US Presidential Primaries - discussion

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Who would you vote for?

Barack Obama
54%
Hillary Clinton
2%
John Edwards
4%
Mike Huckabee
2%
Rudy Guiliani
1%
Mitt Romney
3%
the Ronpaul
8%
John McCain
5%
I am a whiny person and vote for Bill Richardson
2%
Thompson, Fred Thompson
1%
other
4%
otter
14%

Total votes: 173

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Re: US Presidential Primaries - discussion

Postby Twasbrillig » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:
ZeroSum wrote:
The Gold Standard
He's not trying to reimplement the gold standard, just to make gold considered legal tender and exempt from sales tax. That way citizens can decide for themselves if they want gold-backed currency or fiat currency.
Which is about as terrible an idea. Having two or more currencies within one nation is just not very bright.

Not to mention having one's currency directly tied to a commodity. That's just plain idiocy.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

btilly

Postby btilly » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Weird thought I had at lunch.

Anyone care to bet on whether Oprah Winfrey runs for President in the next dozen years or so?

She's got the name recognition.
She's got the constituency.
She's got the money.
She's developing the political connections stumping for Obama.

Heck, I wouldn't even be shocked if she was tapped as nominee for Vice President!

bbctol wrote:Obama is probably my favorite out of the Democrats, although this is practically by default, as the Democrats kind of suck this year. Moving on to Huckabee.

I am absolutely infuriated that someone like Huckabee can win a caucus. The man has no policies, and what opinions he has are dumb. He is surviving on charisma on appeals to religion and "family values" or some shit. This is the biggest problem with democracy, quite frankly. Charisma has no real effect on how well one leads, but it does mean that Huckabee can win the Iowa caucus. Grr.

Heh. I'm actually thinking of donating to his campaign. Not because I like him, but because I want the Republicans to have an unelectable nominee. :twisted:
@trophy wrote:Anyways there's some stuff the Ronpaul says that really irks me (the immigrants thing being one of them) but I really don't understand the hating on the gold standard in here. Look at what happened to Mexico following NAFTA if you want to know why the gold standard is a good idea. Every time fiat money has been tried in the history of the planet, it has failed... spectacularly. Looking at it, anybody can see why. You're essentially pretending that more money exists. Well, at some point, that's not going to work anymore. Our country will be no exception. It's just a matter of how long it'll take for it to finally hit the fan.

The hating of the gold standard is because some of us understand economics.

Come back to us when you understand Gresham's Law and its relevance to how we wound up on a fiat system. Oh don't come back then, instead I'd suggest you learn about why it is critically important to avoid deflation. (Something economists have been painfully aware of since the Great Depression.) Then you can come back and tell us why a fiat currency is a Good ThingTM and we'll happily listen.

While I understand the risk of a currency collapse, and I'm painfully aware of how often it has happened in the past (including in this country), the risk of currency collapse is a far smaller deal than the issues with basing our currency on something whose price cannot be easily manipulated for the public good by central banks. Yes, I know you believe that such manipulation is horrible and wrong. However it has a purpose, and I'd highly recommend that you learn what that purpose is.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

btilly wrote:Heh. I'm actually thinking of donating to his campaign. Not because I like him, but because I want the Republicans to have an unelectable nominee. :twisted:
Please stop underestimating the power of stupid people in large groups. Giving this guy money would only help him reach out to more of these.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:12 pm UTC

btilly wrote:Weird thought I had at lunch.

Anyone care to bet on whether Oprah Winfrey runs for President in the next dozen years or so?

She's got the name recognition.
She's got the constituency.
She's got the money.
She's developing the political connections stumping for Obama.

Heck, I wouldn't even be shocked if she was tapped as nominee for Vice President!

I seriously doubt it, but it'd be great if Obama chose her as his VP. I mean he'd steal the female vote from Clinton so hard.
By the way, do you know who else speculated about the very same thing?
Michael Moore :twisted:
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

libellule

Postby libellule » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

<stuff about no longer being able to avoid Oprah>

Ugh I hope not. Obama actually seems to be a fairly serious person, a quality we've lacked in a president for some time. The candidates who are serious typically put on a dumbass act for the duration of their campaign and end up losing because it's so embarrassingly fake.

masher

Postby masher » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:series of primary elections or caucuses (each state sets its own rules) that determines the candidate to be fielded by that party

This is the cause of my confusedness.

So the Dems and Reps (ignoring other parties) can put up as many candidates for president as they want.

