The End Came, so now what?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

KevorkianKat

The End Came, so now what?

Postby KevorkianKat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Let's pretend the world ends. No, not a fire and brimstone, angels fighting demons ending, a much more disorderly ending where things just stop working. Something simple, like the US economy crashes (or wherever you live) or the major governments fall into chaos and lose all power, or the military revolts, or peak oil hits. Whatever. Here is the basic scenario:

-You have 1 week to prepare, you start in your house with everything as normal (including some electricity and water)
-There is no electricity from any non "alternative" (solar/wind) power sources
-The police/military don't exist anymore, they gave up covering the streets/nation
-There is no running water (in your house)
-The future is impossible to predict, the problem(s) could go away tomorrow, or never (it's a social/resource problem)
-The problem is not climate based (as in, no crazy "new earth" based scenarios where the sea floods, no plagues, no zombies or whatever)

I won't post my answers or possible scenarios played out yet, but here a few questions to get you going:

-What do you do the first week?
-How do you plan on getting food/water?
-How do you plan on surviving winter? (esp in cold areas)
-Are you going to form a group, or go solo?
-What will you plan for your future?
Last edited by KevorkianKat on Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Gunfingers

Re: The End Came, so now what?

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

One think that has been clearly established is that we're going to need Duct Tape.

AWalkingDisaster

Postby AWalkingDisaster » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Call Bruce Schneier.

Err, what's the point of this excercise? To try and find a way to establish a normal, functioning (if there is one) society again?
I'm actually having a hard time imagining something so devastating happening that it'd bring the whole system to its knees.

/Edit: Aww... no chuck-jokes?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:17 am UTC

This definitely wasn't an SB appropriate thread; however bumping it (and bumping it with Norris jokes, clearly inappropriate for SB also), is almost as bad. This is a warning to all three people in this thread, keep up stuff like that and you'll be banned from Serious Business.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Ok, the western world can not possibly EVER survive soley on what it produces, so the denser the population the more likely you are to die from starvation once the infrastructure collapses. In cities, people are going to die in droves and fighting will erupt within hours as the panic spreads. So to prepare i'd probably travel up to the north of sweden, to herd raindeers and live off the land. How is that possible? Up there there is land to live off, 90% of the meat produced is shipped southwards. With the collapse of infrastructure it is going to rot unless there is poplus to consume the meat, you'll get overproduction in the far north and starvation in the south along with the cities in particular.
so one week to prepare:
Step one; Steal a ethanol driven car, worst case scenario? I have to distill my own fuel. Difficult, but with organisation it's doable. Probably travel with as many trustable as possible, optimal number would be around 10, so an ethanol driven truck would be Ideal.
Winter will be survived as it always has been, lots of thick pelts and some experience (as a swede, winter doesn't worry me at all :lol: )
The plan for the future? Leave that to the kids, lets say that society never manages to "recover" and has to be rebuilt, my job is to raise a kid and teach him EVERYTHING I know, no schools you know, probably get it organised within the group so that the most educated person gets to be a teacher of sorts. Getting a radio is a good idea aswell to keep track of the outside world.
Society will be rebuilt or it will recover, either way, my responsibility is with my near and dear in first hand to "society" only secondly.Medicine will be scarce, but as are guns in sweden. So raiding medical transports should be easy, as there is few you can defend it properly. Works the other way aroudn too though.
Ok now we have a say 30 man village up in the north herding a flock of raindeer living in decent health. What now?
Take contakt, via the radio probably, with larger communities in the area, slowly converge and from systems to benifit everyone. Coastal town needs pelts? we Need fish! Simple trade etc. After that it's meant to continue in the same pattern, large "survivor"-communiteis making contact with each other and forming simple networks. Soon enough information will be getting through atleast and people will realise what's happend etc.
I don't really see any difficulties with this ;)
EsotericWombat wrote:You're... calling the Rolling Stones emo.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:29 am UTC

This would make an awesome idea for a forum game, btw. You think up an elaborate but plausible doomsday scenario, but tell us only the initial situation. Everyone explains their first course of action, then you reveal a few events, and decide who died as a result, and then continue in that fashion.

Edit: Well, I wrote up a whole thread for it, until I realized that it was basically the same idea as here. Saved it because I couldn't stand to give up 15 minutes of writing, but no thread.

