Carpet Skates, I am so upset about this!

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Underscore

Carpet Skates, I am so upset about this!

Postby Underscore » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

I just KNOW at some point in my childhood while sliding around the kitchen with my socks the thought occurred to me "if socks will slide smoothly across the linoleum, then a footwear with a smooth linoleum-like substance on the bottom might enable me to slide around on the carpet!" and I should have invented it, but I didn't! Well, now I need to buy those....

mwace

Postby mwace » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:20 pm UTC

Hahaha, awesome

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:48 pm UTC

Make sure you spray the bottom with Pledge!

Also works on the bottom of plastic sleds.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:10 am UTC

how long will it take before the maker gets sued cause a kid goes flying into a corner of a wall and busts his head open? awesome idea, though.
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:43 am UTC

What, no link?

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

wmoonw

Postby wmoonw » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:42 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:how long will it take before the maker gets sued cause a kid goes flying into a corner of a wall and busts his head open? awesome idea, though.

This could lead to some incredible, fantastic accidents.... :lol: Did anyone else have carpeted stairs when they were younger, for instance?

Heh, if they didn't do their homework on these, they could lead to some excellent static electricity, too. Oh, the possibilities!

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:53 am UTC

my little brother (running) ran into some molding around a door when he was like 3... he has a nice harry potter-esque scar on his forehead now, cause the plastic surgeon decided to use the glue instead of stitches :( but whateva, it adds character
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:16 am UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote: but whateva, it adds character

And MAGIC SKILLZ!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Pau!
Dutiful Sycophant

Postby Pau! » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:22 am UTC

wmoonw wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:how long will it take before the maker gets sued cause a kid goes flying into a corner of a wall and busts his head open? awesome idea, though.

This could lead to some incredible, fantastic accidents.... :lol: Did anyone else have carpeted stairs when they were younger, for instance?

Heh, if they didn't do their homework on these, they could lead to some excellent static electricity, too. Oh, the possibilities!

Haha, yes. We would slide down the carpeted stairs, almost falling the whole way (Well, often we really did fall, which is probably why my toes bend funny), and then try to get the others to touch the metal doorknob.

Good fun :P
"Materialism and vanity are tools of youth and fear. We'll grow up. " Sarah Lyons

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:03 am UTC

Oh jeez. I need some of those. I really need a collection of footwear that will enable me to get to places without actually walking. First I gotta get some wheelies.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:03 am UTC

Ohhh, wheelie shoes! My dad wants a pair. Alas, there is no longer carpet in my house, so no carpet shoes for me. I can totally empathise with the "I should have thought/actually did think of that" feeling, though - my mum and I are nearly convinced people stand behind us in the grocery store and listen in on us. One time, we were talking about how we get two flavoured raviolis (raviolii, people? TJM, I suspect you'd know this one) and mix them together because we enjoy having the different flavours, and the next week on TV they were advertising mixed-flavour ravioli - in the brand and flavours we actually purchased. :shock:

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:18 am UTC

aisling wrote:Oh jeez. I need some of those. I really need a collection of footwear that will enable me to get to places without actually walking. First I gotta get some wheelies.

There's always the MC Hammer Slide...

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:19 pm UTC

Those pogo-stick shoes look pretty awesome too.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:21 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:Ohhh, wheelie shoes! My dad wants a pair. Alas, there is no longer carpet in my house, so no carpet shoes for me. I can totally empathise with the "I should have thought/actually did think of that" feeling, though - my mum and I are nearly convinced people stand behind us in the grocery store and listen in on us. One time, we were talking about how we get two flavoured raviolis (raviolii, people? TJM, I suspect you'd know this one) and mix them together because we enjoy having the different flavours, and the next week on TV they were advertising mixed-flavour ravioli - in the brand and flavours we actually purchased. :shock:

You should purchase some carpet from a store that sells that kind of thing. You can just lay it out in your hallway or something and use your carpet skates :D

The thing about your conversations with your mom is strange. My mom and I don't have people listen to us, but the wierdest coincidences always happen to us. One of us will talk to someone about someone else, then we'll see that person or something that pertains to the unique personality of that person. Or something. I was talking about playing guitar with my dad, and my guitar teacher drove by. My mom was reading a review of a new singer which compaired him to Freddie Mercury. Later on, I told her about the new movie coming out about Freddie Mercury's life and how they want Johnny Depp to play him. I have never talked about Freddie Mercury to my mom ever. EVER. Strange coincidences.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

Ever ridden a bike inside on old-house hardwood? The creaking sounds that the floor makes is quite unique.

