Wierd dream thing. Does this happen to everyone?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Wierd dream thing. Does this happen to everyone?

Postby Narsil » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

So last night I fell asleep watching TV. I hardly ever watch TV, and never sleep to it, but this time something kind of weird happened, the Tv seemed to be in my dreams. I happened to be watching Comedy Central, and for anyone who watches late-night CC, every other commercial is an ad for Girls Gone Wild. No kidding. I'm sure you can do the math from there, but the dream wasn't nearly as fun as you would think. It was kind of like a guy was shouting the commercial at me throughout my dream.

Later, I had a dream where there was some sort of happy musical number, with a bunch of people dancing, and then they got mowed down by a car, after which it started chasing me. The weird thing is, I remembered the song afterwards.

So my question was, can you hear stuff while sleeping? I had always thought it was impossible to learn and store information while asleep.

Also, share similar experiences.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

i

Postby i » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

I had a "Homeward Bound"-type dream whose conclusion was set to the music of my clock radio.

mwace

Postby mwace » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:45 am UTC

My experience with hearing things in dreams is very similear to a particular scene transition in the Matrix. Neo's in that S&M party early in the movie, talking with Trinity in a corner, and while's he's standing their just after Trinity left an alarm starts to get louder and louder until the visual cuts to him lying in bed with a clock alarm in the forground, the sound being a lot colder, harder, and more empty once the visual cut.

Thats it almost exactly for me. That is, when I'm woken up in the middle of a dream. This is not always the case.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:50 am UTC

I know after that 16 hour lan party alot of computer games and poker featured in my dreams >.>

:roll:

Just for that day though...

aisling
Has (underage) boobs

Postby aisling » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:48 am UTC

I had a dream just last night that I was in a sort of pet shop type place, except it was actually a zoo (but it was layed-out like the Superpet near my house), and I was looking at these strange snail-like creatures that had human esc faces (probably brought on by watching the Apprentice "Dead Kitty" episode during business class) and when my friend Vlada rubbed her fingers down the glass to make a squeaking sound (which I actually heard within the dream) they started like, freaking out. It was scary.

Also, I fell asleep with my discman (this was a couple years ago) still playing, and I had a dream to the tune of "Lose my breath" by Destiny's Child. Don't ask my why I was listening to that, I just was. And it was a terrible dream.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:32 am UTC

I've had dreams in which the speech of those around me was a copy of what people were saying in the real world. It made less sense in dream-land (though it still made some sense, which is kind of cool).
I've also made up songs in my sleep, although when I woke up (while I still remembered them) I decided they weren't that good.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Rat
Rattus Trolleri

Postby Rat » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 am UTC

yeah i remember falling asleep to a bond movie or something and its like all the dialog was in my dream, but i had my own nifty video to all the tv's sounds... was pretty leet if i do say so myself.

and there have been times when my mom has been trying to wake me up or my alarm would be going off and they would just fit right into my dream...

yeah..

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:58 am UTC

Ooh, one time I was listening to Celtic music on my MP3 player and I dreamed I was at a school and I saw JRR Tolkien. Freakin' awesome. I guess I subconsciously associate Celtic music with the Shire. Oh, and then I got locked in a library with no way to get out and I fought a shadow version of myself. Go figure, but still awesome.

Another time my mom was trying to wake me up while I was dreaming my brothers were bugging me, so I screamed "Go Away!!", but apparently it was out loud too. So then I woke up confused, with a sore and red cheek and I had no idea why.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

svk1325

Postby svk1325 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:19 am UTC

Every night as I'm sleeping, I listen to music from a music/rhythm game somewhat like DDR. I get dreams of myself playing the game surprisingly often. I'd say every 1 in 5 dreams. Maybe I might want to change songs for a bit.

Also, whenever I am with my cousins, they are usually playing video games. RPG games on game consoles, specifically. But anyways, sometimes I get tired and really couldn't be bothered to go across the house to the guest bedroom (so I'm very lazy, what else's new?). So I'd take a nap on the couch behind where they are playing. I would usually get very strange dreams of me playing the same game and being in it at the exact same time.
"Insanity in a measured dose is a good thing - the difficulty lies in the measurement."

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

I hear music when I'm awake because I have a really vivid imagination for things besides pictures. Of course my dreams have music! It's like having your own personal theme soundtrack.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

xnull

Postby xnull » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:56 am UTC

Yes. I do not normally listen to music, but once left some Royksopp on and certain loud parts of the album that was left looping was introduced into my dreams. In fact, the only memories from the dreams that are still with me (after a week) collide with the song. Anyway, if you must know, there was a part where I had a conversation full of Roysopp lyrics (two person conversation) and one part where I was singing on stage (my subconscience must not be that creative).
This statement is false.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

I read to get to sleep often. Sometimes, I will fall asleep and not notice, because my brain is making up the words for me to read. Coherent sentences that fit in with the Story So Far, but... different to the actual book. I will often wake up halfway and have lost my place in the RL book.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Return to “General”