Anyway, sort of like what Thor said, I'd get enough gas to go up to northern Ontario. (this is assuming my parents are gone, seeing as that's the only way I'd be able to decide.) I'd bring along my bike, my survival books, and obvious essentials like a knife, rope, food, etc. Oh, and the carbine from the gun cabinet, seeing as I couldn't carry 2 firearms and it'd be more useful than a shotgun. Because it's so rocky up there, the only agriculture is a ton of beef farming, so that'd provide good food for a while. When vegetables stopped coming in to the towns, I'd have to forage for berries. And once it gets to that, I'd start making my way north by bike, because soon people will get desperate and it'll be dangerous to be in populated areas. Then, I'd just hope I can survive in the woods, and hopefully run in to some welcoming people to form a group with.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:39 am UTC

I'd buy quite a few science and engineering and a little math textbooks and several on EXACTLY how computors work from bottom to top (importaint for rebuilding the internet) and probabably move north to the reindeer too, that sounds like a good place

oh and get a wholebunch of steel and a book on makeing plastics from plants

and seeds for several varieties of every aplicable food plant and some other useful ones like hemp

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Buy? It's smash and grab, man, smash and grab.

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:20 am UTC

Rejoice!
I live off the grid already. Own power generation (wind/solar). I get my water from a spring on my property. I don't farm, but I have plenty of land to do so if it came to it. And I have plenty of firearms and ammo.

Only real problem is heating during the winter... currently oil burning furnace. I'm sure I could rig up a wood stove though.

Of course, this will all be moot, because the State of Vermont will have seceded from the union, and will an entirely self contained nation, and we'll tell the rest of you to eff off.
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:15 am UTC

The first week I'd plan to clean up the sticky mess. After that it's just maintenance and staying alive. Even if that means desperate measures.
:arrow:

Akula

Postby Akula » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 am UTC

That, or I'd buy up more guns and ammo and become a bad guy, and steal peoples shit. Why? Because if civilization collapses, long term survival becomes much more difficult. Think of how much has been built up on our civilization, and how little a single person could accomplish by themselves, with no assistance ANYWHERE from ANYONE.

Could you make a threaded bolt? How about a #2 pencil? How about copper wire? What about a pair of shoes remotlely as comfortable and protective as you have now? From scratch? Can you gather all the raw materials, and fashion yourself tools to do this with? No, you can't.

So I'd steal everything I needed, by force if necessary. If civilization has collapsed it doesn't really matter, and it's probably the general publics fault anyway. Give me your shoes bitch!
"I never let my schooling interfere with my education" - Mark Twain

Shizo

Postby Shizo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:40 am UTC

A bad guy..with a partner, perhaps? Or a gang, even? 8)

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:33 am UTC

when the end comes you'll find me on my boat (probably stolen/hijacked), XKCDers are welcome to join me crew but I doubt there will be much pillagin' to be doe, I imagine we'll mostly just sedately drift around, conserving fuel and living off the fat of the seas, Nemo style (only, y'know, above the water)
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

akashra

Postby akashra » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 am UTC

Does anyone actually believe that we're not going to see a recession that makes the great depression look like a pothole in our lifetime? Come 20-30 years or so, things are going to get so bad worldwide, it's going to be difficult to imagine. This will largely be due to the worlds dependence on oil, and that we already have six billion inhabitants, a number rapidly increasing.
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:22 am UTC

travel to yellowstone park with some basic equipment for setting up a camp. Get a couple dozen butane lighters and maybe even a blowtorch for lighting difficult fires. And a rifle with a lot of ammunition, possibly a shotgun for bears.

anyways, kill myself a couple buffalo and get shelter (it's awful.. but.. you can hide inside their chest cavities and stay warm...) and PELTS and bones and helllllla mcuh meat.

Geysers are warm too. Boils away disease-carrying bacteria, if you're careful.

basically i'd jumpstart with the guns and the firestarters and work my way around until I learn how to accurately.. i dunno.. use a bow and arrow, and start fires easier... such like that.
uhhhh fuck.

Jaro

Postby Jaro » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:23 pm UTC

Shizo wrote:A bad guy..with a partner, perhaps? Or a gang, even? 8)

I just saw The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, great movie.

