Who would have won the Cold War?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

The Warsaw Pact
23%
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
77%

Total votes: 22

Iscarabaid

Postby Iscarabaid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Well I always wanted to have a serious discussion about this question and the past times I have tried to attempt it didn't work out well which Is why I hope this can be considered serious enough for "Serious Business". Then again the only other times I've really had this discussion was in video game based forums where the only two opinions were American nationalism vs. American minors rooting for the opposing side, the Soviet Union with arguments built entirely on the fact that they had a "cooler" flag...
Anyways the question is simple enough I think to answer, just state which side you think would have won an all out world war, the two sides being The Warsaw Pact and the NATO Forces. I would hope you give a reason as to why you chose that side and any thoughts of why you think they would have won (such as tactics and statistics) is encouraged!
Another factor as to why this can be a hard question to answer is "In what year will the Cold War turn hot?". I'll let you decide on it if you really feel it makes a dramatic difference in your decision.

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Re: Who would have won the Cold War?

Postby Anpheus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:34 pm UTC

Africa. To a lesser degree, South America, south Asia.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Iscarabaid

Postby Iscarabaid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:41 pm UTC

Ugh I don't get it...

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

Well, North America, Europe, and northern Asia would all be a nuclear wasteland.

And everywhere else would be relatively unscathed.

The losers would be North America, Europe, and northern Asia. The winners would be everyone else. (They would win by default.)
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

Iscarabaid wrote:give a reason as to why you chose that side and any thoughts of why you think they would have won (such as tactics and statistics) is encouraged!

For your second post, how is this not a homework question?

Iscarabaid

Postby Iscarabaid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Well if it makes you feel better, It is the weekend and I don't have homework.

Witticism

Postby Witticism » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Iscarabaid wrote:give a reason as to why you chose that side and any thoughts of why you think they would have won (such as tactics and statistics) is encouraged!

For your second post, how is this not a homework question?

I'm with you. If it's not a question gleaned from homework or from end-of-chapter textbook Q's then we most certainly have a future teacher on our hands :P

Iscarabaid

Postby Iscarabaid » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:55 pm UTC

Alright so it sounds like a teacher question! But that doesn't mean this is a bad enough thread not worth answering with some respect to its author...

theonemephisto

Postby theonemephisto » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

I fail to see how anyone can win an all-out nuclear war where both sides have massive first and second strike capabilities. That's the very principle behind MAD, there can be no winners and therefore any war would be bad for everyone.

As said, the Americas, Europe, and most of Asia would be nuclear wastelands. Everyone would be dead. No winners.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:07 pm UTC

theonemephisto wrote:I fail to see how anyone can win an all-out nuclear war where both sides have massive first and second strike capabilities. That's the very principle behind MAD, there can be no winners and therefore any war would be bad for everyone.

As said, the Americas, Europe, and most of Asia would be nuclear wastelands. Everyone would be dead. No winners.

Seconded. If either side ever though they could win the Cold-War-Turned-Hot, it would have happened. With people like McNamara and Kissinger on the American side, and the Soviets on the Soviet side massive death was never an issue. They created enough death to prove that. So the most qualified people in the world to answer your question probably believed no one could ever hope to win.

I used to get homework on the weekend, and after that college work 24/7. If I'm doing your homework, I will be very unhappy.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

Puzzlemaker

Postby Puzzlemaker » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:20 pm UTC

You are all assuming that it goes to nuclear strikes... If one side sets off one nuke, then it knows the other side will too.

So I don't think either side will start nuking things, but the war will instead devolve into more conventional fighting.

However, if one side starts to lose they will indeed start using nukes.

It will probably end in a tie, with a huge amount of fighting, death, and then a declaration of peace before things got out of hand, with both sides not having got anywhere.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

I don't recall ever not getting weekend homework. Assign it on Friday, due on Monday.

Anyways, I'd have to say there would be no true winner, for all the reasons listed above. The fact that both nations had the nukes is proof that there was SOMEONE in power willing to use them, and the first-strike / response-strike would pretty much wipe out life on Earth. Or, to quote Captain Blackadder:

Blackadder:Well possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing is that it would be too much effort not to have a war... you see, Baldrick, in order to prevent a war in Europe, two super blocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast, opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way, there could never be a war.
    Baldrick:Except, well, this is sort of a war, isn't it?
    Blackadder:That's right, there was one tiny flaw in the plan.
    George:Oh, what was that?
    Blackadder:It was bollocks.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:51 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
    Blackadder:Well possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing is that it would be too much effort not to have a war... you see, Baldrick, in order to prevent a war in Europe, two super blocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast, opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way, there could never be a war.
    Baldrick:Except, well, this is sort of a war, isn't it?
    Blackadder:That's right, there was one tiny flaw in the plan.
    George:Oh, what was that?
    Blackadder:It was bollocks.