Then the states vote on who they like the most

Then the states vote again to give votes to the electoral college who then actually vote for the president?

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

Typically, it's one candidate per party. Any other Dems/Reps that want to run will run as an independent. None of the other parties are ever even a close third. Dems and Reps always take the vast majority of the votes.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

Disclaimer: I have not read most of this thread

I really like Obama, mostly because I think he's the most sane person who stands a real chance of becoming president. My biggest fear is that once in office, Obama will be another do-nothing Democrat like Clinton (whose only major accomplishment in eight years was getting a blowjob from an intern).

I've been inspired by Edwards, as he's the only real cantidate who has come out and said "the system is broken and we need to fix it." It is, and we do.

I fucking hate Hillary. Her reaction to the Hot Coffee debacle is only the first in a laundry list of reasons why I don't want her anywhere near politics, let alone the oval office.

But I have a severe issue with all the leading cantidates right now, and I think Wil Wheaton summed it up better than I can:
Wil Wheaton wrote:It is outrageous that Senators Clinton, Obama and Biden are asking for our votes, but are unwilling to provide leadership now. If they won't stand up for the principles we all hold dear when they're trying to earn our votes, how can we expect them to do it once they're in the White House? Leadership is doing the right thing when it's risky and when it's unpopular.

All of the major (i.e. likely to become president) Democratic cantidates are members of Congress. They have the opportunity to do something to help this country, right now, when we desperately need them to do something, and they have chosen instead to do nothing and focus entirely on their campaigns instead. This inspires very little confidence, and in fact makes me feel that all these people, including Obama, care more about cementing their own power than actually doing what's best for this country.

So, I guess what really scares me, is that no matter who ends up in the White House, that person is going to do nothing to reverse the damage Bush has done to this country. I'm afraid that none of them actually care as much about this country as they do about securing their own power. I'm afraid that even with a strong president, Congress will continue to be too spineless to do anything to reverse the damage Bush has done; they've already shown they can't even stop Bush when they have a gorram majority, moderate Republicans willing to work with them, and the support of the American people.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

btilly wrote:While I understand the risk of a currency collapse, and I'm painfully aware of how often it has happened in the past (including in this country), the risk of currency collapse is a far smaller deal than the issues with basing our currency on something whose price cannot be easily manipulated for the public good by central banks. Yes, I know you believe that such manipulation is horrible and wrong. However it has a purpose, and I'd highly recommend that you learn what that purpose is.

Been there, done that. I found the idea that value was created every time anyone does something to be horseshit. It ranks right up there with the window maker paying the kid to break windows, and people thinking that's good for the economy. If the kid hadn't broken his windows, the baker would have had the windows AND some more flour, but now he only has the windows. However, as internet arguments are not winnable by any stretch of the imagination, and this is off topic for this thread, I'll just leave it at "You go your way and I'll go mine."

And if you feel like it, go ahead and read You Economists Don't Get It, Do You?
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:26 am UTC

Will wrote:My biggest fear is that once in office, Obama will be another do-nothing Democrat like Clinton (whose only major accomplishment in eight years was getting a blowjob from an intern).

I'd argue that, he did loads for the American economy and image. Were he not a weenie-wagger, he would have been one of the best presidents (in terms of accomplishments, not personality... he was a bit of a buffoon in public) of the century.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Antimatter Spork

Postby Antimatter Spork » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:44 am UTC

Will wrote:All of the major (i.e. likely to become president) Democratic cantidates are members of Congress. They have the opportunity to do something to help this country, right now, when we desperately need them to do something, and they have chosen instead to do nothing and focus entirely on their campaigns instead

Yeah, look how well campaigning while actually trying to get stuff done in Congress worked for Chris Dodd.
Albert Schweitzer wrote:There are two means of refuge from the misery of life — music and cats.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:58 am UTC

Been there, done that. I found the idea that value was created every time anyone does something to be horseshit.

Erm. So what exactly are you trading money for, when you buy a service? The raw materials? The food the guy ate that day that's letting him perform the service? No. Because neither the raw materials or the food cause that service to break even. So what are you paying for?

You're paying for the service itself. Therefore, the service has value, or you'd be trading something for nothing. The service has value, and therefore, by turning raw materials and food into something that is worth more than raw materials and food, he has generated value that wasn't there before.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

N.K.

Postby N.K. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:03 am UTC

I like Dennis Kucinich best.