On-Topic:

I'd go up north to the reindeers, as Thor said. But I'm thinking about helicopters; if one makes a helicopter run off of ethanol and learns how to fly it, I believe it would be superior to anything else because then you can fly over the landscape and shoot whatever you like. Anyway, I'll fly my helicopter up north, try to find an abandoned cottage or perhaps build one myself (always wanted to live in one). I'll try to take some friends with whom I can trust and I believe can help creating things.
Water you can make by melting snow, food you get by shooting animals from your helicopter. Now, how about the internet? If it's functional I would try to access it somehow, if it was not I would try to contact people via radio or other means of communication and try to make everyone cooperate and create Internet 2. From there we could try to rebuild socity.

Someone mentioned a boat. I think that's a great idea. Just float around on the ocean, fishing, swimming etc. Maybe with some friends.
You could try to find people by going from shore to shore and unite them by giving them radios and a frequency so that all of mankind can contact eachother. You would then become president and rule the world!

KevorkianKat

Postby KevorkianKat » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:54 pm UTC

Wow, lots of people who live in Sweden here who would simply go north and herd reindeer ;)

I'm somewhat surprised at the number of people who would "go north" without much of a plan for actually surviving on their own resources (at least realistically). Going south, or to a warmer, longer, growing season seems to be a more natural response, so I suppose if you wanted to avoid people that would be the way to do it. It seems more like a "zombie" reaction than a natural one though, I mean, how many of you know how to survive in the winter in the north? How many have even been camping once during a snowstorm with nothing more than a tent or a wooden, handbuilt, leantoo? And why would there be abandoned cabins/houses? Let's say that you do find one, how long do you think it will be until someone else comes along, either for raiding or the same as you?

The growing season is rather short in the north too, and nobody seemed to be interested in picking up any type of seeds to grow, somehow living off meat and berries (good luck with the berry season in the north). You also can't simply make plastic out of plants, that's a factor of a thousand times harder than finding a reliable way to filter ethanol (which no, there is simply no way to make a helicopter run on). Buffalo carceses seem to be a good idea at first, but then you have to deal with any critters than also happen to like to eat buffalo (which, from what I hear, aren't roaming nearly as much as they used to). Unless you know how to cure leather (which is actually doable) your hide is going to decay and smell rather badly past a week.

I think Thor was on the best track, making a small possibly sustainable village and hoping for others to do the same (which in Sweden where everyone is prepared for winter, might actually work). You'd still have to contend for housing, or build your own, which is somewhat of a problem, but fixable with the right knowledge and tools. Also mentioned, was that you need a skilled person for each different tradecraft. You can't simply accept people who might be strong or quick witted, they actually have to have a skill they can put to active use almost every day so that you can survive.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

My area probably isn't the best for surviving without civilization, so I think I'd have to pack up and move out to a forest or somewhere where they have things for survival that can be acquired easily. Some preliminary preparation is required though: I'd wrap up warm (it's quite cold here and although my cold threshold is lower than most people's it's still not very nice). Try and find something to sharpen up the ornamental katana I have on my wall for defence (no guns here - I'd have to steal from a police station or something). Get all my backpacks, carrying apparatus and pouches and fix them to a belt for carrying as much stuff as I can take. Get medicine: first I'd take every painkiller, antibiotic and other useful drugs from my house then I'd raid the pharmacy fifteen minutes away and take lots of antibiotics, analgesics, anti-histamines, plasters, disinfectants, dressings and other medical miscellanea. Get some improvised survival gear from my house: ropes, cords, knives, pots, pans, water bottles, torches, rags and cloth, etc. Water is pretty heavy to carry with me, so I'd probably take 4-5 litres to start with and there's plenty of rain around to purify, plus I also know how to distill safe drinking water from urine, so if push comes to shove I can do that (as long as I have a shovel, two vessels of some kind and a plastic sheet). I'll need stuff like maps, compasses and navigational trappings, but I can loot them from a bunch of the outdoor shops in the town centre (along with large amounts of Kendal Mint cake and other high-energy, low-weight emergency foods).