:mrgreen: One of my all time favourites. :mrgreen: However...
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I don't recall ever not getting weekend homework. Assign it on Friday, due on Monday, scramble to do it on Saturday evening apparently....

Fix'd.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

Sunday evening?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Garm

Postby Garm » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:51 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm with the sunday evening homework crowd. At least through high school. Once I declared my major in college it was work, work, work. Sadly, the year I graduated my school was number one party school in the nation. Can't say I ever noticed.

On topic: There is no winner in nuclear war. As others (Black Adder) have pointed out the cold war was about deterrence. Or sustaining the military industrial complex. There's this rather pernicious myth about how Reagan "won" the cold war by outbuilding the Russians. I think it was Zbigniew Brzezinski who said that Reagan's policy hastened by fall of the U.S.S.R. by a good seven to ten days. But yeah, if the cold war went hot.... The whole world loses.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

I tried to simulate nuclear war in Civ4. The result is that everybody dies.

Well, not everybody. But the world sort of becomes irradiated and a wasteland. So it's tough for anyone to survive thereafter.

The Third World might survive, relatively speaking, a little bit better. Though only on account of less irradiation. KF
~Kizyr

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:06 am UTC

Why isn't there a third option?

I miss otter.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:13 am UTC

This is so fucking stupid.

I don't know if anyones posted, but:

A) The US won the Cold War. That's how cold wars are won.

B) If there was an "all-out world war", the world would no longer exist. Have you never heard of MAD? Are you 14 or something?

So not SB.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:20 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:If there was an "all-out world war", the world would no longer exist. Have you never heard of MAD? Are you 14 or something?

Given the "it's the weekend (implies) no homework" comment, I'd have to say that the OP would have to be in middle school, tops. I can't remember the last time "weekend" implied "no homework" for me.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:52 am UTC

DUDE THE SOVIAT UNYUN TOTALY WUD HAVE ONE THEY HAVE A FUCING HAMMER AND SIKKLE :twisted: ON THERE FLAG

THE YCAN STILL EWIP US OUT HOEWVEER WE ARNT WERTH THE EFFERT :roll:

AMARECA DOSENT STAND A CHANSE LOL :lol:

HOPE THAT HELPS PEACE 8)

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:01 am UTC

its not even a matter of the southern hemisphere being more-or-less okay. if there had been an all-out nuclear war, there would be no more civilisation. nuclear winter is still a possibility if india and pakistan decide to mess one another up.
sure, people get killed in explosions and by radiation. thats not even the half of it though - the soil kicked into the atmosphere would bring about such radical climate change that agriculture would simply not work.

http://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/S ... orumNW.pdf
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:08 am UTC

And just so Adalwolf doesn't try to be a dick in this thread as well(you see, 70 is larger than 40) hunter-gatherer society wouldn't work either.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

photosinensis

Postby photosinensis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:09 am UTC

Have you ever seen Dr. Strangelove? That's the answer to your question, right there. It all comes down to the mine shaft gap, and in whose favor it lies.

If you've not seen that film, go forth and do so. Now.
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mournng, mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible!" I uttered, "Give me back my free hardcore!"
Quoth the server: 404.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:24 am UTC

Assuming no nuclear war, NATO would have won.

Why? For the same reason the Soviet Union collapsed. Better investment in technology and the military by the western capitalisms. Russia simply did not have the money to keep up.

Now, if Russia had detonated nukes over the western countries (as EMPs) and then invaded with their conventional armies, we might have been fucked. But in that case nuclear submarines are an unknown factor.

But generally, I think the sides are evenly matched enough that if we take into account things like espionage, the element of surprise, and first strike (conventional, not nuclear), then either side could have won depending on how they did it.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Um... Wasn't the point of the whole thing "MUTUALLY ASSURED destruction" No-one would win, everyone would have died. Hence the "Mutual Assurance".
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

btilly

Postby btilly » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:05 am UTC

Puzzlemaker wrote:You are all assuming that it goes to nuclear strikes... If one side sets off one nuke, then it knows the other side will too.

So I don't think either side will start nuking things, but the war will instead devolve into more conventional fighting.

It will probably end in a tie, with a huge amount of fighting, death, and then a declaration of peace before things got out of hand, with both sides not having got anywhere.

Sorry, no.

The Soviets had far more conventional troops than NATO did. NATO never bothered trying to achieve conventional equality because they had nuclear bombs and planned from the start on nuclear retaliation to conventional war. Furthermore if they were losing the conventional war, then NATO would be in a "use 'em or lose 'em" position because when their missile positions got overrun, if they didn't use them then they'd be wiped out.

So if the projections both sides relied on were true, NATO would have lost the conventional war, but it would inevitably go nuclear.