But I don't see him having much of a chance, to be honest. So Obama. =D

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:08 am UTC

Dude, I fucking love Kucinich.

And I've worked for him!

They/them

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:16 am UTC

He's a pocket master
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

N.K.

Postby N.K. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:26 am UTC

Belial wrote:Dude, I fucking love Kucinich.

And I've worked for him!

Seriously?

Have you ever met him in person?

Also, it pisses me off when everyone whines about how he saw a UFO. He saw a flying object he couldn't identify; that does NOT mean he saw aliens!

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:33 am UTC

I did not even slightly meet him. I did telephone political polling for a while. I've worked indirectly for a pretty decent cross-section of all the democrats that ran for congress, state senate, or governor between...3 and 6 years ago.

They/them

J Spade
Luppoewagan

Postby J Spade » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:36 am UTC

Quite frankly, the otter has my vote.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:51 am UTC

J Spade wrote:Quite frankly, the otter has my vote.

He does have a compelling platform.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:57 am UTC

Belial wrote:
Been there, done that. I found the idea that value was created every time anyone does something to be horseshit.

Erm. So what exactly are you trading money for, when you buy a service? The raw materials? The food the guy ate that day that's letting him perform the service? No. Because neither the raw materials or the food cause that service to break even. So what are you paying for?

You're paying for the service itself. Therefore, the service has value, or you'd be trading something for nothing. The service has value, and therefore, by turning raw materials and food into something that is worth more than raw materials and food, he has generated value that wasn't there before.

I'm paying for the service, you're right. I'm paying to be able to spend my time on something else besides mowing my lawn, or fixing my car, or whatever the service is. But they aren't creating value... they're spending time fixing my car that they could otherwise be using to do something else. So whatever value comes out on my end as not having to do shit, went in on their end by actually having to do the shit. The money is compensation for them giving me their time. In the case of goods, the extra value besides the raw materials comes from the fact that someone, somewhere put their time into adding those raw materials together in an interesting or useful way. Value went in on their end because if they hadn't of been busy working with the raw materials they could have been doing something else productive.

In other words, time == money.

There are economists who agree with me on this model, but the mainstream still holds to the "We can create more and more value and there's no upper bound." model of things.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:11 am UTC

If time=value then value is being created constantly as we move forward in time.

Furthermore, what happens when I invent an object that takes $5 worth of raw materials and does a thousand dollars worth of work? That work was worth something. That machine created that work out of 5 dollars worth of raw material.

Value from less value.

They/them

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:15 am UTC

bbctol wrote:Obama is probably my favorite out of the Democrats, although this is practically by default, as the Democrats kind of suck this year. Moving on to Huckabee.

uh, the democrats kind of rule this year. They have the first well known female and non-white candidates that are running serious campaigns that have a good chance of getting elected. Beyond that, even the rejects from Iowa would have made great candidates if the top 3 spots weren't taken up by such high profile figures- take a look at Bill Richardson's accomplishments for example, or Joe Biden.

I am absolutely infuriated that someone like Huckabee can win a caucus. The man has no policies, and what opinions he has are dumb. He is surviving on charisma on appeals to religion and "family values" or some shit. This is the biggest problem with democracy, quite frankly. Charisma has no real effect on how well one leads, but it does mean that Huckabee can win the Iowa caucus. Grr.

A sure sign that Christian Evangelicals are signing their own death note by insisting on choosing candidates based solely on their beliefs. I agree, Huckabee is crap on foreign policy and in fact most policy and will probably fall apart under national scrutiny. Don't blame democracy. Evangelicals (who are plentiful in Iowa) vote based on their beliefs, and the alternatives are rife with secularism, divorce, catholicism and mormonism. What the hell did you expect?

I had wanted Hillary to win but after seeing the speeches yesterday I'm starting to change my mind. Obama blew the other two out of the water. I guess inspiring idealism over realism is what people want and it's secretly what I want, but I don't know if it's enough to get someone elected. It's obvious that Obama's victory came from younger people coming out to vote in large numbers, meaning he'll need young people all over the country to vote for him, which may or may not happen in the end. Almost twice as many democrats voted in the Iowa caucuses as republicans. That's the best news of the day for me :D.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

N.K.

Postby N.K. » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:15 am UTC

Belial wrote:I did not even slightly meet him. I did telephone political polling for a while. I've worked indirectly for a pretty decent cross-section of all the democrats that ran for congress, state senate, or governor between...3 and 6 years ago.