When the preparation is done I'll probably head south-east into England and try to find the Forest of Dean. It's a forest, so plenty of shelter from wind and rain, lots of building materials for improvised weapons (bows and arrows are fairly easy to construct - I made one when I was twelve and my only problem was I wasn't strong enough to string it myself). And there's likely a lot of farms nearby that I can find animals to eat at (I'm actually a vegetarian but to be honest I'd chose survival over animal welfare). I can use their hides and hair/tendons to make clothes (I suck at sewing but I'll have time to practice) and bones to make cutlery, knives, needles, buttons, fasteners and other stuff. If the farms have been abandoned there's likely to be plenty of useful stuff in the houses attached to them. If not, I can always ask the people there for shelter or anything they'd be willing to spare.

As for other people, safety in numbers and the more the merrier, I'd say. I'd probably mill around my city for a few days trying to find people I know and persuade them to come along with me to a more sustainable environment. I'd probably offer anyone I met along the way to come along with me too, since you never know what kind of people they are (and what skills they might have) and survival is a cause that can unite us all. Plus more people to talk to will lower the chance of getting depressed from isolation in the forest.

That's all I can think off the top of my head. I'm pretty creative and can adapt things to be used for stuff they normally aren't used for so I reckon I'd fare pretty well.

Jaro

Postby Jaro » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:23 pm UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:...Let's say that you do find one, how long do you think it will be until someone else comes along, either for raiding or the same as you?...

I would get in my helicopter and chop their heads off...

I do think you are right though, one would need a defense of some sort. Traps or mines if you can get them, although mines would be pretty dangerous because of the risk of not remembering where, under all that snow, there is one. I guess the best thing one could do would be to bring friends, get guns, learn to aim and shoot and throw grenades.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

akashra wrote:Does anyone actually believe that we're not going to see a recession that makes the great depression look like a pothole in our lifetime? Come 20-30 years or so, things are going to get so bad worldwide, it's going to be difficult to imagine. This will largely be due to the worlds dependence on oil, and that we already have six billion inhabitants, a number rapidly increasing.

Yeah, while I'm not sure if it'll be in our lifetime, I fully believe humanity is going to go spiraling back to the ground. I mean, I also think we'll pull through in the end, but at a huge cost, and then the enlightened survivors are going to be stuck with the effed up planet we've worked so hard to screw over in these past 200 years.

Jaro wrote:food you get by shooting animals from your helicopter.

Er... that's not really how helicopters, projectiles, and animals work.

First, animals are very small when seen from a helicopter. Animals will RUN LIKE THE DICKENS when they hear the deafening sound of a helicopter above them. Helicopters, even when hovering, move around a lot, making an accurate shot nearly impossible. (If you move closer for a better shot, see "RUN LIKE THE DICKENS".) A helicopter, especially if used daily as you suggest, is going to need a lot of fuel. I'm no expert on the subject, but my guess is it that it would take you huge amounts of time to distill that much fuel, if it's even possible to run a helicopter on ethanol.

I won't even mention how impossible it would be to find game from a helicopter, unless you were hunting african elephant on the savannah or something.

As for going north, what's wrong with berries? We're not going to the freakin' arctic, it's not a wasteland. Yes, I've been winter camping before, and it's not terrible. Plus, in northern Ontario where I'm planning to go, you still get summer for 1/3 of the year with temperatures reaching 25 degrees or so. There are enough berries to support a hundred thousand black bears, which are bigger than a person and are also omnivores. Not to mention there are also plenty of other edibles such as mushrooms and roots if you know what to look for.

Whereas in the south, you get a warmer climate and more plentiful food at the cost of an almost year-round insect breeding season (bug netting is one of the most valuable things you can possibly have in a survival situation) and a multitude of more dangerous animals, like poisonous insects and larger predators. And if you're not talking THAT far south, then.. what are you talking about? Anything north of there is pretty much the most populated climate there is. You go north because noone lives up there, and as a result there's more wildlife to live off of.

@trophy

Postby @trophy » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:As for other people, safety in numbers and the more the merrier, I'd say. I'd probably mill around my city for a few days trying to find people I know and persuade them to come along with me to a more sustainable environment. I'd probably offer anyone I met along the way to come along with me too, since you never know what kind of people they are (and what skills they might have) and survival is a cause that can unite us all. Plus more people to talk to will lower the chance of getting depressed from isolation in the forest.

