Speech Impediments

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Delbin

Re: Speech Impediments

Postby Delbin » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:23 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:so i get made fun of for saying water (wooder), wash (warsh), quarter (quwooder) all the time, there probably more but i cant think of them off the top of my head. it really doeant bother me anymore.

Some people just have that in their accent. My grandma talks like that.

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote: I'm still conscious of every "r" I say, absolutely detest saying my name, and am nowhere near perfect, there are still many words that I know give me obvious problems, especially where there's an "r" following a consonant, "Friday" for example, or "three", I have to make great effort to over-pronounce the "r" to get any kind of "r" sound whatsoever

That's interesting. I have much the same 'r' experience as you, except that I'm fine with the ones that give you trouble. The consonant doesn't seem to make any difference, but the fact that the 'r' starts the vowel sound instead of ending it works fine. I have issues with the 'r' after a vowel, 'air's and 'er's. People used to think I was English for dropping the ending 'er's sometimes. And I still hate having to introduce myself.
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Kineticka

Postby Kineticka » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

CaraInFrames wrote: I'm still conscious of every "r" I say, absolutely detest saying my name, and am nowhere near perfect, there are still many words that I know give me obvious problems, especially where there's an "r" following a consonant, "Friday" for example, or "three", I have to make great effort to over-pronounce the "r" to get any kind of "r" sound whatsoever

I'm pretty good with introductions, the issue comes with if I have to spell my last name out loud. In order for me to not hiss, S'es sound a bit like F's. I've resorted to "O as in, uh, Ostrich...I'm bad at this game...S as in Sam, S as in Sam, etc."

KicktheCAN
v "This used to be my penis!"

Postby KicktheCAN » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 am UTC

When I was younger I had a bad speech impediment. I was unable to pronounce an "L" sound so I substituted an "R" instead. I will always remember trying to say "pilot" and having it come out "pirate" instead. On top of that I had a huge stutter for which my sister made fun of me a lot. I went through, I think, a year of speech classes and I am (mostly) fine now. The rare stutter slips its way into my speech every now and then and I say "uh" and "um" a LOT. The real problem is when I get nervous or excited. Public speaking and my stutter is back in full force, I am lucky if I am intelligible. I can not actually speak in front of a crowd, I can read off of cue cards word for word, any deviation is not within my grasp. When I get overexcited (this happens fairly frequently) I stumble through my words and mispronounce a lot of things.
pollywog is awesome, that is all.
Addendum: Sethicus is also cool to the maximum.

Akira: i prefer monster black-man cocks.
Hoags: It's getting all 2vreks1CAN in here

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:36 am UTC

Flying Betty wrote:

That's interesting. I have much the same 'r' experience as you, except that I'm fine with the ones that give you trouble. The consonant doesn't seem to make any difference, but the fact that the 'r' starts the vowel sound instead of ending it works fine. I have issues with the 'r' after a vowel, 'air's and 'er's. People used to think I was English for dropping the ending 'er's sometimes. And I still hate having to introduce myself.

Ah, well I tend to under-pronounce "r" endings, too, but that doesn't bother me. It just sounds like an accent, as opposed to an actual disability in pronunciation.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

jynjin
Pretty swell. Nifty even!

Postby jynjin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:55 am UTC

I have problems speaking, and often it can be quite disconcerting. My brain and tongue do not align, especially when I am trying to debate an issue and feel strongly about it. The words flood my brain but get quite jumbled in the delivery. I'm not sure I could explain why or how it really comes across. I've been told I don't sound as intelligent as I really am, which is never lovely to hear. I will often transpose endings to words, stammer, or even rearrange the sentence structure completely. (Yoda I am not.) Ugh. It can be maddening when first meeting people.

Mister_Penguin

Postby Mister_Penguin » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:59 am UTC

I don't really have any, but when I was little I used to quietly repeat the last few words of what I said. It went away, though.

I do have an odd habit in other languages, though. One day in my discussion for first-semester Japanese, everyone started cracking up whenever I would talk. I took me weeks to realize that they were laughing because I kept screwing up the 'r' sound. Turns out I still have the r-rolling thing down from years of Spanish. It sounds really odd in Japanese.
"Only on XKCD do we try to figure out which tessellating shape for burgers results in the least waste-meat." -aleflamedyud

mmx49

Postby mmx49 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:47 am UTC

Man, a lot of people seem to have (or had) trouble with their 'r's, myself included. I went to speech therapy in fifth grade to take care of it, and didn't have to stay too long. For whatever reason, after I learned how to pronounce "roach" correctly, most of my problems with 'r' went away. *shrugs*

And my sympathies to everyone who was bullied because of a speech impediment. I can't imagine how trying that must've been.