Aww, oh well. Still pretty neat.
hey have the first well known female and non-white candidates that are running serious campaigns that have a good chance of getting elected.

Although their sex and race has very little to do with how good they are, I do like the Dems this year.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:00 am UTC

it doesnt really matter who wins, because the RIAA/MPAA will be president and minority advocacy groups will be VP.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:14 am UTC

Belial wrote:If time=value then value is being created constantly as we move forward in time.

... or else it's the one commodity with which we are all equal. We get an allowance of 24 hours per day each, and we all have no choice but to spend it at exactly the rate we get it.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:01 am UTC

I'm voting for Bill Richardson, as he's the only one who agrees with most of my politics. As well as being the most experienced and being actually good at things like foreign policy. Plus none of the other three democrats still running like to actually talk about issues or policy or really have any differences, they just insult each other and talk about vague things like hope. Listen to Obama speak sometime (I've seen him in person twice), there is a lot of good sentiment and emotion but he doesn't touch on actual policy much. Richardson should have been on your silly little poll instead of the "otter" option, I mean come on, you have 5 republicans.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:59 am UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:I'm voting for Bill Richardson, as he's the only one who agrees with most of my politics. As well as being the most experienced and being actually good at things like foreign policy. Plus none of the other three democrats still running like to actually talk about issues or policy or really have any differences, they just insult each other and talk about vague things like hope. Listen to Obama speak sometime (I've seen him in person twice), there is a lot of good sentiment and emotion but he doesn't touch on actual policy much. Richardson should have been on your silly little poll instead of the "otter" option, I mean come on, you have 5 republicans.

Well the republican race is more "open", it's not some kind of "fairness" competition in how many candidates they get on the poll. Also the otter option is tradition, do not mock it.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:13 pm UTC

This election depresses me. I've heard nothing but "RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE WE'RE NOT REPUBLICAN THERE'S STILL HOPE! FREE HEALTHCARE FOR EVERYONE" tripe from the Democrats and NOTHING AT ALL from the Republicans. Not counting the Ronpaul.

As far as I'm concerned, the Ronpaul is the best candidate we've got, because at least he'll make the oncoming trainwreck INTERESTING. the Ronpaul will light the train on fire and derail it at 120mph, whereas everyone else will just let us drive straight off the cliff.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

wing wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the Ronpaul is the best candidate we've got, because at least he'll make the oncoming trainwreck INTERESTING. the Ronpaul will light the train on fire and derail it at 120mph, whereas everyone else will just let us drive straight off the cliff.

Which is a good thing..... HOW?

I'm going for Obama tho I'm not old enough to vote yet. I just agree with his policies.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:
wing wrote:As far as I'm concerned, the Ronpaul is the best candidate we've got, because at least he'll make the oncoming trainwreck INTERESTING. the Ronpaul will light the train on fire and derail it at 120mph, whereas everyone else will just let us drive straight off the cliff.

Which is a good thing..... HOW?

I'm going for Obama tho I'm not old enough to vote yet. I just agree with his policies.

because we dont go over a cliff?

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Will wrote:My biggest fear is that once in office, Obama will be another do-nothing Democrat like Clinton (whose only major accomplishment in eight years was getting a blowjob from an intern).

I'm sorry, no. No, no, no, no, no. Clinton did amazing things for The Department of Education, positively impacting schools all over the country (which Bush promptly undid with No Child Left Behind). He boosted the economy. He truly was a great president, but he was (is) also human, prone to temptation.
Don't give me that "only major accomplishment ... blowjob" bullshit.

(And don't even get me started on No Child Left Behind. Urgh.)

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:

I'm sorry, no. No, no, no, no, no. Clinton did amazing things for The Department of Education, positively impacting schools all over the country (which Bush promptly undid with No Child Left Behind). He boosted the economy. He truly was a great president, but he was (is) also human, prone to temptation.

Quebec. Foxtrot. Tango.

I know someone who's a PhD and teaches education majors at a state university, and lol if you get her started on NCLB she'll go for days until she passes out from dehydration. It seems Bush put a lot of laws into effect that had the exact opposite effect of their name.

Stay tuned for the "Bountiful Creatures Wholesale Wildlife Extermination Act" of next year...