Bring a few, but don't bring too many friends. You don't want to be constantly fighting the fact that you're over-hunting or over-fishing or over-grazing your area. However many people your area can support of course depends on the area in question, but don't over-do it. If you can under-hunt, each animal you take will require less effort and you will be a lot happier.
Insignificant Deification wrote:Because, sometimes, you've gotta have a taste of vulva

papercut_ska

Postby papercut_ska » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:or the major governments fall into chaos and lose all power...

Wait....hasn't this already happened? The end is nigh!
------------------------

longcat is loooooooong.

Felstaff wrote:200 miles to an Englishman is a long way, just like 200 years to an American is a long time.

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

Wow, it seems like i struck a chord there...
Bad news for england btw, you're SCREWED you actually have the least selfsustainable ecosystem on the planet, with the only possible contender being japan. I'd get off that sinking ship as soon as possible. What we're looking for are areas with large food exports and very little imports, Northern sweden is a typical example of this. South , unless you think you've got the skills to live in say, the amazonas, is a veeery bad idea. Unless you think you can surive in a tropical rainforest, south is bad. if you look at any map of the world you'll notice that most of civilasation lies in two belts, the norther and the southern temperd and sub-tropical zones. The only issue being that 80% of the southern temperd zone is ocean.
So find target areas with untapped food resources, generally due to inaccessability, much of inland euro-asia is ideal aswell. Best avoid india though too far south and the overpopulation is only sustained -by the now about to collapse- infrastructure.

It might take a while to gather the lynch mob. no one really planned against this eventuality.

krynd wrote:That'd make an awesome sig. Unfortunately, I'm sure self-sigging isn't allowed...

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:51 am UTC

I'd head a few hundred miles west to my grandfather's old farm. Assuming it's been kept basically as it was a decade ago, it has a wood-burning stove for heat, hundreds of gallons of diesel, enough land to feed my extended family, a fair number of deer nearby that could be hunted, and, once I'd gathered the family, something like 60-70 rifles and shotguns.

If I'm lucky, my aunt Stacy will be there, instead of being on the other side of the freaking world (missionary). She's a nurse, and other than 3 Eagle Scouts and a few other ex-Boy Scouts, we don't really have a whole lot of medical expertise in this family.

Oh, and if I knew for certain that the end was coming, I'd spend most of the week leading up to the crash bouncing checks and buying things on credit. I'm not going to have to pay for it, and there's a lot of stuff I could buy to make things easier.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:34 am UTC

Right now, I have a house, a wood stove, a good-sized chunk of land in temperate climate, a book describing how to grow a balanced diet on a similarly sized chunk of land, a water filter, and a decent river within walking distance. Unfortunately, I live not too far from a city, which is sure to provide a steady flow of desperate people more than willing to destroy my fields and steal all of my food. (If they weren't around, I'd go about getting a LOT of wood, a lot of seeds, warm clothes, extra fuel, a system to turn sun into electricity, lots of extra food, a few five-gallon water containers, insulate a liveable piece of a house, and get a-farmin'.) instead, I think I'd buy some useful supplies and a next-day plane ticket to some sparsely-populated-but-still-temperate area of South America.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:40 am UTC

I think I'd be fine where I am (or very close to where I am). There's a very clean lake (it's one of two used as a water reservoir for a decent sized city that's about an hour away) very close to me, and winter would be easily survivable without electricity since most people around here heat their homes with wood stoves anyway. The area is covered in deer, and I'm surrounded by farmland/forests, so I think food would be obtainable.

I would definitely form a small group of intelligent people, because I certainly don't know even close to everything about a large number of subjects. I would try to purchase a generator and a lot of fuel as well as a fuel efficient car that can hold a decent amount for getting water. I'd also try to obtain as much farming equipment as possible as well as guns and plenty of ammunition. Also probably walkie-talkies and plenty of batteries, and a bunch of containers for cooking/holding food and water. As I said, winter shouldn't be too much of a problem so I'm not too concerned about that. I'd also try to fortify my house since there would in all probability be people I didn't want to come in trying to come in.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:51 am UTC

Actually, now that I think of it, I'd head to Newfoundland. It's an island with a relatively small population, good fishing (be it inland or at sea), the second-highest moose concentration on the planet (about 1 moose for every 5 residents), and also lots of caribou and black bear. Plus, TONS OF BERRIES. Seriously. People just stop by the road there and pick berries to make jam.