With narrow road tires inflated to 110 psi, the pressure exerted is very high, but it moves flowingly.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:00 pm UTC

I had great fun sliding around in Fao Schwartz, NYC (sp?!) on these! *happy memories*
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:Ohhh, wheelie shoes! My dad wants a pair. Alas, there is no longer carpet in my house, so no carpet shoes for me. I can totally empathise with the "I should have thought/actually did think of that" feeling, though - my mum and I are nearly convinced people stand behind us in the grocery store and listen in on us. One time, we were talking about how we get two flavoured raviolis (raviolii, people? TJM, I suspect you'd know this one) and mix them together because we enjoy having the different flavours, and the next week on TV they were advertising mixed-flavour ravioli - in the brand and flavours we actually purchased. :shock:

erm... ravioli is plural anyway, so i guess... still ravioli? if you're using it as an english word then probably you could say raviolis, but if you were buying two different flavours of noodles or cakes you wouldn't say noodleses or cakeses (unless you enjoy those kind of cutesy constructions) so probably 'two ravioli'. that's probably what i'd say anyway, but i'm not even sure. man, i am the most indecisive person on the internet. maybe.
slow down, you move too fast

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

How about this:

"Y'all" is a plural second-person pronoun. "All y'all" is its emphatically plural form, referring to a larger group than just "y'all". This works really nicely, unless you're one of those fuddy-duddies that refuses to admit that the inventors of English fucked up by trying to make "you" do double duty.

Maybe "raviolis", similarly, can refer not just to a bunch of pieces of ravioli, but to a collection of different types of ravioli.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

Yay! That is what I was referring to, so therefore that is what I will use. :P

Nuclear Summer

Postby Nuclear Summer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:04 am UTC

My brother has these!

I haven't used them yet though...
My Band, Nuclear Summer
[url=http://myspace.com/lue402]Myspace
[/url]

zvezdogled

Postby zvezdogled » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:10 am UTC

QL!
"On 11 November 1997, Veronika decided that the moment to kill herself had – at last! - arrived."
- Paulo Coelho

Fishtopher

Postby Fishtopher » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:21 am UTC

I saw a pair of these at target, and really wanted them. I spend each night in regret I didn't purchase them.
Yes, I did have a bobblehead made in my likeness, and no, I am not ashamed that I did.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:48 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Yay! That is what I was referring to, so therefore that is what I will use. :P

I will have to warn you that my status as an Authority of the English Language does not extend outside of this thread. In fact, the United Nations doesn't even recognize its dominion outside of my own mind. So if you are shot down applying this usage elsewhere, I unfortunately can't help you without facing tough-worded resolutions and threats of economic sanctions.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:19 am UTC

I'm willing to take that risk. :D

Framling

Postby Framling » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:28 am UTC

aldimond wrote:...the inventors of English fucked up by trying to make "you" do double duty.

Esperanto was invented. Klingon was invented. Elvish was invented.

English evolved.
your = belonging to you
you're = you are
their = belonging to them
they're = they are
there = not here

xnull

Postby xnull » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:33 am UTC

Did you know starting out as a nation America almost chose to make our national language Hebrew? In fact, at its beginnings, Yale only taught in Hebrew. Superpatriots wanted to rid themselves of ties to the British and looked at Hebrew because it had ties with their Christian heritage.
This statement is false.

fletch44

Postby fletch44 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

I could never use "y'all" in my speech because I'd feel that I sounded like Bush, and that would make me sad :(

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

I don't use "ya'll" unless I'm trying to sound like a disgusting hick. Ye is the proper word for whaty ya'll does.

When you said carpet skates, I thought first of stingrays that look like sand.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:01 pm UTC

Verysillyman wrote:I don't use "ya'll" unless I'm trying to sound like a disgusting hick. Ye is the proper word for whaty ya'll does.

I don't use "ye" unless I'm trying to sound like a disgusting hick from the 17th century. Y'all is the proper word for what "ye" does. 8)

FMZ

Postby FMZ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

The thing about your conversations with your mom is strange. My mom and I don't have people listen to us, but the wierdest coincidences always happen to us. One of us will talk to someone about someone else, then we'll see that person or something that pertains to the unique personality of that person. Or something. I was talking about playing guitar with my dad, and my guitar teacher drove by. My mom was reading a review of a new singer which compaired him to Freddie Mercury. Later on, I told her about the new movie coming out about Freddie Mercury's life and how they want Johnny Depp to play him. I have never talked about Freddie Mercury to my mom ever. EVER. Strange coincidences.

aisling:

You may want to take a look at the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. ;)

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=417

This is not to say that I don't believe in meaningful coincidences, but the phenomenon is very real. :)

KJ

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

FMZ wrote:

aisling:

You may want to take a look at the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon. ;)

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=417

This is not to say that I don't believe in meaningful coincidences, but the phenomenon is very real. :)

KJ

Very interesting; I read what it was and slapped my hands on the table and exclaimed "Yes!"

This happens to me frequently; especially when I learn a new word and see it used somewhere else the next day. Thanks for the link :)
i hurd u liek mudkips???

thomasjmaccoll

Postby thomasjmaccoll » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:19 pm UTC

yeah, i get that all the time... well not so much any more, but a few years ago when i started reading a lot and i was coming across new words frequently, i'd suddenly notice them being used all the time. it is a pretty cool effect :)
slow down, you move too fast

Return to “General”