Khonsu

Postby Khonsu » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:06 am UTC

All of you who do have clinically severe impediments: I'm sorry. It must absolutely suck; I imagine you don't need to hear it, but speech training is invaluable at any age. Look into it. :3

All of you who do NOT have clinically severe impediments:
Take at least 2 or more public speaking courses (if you have, take more, I love 'em and it's good to stay really on top of one's anxieties and social skills). There is no other way to remove your fear and debilitation than to face it head on, and the emotional high from a job well done lasts for days!

Just get used to reading things aloud to yourself in private. Get used to your voice, and be MINDFUL (like, spiritually, emotionally, physically mindful) of how you feel and react to those feelings while speaking aloud. The best thing you can do is make public speaking or just speaking to others a non-issue. I used to stammer pretty badly, and sometimes I still do, but you have to imagine your words flowing like water or similar (or whatever mental image helps you to feel peace) and NOT get upset if you notice your voice modulation is awkward. Just change it to a more slow, conversational, confident-sounding tone even if you're nervous as hell. The best way to become confident is to get used to thinking "how would I do this if I were confident?" and then just DO it. Over time, you'll fall into an easygoing, smiling habitual confidence, and that will make you feel better and make that confidence a reality.

Yes, public speaking is THE number one fear of Americans. It shouldn't be--all it takes is practice and realizing that it's really not the end of the world. Imagine your success (polite clapping or even a standing ovation) as you go up to the podium and just take a few deep, calming in through the nose out through the mouth breaths and just focus all your might and mien on doing well. If you notice you feel exhilarated, pause with a fist to your face as though you're politely clearing your throat (always touch/hold something or make a fist to appear like you're not shaking) and think "Am I slow and easygoing up here?" If the answer is "no," force yourself to think about something you ARE knowledgeable in. Anything. Realize that you worked your ass off to be nearly as knowledgeable in THIS speech's topic. Prepare your ass off. Remember that you did this, and then forcefully speak more slowly, and just fight to maintain that conversational, calm tone (stay away from monotone--imagine you're an actor delivering the Big Scene).

Misc. tips: don't lock your knees so you won't sway, only allow your feet to go one step forward, backward, or side to side, and let your eyes gently graze over the fifth row (I prefer this, most people glance repeatedly at the middle) before darting to the head honcho in the crowd (prof, boss, whoever) and confidently maintain eye contact and "talk to them" for a bit, then graze your eyes over the second row, darting now and then to the first. This makes your eyes less likely to dilate, makes you appear as though you're confidently schooling everyone, and just looks aesthetically pleasing.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:17 am UTC

I used to have a major problem with any sort of public speaking, and it's lesser now, but still there. It's just a total fear of it, that used to make me consider making myself sick or skiving off of lessons where I'd have to do it.

I've managed to do a presentation or 3 in the last 2 years, but for 3 years before that my response would be to BS my way out of it or just flat out refuse.

I still turn beet red talking in public.

I also have a writing/typing impediment, where I will write a word that I intend to write in a sentence or so's time, or I try writing 2 words at once. Mind you, I'd break any pen or keyboard if I could write/type as fast as thewords flow. But it ends up crippling my writing/typing speed as I have to go back mentally to the word I actually should have written/typed, so I'm awful at essays.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:46 am UTC

Sorry Khonsu, I fall into the first category and there's no such luck. Multiple incurable components, and they make the curable ones resistant to the best attempts to cure them. Isn't that just "mufuggin" fantastic?

Yes, I am bitter about it.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

When my mouth gets dry I start to mispronounce words. The drier the more it happens.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:43 pm UTC

Not exactly an impediment (I've always been pretty good at parroting sounds), but if I'm speaking to a small audience (i.e. answering a professor's question) I sometimes get a block in my throat -- like it refuses to make any noise -- though I know it's not nervousness (I've been speaking in front of people since I was about 10 years old *yay class president*). It makes it really hard to be as eloquent as I want to be, and I feel like I come off sounding stupid. Of course, this really only happens in front of people whose opinion I care about, so.... :?
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

jynjin wrote:I have problems speaking, and often it can be quite disconcerting. My brain and tongue do not align, especially when I am trying to debate an issue and feel strongly about it. The words flood my brain but get quite jumbled in the delivery. I'm not sure I could explain why or how it really comes across. I've been told I don't sound as intelligent as I really am, which is never lovely to hear. I will often transpose endings to words, stammer, or even rearrange the sentence structure completely. (Yoda I am not.) Ugh. It can be maddening when first meeting people.