I think it'd actually make a very good safe haven. Its interior is pretty much completely unpopulated (as most towns are centred on the fishing industry), providing a quiet place with relatively plentiful food.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 am UTC

KevorkianKat wrote:-You have 1 week to prepare, you start in your house with everything as normal (including some electricity and water)
-There is no electricity from any non "alternative" (solar/wind) power sources
-The police/military don't exist anymore, they gave up covering the streets/nation
-There is no running water (in your house)
-The future is impossible to predict, the problem(s) could go away tomorrow, or never (it's a social/resource problem)
-The problem is not climate based (as in, no crazy "new earth" based scenarios where the sea floods, no plagues, no zombies or whatever)

-What do you do the first week?
-How do you plan on getting food/water?
-How do you plan on surviving winter? (esp in cold areas)
-Are you going to form a group, or go solo?
-What will you plan for your future?

I'm not sure exactly what I'd do, but I'll give it a shot.

First off, I wouldn't end up going to far from where I am (the Central Valley in California). The climate's probably as good as it's going to get (the winters aren't too harsh, unless you're up in the mountains, and the summers are fine), and there's a ton of food-growing space, as well as some forests not too far off.

Assuming that my parents were not in this scenario, I'd first go and gather my friends. I figure everyone must have some skill of use, and if not, they can at least help with everything else. I'd try to keep the group small (<20, definitely), but if someone needed to come with us or they'd die, I wouldn't refuse them a spot, either. I'd gather good, relatively fuel efficient cars and make sure they all had as much trunk space as could be managed, to transport supplies. I'd also raid the local sporting goods shop and get as much of their hunting/fishing equipment as possible, as well as a guide for edible plants and such. I'd also gather all of my backpacking equipment and tell people to pack their shit, and then bust out the maps and try to find the most sustainable location relatively close. I'd prefer someplace that was larger houses with big yards/parks/fields near them that could be converted to small-scale farming, rather than a huge farm or some other place that couldn't be easily defended.

For getting food, I'd first raid any stores that weren't already stripped and gather as much non-perishable food as possible, and then raid the various nurseries/greenhouses/agricultural fields around my town for seeds and starter plants (and there's a lot of nurseries/greenhouses/fields around here, so I wouldn't have too much trouble finding these). After the seeds and such had been gathered, I'd plant them as soon as it was practical, and if I were in a more rural area, I'd probably have my group start hunting right away as well. For power, I'd see if there was any way I could get a hold of a large generator that ran on gasoline for starters, although a bunch of smaller ones would do in a pinch. Water could be purified from a nearby water source (using filters or iodine/chlorine tablets, or, failing those, boiling), and if there isn't one of those, it's probably better to change location (water is good for you!).

As far as planning for the future, I guess I would just keep twerking things until they were sustainable and easy to handle for the group, and then just keep on living as long as I could. If any kids happened, have the people in the group teach them all they know, because passing on knowledge would be pretty damn important. I would have also hopefully remembered to raid libraries/bookstores for books on all sorts of subjects, although that takes a back seat to survival gear.

P.S. I realize I've left some details out, but I think this is enough for now.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:Wow, it seems like i struck a chord there...
Bad news for England btw, you're SCREWED you actually have the least selfsustainable ecosystem on the planet, with the only possible contender being japan. I'd get off that sinking ship as soon as possible. What we're looking for are areas with large food exports and very little imports,

Well bugger. How the damning hell am I supposed to cross the channel without fuel, carpentry skills or any idea how to drive a ship? Well, I could always try and steal one at Dover - they're bound to have compasses, fuel metres, gauges and all sorts of stuff to help me get across. Hell, it might even have GPS if I'm lucky. No idea if I could get to Dover in a week though.

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:31 pm UTC

1. open gun safe

2. pack bags from pantry

3. I knew that water filter would come in handy someday...

4. cull the population or die trying

5. live off the land, it's a nice climate here

Honestly I would have preferred a more disastrous "new Earth" situation where a majority of the world's population has already died. Because really I wouldn't enjoy killing people, at all, even though I wouldn't have much choice in the matter if order isn't going to be restored in the foreseeable future. And you know that I'M not going to be the one to try doing it, because my leadership skills are wanting.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

ThorFluff wrote:South , unless you think you've got the skills to live in say, the amazonas, is a veeery bad idea. Unless you think you can surive in a tropical rainforest, south is bad.

