FFs race differently than FMRs.

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:42 am UTC

My first good autox car was a GSL-SE. The FC would be even better as the car needs a lot less suspension work to go well. The nice thing about them, and what put me in the GSL-SE over an MR-2, is that you can carry four race tires and a (tolerant and foldable) friend to events. I don't know everything ever about the MR-2, but I am a long-time owner and modifier of RX-7s, so if you find yourself with one I'll be happy to give tips & tricks. And don't rule out the ubiquitous Miata, there's a reason you see four or five at every event.

I would like a CRX to deliver pizza with, and they do autox well, but FWD is just not my cuppa.
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm comfortable with FCs, having had one before I got my 8. If we do do a purpose-built race car (which I really mean as a non-daily-driver and possibly non-street-legal if I can get a trailer and truck cheap enough) I think we'll at least bring a support car to carry tires and supplies and such. parka's ruling out roadsters, which I don't mind, as much fun as I think a Miata would be.

Heh, now I'm considering an NX2000 as well... Those look so cute.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

I wouldn't mind a Miata, but I can't promise you that it'd be the exclusively for racing car...

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

Miatas are one of the best cars you can get to learn to properly *drive*. They're not particularly fast, but handle like a dream, and can be had cheap, with a huge aftermarket.
wst wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Ugh, stretched tires do NOT look cool.

You've been in the wrong car cultures then :D
Well, it's cool if you're going sideways then ;)

Going sideways is never cool unless you're doing it as a result of a loose surface, in which case, sidewall strength is not you chief concern.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Going sideways is never cool unless you're doing it as a result of a loose surface, in which case, sidewall strength is not you chief concern.

Yes! Automotive events are determined by times. Figure skating is determined by judging. :mrgreen:
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

wst

Postby wst » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
wst wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Ugh, stretched tires do NOT look cool.

You've been in the wrong car cultures then :D
Well, it's cool if you're going sideways then ;)

Going sideways is never cool unless you're doing it as a result of a loose surface, in which case, sidewall strength is not you chief concern.

We people do have better ways of measuring drifts than by 'judging'.

Introducing...
clicky

EDIT: More of a reply to the & post, which I saw just as I clicked post (it said a new post had been done). And I rebuted 2 comments at once.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:31 am UTC

Such a sad turn of events. The guy who's been letting me drive his car for, oh, 7 years is moving to Tampa and taking the car with him. Since i just sold my RX-7 I'm completely without a car.

niko7865

Postby niko7865 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:36 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:RX-7, CRX, MR2 are at the top of the list. Probably a mid-late '80s version.Or an AZ-1.

I say go with the newest MR2 you can afford. I love my Mk2 '93, and it slightly outperforms my friends '86 Mk1, and is slightly outperformed by my dad's '05 Mk3. Mine is a nonturbo automatic and I can still keep up with most stock cars at the track. I've never had a problem drifting on wet asphalt or dirt/gravel.
21/m/athletic/white&nerdy/washington/straight/???

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

(Ain't no Necro like a Thread Necro!)

I decided I really wanted to run the xB for autocrossing so I could develop my skills some. I asked the CartCT group that I'd run the Comet in if there was any way I could run, or to provide a list of modifications needed to run. It was really clear they just flat out didn't want it there, as I was told that if I "Fully race prepared" my xB (whatever that means) they *might* let me run, but would revoke my right to run if they saw anything about its handling they didn't like.

I was commenting on this in their forums and a guy from the FCSCC invited me to run with them. He even contacted all the people in charge and got a definite that I would be allowed to run the xB so I wouldn't get any of the runaround that CartCT gave me.

So this Sunday(Sunday! SUNDAY!), assuming it isn't pouring rain, I'm going to their event in Stratford. I even fitted a new rear sway bar so Box might handle halfway decently.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

Awesome! Don't forget the camera. And if it starts to feel tippy, stop turning! :D It's a bummer you have to go through such trouble to run the car, though.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:05 pm UTC

So I did in fact run this weekend. My first run was a 50.47, the last of my 7 runs was a 46.85, and after two "fun runs" I was down to a 46.26. Not fast, but considering my ZeroSum in his RX-8 was running 44s and this was my first time out I'm happy. Also, no cones hit, which is a bit of a miracle.
Some pics:

http://www.pbase.com/sjmarcy/image/103149991
http://www.pbase.com/sjmarcy/image/103150198
http://www.pbase.com/sjmarcy/image/103150201

More pics here with shots of my Box near the beginning & end, also some shots of Zero's RX-8 sporting number 3(.)14. He and I were joking about needing "Team XKCD" stickers for next year.

As far as I can tell from asking people and from pictures I never so much as lifted an inside wheel, never mind getting tippy. And this is bone stock except for Monroe rear shocks (which are softer) and a Progress 22mm rear sway bar.

"Less bite, more wobble"

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:14 pm UTC

Awesome trend of improving times. I like to see a newbie hit a cone or two during the day, if you don't you're probably not hitting your apexes as close as you could. How were your times in your class?

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

I was 12 of 13 in "Rookie Touring". But considering the other people had all run before, and most had actual performance-type cars[1] I didn't have a chance. If I'd run in "First Timers"(which I could have justified since my 1 other run ever was in my '62 Comet) I would have come in 3rd.
Not really concerned about times, as I know I'm hopelessly outclassed since I'm stuck in STS with a near-stock car. I'm just glad I wasn't last.

Results here, I'm in the third category from the bottom.

[1]4 240sxs, 2 WRXs, 1 EVO, etc. I beat the Chevy Cobalt, but the Ford Fusion trounced me.

EDIT: I'm sure part of why I missed the cones is I'm used to driving larger cars. I still subconsciously think of Box as being a foot wider and a couple feet longer, and drive accordingly.

"Less bite, more wobble"

ks_physicist

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

MotorToad wrote:Such a sad turn of events. The guy who's been letting me drive his car for, oh, 7 years is moving to Tampa and taking the car with him. Since i just sold my RX-7 I'm completely without a car.

Ooh, I have always wanted to build one of those. What size engine?

I have a spare 150 hp Plymouth engine I could use...

MotorToad

Postby MotorToad » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

ks_physicist wrote:
Ooh, I have always wanted to build one of those. What size engine?

I have a spare 150 hp Plymouth engine I could use...
It's a '61 (+/-) vintage Gemini Formula Ford chassis which the owner found in a chicken coup in the '70s. The entire back half of the chassis was rotted by p00p so he built it around a 2.2 l VW Bus engine, heavily worked over, and a 914 box. It's about 9" shorter than the FF it came from and handles... lively. It has about twice the power it came with, too.

If you want something crazy and usually incredibly cheap, try to find an old FSAE car from a uni and replace its choked 600 with a literbike engine. They normally do a fair job on the chassis and suspension for the FSAE cars.

Return to “General”