Random trivia. Multiple simulations run by multiple countries including both Pakistan and India have concluded that the next war between them would go nuclear. Therefore the last time it looked like they would go to war, the Pakistan military had a coup to avert this horrific possibility. That is how Musharraf came to power.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:11 pm UTC

I always feel skeptical about the whole "nuclear winter" idea. I mean, the USA and then-USSR have already detonated over 500 nuclear weapons each in the atmosphere. That's the same as the Soviets detonating 10 in each state of the USA.

They could do it all again, probably a couple of times over, without any catastrophic climate change.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

The cockroaches.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

Birdman wrote:I always feel skeptical about the whole "nuclear winter" idea. I mean, the USA and then-USSR have already detonated over 500 nuclear weapons each in the atmosphere. That's the same as the Soviets detonating 10 in each state of the USA.

They could do it all again, probably a couple of times over, without any catastrophic climate change.

Yes, but that was over 25 years of atmospheric testing. A war would be most likely bigger in megatonnage, and also all happen within the same day. That could easily cause climate change, or just massive irradiation. I don't think anyone really knows what the consequences of fallout from the testing are to ordinary people. The fact is everyone in the world got some of it in them, and it entered the food chain. Who knows what damage it has done?

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

Well, technically, we tried the Cold War and they lost.

If you mean, who would have won the Cold War had it gone hot, well...Whoever wins, we lose. It would have gone nuclear unless there was some absolutely amazing fighting done by NATO, because as a previous poster said, we didn't have the conventional arsenal to win.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:11 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:Well, technically, we tried the Cold War and they lost.
Well technically, as the cold war did not go hot, everyone won.
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

silent man

Postby silent man » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:The cockroaches.

Interestingly enough, no.

While they won't go extinct, like a certain species of mostly hairless apes, they will be reduced to their original habitat. Without all that delicious trash we produce and most importantly without our heated buildings to live in, the cockroach-population in the nothern industry states will die.
If there is a nuclear winter on top of that, they will be pushed back to the tropics.

Puzzlemaker

Postby Puzzlemaker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

btilly wrote:
Puzzlemaker wrote:You are all assuming that it goes to nuclear strikes... If one side sets off one nuke, then it knows the other side will too.

Sorry, no.

The Soviets had far more conventional troops than NATO did. NATO never bothered trying to achieve conventional equality because they had nuclear bombs and planned from the start on nuclear retaliation to conventional war. Furthermore if they were losing the conventional war, then NATO would be in a "use 'em or lose 'em" position because when their missile positions got overrun, if they didn't use them then they'd be wiped out.

So if the projections both sides relied on were true, NATO would have lost the conventional war, but it would inevitably go nuclear.

Random trivia. Multiple simulations run by multiple countries including both Pakistan and India have concluded that the next war between them would go nuclear. Therefore the last time it looked like they would go to war, the Pakistan military had a coup to avert this horrific possibility. That is how Musharraf came to power.

...Yeah? I said if one side starts losing, they will start using nukes. And the other side would know this, so they wouldn't push it.

If things where pushed beyond a safe point, the side would start using nukes instead of conventional forces.

Also, nice random trivia.
RezardVareth wrote:Bad argumentation can be painful to answer, but responding with empty logic just perpetuates the cycle.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

Much of the cold war was about bluffing. For much of the war, neither the US nor the Soviet Union knew that the other side was too chicken to actually use one of these things, so they both acted like they could and would at a moment's notice.

Direct traditional warfare would have produced nuclear war right away - there'd be no "wait until we start losing" dynamic going on.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

Habanero wrote:

Except for, you know, all the people who died.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Habanero

Postby Habanero » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Habanero wrote:

Yeah, there is that.
Why make things difficult when it is possible to make them cryptic and totally illogical with just a little bit more effort?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:51 am UTC

For much of the war, neither the US nor the Soviet Union knew that the other side was too chicken to actually use one of these things, so they both acted like they could and would at a moment's notice.

The attitudes of the USSR and the US were actually pretty radically different, especially from the 60s onwards. There are thousands of books you could and should read, but The Cold War by John Lewis Gaddis gives you a very basic rundown of the political setup, which most people seem to be rather ignorant of. It's very short, very simplified, and very pro-American, but nevertheless it's a pretty good introductory text for the average person.

Anpheus

Postby Anpheus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:53 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Habanero wrote:

Aperture Science
We do what we must
because we can.
For the good of all of us.
Except the ones who are dead.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

Birdman wrote:I always feel skeptical about the whole "nuclear winter" idea. I mean, the USA and then-USSR have already detonated over 500 nuclear weapons each in the atmosphere. That's the same as the Soviets detonating 10 in each state of the USA.

So shooting one person 500 times is the same thing as shooting 50 people 10 times each?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “General”