See, going south is a relative term. For a Canadian Yukonian for example, South might merely mean Washington State. I could even mean Northern California, or even the Baja peninsula. Doesn't necessarily mean Costa Rica... not to mention that'd be one hell of a trip.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Another interesting possibility would be to spend all your resources stealing a ship and sailing out to a small inhabited island in the tropics. If you could somehow gain the trust of the natives, and prove you have a valuable skill, you could chill with them for a few years.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Well bugger. How the damning hell am I supposed to cross the channel without fuel, carpentry skills or any idea how to drive a ship? Well, I could always try and steal one at Dover - they're bound to have compasses, fuel metres, gauges and all sorts of stuff to help me get across. Hell, it might even have GPS if I'm lucky. No idea if I could get to Dover in a week though.
Do it before civilization ends? Otherwise, walk through the train tunnel?

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
ThorFluff wrote:Wow, it seems like i struck a chord there...
Bad news for England btw, you're SCREWED you actually have the least selfsustainable ecosystem on the planet, with the only possible contender being japan. I'd get off that sinking ship as soon as possible. What we're looking for are areas with large food exports and very little imports,

Well bugger. How the damning hell am I supposed to cross the channel without fuel, carpentry skills or any idea how to drive a ship? Well, I could always try and steal one at Dover - they're bound to have compasses, fuel metres, gauges and all sorts of stuff to help me get across. Hell, it might even have GPS if I'm lucky. No idea if I could get to Dover in a week though.

I say go north and herd raindeers, People go north and herd raindeer.
I say leave england as soon as possible, People leave england in a hurry.

This scenario is very alarming, people doing what I tell them to is bad. I seriously do not want that responsibility. But as egomanically as it might sound, i'll probably end up leading no matter what i want. As if my Weltangst weren't bad enough.

stockpot

Postby stockpot » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:43 am UTC

Where will you get a flock of reindeer and learn how to herd them so quickly?

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:17 am UTC

Raindeers are plenty in northern sweden. And as infrastructure has gone down, raindeers will be in HUGE surplus. Thusly i figure i could trade medicin and other things from the city for a smallish herd and some basic instructions. Note that i don't need a huge herd. The herds that exists up there are vaaast and 99% of the produce is exported. So the ones who own herds up there is going to have noone to sell the meat to, thusly keeping such a gigantic herd is just a waste of energy.
Man I can't believe I've actually thought this through, it's so unlike me

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:39 am UTC

1. Panic

2. Gather up pretty undergarments and makeup and nice smelling soap from home and deserted supermarkets.

3. Lose weight from starvation and hunter-gather lifestyle

4. Trade sexual favours for help converting a van of some sort to use ethanol

5. Turn the van into a mobile lovenest; become a companion, trading favours for food and other necessities.

6. Figure out how to make condoms in spare time for when stocks run out.

7. Hoard enough money, stuff, favours and allies for when I get saggy.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Sheep or why not Raindeer colon have been used extensivly in the past.
Living off the basic needs of humanity isn't a bad plan, Dangerous business, certainly even more after the collapse of society. You'll need an entrouage of hooligans or to operate within the borders of a small structured society, such as a village. Otherwise, why would the customers even pay for your services? there is no law that says they have to, or atleast noone to enforce it.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:05 am UTC

Fine. I'll die.

This was my original plan anyway; I'm pretty sure I'll be a bit of a dead weight in disastrous circumstances. I'm pesimistic, have no real skills, and very emotional (see point 1. of my first post). This adds up to "oh fuck it we're all doomed anyway!" mentality. I would have given up just before Gandalf arrived at the battle of Helm's Deep :(
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

ThorFluff
Ursus Onanis

Postby ThorFluff » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:17 am UTC

Impending destruction tends to conjure up some impressive survival instincts in even the most hopeless of spirits.
But don't be like that! You don't need to be überspecial at anything really. I mean, i don't know a flying fuck about herding raindeer, But i'll learn to.
In this very hypothetical scenario, I'd be glad to have you along, no matter your skills, as long as your reasonable.

Return to “General”