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

thefiddler wrote:

He was at the right place at the right time. if his run would have been shifted a few years either way he would have missed the dotcom boom. im so sick of the economy bullshit. you fuck with the market you make it worse. the best thing you can do is just leave it alone, except in the case of monopolies and cartels and other anticompetitive practices that only hurt the consumer.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:24 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Well the republican race is more "open", it's not some kind of "fairness" competition in how many candidates they get on the poll. Also the otter option is tradition, do not mock it.

Yes, I'm such an iconoclast.
I'm just saying, you have the Ronpaul on the list, who doesn't have a serious chance of winning overall either, and you also don't have Fred Thompson, who is a more "serious" candidate. The Otter option really wastes valuable space here. Why stick to tradition when it no longer makes sense? (Also, come on, no one laughs at that any more, at least where it is typed straight up like that.)

Dodd and Biden have dropped, if you had Thompson and Richardson, other would have to be someone really obscure, like people writing in Bush for a third term or whatever.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

d3adf001 wrote:He was at the right place at the right time. if his run would have been shifted a few years either way he would have missed the dotcom boom. im so sick of the economy bullshit. you fuck with the market you make it worse. the best thing you can do is just leave it alone, except in the case of monopolies and cartels and other anticompetitive practices that only hurt the consumer.

I agree with the part about Clinton being in the right place at the right time... but I still think he did some good. And as far as "The Market" goes, I agree with you about leaving it alone except in the case of monopolies and cartels, with the understanding that those are what markets naturally tend towards. We've chartered companies to "Make as much money as possible." and that's exactly what they're doing, by any means they feel they can get away with.

Weeds don't win your lawn by fighting fair, being more efficient, and making a better world for all plant-kind. It's much easier to win by cheating... by crowding out the other plants, being taller and blocking the other plants' sunlight, making the ground toxic to other plants... in general doing things that we as humans would consider "bad form." Corporations are no different, and therefore if you ever hear a businessman advocate fundamentalist faith in the market's ability to regulate itself, understand that you're really listening to a fox begging you for the chance to guard the hen house.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

that is true but they win but fucking everyeone else over. and that is a bad thing(tm)

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

[quote=\"@trophy\"][quote=\"d3adf001\"]He was at the right place at the right time. if his run would have been shifted a few years either way he would have missed the dotcom boom. im so sick of the economy bullshit. you fuck with the market you make it worse. the best thing you can do is just leave it alone, except in the case of monopolies and cartels and other anticompetitive practices that only hurt the consumer.[/quote]

I agree with the part about Clinton being in the right place at the right time... but I still think he did some good. And as far as \"The Market\" goes, I agree with you about leaving it alone except in the case of monopolies and cartels, with the understanding that those are what markets naturally tend towards. We\'ve chartered companies to \"Make as much money as possible.\" and that\'s exactly what they\'re doing, by any means they feel they can get away with.

Weeds don\'t win your lawn by fighting fair, being more efficient, and making a better world for all plant-kind. It\'s much easier to win by cheating... by crowding out the other plants, being taller and blocking the other plants\' sunlight, making the ground toxic to other plants... in general doing things that we as humans would consider \"bad form.\" Corporations are no different, and therefore if you ever hear a businessman advocate fundamentalist faith in the market\'s ability to regulate itself, understand that you\'re really listening to a fox begging you for the chance to guard the hen house.[/quote]
How is that cheating, exactly? It\'s competition. The market DESTROYS weak, unfit, and obsolete companies, just as nature DESTROYS weak, unfit, or obsolete organisms. It has nothing to do with size either. If it did, there\'d be no small businesses in America... just as their wouldn\'t be any bacteria in nature. Every organism and every company has a niche or a market to fill. If it doesn\'t, they are eliminated.

The other thing is that both these systems are tremendous engines for advancement. Biological, or economic.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

Could you please remove all the superfluous slashes from that so that it actually works correctly?

They/them

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

because if price fixing and what not. they are shifting the supply curves so they make more money at the expense of the consumer. so would it be fair that if you had only 1 teacher for all your classes and they assigned grades how ever they wanted, or you had 2 teachers and they both got together and fail people they both didnt like? because thats pretty much how a monopoly and cartel work

Kaletécho

Postby Kaletécho » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I'm really glad I live in New Hampshire. I just can't wait until I can vote :roll:

And my sister may be going to Saint Anselm's College! How cool is that?
Spoiler:
Fossa wrote:[The other thread] is clearly about marital arts which, to my understanding, are a lot more painful and involve less grappling than you'd think...

Cheese wrote:I would say "I am a douche", but then someone would sig it.

Return to “General”