I have a similar issue, and I transpose entire word parts or words rather than just the ends... I sometimes mix double letters in sentences... "I hope that boss (box) was the one the mouse pixxed (pissed) on" is one example that JUST NOW happened (someone stole my Chiclets)... This becomes extra confusing if I catch myself mid-sentence and correct it... Someone mentioned earlier that they had trouble 'finding' the words they needed often, and that happens to me as well... I also have a naturally 'soft' voice... if my speech sounds loud to my ears, people still have a hard time hearing it. I end up repeating myself pretty often, for one reason or another, and the irritation from that makes me pretty silent in person, at least until people get to know me well enough to actuall listen :P
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

SilentSigil wrote:I also have a naturally 'soft' voice... if my speech sounds loud to my ears, people still have a hard time hearing it. I end up repeating myself pretty often, for one reason or another, and the irritation from that makes me pretty silent in person, at least until people get to know me well enough to actuall listen :P

I hate it when people tell me to speak up, and I'm speaking loud enough. Though I speak louder when I'm having fun.

And when my voice broke, it went almost overnight in a school term, and I was getting funny looks from people as my voice went from fairly high to the lowest in the school. Woo testosterone. (It actually broke twice, once I think due to a cold or something)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

Delbin wrote:
d3adf001 wrote:so i get made fun of for saying water (wooder), wash (warsh), quarter (quwooder) all the time, there probably more but i cant think of them off the top of my head. it really doeant bother me anymore.

Some people just have that in their accent. My grandma talks like that.

My grandmother sounded almost like that. I don't remember how she pronounced "water" or "quarter", but she did pronounce "wash" as "warsh". She also pronounced "daughter" as "dortur."
PRG

An important message for you:

SilentSigil

Postby SilentSigil » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:58 pm UTC

wst wrote: hate it when people tell me to speak up, and I'm speaking loud enough. Though I speak louder when I'm having fun.

And when my voice broke, it went almost overnight in a school term, and I was getting funny looks from people as my voice went from fairly high to the lowest in the school. Woo testosterone. (It actually broke twice, once I think due to a cold or something)

Yeah, I hate that kind of thing. Talking for more than 5 minute stretches is actually enough to make me hoarse now, since I don't speak that much... I feel like I've had a cold or something and my vocal cords need to relax for a minute.

I don't know how deep my voice is really, no one has described it to me, and I'm prett sure I sound different to myself than what other people hear, since they claim not to hear me pretty often.

Although they do seem quite surprised and scared when I raise my voice enough for them to hear me... I guess they are just surprised or something... it gets to me after a while though... :P people are silly jerks without thinking about it sometimes...
If I say that this is left purposely blank, then the statement contradicts the reality, which is that the sig space was not left blank, but had the words 'This space left purposely blank' in it.

ASmileWithoutACat

Postby ASmileWithoutACat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

SilentSigil wrote:
wst wrote: hate it when people tell me to speak up, and I'm speaking loud enough. Though I speak louder when I'm having fun.

Yeah, I hate that kind of thing. Talking for more than 5 minute stretches is actually enough to make me hoarse now, since I don't speak that much... I feel like I've had a cold or something and my vocal cords need to relax for a minute.

Damn, somebody said this before I did...

But yes, I hate always being told to speak up- the one time in my life I actually had a speaking role in a play (school play, long story), the teacher directing actually pulled me out during rehearsal, took me to another classroom, stood me in the opposite corner, and told me to talk until I was projecting enough for him to hear. Most frustrating half-hour of my life.

I don't know about others, but I think for me the cause is a combination of intense shyness and trying not to be noticeable (I walk fairly quiet too, which leads to interesting moments, say, on a dark catwalk when people suddenly turn around >:)), and all my senses being slightly too sensitive (sunlight/fluorescent lights are a little painful, a little bit of perfume is cloying, etc. Same goes for sounds).

Anyway, as far as more... ah... "traditional" speech problems, I have a weird almost-stutter- I don't repeat sounds, but I'll stumble over words and double them, or parts of them. Difficult words do this, but mostly I think it's a space-filler while I think- it irritates me, but I can't get rid of it. My only other speech problem is my pronunciation- I really hate Southern accents, especially my own (clarification: I hate the "lower-class" Southern accent- it may be diction more than accent that annoys me), and learning phonics left me woefully unprepared for loanwords from foreign languages. I have horrible memories connected with the word asylum...
You know it's all beginning
To feel like pretending...

Happy yesterday to all!

wst

Postby wst » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

SilentSigil wrote:Yeah, I hate that kind of thing. Talking for more than 5 minute stretches is actually enough to make me hoarse now, since I don't speak that much... I feel like I've had a cold or something and my vocal cords need to relax for a minute.

I don't know how deep my voice is really, no one has described it to me, and I'm prett sure I sound different to myself than what other people hear, since they claim not to hear me pretty often.

Well, when I get those spammy phone calls they think I own the house, so mine's pretty deep. Plus, I can do a perfect 'Snape' from Potterpuppetpals, and I'm working on 'Big Fat Nothing' from the CapitalOne ads.

I recorded my voice once or twice on Audacious, I should try it again now and see what it's like now.

Return to “General”